PDA

View Full Version : Moran's Monday Morning QB (One Day Late)

patmoran2006
09-18-2007, 09:49 AM
I wanted to wait a full two days before I posted any thoughts, mainly so that what I’m thinking wouldn’t be purely on emotion. As tempted as I was to post following that debacle that we all saw on Sunday, I figured waiting few days may perhaps cool me off. Well, I was wrong. I’m going to save the obvious two points for the end and try to cover some of the things that are flying a bit under the radar due to the Losman and Jauron/Fairchild talk.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Here we go, in no particular order.<o:p></o:p>

I’ll actually start out with something positive. I think Larry Tripplett is playing well at the 3-spot. If nothing else, he’s at least playing like he cares this season. He’s made some plays and been around the ball. I’m also at least semi-impressed with John McCargo in limited action as well. I think the 3-spot between these two have been and will be fine.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

On the opposite end, the 1-gap is an absolute disgrace. Kyle Williams is just not strong enough to be a starter in this league. He’s getting blown all over the place. Tim Anderson isn’t even worth a comment he’s so bad. This position not only destroys the defensive line but it’s also affecting the linebackers being able to make big plays against the run. How Marv Levy could not address this important position at all is totally beyond me. What a horrid mistake. This has GOT to be priority #1 next season. Kyle Dorsey would be the perfect fit here, and unfortunately record-wise looks like we’ll get a good shot at him.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

Everybody is on the Paul Posluszny bandwagon because he’s putting up good tackle numbers. So what. So did London Fletcher. The kid has looked decent against the run so far, but he’s been HORRIBLE in pass coverage, a much bigger liability than a lot of you guys realize. Having said that, I understand he’s a rookie and playing MLB is no easy task. It will take him time to grow into a leader and a good MLB, but as of right now he has a long way to go. I wouldn’t go crediting our organization with getting a “steal” with him just yet. He’s got an awful lot to learn and looks out of place, especially against the pass. I credit that to rookie growing pains, I’m NOT saying I don’t like the kid; I’m saying he’s far from an asset to this team right now.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

Terrence McGee at best is an average #2 cornerback. ON this team he’s asked to be our #1. That’s just too much to ask for as he’s not good enough. Ashton Youboty MAY grow into a good #2 corner, but priority #2 next offseason needs to be a legit #1 corner. Jabrari Greer looks better than both of them, and I’m baffled as to why he’s stuck at 4 on the depth chart.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

Peerless Price is next-to-useless and barely ever throws a block. I’ll take Roscoe Parrish over him anyday, lack of size or not.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

Marshawn Lynch is going to be a GREAT running back. It would be wonderful if he can go 1-2 yards without being hit more than once a series. He also starts to need the ball thrown to him a lot more.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

Lee Evans is very frustrated. It’s not hard to see why. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pittsburgh</st1:place></st1:City> did plenty of blitzing. That left him in man to man often. How Losman doesn’t even throw a single pass to him in the first half is an indictment of how bad a QB Losman truly is. It’s inexcusable.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

The OL is hard to read. I think Dockery is playing well, while Peters is struggling a little bit (though he’s the least of my worries). Fowler looks overmatched while <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Butler</st1:place></st1:City> often looks clueless. As for Langston Walker, I’ve seen nothing from him that Terence Pennington didn’t do last year, for about $5 million per year cheaper. Love the play when <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Walker</st1:place></st1:City> got called for holding and STILL gave up the sack. It was no accident he gave up nearly 11 sacks last year.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

Robert Royal is useless. Why is that everytime I notice him staying in the backfield to block Losman ends up getting sacked? It happened again on Sunday. So let’s see, he’s an overated pass blocker and an insignificant pass catching TE. He makes $2 million per year why?<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

Donte Whitner looked great against <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Denver</st1:place></st1:City> but was a 100% non-factor against the Steelers. If he wants to be a great safety in this league, you don’t take games off.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

Why do teams still kick the ball off to Terrence McGee? Our special teams never seems to have a bad game.<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>
Okay. Time to address the two main things.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>1. </o:p>JP Losman is simply NOT a good quarterback, and just two games into the season, nearly everybody can see why. Forget the stats and the numbers, forget the long passes to Evans last year. Here are the facts; JP Losman is very unsound quarterback. He’s unsound physically. He’s unsound mechanically. Worst of all, he’s very unsound mentally. He has no clue how to progress through reads on a regular basis. He has the worst tunnel vision of any Bills QB I can remember. His throws were high and he was leaving his WR’s out to dry. Yes, Pitt did pressure him a lot, but there were plenty of times where he had time to make the read and a play. He simply doesn’t do it. Lee Evans had plenty of man to man coverage when the Steelers were blitzing. Are you trying to tell me he wasn’t open ONE time in the entire first half? Losman never threw to him once before halftime.<o:p></o:p>
This is his third year of starting the season at quarterback and he looks no better than he did at <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Tampa</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Bay</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> in week two of his first year starting. He’s bumbling and clueless. He’s wildly inconsistent. He has happy feet. He’s not a smart quarterback and he never will be. It’s appalling to watch guys like Vince Young, Jay Cutler, Matt Leinart—even Matt Schaub and Jason Campbell with far less starts look so much more comfortable, poised and accurate.<o:p></o:p>
Simply put, it’s time for the JP era to end. Yes, he’ll look great a few times a year, especially against bad football teams. But he will never consistently play well against good teams. JP Losman is a 4-7 win per year quarterback and that’s what he’ll continue to be. Tom Donahoe made a mistake by trading up for him, he’s had plenty of shots to prove he is franchise-QB worthy, and he’s simply not gotten the job done.<o:p></o:p>
Rookie or not, the time is growing VERY close for Trent Edwards to be a starter. This team is going absolutely NOWHERE anyway, so in my opinion it would be a huge mistake to not see what the kid has to offer. QB is all about making accurate throws, quick read and being poised, and in the preseason he sure looked good at doing those things. Look at what Schaub and Campbell are doing for their teams, and I’d argue <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> is as talented overall as either of them. Play Edwards, let him start and let’s see what we got. If he looks like the QB of this team’s future by season’s end, you build around him. If he doesn’t, then you either go after a FA QB or you draft a guy like Brain Brohm in next Aprils draft (who Mel Kiper compared to Jim Kelly recently). Regardless of what you do, you’re running around in little circles as long as JP Losman is the quarterback of this football team. AS season’s end; he’s done. Consider it like <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Houston</st1:place></st1:City> finally did with David Carr.<o:p></o:p>
2- Cut your losses with the Dick Jauron era as well. This guy doesn’t know how to coach on gameday. Don’t you think there is a reason he’s had one winning season as a head coach? He has ZERO confidence in his quarterback, yet he won’t bench him. Jauron is a good guy, a character guy and a good teacher; but that doesn’t always make you a good football head coach. When it comes to this staff, they need to go back to the drawing board; with a new HC and a pair of coordinators.<o:p></o:p>
SUMMARY: Honestly speaking here, this is perhaps the worst franchise in the ENTIRE NFL. I haven’t even included Levy in this rant. He needs to go to. In fact, he needs to go before anyone else. Levy has been great to this organization for a long time, but at his age and lack of GM experience, it’s time for him to retire for good. <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Wilson</st1:place></st1:City> needs to SPEND on a proven GM, who from there will select a good head coach. Combine that with a much better QB, who may already have in Edwards; then this franchise will start to turn it around.<o:p></o:p>
But if anyone on this board thinks with any sense of realism that this team will be a playoff contender this year, next or any year after it with a GM like Levy, a staff led by Jauron and a QB like Losman, there’s no doubt in my mind that you’re seriously fooling yourself. This is a bad organization right now. It starts at the very top and it trickles down to EVERY level up until the players that are on the field.<o:p></o:p>

GreedoII
09-18-2007, 10:03 AM
Refreshing post....

gil
09-18-2007, 10:11 AM
man, do I hate to agree with you - I was mildly optimistic about at least a few of the things you talked about before the season - it has been worse than I could imagine - it's almost a joke.

Mitchy moo
09-18-2007, 10:11 AM
PM: "Regardless of what you do, you’re running around in little circles as long as JP Losman is the quarterback of this football team. AS season’s end; he’s done. Consider it like <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Houston</st1:place></st1:City> finally did with David Carr."<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

You must have re-watched the game and seen what I have seen. JP is so lost there is no coming back. I cannot believe how far away from an NFL level this kid is but yet he gets defended, it really makes no sense.

mchurchfie
09-18-2007, 10:12 AM
I agree with everything except Poz. he isn't too good in coverage right now but he is making tackles a lot closer to the LOS than Fletch ever did and he seems to sniff out the plays better too. I'm not worried, he'll get his pass coverage ability together.

Earthquake Enyart
09-18-2007, 10:14 AM
I agree with everything except Poz. he isn't too good in coverage right now but he is making tackles a lot closer to the LOS than Fletch ever did and he seems to sniff out the plays better too. I'm not worried, he'll get his pass coverage ability together.
After watching the short cuts, almost every big third down was completed in the middle of the field. I love Poz, but he must get better there.

patmoran2006
09-18-2007, 10:36 AM
I like POZ and he shows a knack for being around the ball already, which is very good. I"m just saying he has a LONG way to go (and should get there) but is far from being a lock in Bills history to go down as a "steal" as this point.

blackonyx89
09-18-2007, 10:41 AM
I wanted to wait a full two days before I posted any thoughts, mainly so that what I’m thinking wouldn’t be purely on emotion. As tempted as I was to post following that debacle that we all saw on Sunday, I figured waiting few days may perhaps cool me off. Well, I was wrong. I’m going to save the obvious two points for the end and try to cover some of the things that are flying a bit under the radar due to the Losman and Jauron/Fairchild talk.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

I’ll actually start out with something positive. I think Larry Tripplett is playing well at the 3-spot. If nothing else, he’s at least playing like he cares this season. He’s made some plays and been around the ball. I’m also at least semi-impressed with John McCargo in limited action as well. I think the 3-spot between these two have been and will be fine.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

On the opposite end, the 1-gap is an absolute disgrace. Kyle Williams is just not strong enough to be a starter in this league. He’s getting blown all over the place. Tim Anderson isn’t even worth a comment he’s so bad. This position not only destroys the defensive line but it’s also affecting the linebackers being able to make big plays against the run. How Marv Levy could not address this important position at all is totally beyond me. What a horrid mistake. This has GOT to be priority #1 next season. Kyle Dorsey would be the perfect fit here, and unfortunately record-wise looks like we’ll get a good shot at him.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Everybody is on the Paul Posluszny bandwagon because he’s putting up good tackle numbers. So what. So did London Fletcher. The kid has looked decent against the run so far, but he’s been HORRIBLE in pass coverage, a much bigger liability than a lot of you guys realize. Having said that, I understand he’s a rookie and playing MLB is no easy task. It will take him time to grow into a leader and a good MLB, but as of right now he has a long way to go. I wouldn’t go crediting our organization with getting a “steal” with him just yet. He’s got an awful lot to learn and looks out of place, especially against the pass. I credit that to rookie growing pains, I’m NOT saying I don’t like the kid; I’m saying he’s far from an asset to this team right now.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Terrence McGee at best is an average #2 cornerback. ON this team he’s asked to be our #1. That’s just too much to ask for as he’s not good enough. Ashton Youboty MAY grow into a good #2 corner, but priority #2 next offseason needs to be a legit #1 corner. Jabrari Greer looks better than both of them, and I’m baffled as to why he’s stuck at 4 on the depth chart.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Peerless Price is next-to-useless and barely ever throws a block. I’ll take Roscoe Parrish over him anyday, lack of size or not.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Marshawn Lynch is going to be a GREAT running back. It would be wonderful if he can go 1-2 yards without being hit more than once a series. He also starts to need the ball thrown to him a lot more.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Lee Evans is very frustrated. It’s not hard to see why. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pittsburgh</st1:place></st1:City> did plenty of blitzing. That left him in man to man often. How Losman doesn’t even throw a single pass to him in the first half is an indictment of how bad a QB Losman truly is. It’s inexcusable.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

The OL is hard to read. I think Dockery is playing well, while Peters is struggling a little bit (though he’s the least of my worries). Fowler looks overmatched while <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Butler</st1:place></st1:City> often looks clueless. As for Langston Walker, I’ve seen nothing from him that Terence Pennington didn’t do last year, for about $5 million per year cheaper. Love the play when <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Walker</st1:place></st1:City> got called for holding and STILL gave up the sack. It was no accident he gave up nearly 11 sacks last year.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Robert Royal is useless. Why is that everytime I notice him staying in the backfield to block Losman ends up getting sacked? It happened again on Sunday. So let’s see, he’s an overated pass blocker and an insignificant pass catching TE. He makes $2 million per year why?<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Donte Whitner looked great against <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Denver</st1:place></st1:City> but was a 100% non-factor against the Steelers. If he wants to be a great safety in this league, you don’t take games off.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Why do teams still kick the ball off to Terrence McGee? Our special teams never seems to have a bad game.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
<o:p>1. </o:p>JP Losman is simply NOT a good quarterback, and just two games into the season, nearly everybody can see why. Forget the stats and the numbers, forget the long passes to Evans last year. Here are the facts; JP Losman is very unsound quarterback. He’s unsound physically. He’s unsound mechanically. Worst of all, he’s very unsound mentally. He has no clue how to progress through reads on a regular basis. He has the worst tunnel vision of any Bills QB I can remember. His throws were high and he was leaving his WR’s out to dry. Yes, Pitt did pressure him a lot, but there were plenty of times where he had time to make the read and a play. He simply doesn’t do it. Lee Evans had plenty of man to man coverage when the Steelers were blitzing. Are you trying to tell me he wasn’t open ONE time in the entire first half? Losman never threw to him once before halftime.<o:p></o:p>
This is his third year of starting the season at quarterback and he looks no better than he did at <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Tampa</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Bay</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> in week two of his first year starting. He’s bumbling and clueless. He’s wildly inconsistent. He has happy feet. He’s not a smart quarterback and he never will be. It’s appalling to watch guys like Vince Young, Jay Cutler, Matt Leinart—even Matt Schaub and Jason Campbell with far less starts look so much more comfortable, poised and accurate.<o:p></o:p>
Simply put, it’s time for the JP era to end. Yes, he’ll look great a few times a year, especially against bad football teams. But he will never consistently play well against good teams. JP Losman is a 4-7 win per year quarterback and that’s what he’ll continue to be. Tom Donahoe made a mistake by trading up for him, he’s had plenty of shots to prove he is franchise-QB worthy, and he’s simply not gotten the job done.<o:p></o:p>
Rookie or not, the time is growing VERY close for Trent Edwards to be a starter. This team is going absolutely NOWHERE anyway, so in my opinion it would be a huge mistake to not see what the kid has to offer. QB is all about making accurate throws, quick read and being poised, and in the preseason he sure looked good at doing those things. Look at what Schaub and Campbell are doing for their teams, and I’d argue <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> is as talented overall as either of them. Play Edwards, let him start and let’s see what we got. If he looks like the QB of this team’s future by season’s end, you build around him. If he doesn’t, then you either go after a FA QB or you draft a guy like Brain Brohm in next Aprils draft (who Mel Kiper compared to Jim Kelly recently). Regardless of what you do, you’re running around in little circles as long as JP Losman is the quarterback of this football team. AS season’s end; he’s done. Consider it like <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Houston</st1:place></st1:City> finally did with David Carr.<o:p></o:p>
2- Cut your losses with the Dick Jauron era as well. This guy doesn’t know how to coach on gameday. Don’t you think there is a reason he’s had one winning season as a head coach? He has ZERO confidence in his quarterback, yet he won’t bench him. Jauron is a good guy, a character guy and a good teacher; but that doesn’t always make you a good football head coach. When it comes to this staff, they need to go back to the drawing board; with a new HC and a pair of coordinators.<o:p></o:p>
SUMMARY: Honestly speaking here, this is perhaps the worst franchise in the ENTIRE NFL. I haven’t even included Levy in this rant. He needs to go to. In fact, he needs to go before anyone else. Levy has been great to this organization for a long time, but at his age and lack of GM experience, it’s time for him to retire for good. <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Wilson</st1:place></st1:City> needs to SPEND on a proven GM, who from there will select a good head coach. Combine that with a much better QB, who may already have in Edwards; then this franchise will start to turn it around.<o:p></o:p>
But if anyone on this board thinks with any sense of realism that this team will be a playoff contender this year, next or any year after it with a GM like Levy, a staff led by Jauron and a QB like Losman, there’s no doubt in my mind that you’re seriously fooling yourself. This is a bad organization right now. It starts at the very top and it trickles down to EVERY level up until the players that are on the field.<o:p></o:p>

Every word is true!!!

TacklingDummy
09-18-2007, 10:42 AM
You never mentioned the Defensive Ends. Schobel with his 1 big sack. Half of the teams total. Nice investment in Kelsay and Schobel. :up:

The Bills pass rush is a complete joke.

And consider what Willie Parker said, "their Ends Pass rush every down, so I just ran to the outside...." pass rush every down and only 1 sack? pathetic.

DraftBoy
09-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Its Glenn Dorsey not Kyle.

Overall good assessment I think, I dont have anymore faith in Edwards than I do in Losman. Do I think he should start now? No, he has no reason to we dont give ourselves any better of a chance to win with Edwards which is still the goal, if we get to around week 10 and still no consistent effort then we go with Edwards, who I compare to a slightly better version of Derek Anderson.

DraftBoy
09-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Also why such glorius proclomation about Lynch who still has some work to do also about blocking, and cut back running, but you crucify Poz and shrug off his good accomplishments the same way you fail to mention anything wrong Lynch has done.

Wys Guy
09-18-2007, 10:47 AM
That's a lot of stuff to vent while talking "about next year."

We're not going anywhere for years under these clowns. Firing Levy and Jauron simply isn't going to do it either.

McNally is obviously a huge problem.
I've seen absolutely nothing from Fairchild that is indicative that he even understands how the Rams run an offense.
Fewell is clealry a Jauron pupil.

But the biggest problem is Modrak/Guy/Majeski who just can't spot talent.

Until all of that changes, most of which are Donadope era legacies, this team isn't going anywhere. Their track record in their respective roles is abysmal for those looking at this objectively. There is no other logical conclusion that anyone could come to.

Wys Guy
09-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Also why such glorius proclomation about Lynch who still has some work to do also about blocking, and cut back running, but you crucify Poz and shrug off his good accomplishments the same way you fail to mention anything wrong Lynch has done.

I was higher on Poz than I was on Lynch and I've come to the same early conclusions.

Lynch squares his shoulders, keeps his feet moving, and has extremely good field vision which allows him to do what he's done in spite of only so-so blocking.

He lacks that second gear however and won't break a lot of long runs. But that's not necessarily bad. What you want from your RB is the ability to get 4.5 ypc or greater consistently while getting 20-25 totes per contest.

He can do that and will be fully capable of logging 1,200-1,400 per season down the road. Just not on this team this or next season.

Poz is not good in pass coverage, but again, our team sucked in short pass coverage last season too. So is it him, or is it their version of the C2?

I mean he's not the only one on this team whose coverage sucks. Most of it does within the first 20 yards.

The Answer
09-18-2007, 10:59 AM

I’ll actually start out with something positive. I think Larry Tripplett is playing well at the 3-spot. If nothing else, he’s at least playing like he cares this season. He’s made some plays and been around the ball. I’m also at least semi-impressed with John McCargo in limited action as well. I think the 3-spot between these two have been and will be fine.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

On the opposite end, the 1-gap is an absolute disgrace. Kyle Williams is just not strong enough to be a starter in this league. He’s getting blown all over the place. Tim Anderson isn’t even worth a comment he’s so bad. This position not only destroys the defensive line but it’s also affecting the linebackers being able to make big plays against the run. How Marv Levy could not address this important position at all is totally beyond me. What a horrid mistake. This has GOT to be priority #1 next season. Kyle Dorsey would be the perfect fit here, and unfortunately record-wise looks like we’ll get a good shot at him.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Everybody is on the Paul Posluszny bandwagon because he’s putting up good tackle numbers. So what. So did London Fletcher. The kid has looked decent against the run so far, but he’s been HORRIBLE in pass coverage, a much bigger liability than a lot of you guys realize. Having said that, I understand he’s a rookie and playing MLB is no easy task. It will take him time to grow into a leader and a good MLB, but as of right now he has a long way to go. I wouldn’t go crediting our organization with getting a “steal” with him just yet. He’s got an awful lot to learn and looks out of place, especially against the pass. I credit that to rookie growing pains, I’m NOT saying I don’t like the kid; I’m saying he’s far from an asset to this team right now.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Terrence McGee at best is an average #2 cornerback. ON this team he’s asked to be our #1. That’s just too much to ask for as he’s not good enough. Ashton Youboty MAY grow into a good #2 corner, but priority #2 next offseason needs to be a legit #1 corner. Jabrari Greer looks better than both of them, and I’m baffled as to why he’s stuck at 4 on the depth chart.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Peerless Price is next-to-useless and barely ever throws a block. I’ll take Roscoe Parrish over him anyday, lack of size or not.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Marshawn Lynch is going to be a GREAT running back. It would be wonderful if he can go 1-2 yards without being hit more than once a series. He also starts to need the ball thrown to him a lot more.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Lee Evans is very frustrated. It’s not hard to see why. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pittsburgh</st1:place></st1:City> did plenty of blitzing. That left him in man to man often. How Losman doesn’t even throw a single pass to him in the first half is an indictment of how bad a QB Losman truly is. It’s inexcusable.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

The OL is hard to read. I think Dockery is playing well, while Peters is struggling a little bit (though he’s the least of my worries). Fowler looks overmatched while <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Butler</st1:place></st1:City> often looks clueless. As for Langston Walker, I’ve seen nothing from him that Terence Pennington didn’t do last year, for about $5 million per year cheaper. Love the play when <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Walker</st1:place></st1:City> got called for holding and STILL gave up the sack. It was no accident he gave up nearly 11 sacks last year.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Robert Royal is useless. Why is that everytime I notice him staying in the backfield to block Losman ends up getting sacked? It happened again on Sunday. So let’s see, he’s an overated pass blocker and an insignificant pass catching TE. He makes $2 million per year why?<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Donte Whitner looked great against <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Denver</st1:place></st1:City> but was a 100% non-factor against the Steelers. If he wants to be a great safety in this league, you don’t take games off.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Why do teams still kick the ball off to Terrence McGee? Our special teams never seems to have a bad game.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

PM - great posting!

The Answer wondering where you were the last few days and knew it wasn't going to be pretty when another realist like yourself finally spoke.

~The Answer

The last buffalo fan
09-18-2007, 11:00 AM
:rofl: :bandwagon

DarbyTheDinosaur
09-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Its Glenn Dorsey not Kyle.

Overall good assessment I think, I dont have anymore faith in Edwards than I do in Losman. Do I think he should start now? No, he has no reason to we dont give ourselves any better of a chance to win with Edwards which is still the goal, if we get to around week 10 and still no consistent effort then we go with Edwards, who I compare to a slightly better version of Derek Anderson.

I really think Draftboy is right on this...Edwards is no better than Losman at this point...in fact, based on the amount of preparation each has had, JP probably gives a better chance of winning than Edwards. So, until we are completely out of it...that means eliminated from playoff contention mathematically, not based on how we look...you stick with whatever QB gives you the best chance to win...whether a win is likely or not.

What is Jauron supposed to do...switching to Edwards at this point says to the fans: "Don't bother showing up...we won't be competitive...we're just practicing until next year." And he says to the players: "don't bother playing your hearts out...we're 0-2...this season is out of reach...let's try again next year...just don't get hurt."

I really like the line of thought...JP stays until the team is mathematically out of it.

The last buffalo fan
09-18-2007, 11:06 AM
You never mentioned the Defensive Ends. Schobel with his 1 big sack. Half of the teams total. Nice investment in Kelsay and Schobel. :up:

The Bills pass rush is a complete joke.

And consider what Willie Parker said, "their Ends Pass rush every down, so I just ran to the outside...." pass rush every down and only 1 sack? pathetic.

:bf1: High motor, white guys! :up:

DarbyTheDinosaur
09-18-2007, 11:11 AM
I was higher on Poz than I was on Lynch and I've come to the same early conclusions.

Lynch squares his shoulders, keeps his feet moving, and has extremely good field vision which allows him to do what he's done in spite of only so-so blocking.

He lacks that second gear however and won't break a lot of long runs. But that's not necessarily bad. What you want from your RB is the ability to get 4.5 ypc or greater consistently while getting 20-25 totes per contest.

He can do that and will be fully capable of logging 1,200-1,400 per season down the road. Just not on this team this or next season.

Poz is not good in pass coverage, but again, our team sucked in short pass coverage last season too. So is it him, or is it their version of the C2?

I mean he's not the only one on this team whose coverage sucks. Most of it does within the first 20 yards.

I work with an insane amount of Penn Staters and they are naturally high on Poz. That being said, many of them will claim that he isn't the fastest guy out there and that during Poz's years, Penn State was highly susceptible to inside slants and cross patterns in the LB coverage area.

But (from what we've seen so far) the guy is a definite improvement over Fletcher:
1. Way better on the run and containing a scrambling QB.
2. Eleven years younger.

What I am saying is, the guy is a solid LB and he is only heading into his third professional game...give him 2-3 years and see if he improves on pass coverage...until then, I'll take him as a smart pick.

(Acknowledged....He did bite hard on the play action pass in which the Steelers threw teh TD to their TE...but who wouldn't have at that point and it was a rookie mistake.)

patmoran2006
09-18-2007, 11:14 AM
To respond to a couple of good comments in here:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Tackling Dummy mentioned the DE’s. I don’t even know what to say about them right now. They are horrible against the run. The worst part is that Levy tied our hands with them with these huge signing bonuses and contracts they get. Schobel is among the best in the NFL at getting to the QB, but what else does he really do? Don’t get me wrong, there aren’t a whole lot of DE’s in the end better than him, but he’s no Jason Taylor, Julius Peppers of Dwight Freeney, I can tell ya that. He’s a liability against the run, but who isn’t on this team?<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>
As for Kelsay, I was heated the day we resigned him and even more so now. He hustles his a$$ off, I’ll give him that. He makes tackles 15 yards down the field and doesn’t quit and you gotta respect that. But he can’t stop the run to save his life and I don’t know what his problem is with holding on to the QB. We’re stuck with both of them, that’s on Levy IMO. Id rather have at least one of our two starting DE be stout against the run, even if they don’t put up sack numbers. Ryan Denney was perfect as a pass rushing specialist off the bench, paying Kelsay was stupid.<o:p></o:p>

As for Marshawn Lynch, of course he’s far from perfect. But he wasn’t the top overall pick in the draft, what did ya expect the next Gale Sayers? This guy does everything well except for pass blocking at times. Can you imagine how good he’ll be when a team actually is forced to RESPECT our passing game? Or when our O.C. sees fit to actually have him a part of that passing game?<o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>

POZ has a bright future in this league I think. I just feel like too many people are crowning him already. He is NOT better than London Fletcher was for us last year, not even in the same league. He’s quick, he takes good angles and he’ll make a lot of tackles. He’s struggling mightily in pass coverage and I’m a little surprised he doesn’t bring the wood with hits more. I had him pegged for a harder hitter than I’ve seen. Having said all that, I like him. I still wish we had kept Fletcher for another 1-2 years, and Poz could’ve played the weak side, which I think long-term you may actually see happen anyway.<o:p></o:p>

PcA125
09-18-2007, 11:14 AM
At the begining of this season I had very high hopes for this team. I thought maybe we could squeek into the playoffs with the wildcard... now im thinking that maybe we will win 2-4 games. Ive been behind Losman for the longest time... but this is getting rediculous. He cant do anything right lately and I just get frustrated watching it. I agree with pretty much everything you said. Bring in the Rook this season unless by some miracle this team does a complete 180 in the next few weeks.

Saratoga Slim
09-18-2007, 11:27 AM
He is NOT better than London Fletcher was for us last year, not even in the same league. He’s quick, he takes good angles and he’ll make a lot of tackles. He’s struggling mightily in pass coverage and I’m a little surprised he doesn’t bring the wood with hits more. I had him pegged for a harder hitter than I’ve seen. Having said all that, I like him. I still wish we had kept Fletcher for another 1-2 years, and Poz could’ve played the weak side, which I think long-term you may actually see happen anyway.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I would LOVE to have either TKO or London on the roster right now. Couldn't agree more.

I also have to agree on JP. Two weeks ago I would NEVER have said that I'd be almost ready to move on from JP after two games of this season, but you're right: he looks like the exact same QB we've seen since day 1. He doesn't have the greatest weapons around him, but that's not enough of an excuse. Look at Houston. Evans and Andre Johnson are a wash, but after that, I'll take Reed/Parrish/Price/Marshawn over the Texans' offensive guns any day. And yet Schaub looks like a good starting QB.

However, I did say "almost ready" to move on from JP. I would like to see what he does if Fairchild opens things up some. But I'm not confident anymore, I think whoever it was that said JP is a Jeff Blake clone may have been right. Great arm, great long ball, questionable everything else.

patmoran2006
09-18-2007, 11:29 AM
I really think Draftboy is right on this...Edwards is no better than Losman at this point...in fact, based on the amount of preparation each has had, JP probably gives a better chance of winning than Edwards. So, until we are completely out of it...that means eliminated from playoff contention mathematically, not based on how we look...you stick with whatever QB gives you the best chance to win...whether a win is likely or not.

What is Jauron supposed to do...switching to Edwards at this point says to the fans: "Don't bother showing up...we won't be competitive...we're just practicing until next year." And he says to the players: "don't bother playing your hearts out...we're 0-2...this season is out of reach...let's try again next year...just don't get hurt."

I really like the line of thought...JP stays until the team is mathematically out of it.
I never said that right NOW Trent Edwards is better than Losman. But I totally disagree with your logic.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
In his fourth season, and third season going in as the starter; Losman has proven, at least to me, that he doesn’t have the mental faculty to be a great quarterback. To me, he is what he’s shown; and that’s a guy who will feast on a couple of weak teams, look amateurish against solid teams, and be a 4-7 win QB per year. It’s year four on the Losman era now, why not put the most important positional player on your team to bed and see what the kid who looked like a vet in preseason can do?<o:p></o:p>
Let’s put it this way. How much freekin worse can Edwards do than lead the team to one touchdown in two games. The only points we had at Pitt was a FG set up on a 63-yard KR by McGee. Against <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Denver</st1:City></st1:place>, we scored on a punt return and had one drive, which Marshawn pretty much refused to go down.<o:p></o:p>
Whether Losman, Edwards, Nall, Freddy Jackson or Robert Royal is QB’ing this team, it’s going nowhere. Losman has had MANY chances to show he can be a consistently solid QB in this league and he’s failed.<o:p></o:p>
Meanwhile, I’ve seen a pile of guys just from the first two weeks this year alone (Cutler, Young, Leinart, Schaub, Jason Campbell) with fewer starts that looked 20X more poised than I’ve seen Losman in his last five starts. Hell man, even Clemens from the Jets took a POUNDING from <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Baltimore</st1:place></st1:City> on the road and looked like a champ in the fourth quarter against them.<o:p></o:p>
JP Losman just does NOT have what it takes. Maybe Edwards does and maybe he doesn’t; but that’s something we need to find out before next offseason in my opinion, unless you want the mediocre QB to continue into the next decade.<o:p></o:p>
And btw, Losman is FAR from the only problem on this team. But I’ve always felt like when you have a bad team, go down the line and ask “is he part of the problem or is he part of the solution”. I find it very hard for anyone on this board (unless you’re a Losman relative) to tell me you think Losman is part of the solution.<o:p></o:p>
And lastly, your comment about replacing Losman with Edwards makes it perceived to fans as a team giving up on their season; that was done before training camp and left $18 million on the salary cap table while going to camp with bum starters like Kyle Williams, Jason Webster and Peerless Price in crucial positions and refusing to pay Darwin Walker, who looks DOMINANT for Chicago right now. That should’ve told the fans plenty right there.<o:p></o:p>

raphael120
09-18-2007, 11:30 AM
When it becomes 0-3 next week, playoffs is not going to happen. If you can say we're making the playoffs this season with a straight face, you need to go to Hollywood. If JP has less than 30 yards passing at the half with Lee Evans being a non factor again, put Trent in. I almost guarantee this game being a blow out by halftime, and I think you should see Edwards come in for at least the 4th quarter.

raphael120
09-18-2007, 11:34 AM
But pats definitely right. It is maddening to see other QBs around the league with less experience and lesser weapons on offense, even lesser O-lines doing better than JP. Campbell in Washington, Derek Anderson in Cleveland, Schaub in Houston, Cutler in Denver, Vince Young, etc, etc...Eli Manning, for as much crap as NY fans give him, I'll take him! Even the backup QB for the Jets made more plays than JP last week. It's just getting pathetic!

DraftBoy
09-18-2007, 11:59 AM
I never said that right NOW Trent Edwards is better than Losman. But I totally disagree with your logic.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
In his fourth season, and third season going in as the starter; Losman has proven, at least to me, that he doesn’t have the mental faculty to be a great quarterback. To me, he is what he’s shown; and that’s a guy who will feast on a couple of weak teams, look amateurish against solid teams, and be a 4-7 win QB per year. It’s year four on the Losman era now, why not put the most important positional player on your team to bed and see what the kid who looked like a vet in preseason can do?<o:p></o:p>
Let’s put it this way. How much freekin worse can Edwards do than lead the team to one touchdown in two games. The only points we had at Pitt was a FG set up on a 63-yard KR by McGee. Against <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Denver</st1:City></st1:place>, we scored on a punt return and had one drive, which Marshawn pretty much refused to go down.<o:p></o:p>
Whether Losman, Edwards, Nall, Freddy Jackson or Robert Royal is QB’ing this team, it’s going nowhere. Losman has had MANY chances to show he can be a consistently solid QB in this league and he’s failed.<o:p></o:p>
Meanwhile, I’ve seen a pile of guys just from the first two weeks this year alone (Cutler, Young, Leinart, Schaub, Jason Campbell) with fewer starts that looked 20X more poised than I’ve seen Losman in his last five starts. Hell man, even Clemens from the Jets took a POUNDING from <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Baltimore</st1:place></st1:City> on the road and looked like a champ in the fourth quarter against them.<o:p></o:p>
JP Losman just does NOT have what it takes. Maybe Edwards does and maybe he doesn’t; but that’s something we need to find out before next offseason in my opinion, unless you want the mediocre QB to continue into the next decade.<o:p></o:p>
And btw, Losman is FAR from the only problem on this team. But I’ve always felt like when you have a bad team, go down the line and ask “is he part of the problem or is he part of the solution”. I find it very hard for anyone on this board (unless you’re a Losman relative) to tell me you think Losman is part of the solution.<o:p></o:p>
And lastly, your comment about replacing Losman with Edwards makes it perceived to fans as a team giving up on their season; that was done before training camp and left $18 million on the salary cap table while going to camp with bum starters like Kyle Williams, Jason Webster and Peerless Price in crucial positions and refusing to pay Darwin Walker, who looks DOMINANT for Chicago right now. That should’ve told the fans plenty right there.<o:p></o:p>

Putting your bias against the FO aside for a moment, you have made no case whatsoever as to why Losman should be benched now in favor of Edwards. You said we need to see what we have in Edwards before next offseason and I agree which is why Im an advocate of waiting until around week 10 to make a move. If we cant tell in six games if we have a potential starter on our hands or not then our whole staff needs to be fired and replaced with somebody better.

Wys Guy
09-18-2007, 12:04 PM
I work with an insane amount of Penn Staters and they are naturally high on Poz. That being said, many of them will claim that he isn't the fastest guy out there and that during Poz's years, Penn State was highly susceptible to inside slants and cross patterns in the LB coverage area.

But (from what we've seen so far) the guy is a definite improvement over Fletcher:
1. Way better on the run and containing a scrambling QB.
2. Eleven years younger.

What I am saying is, the guy is a solid LB and he is only heading into his third professional game...give him 2-3 years and see if he improves on pass coverage...until then, I'll take him as a smart pick.

(Acknowledged....He did bite hard on the play action pass in which the Steelers threw teh TD to their TE...but who wouldn't have at that point and it was a rookie mistake.)

Good post.

No doubt too. I wasn't trying to be hard on him, rather I'm seriously questioning our D coaching. How can so many of our players, virtually all of them, constantly suck in coverage. I'm thinking it's a bigger picture issue here.

Who knows though. The way things are now it's nearly impossible to accurately diagnose things like Losman e.g., simply because so many things wrong compound the others.

Wys Guy
09-18-2007, 12:07 PM
I would LOVE to have either TKO or London on the roster right now. Couldn't agree more.

Depending upon your perspective, losing Fletcher/Spikes wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Poz will be fine. Again, it's not so much our getting rid of them per se, it's who we got to replace them; who we've selected to play DT, OL, etc.

I don't think that most people would have expected this team to make the playoffs this year, even with those guys. So in that sense you have to look down the road.

All that's expected is improvement, but we're not even getting that. We've actually regressed. And how that happened on an O with almost all the same players with "improvements" in the OL is just bizarre and inexplicable beyond pinning it on the coaching; Fairchild and McNally

patmoran2006
09-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Putting your bias against the FO aside for a moment, you have made no case whatsoever as to why Losman should be benched now in favor of Edwards. You said we need to see what we have in Edwards before next offseason and I agree which is why Im an advocate of waiting until around week 10 to make a move. If we cant tell in six games if we have a potential starter on our hands or not then our whole staff needs to be fired and replaced with somebody better.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Before putting my bias aside for the FO, it shouldn’t be understated why I am biased against the FO. I have plenty of reason for it, as should all Bills fan. The bottom line is the Front Office has made a mess of this organization, and I could argue rather easily that it’s in just as bad or maybe even worse shape than what Donadope left it (whom I’m NO fan of either)<o:p></o:p>
Not only have the vast majority of our FA signees and own resignings been disasters, they’ve handcuffed this team big-time due to our “cash to cap” philosophy. Unlike other teams who will discard their trash FA signings and replace them all over again, with a limited budget we’re unable (or unwilling to do that) so when our FO makes a mistake it hurts us even more because we’re stuck.<o:p></o:p>
We invested $6 million per year in Kelsay. Why? He’s a poor man’s Schobel. He is pretty good in obvious pass rushing situations, but is he that much better than Ryan Denney or Mike Hargrove in the same situation? AS for the run, you guys talk about Fletcher and his 7-10 yard downfield tackles. Well, LOL what about Kelsay>? When is the last time he’s pinned the RB behind the line? Worst part is with the CRAZY extension given to a phenomenal yet one dimensional DE in Schobel, we’re so into these guys for cash that we’re stuck with them. The result is two DE’s incapable of stopping the run.<o:p></o:p>
Robert Royal, Peerless Price and Josh Reed. All trash with the exception of Reed who at best is decent. $30 million invested there with over $7 million in signing bonuses.<o:p></o:p>
I can go on and on. $25 million to a right tackle who looked helpless against <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pittsburgh</st1:place></st1:City> (and IM sure it wont’ be the last time). $1.3 million signing bonus to a QB who remained third string in 2006 and was cut this year.<o:p></o:p>
For some teams this is no big deal. For a cash-strapped team like the Bills these mistakes are more costly. HOWEVER, it NEEDS to be noted the BIGGEST issue isn’t money (at least not directly). It’s our FO decision to hire Jauron as H.C., who in turn brings in Fairchild and Fewell. The bottom line is we have minor league coaches in a major league. Who is responsible for this stuff? Someone has to be?It’s not my fault, it’s not your fault? Do you honestly think this is going to be a successful franchise with Levy as GM (an earpiece on to boot) and a perennial loser like Jauron?<o:p></o:p>
You want this team to turn around? Start with a real coach. Cowher is the ideal choice, as he is with probably a dozen teams. Economics will surely forbid that to happen. So realistically, how about a coach like Martz or Sherman (who should’ve been the choice last year). This team needs a coach with some creativity and vision.<o:p></o:p>
I’m harsh on Marv when I shouldn’t be. The reason I shouldn’t be is I know for a fact he has a <st1:place w:st="on">LOT</st1:place> less to do with personnel decisions on this team than we give him credit for. Guy/Modrak they need to go to. We need a brand new, TRUE personnel guy. This team is simply too weak at too many spots. So I admit I’m biased against the FO. Then again, I should be. They are brutal, with a brutal track record.<o:p></o:p>
Onto Losman. The question becomes, are you NOT convinced that he’s not the long-term answer here? I find it hard to believe you wouldn’t be convinced when you look around the league and see what all these other young QB’s are doing in comparison to him. He’s got a cannon arm with a midget mind. That’s not going to change. It hasn’t changed this year, it barely changed last year as well. Sometimes you gotta just cut your losses. I’m willing to bet ANYTHING that unless Losman has a miracle turnaround, he’s going to be gone next year due to finances anyway.. He sure as hell aint gonna get that monster extension long-term QB’s get.<o:p></o:p>
That being said, since Losman isn’t going to be the answer here; then why play him for one more minute than we should? Why should Edwards according to your theory only get six games to see what he has as opposed to Losman, who’s had.. what 25 games now and looks just like he did in 2005 right now?<o:p></o:p>
Am I convinced that Edwards is going to be a star in this league? Sorta, even though I have no basis for it right now. It’s just my hunch.. I am TOTALLY convinced he will move this team better than Losman does, and for that reason alone, despite his experience, I actually do think he gives the team a better chance to win, even right now. The coaching staff has ZERO confidence in Losman, that couldn’t be anymore apparent. I think if we continue to play close the vest, as we’re clearly doing right now. Then Edwards is the guy without question who should be starting.<o:p></o:p>
Play Edwards for a dozen game, and you’ll know at season’s end if he’s going to be the man, is worth more time, or if we need to look to FA/draft for our franchise QB. <o:p></o:p>
TWO THINGS ARE PAINFULLY certain right now.<o:p></o:p>
1- Losman is no better mentally than he was as a rookie.<o:p></o:p>
2- We made a HORRIBLE mistake by passing on Cutler last year.

(BTW, I do respect your opinions and know we're debating and not arguing)

casdhf
09-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Pat, I think it's pretty fair to say that Kelsay is a better pass rusher than Mike Hargrove is.

Mr. Pink
09-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Didn't Mike Hargrove quit managing the Mariners earlier in the year?

Saratoga Slim
09-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Who knows though. The way things are now it's nearly impossible to accurately diagnose things like Losman e.g., simply because so many things wrong compound the others.

I think that's the point of the day. On defense the injuries alone make it hard to blame even the coaching staff.

I'm actually not as concerned about our defense as our offense. We did a good job in the first half of keeping Pitt out of the end zone, and maybe that would have continued in the second half if the D wasn't dog tired from being on the field the whole game. But I'd really like to see some indication that this offense is ever going to generate any points. If we could score a meager 15-20 offensive points a game I think our scoring defense is good enough to get us 8-9 wins. that's not a lot to ask.

patmoran2006
09-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Didn't Mike Hargrove quit managing the Mariners earlier in the year?
Thank God or they'd have stayed ahead of the Yanks.

deepslant
09-18-2007, 02:24 PM
I don't get it. In every other sport guy's get benched regularly when they are playing sub-par. BBall, baseball, whatever to let the player clear there head and let them know they need to man up. Why not bench JP, if he sucks again, for a game to let him know, the team know, and the fans that his play isn't going to be tolerated. If Edwards sucks against the Jets then give JP another shot. JP should ride the pine if his play doesn't improve. The benching would help management determine if Edwards has "it" or just another imposter.

patmoran2006
09-18-2007, 02:30 PM
I don't get it. In every other sport guy's get benched regularly when they are playing sub-par. BBall, baseball, whatever to let the player clear there head and let them know they need to man up. Why not bench JP, if he sucks again, for a game to let him know, the team know, and the fans that his play isn't going to be tolerated. If Edwards sucks against the Jets then give JP another shot. JP should ride the pine if his play doesn't improve. The benching would help management determine if Edwards has "it" or just another imposter.
good point.

DraftBoy
09-18-2007, 02:41 PM
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Before putting my bias aside for the FO, it shouldn’t be understated why I am biased against the FO. I have plenty of reason for it, as should all Bills fan. The bottom line is the Front Office has made a mess of this organization, and I could argue rather easily that it’s in just as bad or maybe even worse shape than what Donadope left it (whom I’m NO fan of either)<o:p></o:p>
Not only have the vast majority of our FA signees and own resignings been disasters, they’ve handcuffed this team big-time due to our “cash to cap” philosophy. Unlike other teams who will discard their trash FA signings and replace them all over again, with a limited budget we’re unable (or unwilling to do that) so when our FO makes a mistake it hurts us even more because we’re stuck.<o:p></o:p>
We invested $6 million per year in Kelsay. Why? He’s a poor man’s Schobel. He is pretty good in obvious pass rushing situations, but is he that much better than Ryan Denney or Mike Hargrove in the same situation? AS for the run, you guys talk about Fletcher and his 7-10 yard downfield tackles. Well, LOL what about Kelsay>? When is the last time he’s pinned the RB behind the line? Worst part is with the CRAZY extension given to a phenomenal yet one dimensional DE in Schobel, we’re so into these guys for cash that we’re stuck with them. The result is two DE’s incapable of stopping the run.<o:p></o:p>
Robert Royal, Peerless Price and Josh Reed. All trash with the exception of Reed who at best is decent. $30 million invested there with over $7 million in signing bonuses.<o:p></o:p>
I can go on and on. $25 million to a right tackle who looked helpless against <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pittsburgh</st1:place></st1:City> (and IM sure it wont’ be the last time). $1.3 million signing bonus to a QB who remained third string in 2006 and was cut this year.<o:p></o:p>
For some teams this is no big deal. For a cash-strapped team like the Bills these mistakes are more costly. HOWEVER, it NEEDS to be noted the BIGGEST issue isn’t money (at least not directly). It’s our FO decision to hire Jauron as H.C., who in turn brings in Fairchild and Fewell. The bottom line is we have minor league coaches in a major league. Who is responsible for this stuff? Someone has to be?It’s not my fault, it’s not your fault? Do you honestly think this is going to be a successful franchise with Levy as GM (an earpiece on to boot) and a perennial loser like Jauron?<o:p></o:p>
You want this team to turn around? Start with a real coach. Cowher is the ideal choice, as he is with probably a dozen teams. Economics will surely forbid that to happen. So realistically, how about a coach like Martz or Sherman (who should’ve been the choice last year). This team needs a coach with some creativity and vision.<o:p></o:p>
I’m harsh on Marv when I shouldn’t be. The reason I shouldn’t be is I know for a fact he has a <st1:place w:st="on">LOT</st1:place> less to do with personnel decisions on this team than we give him credit for. Guy/Modrak they need to go to. We need a brand new, TRUE personnel guy. This team is simply too weak at too many spots. So I admit I’m biased against the FO. Then again, I should be. They are brutal, with a brutal track record.<o:p></o:p>
Onto Losman. The question becomes, are you NOT convinced that he’s not the long-term answer here? I find it hard to believe you wouldn’t be convinced when you look around the league and see what all these other young QB’s are doing in comparison to him. He’s got a cannon arm with a midget mind. That’s not going to change. It hasn’t changed this year, it barely changed last year as well. Sometimes you gotta just cut your losses. I’m willing to bet ANYTHING that unless Losman has a miracle turnaround, he’s going to be gone next year due to finances anyway.. He sure as hell aint gonna get that monster extension long-term QB’s get.<o:p></o:p>
That being said, since Losman isn’t going to be the answer here; then why play him for one more minute than we should? Why should Edwards according to your theory only get six games to see what he has as opposed to Losman, who’s had.. what 25 games now and looks just like he did in 2005 right now?<o:p></o:p>
Am I convinced that Edwards is going to be a star in this league? Sorta, even though I have no basis for it right now. It’s just my hunch.. I am TOTALLY convinced he will move this team better than Losman does, and for that reason alone, despite his experience, I actually do think he gives the team a better chance to win, even right now. The coaching staff has ZERO confidence in Losman, that couldn’t be anymore apparent. I think if we continue to play close the vest, as we’re clearly doing right now. Then Edwards is the guy without question who should be starting.<o:p></o:p>
Play Edwards for a dozen game, and you’ll know at season’s end if he’s going to be the man, is worth more time, or if we need to look to FA/draft for our franchise QB. <o:p></o:p>
TWO THINGS ARE PAINFULLY certain right now.<o:p></o:p>
1- Losman is no better mentally than he was as a rookie.<o:p></o:p>
2- We made a HORRIBLE mistake by passing on Cutler last year.

(BTW, I do respect your opinions and know we're debating and not arguing)

Yes we all know about your dislike for the FO and staff, we've read it a bunch of times and I agree with you on most of that, this much you should know already. Also if you'll remeber recent history I was one of the first and few to say that I doubted Losman had the mental ability to be a starter before last season even began but he proved me wrong for the time being last season. However as Ive stated before the goal of this organization is to play to win the games so whether Losman is here next year or not he gives us the best shot to win. Its kinda like the theory CIN used with Carson Palmer or that TEN did with McNair. You dont rush a rookie you sit him even though he is the long term answer, you dont just throw him into the fire. You play to win, not to develop. You say it yourself you have nothing to base your fascination with Edwards off of except a hunch, I saw the kid play a decent amount last year, he wasnt overly impressive. Beating up scrubs doesnt really make me wanna jump around alot in the preseason, poised or not.

And for god sakes can you not write your posts in a normal font, you know how difficult it is to quote your post and then try and read it.

John Doe
09-18-2007, 05:21 PM
I think that's the point of the day. On defense the injuries alone make it hard to blame even the coaching staff.

I'm actually not as concerned about our defense as our offense. We did a good job in the first half of keeping Pitt out of the end zone, and maybe that would have continued in the second half if the D wasn't dog tired from being on the field the whole game. But I'd really like to see some indication that this offense is ever going to generate any points. If we could score a meager 15-20 offensive points a game I think our scoring defense is good enough to get us 8-9 wins. that's not a lot to ask.

Losing 6 of the team's top players on defense (including 3 starters) to start the season is as bad as it gets.

Elminster
09-18-2007, 05:30 PM
But pats definitely right. It is maddening to see other QBs around the league with less experience and lesser weapons on offense, even lesser O-lines doing better than JP. Campbell in Washington, Derek Anderson in Cleveland, Schaub in Houston, Cutler in Denver, Vince Young, etc, etc...Eli Manning, for as much crap as NY fans give him, I'll take him! Even the backup QB for the Jets made more plays than JP last week. It's just getting pathetic!
That's because they're allowed to play. They make JP play like he's wearing shackles on his legs...

HHURRICANE
09-18-2007, 07:17 PM
I posted 2 years ago that Schobel was over rated and I got chastized.

This team sucks.

TacklingDummy
09-18-2007, 07:36 PM
I posted 2 years ago that Schobel was over rated and I got chastized.

This team sucks.

Schobel is good in garbage time. Just like JP.

Oaf
09-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Not that I don't agree about anything said, but BOY did we toss this kid under the bus after two games. Take a look at the threads before week 1 about him. Yeesh.

That being said, I haven't fully given up hope on JP quite yet, but if he doesn't show VAST improvement over the next 3 games before the bye, I will have. If he continues to tank and we go 0-5 or even 1-4, I'll be calling for Edwards to start after the bye with the rest of you all.

Ingtar33
09-18-2007, 09:19 PM
good article.

not often i read somethign here and nod at pretty much every point, saying, yep, yep, yep.

very well written, organized, and well argued.

I wish i could disagree.

YardRat
09-18-2007, 09:47 PM

:rofl:

This is the same argument the 'Holcombites' used during the JP-Kelly debates. I can't wait until the 'JP is what he is, and this is as good as he's ever going to get, so we might as well play the young guy and see what we have for the future' comments to start flying about Edwards.

Damn, I love irony :D

Devin
09-23-2007, 11:46 PM
Here we go, in no particular order.......<o:p></o:p>

Pat I can honestly say this is the best piece ive read by you yet. Nice job.

Agree almost 100%.