PDA

View Full Version : Was drafting Trent more than a "best available" situation?

NorthCarBills
09-16-2007, 03:35 PM
I've been rooting and supporting JP all along, including today. But even when he had time to pass, the throws were way off. I realize he's pretty much working with two decent receivers ... Evans and Parrish...and his comfort target Reed was out. He also has a coordinator calling piss poor plays. All valid points.

Regardless, his play today made me feel extremely uncomfortable, and what I mean by this goes well beyond the visible evidence as seen on the field.

This is not a call to bench JP. I'm trying to be positive, but it's getting harder and harder every week.

So, my questions are:

Was Edwards a pick that was more than a "best available" type decision?
Did the front office see this coming?
What should we as Bills fans honestly expect (not necessarily want) with our QB situation if this continues by mid-season.

CSFAN
09-16-2007, 03:37 PM
People on this board were absolutely blasting the Edwards pick when it happened (some, not all) - as though our QB situation was "all set."

That pick just might have saved Buffalo's future. Can you imagine if Nall was our backup right now? At least we've got someone we can bring in & groom for the future, if JP puts up a few more games like this.

I think it's safe to say that JP's showing at the end of last year wasn't enough to give the Bills full confidence in him...

Elminster
09-16-2007, 03:40 PM
I honestly don't think we'd have a successful offense no matter who we had behind center. JP isn't doing us any favors though...

Nighthawk
09-16-2007, 03:40 PM
I've been rooting and supporting JP all along, including today. But even when he had time to pass, the throws were way off. I realize he's pretty much working with two decent receivers ... Evans and Parrish...and his comfort target Reed was out. He also has a coordinator calling piss poor plays. All valid points.

Regardless, his play today made me feel extremely uncomfortable, and what I mean by this goes well beyond the visible evidence as seen on the field.

This is not a call to bench JP. I'm trying to be positive, but it's getting harder and harder every week.

So, my questions are:

What should we as Bills fans honestly expect (not necessarily want) with our QB situation if this continues by mid-season.

Although I would much rather be talking about how good JP has looked through the first 2 weeks, it is obvious that we are coming to a fork in the road and we will need to make a decision. If JP continues to look bad, then we NEED to put Edwards in to get some experience...PERIOD. Also, it is beginning to look like we need to replace this entire coaching staff again.

Novacane
09-16-2007, 03:42 PM
They drafted Edwards because they are not sold on JP. Good thing they did.

OpIv37
09-16-2007, 03:43 PM
People on this board were absolutely blasting the Edwards pick when it happened (some, not all) - as though our QB situation was "all set."

That pick just might have saved Buffalo's future. Can you imagine if Nall was our backup right now? At least we've got someone we can bring in & groom for the future, if JP puts up a few more games like this.

I think it's safe to say that JP's showing at the end of last year wasn't enough to give the Bills full confidence in him...

I was bashing the pick because I thought we had more immediate needs than backup QB.

But now it's starting to look like the coaches were thinking more along the lines of starting QB. This coaching staff has never had confidence in Losman- that's clear from the plays they've called both this year and last year. That may be adding to Losman's problems, but if he's not good enough, it's really irrelevant.

Philagape
09-16-2007, 03:44 PM
If they wanted a QB to begin with, why did they wait til late in the third round? And how could they have known Edwards would fall that far?

DraftBoy
09-16-2007, 03:50 PM

1. No it was not the Bills FO had no idea where Edwards would go and while I didnt like the pick then it does look smarter given what we've seen from our QB so far. But no I do not think that they went into the draft saying we have to take a QB.

2. I think that overall Marv lacks confidence in JP, always has and I said so last season. I dont know if anybody could do well in that kind of a situation, so I think they wanted this to come.

3. If by the bye week Losman has not turned it around its time for the hook. We have to see something from Edwards too and I know Ill be just as critical of him as I am of Losman. Honestly Im not sold on Edwards but will give him his shot if he's given the ball, but I think we could do much better at the QB posistion.

CSFAN
09-16-2007, 03:51 PM
"If they wanted a QB to begin with, why did they wait til late in the third round? And how could they have known Edwards would fall that far?"

A decent question. The answer if probably more complex than anything that could be covered here. Maybe they were also looking at free agency; maybe they're just like us - they weren't too impressed, but wanted to believe this would be a potential breakout year for him.

With QB's, it's such a guessing game. It is very, very hard to draft & groom a franchise QB in this league, and there aren't many of them out there. I don't think they were looking to JP to become a great; just someone who could run the offense without too many mistakes. He's just not panning out, as of today.

The Edwards pick, in hindsight, was definitely sound. I actually kind of hope JP doesn't impress over the next game or 2, so Edwards can get a shot. I don't want a QB who can play 1 good game out of 3 or 4...

Michael82
09-16-2007, 03:56 PM
I still think that they screwed up by not drafting a ****ing wide receiver. Outside of Lee Evans and Roscoe Parrish.....our WR corps blow!!!

DraftBoy
09-16-2007, 03:58 PM
I still think that they screwed up by not drafting a ****ing wide receiver. Outside of Lee Evans and Roscoe Parrish.....our WR corps blow!!!

Drafting a WR or an athletic TE

Michael82
09-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Drafting a WR or an athletic TE
Exactly! Instead we go with a QB and then another RB in the 4th round. :ill:

DraftBoy
09-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Exactly! Instead we go with a QB and then another RB in the 4th round. :ill:

I was harsh of those picks when they were made if you remember correctly

Michael82
09-16-2007, 04:09 PM
I was harsh of those picks when they were made if you remember correctly
yeah you were. I hated them too. Hell, I thought that after Poz, Marv was too busy celebrating that he just forgot about the draft. Oh, plus he fell in love with Trent Edwards. I'm sorry, but with how lousy our team is...u don't take someone like Edwards, when you have a QB here and he needs help on the OL, WRs, and a big TE!

PcA125
09-16-2007, 04:11 PM
I agree that we are in desperate need of a TE... a nice big target for when the Qb gets into trouble or when the WR cant get open.

The Losman situation is really starting to frustrate me. Ive been a Homer since the begining, but I am def losing faith in him. As of this point im having a hard time seeing us getting a W this year. I didnt see much of the pre-season but ive heard good things about edwards from you guys. Maybe it is time to scrap JP.

Mitchy moo
09-16-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm sorry, but with how lousy our team is...u don't take someone like Edwards, when you have a QB here

Mikey, How can you even say we have a QB.

Elminster
09-16-2007, 04:17 PM
I agree that we are in desperate need of a TE... a nice big target for when the Qb gets into trouble or when the WR cant get open.

The Losman situation is really starting to frustrate me. Ive been a Homer since the begining, but I am def losing faith in him. As of this point im having a hard time seeing us getting a W this year. I didnt see much of the pre-season but ive heard good things about edwards from you guys. Maybe it is time to scrap JP.
That was against third-stringers and the like. I doubt he's going to play well at all. In fact, I doubt anyone could play well. Our offense is toothless, in its strategy, its arsenal, and its execution. Trent Edwards, however good or bad he may be, isn't going to make receivers get open, or make the blitz pick-up better, or, perhaps most vitally, improve the atrocious play-calling. Too much is wrong to be fixed by one personnel move. The way our offense looks, throwing Edwards in may well turn him into Carr 2.0...

Michael82
09-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Mikey, How can you even say we have a QB.
because unlike you guys.....2 games is NOT enough for me to kick our starting quarterback in the balls and scrap it and start over again, which means going thru the progressions with a new rookie QB and taking the lumps all over again. :ill:

I want JP to have half the season and if he sucks balls, I'm ready to cut bait and get him off the team. Right now if he keeps up his current play, he might be begging the staff to pull him after the bye. :ill:

Ebenezer
09-16-2007, 05:41 PM
i need to dig out the innumerable posts from last season where I said JP had until the bye week this season to get a clue...