Was drafting Trent more than a "best available" situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NorthCarBills
    • Jan 2006

Was drafting Trent more than a "best available" situation?

I've been rooting and supporting JP all along, including today. But even when he had time to pass, the throws were way off. I realize he's pretty much working with two decent receivers ... Evans and Parrish...and his comfort target Reed was out. He also has a coordinator calling piss poor plays. All valid points.

Regardless, his play today made me feel extremely uncomfortable, and what I mean by this goes well beyond the visible evidence as seen on the field.

This is not a call to bench JP. I'm trying to be positive, but it's getting harder and harder every week.

So, my questions are:
    • Was Edwards a pick that was more than a "best available" type decision?
    • Did the front office see this coming?
    • What should we as Bills fans honestly expect (not necessarily want) with our QB situation if this continues by mid-season.
  • CSFAN
    • Mar 2007

Re: Was drafting Trent more than a "best available" situation?

People on this board were absolutely blasting the Edwards pick when it happened (some, not all) - as though our QB situation was "all set."

That pick just might have saved Buffalo's future. Can you imagine if Nall was our backup right now? At least we've got someone we can bring in & groom for the future, if JP puts up a few more games like this.

I think it's safe to say that JP's showing at the end of last year wasn't enough to give the Bills full confidence in him...

Comment

• Elminster
      #1 Kelsay Fan
      • Oct 2006

I honestly don't think we'd have a successful offense no matter who we had behind center. JP isn't doing us any favors though...
      Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• Nighthawk
        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NorthCarBills
        I've been rooting and supporting JP all along, including today. But even when he had time to pass, the throws were way off. I realize he's pretty much working with two decent receivers ... Evans and Parrish...and his comfort target Reed was out. He also has a coordinator calling piss poor plays. All valid points.

Regardless, his play today made me feel extremely uncomfortable, and what I mean by this goes well beyond the visible evidence as seen on the field.

This is not a call to bench JP. I'm trying to be positive, but it's getting harder and harder every week.

So, my questions are:
        • What should we as Bills fans honestly expect (not necessarily want) with our QB situation if this continues by mid-season.
        Although I would much rather be talking about how good JP has looked through the first 2 weeks, it is obvious that we are coming to a fork in the road and we will need to make a decision. If JP continues to look bad, then we NEED to put Edwards in to get some experience...PERIOD. Also, it is beginning to look like we need to replace this entire coaching staff again.

Comment

• Novacane
          • Jul 2002

They drafted Edwards because they are not sold on JP. Good thing they did.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by CSFAN
            People on this board were absolutely blasting the Edwards pick when it happened (some, not all) - as though our QB situation was "all set."

That pick just might have saved Buffalo's future. Can you imagine if Nall was our backup right now? At least we've got someone we can bring in & groom for the future, if JP puts up a few more games like this.

I think it's safe to say that JP's showing at the end of last year wasn't enough to give the Bills full confidence in him...
            I was bashing the pick because I thought we had more immediate needs than backup QB.

But now it's starting to look like the coaches were thinking more along the lines of starting QB. This coaching staff has never had confidence in Losman- that's clear from the plays they've called both this year and last year. That may be adding to Losman's problems, but if he's not good enough, it's really irrelevant.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

If they wanted a QB to begin with, why did they wait til late in the third round? And how could they have known Edwards would fall that far?
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NorthCarBills
                1. No it was not the Bills FO had no idea where Edwards would go and while I didnt like the pick then it does look smarter given what we've seen from our QB so far. But no I do not think that they went into the draft saying we have to take a QB.

2. I think that overall Marv lacks confidence in JP, always has and I said so last season. I dont know if anybody could do well in that kind of a situation, so I think they wanted this to come.

3. If by the bye week Losman has not turned it around its time for the hook. We have to see something from Edwards too and I know Ill be just as critical of him as I am of Losman. Honestly Im not sold on Edwards but will give him his shot if he's given the ball, but I think we could do much better at the QB posistion.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• CSFAN
                  • Mar 2007

"If they wanted a QB to begin with, why did they wait til late in the third round? And how could they have known Edwards would fall that far?"

A decent question. The answer if probably more complex than anything that could be covered here. Maybe they were also looking at free agency; maybe they're just like us - they weren't too impressed, but wanted to believe this would be a potential breakout year for him.

With QB's, it's such a guessing game. It is very, very hard to draft & groom a franchise QB in this league, and there aren't many of them out there. I don't think they were looking to JP to become a great; just someone who could run the offense without too many mistakes. He's just not panning out, as of today.

The Edwards pick, in hindsight, was definitely sound. I actually kind of hope JP doesn't impress over the next game or 2, so Edwards can get a shot. I don't want a QB who can play 1 good game out of 3 or 4...

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

I still think that they screwed up by not drafting a ****ing wide receiver. Outside of Lee Evans and Roscoe Parrish.....our WR corps blow!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                      I still think that they screwed up by not drafting a ****ing wide receiver. Outside of Lee Evans and Roscoe Parrish.....our WR corps blow!!!
                      Drafting a WR or an athletic TE
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                        Drafting a WR or an athletic TE
                        Exactly! Instead we go with a QB and then another RB in the 4th round.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                          Exactly! Instead we go with a QB and then another RB in the 4th round.
                          I was harsh of those picks when they were made if you remember correctly
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                            I was harsh of those picks when they were made if you remember correctly
                            yeah you were. I hated them too. Hell, I thought that after Poz, Marv was too busy celebrating that he just forgot about the draft. Oh, plus he fell in love with Trent Edwards. I'm sorry, but with how lousy our team is...u don't take someone like Edwards, when you have a QB here and he needs help on the OL, WRs, and a big TE!

Comment

• PcA125
                              • May 2006

I agree that we are in desperate need of a TE... a nice big target for when the Qb gets into trouble or when the WR cant get open.

The Losman situation is really starting to frustrate me. Ive been a Homer since the begining, but I am def losing faith in him. As of this point im having a hard time seeing us getting a W this year. I didnt see much of the pre-season but ive heard good things about edwards from you guys. Maybe it is time to scrap JP.
                              Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X