PDA

View Full Version : why benching jp would be a mistake

bigmouldsfan
09-19-2007, 08:53 AM
we all remember last year, how bad jp looked to start and then how he really came on in the houston game and thereafter. i, like most, thought/hoped that he'd taken his lumps and was starting the progression towards being an above average qb and one that could make the bills a dangerous team.

his horrible start to this season not only destroyed that momentum, it has called into question his ability to even be in the league. he has looked lost and indecisive. however, unlike most, i believe that jp and to a lesser extent the whole offense including fairchild was guilty of ready their own press clippings at the end of last year. from what i heard in training camp and preseason they held inflated opinions of themselves and just did not enter the season ready to compete or fundamentally sound enough to succeed. I am hopeful that given it's humiliating start, the offense and especially jp, will get serious about hard work preparation and diligence. that's why for me jp's comments after the game and even on monday were as dissapointing as his performance. this does not seem like a guy who's been humbled, it sounded like a guy who thinks he's gotten a raw deal. if that is his attitude he will never succeed, at least not here.

i know a lot of you, especially PM, feel that you have already seen enough from jp to know that he will never be sucessful and that he just lacks essential presence and feel for the game to be successful. it's hard to disagree based on anything in the past two games. regardless it is not the right time to feel the time is right to turn it over to edwards. with the difficulty of the schedule, there's just no point. there would be too much risk of just ruining him permanently. i think the only thing to do is accept this is a bad team (for those who have not already) and hope that it improves throughout the year. even though the offense has been a disappointment, the defense is still too weak for the bills to have gone anywhere.

EDS
09-19-2007, 10:05 AM
I think it is too early to bench him as well. That said, he needs to have a few goods games, show some consistency and get some W's before I will be comfortable.

Bottom line is one good game is not enough given his experience.

There is no reason the offense shouldn't be better then last season given the additional experience JP has, the fact that the team is running the same offensive system for the second year in a row and the spending spree on "upgrading" the offensive line.

Oaf
09-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Agreed. Good post.

THATHURMANATOR
09-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Thread # 455,099 in regards to JP being benched or not.... :ill:

superbills
09-19-2007, 12:45 PM
I don't usually come in on the negative side of these issues, but does it matter, really who starts at quarterback? The whole team is in shambles. Save for a couple of select positions and players (i.e. Lynch, Pos, Whitner, Evans) we have question marks everywhere. That includes coaches. We're not going to make any headway with the current way of doing things. It's the organization as a whole. The stink on these pigs goes straight to the top. Ralph has put the wraps on us competitively and I don't see how we wiggle out of this.

From Donahoe, right on down to the failed coaches and players that have rolled through here since 1995, we've been mired in a circular pattern of improve a little, fail, improve a little, fail, etc. I don't see an end in sight, either, save for the owner bowing out and selling to the highest bidder. I won't even get into the host of problems that will churn up.