PDA

View Full Version : Report: McNabb says black QBs under more pressure

Gunzlingr
09-18-2007, 09:06 AM
African-American quarterbacks face more pressure and more criticism than their white counterparts, Philadelphia Eagles (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=phi) QB Donovan McNabb (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4650) says in an interview scheduled to air on HBO on Tuesday night.
http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/mugs/65x90/1753.jpg McNabb

McNabb, in an interview on "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel," tells interviewer James Brown that African-American quarterbacks such as himself face added pressure because there are fewer black QBs -- and because some still don't want black athletes playing the position.
"There's not that many African-American quarterbacks, so we have to do a little bit extra," McNabb tells HBO. "Because the percentage of us playing this position, which people didn't want us to play ... is low, so we do a little extra."

Later in the interview, Brown presses McNabb on criticism of his performance -- and if African-American QBs are graded more harshly.

"I pass for 300 yards, our team wins by seven, [mimicking] 'Ah, he could've made this throw, they would have scored if he did this,' " McNabb tells HBO.
"Doesn't every quarterback go through that?" Brown asks.

"Not everybody," McNabb replies.

More... (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3025308&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

Yeah, right. That is why the reporters stumble over themselves sucking off Vick and Young. What a crock.

What next, JP saying that hispanic quarterbacks get more criticism than black quarter backs?

mybills
09-18-2007, 09:17 AM
I just lost respect for him. I can't even finish reading that race card article.

TacklingDummy
09-18-2007, 09:37 AM
How many starting Running Backs in the NFL are white?

lightningbolt444
09-18-2007, 10:52 AM
if people didnt pull the race card on non issues then it would be less of an issue all together. this im under pressure because im black not because im hurt all the time and more importantly a qb in the nfl is crap. It makes me so made when i hear someone say a comment like its cause im black or any other race for that matter. Listen i know racim still exists today but so does reverse racisim in a way. I understand what african americans have gone through in the past but what about jewish people i dont hear some player come out and say i get more pressure because im jewish. Some people need to get over their own pity party and then maybe things will start changing.

DraftBoy
09-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Apparently he hasnt been to the BZ board after a win where Losman and others still get picked apart. Gimme a break Donovan, I think TO was right about you.

Meathead
09-18-2007, 02:40 PM
isiah thomas says its worse if a white man uses the word ***** than a black man

black racism is at its peak and its starting to come out regularly now. as they get more comfortable speaking their mind without fear of reprisal more of their core feelings are coming out and they are often bad. thats good because its a huge problem and is the biggest lynchpin holding us all back from moving past this sickness

lets be frank, blacks have enjoyed a free ride for far too long when it comes to the perception of racism. and the amazing thing is that the pattern is virtually identical to that which i used to observe from whites while growing up in redneck crackerland. you would think they would recognize it easier since theyve lived through it themselves but guess what - nope

the ultimate irony now is that when you see a lone black person enter a social group of whites you will see people go out of their way to try to make the black feel comfortable. thats terrific and a stark contrast to the way it used to be. but observe a lone white, especially a white male, entering a predominantly black setting and you absolutely do not see the same courtesy

open your eyes my black brothers and sisters. it aint us no more. its yall

DraftBoy
09-18-2007, 02:46 PM
isiah thomas says its worse if a white man uses the word ***** than a black man

black racism is at its peak and its starting to come out regularly now. as they get more comfortable speaking their mind without fear of reprisal more of their core feelings are coming out and they are often bad. thats good because its a huge problem and is the biggest lynchpin holding us all back from moving past this sickness

lets be frank, blacks have enjoyed a free ride for far too long when it comes to the perception of racism. and the amazing thing is that the pattern is virtually identical to that which i used to observe from whites while growing up in redneck crackerland. you would think they would recognize it easier since theyve lived through it themselves but guess what - nope

the ultimate irony now is that when you see a lone black person enter a social group of whites you will see people go out of their way to try to make the black feel comfortable. thats terrific and a stark contrast to the way it used to be. but observe a lone white, especially a white male, entering a predominantly black setting and you absolutely do not see the same courtesy

open your eyes my black brothers and sisters. it aint us no more. its yall

:bf1:

Bill Brasky
09-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Yeah, well then there's more pressure on white RB's, WR's, LB's, CB's, SS's and FS's cuz there's so few of them.

Spare me this race bs. Emo kids have more balls than these card pullers.

mybills
09-18-2007, 03:06 PM
I'd like it if all of us could just speak our minds and have thick skins. I hate having to walk on egg shells around people, even when it has nothing to do with race. :coocoo:

Bill Brasky
09-18-2007, 03:08 PM
i don't walk on egg shells, i crush the **** out of 'em.

walk on egg shells and you have fake friends who all agree with your cookie-cutter PC opinion.

be a man, speak your mind, and your a racist ***** (or at least that's what my ex says).

well, i'd rather be a ***** than a poser.

mybills
09-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Oh I won't walk on them either, I hate that I'm asked to. I say what I want or walk away. I can't be a *****, but I'd rather be a **** than a poser. :;

Earthquake Enyart
09-18-2007, 03:22 PM
I think Donovan is right.

Bill Brasky
09-18-2007, 03:23 PM
yeah, after i think about it, donovan is right.

next time when i do a piss poor job at work, i'm gonna blame it on the system because there are not enough whites at my work place motivating me.

Earthquake Enyart
09-18-2007, 03:24 PM
And I think that white people have no right to comment on the subject.

mybills
09-18-2007, 03:25 PM
And I think that white people have no right to comment on the subject.
You just did.

Bling
09-18-2007, 06:10 PM
I use to like him, but I like TO more and more every day. At least he has the balls to say his garbage. McNabb is a PC, baby that got Rush Limbaugh fired for no reason.

Confused
09-18-2007, 06:14 PM
boo ****** hooo. poor donovan. poor black people. boo hoo

AndreReed83
09-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Without getting too deep into this, two things for Mr. McNabb.

1) How many times have you been throwing for 300 yards, win or loss? Hyperbole much?

2) After all your years in Philly, you don't realize they will boo anyone after a loss? Anyone after they struggle? They boo Santa Claus, for cripes sake.

evol4276
09-18-2007, 10:10 PM
or hes criticized because he cant play a full year without killing himself

Night Train
09-19-2007, 05:45 AM
Sounds like a complete non-event in the grand scheme of life.

casdhf
09-19-2007, 09:27 AM
McNabb has been a pussy since that whole being winded in the super bowl thing.

Dr. Lecter
09-20-2007, 08:51 AM
For reasons far more nuanced than he offered Tuesday night on HBO, Donovan McNabb is right, black NFL quarterbacks face more pressure, scrutiny and criticism than their white counterparts.

The assertion is neither debatable nor controversial. In fact, when James Brown's sit-down interview with the star quarterback was over, I wondered how McNabb's comments had caused much of a stir.

He'd simply stated the obvious in the most inoffensive way possible. McNabb's comments were not angry, defiant or whiny. They were matter of fact.

They were also incomplete and, therefore, out of context.
I believe McNabb, more than any black quarterback who has played the game, understands all of the obstacles facing a black "franchise" quarterback. And he knows that it would be highly dangerous to put all of the issues on the table.

We can't handle the truth. The media aren't equipped to tell it. And he justifiably fears that his black teammates aren't ready to digest it.

You see, many of the roadblocks standing before a black QB are placed there by other African-Americans.
Stick with me, let me explain. There is no doubt that racism has been a factor in the level and the intensity of criticism thrown at McNabb since the day the Eagles drafted him.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7241878

mybills
09-20-2007, 09:47 AM
I still say the color of your skin has nothing to do with your job any more. He's not picking cotton, is he. Who cares if someone does say something about your skin color, it just shows their ignorance. Brush it off and play football.

MikeInRoch
09-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Damn you Lector! I was about to post that story myself. :D

Dr. Lecter
09-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Great minds think alike.

Apparently ours do as well.

DraftBoy
09-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Just to note I think it was Sean Salisbury who agreed with McNabb which is alot more telling than Jason Whitlock agreeing with him.

LtBillsFan66
09-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Rush Limbaugh was right.

MikeInRoch
09-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Sean Salisbury is a moron. Him saying something makes me actually less inclined to believe it.

Michael82
09-20-2007, 12:58 PM
Sean Salisbury is a moron. Him saying something makes me actually less inclined to believe it.
:rofl:

Cntrygal
09-22-2007, 07:05 AM
Donovan McNabb smiled when a reporter asked for his opinion on the upcoming opponent and pumped his fist when the next question was about his poor start.

Once the topic switched to McNabb’s comment about black quarterbacks, his mood changed quickly.

more... (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20835710/)

mybills
09-22-2007, 07:13 AM
McNabb has always been sensitive about being labeled a running quarterback. He considers himself someone who passes first and runs only out of necessity.

“You wouldn’t ask somebody else the questions we get asked,” McNabb said, declining to reveal those questions.

a QB is SUPPOSED to throw, not run. It has nothing to do with your skin color. JP runs, too. OMG..is he really black? :eek: