PDA

View Full Version : I'm tired of the criticism of the playcalling

Earthquake Enyart
09-17-2007, 12:39 PM
What the playcalling reveals to me is the total lack of confidence they have in JP.

LtBillsFan66
09-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Also it's hard to get any mix of plays in when we go 3 and out. Due to lousy passing.

Earthquake Enyart
09-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Edwards knows how to make a logical progression when guys are covered. JP is a deer in the headlights.

LtBillsFan66
09-17-2007, 12:46 PM
JP can't even complete a screen pass.

Mr. Pink
09-17-2007, 12:47 PM
I love how everyone blames the play calling, yet look what happens when we call high percentage plays? JP overthrows or underthrows his intended target. I was shocked he didn't get one of his WRs killed on the high balls.

I'm almost to the point where I'd rather see run run run punt than JP throw a pass. At least on 3 consecutive running plays, we might make a first down but we'd at least have more TOP and then maybe the defense wouldn't be dead tired come the 4th quarter.

HHURRICANE
09-17-2007, 12:48 PM
If the field was a little wider Price would have had a TD pass.

justasportsfan
09-17-2007, 12:49 PM
why is it that when Willis moved to the ravens he's catching TDs now?

Mr. Pink
09-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Hurricane, well then maybe Losman will have a successful career in the CFL.

Mahdi
09-17-2007, 12:51 PM
JP can't even complete a screen pass.
They have to call a screen passes for one to be completed. They called one only and it went for good yardage. How about calling a quick slant once in while. If the LB keeps blitzing that means Evans is 1-1 underneath with the CB. Easy pass if they call it. The play calling was shocking and JP's comments confirmed it.

Earthquake Enyart
09-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Why would you call a screen pass if he can't throw it?

OpIv37
09-17-2007, 12:53 PM
What the playcalling reveals to me is the total lack of confidence they have in JP.

that's a stupid excuse for the playcalling.

Seriously, I can understand why they would lack confidence in JP but at the same time, they need to put the players in the position to make plays. Call the plays and let JP sink or swim on his own. Don't hamstring an already struggling player and take away one of the few things he does well.

Mahdi
09-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Why would you call a screen pass if he can't throw it?
He has been able to throw it. He had one for good yardage in game 1 and another in game 2. But 2 in 2 games is all it was called and thats not enough.

Earthquake Enyart
09-17-2007, 12:54 PM

Seriously, I can understand why they would lack confidence in JP but at the same time, they need to put the players in the position to make plays. Call the plays and let JP sink or swim on his own. Don't hamstring an already struggling player and take away one of the few things he does well.
As long as the defense kept us in the game, you can't call plays where JP gives up the stupid turnover.

justasportsfan
09-17-2007, 12:55 PM
I think Fairchilds overthinks things. He's starting to remind me of Moolarkey.

OpIv37
09-17-2007, 12:57 PM
As long as the defense kept us in the game, you can't call plays where JP gives up the stupid turnover.

but calling the dink and dunk stuff wasn't working either. And they had no problem calling the big "all or nothing" play when the game was on the line against Denver. If they're willing to do it in that situation, there is no excuse for not calling it in the first quarter when it's 3-0 or 6-0.

HHURRICANE
09-17-2007, 01:01 PM

I really disagree with you and agree with EE on this one.

I think the Bills are trying to keep JP from losing the game. I think that is why they are so conservative with the gameplan.

How about the incredibly stupid pass that should have been an INT? This is the kind of garbage where, as a coach, your asking yourself "how can I trust this guy?"

LtBillsFan66
09-17-2007, 01:02 PM
They have to call a screen passes for one to be completed. They called one only and it went for good yardage. How about calling a quick slant once in while. If the LB keeps blitzing that means Evans is 1-1 underneath with the CB. Easy pass if they call it. The play calling was shocking and JP's comments confirmed it.
I saw JP throw one to Roscoe. Threw it right into the dirt.

justasportsfan
09-17-2007, 01:03 PM
playcalling sucks.

trapezeus
09-17-2007, 01:05 PM

cause he played the jets. when they needed to run out the clock on the jets to avert giving the jets one last try...3rd and 2. mcgahee went down after one hit.

OpIv37
09-17-2007, 01:12 PM

I think the Bills are trying to keep JP from losing the game. I think that is why they are so conservative with the gameplan.

How about the incredibly stupid pass that should have been an INT? This is the kind of garbage where, as a coach, your asking yourself "how can I trust this guy?"

Don't get me wrong- I'm not trying to defend JP here- he's been awful and that play is one of the worst examples. He shouldn't be doing that rookie garbage anymore.

However, like it or not, JP is the guy we have and the coaches seem to have taken away the one thing he does best. And even if they are trying to keep JP from losing the game, that's no excuse for the predictability.

I look at it this way: we're losing anyway. Turn JP loose- if we win, mission accomplished. if we still lose, it will make it that much easier to bench him.

Earthquake Enyart
09-17-2007, 01:13 PM

As long as we are fairly close, maybe the special teams will score.

OpIv37
09-17-2007, 01:14 PM
As long as we are fairly close, maybe the special teams will score.

that's an incredibly gutless strategy. It's not even playing to not lose- it's more like praying to not lose.

Earthquake Enyart
09-17-2007, 01:16 PM
that's an incredibly gutless strategy. It's not even playing to not lose- it's more like praying to not lose.
It's the only way to play the hand that they are dealt.

HHURRICANE
09-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Let's face it, the offense that Fairchild is running, JP can't exectue.

JP blamed everybody in his press conference, including the O-line. His days are numbered either way because I'm pretty sure his crappy play isn't lost on his teammates.

OpIv37
09-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Let's face it, the offense that Fairchild is running, JP can't exectue.

JP blamed everybody in his press conference, including the O-line. His days are numbered either way because I'm pretty sure his crappy play isn't lost on his teammates.

so is it JP's fault for not being able to execute, or Fairchild's fault for implementing an offense that doesn't fit the personnel or the FO's fault for not giving Fairchild the tools he needs?

Again, I'm not defending JP- I'm just saying this team's issues may start with QB but they certainly don't end there.

HHURRICANE
09-17-2007, 01:59 PM
so is it JP's fault for not being able to execute, or Fairchild's fault for implementing an offense that doesn't fit the personnel or the FO's fault for not giving Fairchild the tools he needs?

Again, I'm not defending JP- I'm just saying this team's issues may start with QB but they certainly don't end there.

Here's the problem. The coaching staff is trying to establish the run and play a possession type offense so that we can keep our very young, inexperienced D, off of the field. It's obvioulsy not working but "opening it up" and not executing it will probably mean 12-0 in the first quarter vs. 12-0 at halftime.

I understand the gameplan and in the coaches minds we lost a game at home that was decided by a last minute field goal, 1 point. I think the coaches probably have figured out that this isn't going to work.

If we were losing and JP wasn't making stupid mistakes it would be very easy to blame the coaching staff. It wasn't very hard to figure out that Jim Kelly wasn't losing us games.

justasportsfan
09-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Again, I'm not defending JP- .yes you are. Don't be afriad to admit it. He's a nice guy who should run for mayor of buffalo someday.

Buckets
09-17-2007, 02:12 PM

Using that theory they have even less confidence in Edwards or they would put him in.

Also playing not to loose assumes that you are in a position to win.

Inetpub
09-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Here's the problem. The coaching staff is trying to establish the run and play a possession type offense so that we can keep our very young, inexperienced D, off of the field. It's obvioulsy not working but "opening it up" and not executing it will probably mean 12-0 in the first quarter vs. 12-0 at halftime.

I understand the gameplan and in the coaches minds we lost a game at home that was decided by a last minute field goal, 1 point. I think the coaches probably have figured out that this isn't going to work.

If we were losing and JP wasn't making stupid mistakes it would be very easy to blame the coaching staff. It wasn't very hard to figure out that Jim Kelly wasn't losing us games.

Wow Finally someone else tells the truth!!!

I love it when you clearly pointed out how we are running the game. I hope this post isnt lost because lets get it straight people. The plays called are called to keep the defence off the field. To burn time. To keep the game close.

Is it working? Well, we do keep the scores down. In the last 2 years, we werent really blown out. we havent had 51 point games against us! So yes. now its up to the offense to execute. is that working? no.

Historian
09-17-2007, 02:17 PM

Reminds me of how they used to take McGahee out on the goal line, lol.

OpIv37
09-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Wow Finally someone else tells the truth!!!

I love it when you clearly pointed out how we are running the game. I hope this post isnt lost because lets get it straight people. The plays called are called to keep the defence off the field. To burn time. To keep the game close.

Is it working? Well, we do keep the scores down. In the last 2 years, we werent really blown out. we havent had 51 point games against us! So yes. now its up to the offense to execute. is that working? no.

It doesn't work, yet we still do it over and over again. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

Either the plays suck or we don't have the players to execute- either way, we've done nothing to fix it and here's the shocker: it still isn't working.

TacklingDummy
09-17-2007, 02:21 PM
He has been able to throw it. He had one for good yardage in game 1 and another in game 2. But 2 in 2 games is all it was called and thats not enough.

You're forgetting the one that was intercepted.

justasportsfan
09-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Reminds me of how they used to take McGahee out on the goal line, lol.
I think we should line up Peters as a TE in goal line situations. We can either run to his side or pass to him. I don't think db's want to tackle him. lol.

Mahdi
09-17-2007, 02:28 PM
You're forgetting the one that was intercepted.
So if a 10 yard comeback play gets picked off next week are we going to scrap 10 yard comeback plays? or how bout a slant play?

OpIv37
09-17-2007, 02:30 PM
I think we should line up Peters as a TE in goal line situations. We can either run to his side or pass to him. I don't think db's want to tackle him. lol.

better yet- the old Mitch Frerotte tackle eligible play! That way, we don't have to find someone else to play LT in case the play isn't going to Peters.

Michael82
09-17-2007, 02:33 PM
good point. They even talked about it yesterday during the game. They said how that was his first ever touchdown reception. He never was used in the passing game in Buffalo. Blame the ****ing playcalling!!! :mad:

OpIv37
09-17-2007, 02:37 PM
good point. They even talked about it yesterday during the game. They said how that was his first ever touchdown reception. He never was used in the passing game in Buffalo. Blame the ****ing playcalling!!! :mad:

actually, the Ravens should know first hand why McGahee wasn't used in the passing game more in Buffalo. Remember when the Bills played in Baltimore in 04? Bledsoe hit McGahee in the hands on a swing out screen pass and McGahee bobbled it- Deion Sanders picked it off for a TD.

Philagape
09-17-2007, 02:41 PM
The defense is going to stay on the field a lot no matter what. Because they suck.

Therefore, the top priority of the offense should be to put points on the board while they can, whether it takes a lot of time or little time. And the team has nothing to lose by opening it up.

For years we've had egomaniac coaches who force players to fit their schemes no matter what. How about, for a change, let's do it in reverse. If JP is better at the long ball than short passes, if he's better on the move than in the pocket, then -- and I know how absurd this sounds -- let's call plays that let the players do what they do best. (gasp!)

Michael82
09-17-2007, 02:47 PM
actually, the Ravens should know first hand why McGahee wasn't used in the passing game more in Buffalo. Remember when the Bills played in Baltimore in 04? Bledsoe hit McGahee in the hands on a swing out screen pass and McGahee bobbled it- Deion Sanders picked it off for a TD.
Don't remind me. I was at that game. :puke:

BTW, I thought it was the Burger King guy who intercepted it??? :scratch: :ill:

Michael82
09-17-2007, 02:48 PM
The defense is going to stay on the field a lot no matter what. Because they suck.

Therefore, the top priority of the offense should be to put points on the board while they can, whether it takes a lot of time or little time. And the team has nothing to lose by opening it up.

For years we've had egomaniac coaches who force players to fit their schemes no matter what. How about, for a change, let's do it in reverse. If JP is better at the long ball than short passes, if he's better on the move than in the pocket, then -- and I know how absurd this sounds -- let's call plays that let the players do what they do best. (gasp!)
Finally someone who understands it. If only the coaches had something in that big ugly head of theirs. :ill:

OpIv37
09-17-2007, 02:49 PM

I was at the game too.

And they should have used the McDonald's guy for the interception because Deion Sanders is a ****ing clown.

Mahdi
09-17-2007, 02:49 PM

It was. Thats what distracted Willis. He was hoping for a sandwhich.

Earthquake Enyart
09-17-2007, 02:50 PM
So the first 3 plays of the game should be bombs.

Great. Our D can spend even more time on the field.

Michael82
09-17-2007, 02:51 PM
It was. Thats what distracted Willis. He was hoping for a sandwhich.
:lmao:

Philagape
09-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Opponents won't run as much if they're behind. Now there's an odd thought.

jmb1099
09-17-2007, 03:50 PM
but calling the dink and dunk stuff wasn't working either. And they had no problem calling the big "all or nothing" play when the game was on the line against Denver. If they're willing to do it in that situation, there is no excuse for not calling it in the first quarter when it's 3-0 or 6-0.

Exactly. No excuse for poor play, but you can't make the play if you never try the play. The conservative game isn't working. Fact is we're not built for that kind of game anyway. Better Losman throw a 60 yard pick than 4 three and outs. We're not trying to win, we're playing not to lose and we're losing anyway.

Oh and the one screen pass they threw to Lynch went for 20 plus yards. If only they could have found it within themselves to call another one.

HHURRICANE
09-17-2007, 07:14 PM

I'm pretty sure they tried this logic in ATL wih Vick. The fundamentals of your offense go to crap when you try and let one player dictate the gameplan.

This is why college offenses never work in the NFL.