PDA

View Full Version : My plan: shorterm, longterm

Confused
09-19-2007, 02:05 PM
After a busy offseason, the Bills find themselves again on the threshold of another disapointing season. We've been here before. Too many times.
I have a few ideas to help this season be better.
1. Coaching. It all starts here. We need to be a little (ok alot) more gutsy in our play calling. Gadget plays, play action, and a little trickery everynow and then would take away the predictablity of our offense. Too many times have the Bills "shown" run in there formation, the opposing defense has caught on to it, adjusted there set, and we run a run play up the middle for a loss. 3 yard passes on 3rd and 5. dumb calls.

2. Passing game: SPREAD THE DARNED FIELD!!!! a four reciever set lends itself to mismatches. plain and simple. Parrish covered by anyone but a no.1 or no2. cb is a matchup we need to capitalize on. Send Lee on a post pattern every other play. Even if we dont bomb him the ball every time, our recievers are sooo poorly regarded by opposing defenses that with Lee doubled and running for the endzone, thats 2 less defenders in the middle of the field for JP to get the ball to Josh or Roscoe.

3. Running game: Marshawn is a beast. He seems to have is best runs off either misdirection plays or the counter plays. more of em. Get that highly paid O-line to gel asap. Find a center worth a S#it.

4. Defense: CATCH THE ****** BALL TERENCE!!!!!!! aside from that and keeping our remaining guys healthy there really isnt much we can do here. Seeing how we lost Ko Simpson, why not sprinkle John Wendling in a little and see what the kid is made of. He's more athletic than Leonard. Ashton Youboty is a way better CB than Webster. Inexperience with a huge upside is wayyy better than a veteran on the backside of his carreer. Poz will learn the pass.

5. Special teams: Solely in the interest of keeping Mcgee healthy, how about a 50-50 split of returns with my boy Roscoe. Other than that our ST is the freeking bomb yo! A fake punt (god knows we punt enough) or two would shake thing up and raise a few pulses.

LONGTERM SOLUTIONS:

JP: "Make or break" is a flucking understatement. He needs to step it up. complete the passes he's allowed to throw. Your days are numbered Japers. I would have a true QB competion this offseason regardless of JP's play the rest of the season.

Evans: we need to plan for this guy to leave us. Limas Sweede is my top choice and should be ours next April. I feel Lee feels he's wasting his career here.

P.Price: Trade or cut. We have all seem what he cant do. I for one have seen enough.

Free agency: I could go on for hours about the things we should have done last offseason( Dre Bly, Trotter, S.Rice). This upcomming offseason, lets at least take a shot at Asante Samuel. He'll want big money, more than RW will prolly pay but WTF? what do we got to loose? Mcgee is NOT a No.1 CB. Maybe in the CFL but not here. We need a GOOD center. all that is missing from our o-line. that and a reliable tight end. Royale is almost useless in passing and IS usless in blocking. On the defensive side, Our LB corps is week. Poz has potentil and I root for him alot. Crowell is good but not great and Ellison and DiGi are not starters. We CANNOT build a team thru the draft. Aggressive moves must be made to shore up our defense. We need another monster DT. We should have grabbed Tank Johnson character issues be darned.

The coaching: Two years ago i said that Marv is just a public relations move to keep season tickets up. He has arguably done more damage than good.Lets get a new GM.
The swingin dick Jauron needs a demotion. He'd make a great defensive coordinator. Thats about it. We would greatly benefit from a ballsy, young, emotional coach it inspire our boys. Fairchild needs to grab his midsection and be reminded of what makes him a man. Or I may be way off base and fairchild is being held back by Jauron's ultra conservative playcalling. either way, changes must be made.
On defense: Tampa 2 is not the way to go. Build our defense around a strong 3-4 with a shutdown corner that rotates to the side the no1. WR happens to be playing. Poz would flourish in this scheme.

The Draft: If things continue to go miserably for the Bills, a top five pick is not a longshot. That said any pick other than no1 should be a WR. Like I said above, I dont see Lee sticking around. If by some chance we finish dead last, Mcfadden should be our boy. We use him as a trade to shore up some other problems, We should not however, trade that pick. We should be savy and get as much as we can for this guy. I'm complety sold on Lynch so Mcfadden wouldnt even need to be fitted for a Bills uni. Next is obviously a CB then DT then TE then BPA.

Well thats what I think, You guys and gals have no idea the frustration i feel about his current team. I just wanna win.

Bruce is Loose
09-19-2007, 02:40 PM
you are right - we have no idea about your frstrations ... I actually came away from last weeks game jubilant and smiling...

I came out like this: :dance2:

raphael120
09-19-2007, 03:11 PM
you are right - we have no idea about your frstrations ... I actually came away from last weeks game jubilant and smiling...

I came out like this: :dance2:

I actually drove to Pittsburgh and paid 130 bucks for that crap on the field. I was whoopty doo too. At least tailgaiting was fun.

london59
09-19-2007, 04:59 PM
I agree with everything you said except taking a WR in the 1st round. I would take the biggest, fastest freak of a DT, DE or LB available at our pick. Our Defense is deplorable and until we learn how to stop the run and/or put pressure on other teams QB's we are done. This unit could not get off the field for the last two Sundays and we are lucky the score wasn't higher. I mean how many times did you see one of our Defensive players within a fingertips grasp of sacking Cutler and Rothlisberger but they got away and made a big play. We are just too bloody slow up front and this must stop asap.

The offense does need attention including the aforementioned Center, TE, WR, real Full Back and even the QB changed but this can be done via later rounds and Free Agency.

wozrob11
09-19-2007, 06:24 PM
god forbid we finish last in the league ,but do you think edwards is the next jim kelly, i know we just got him but i think we got to go after brian brohm if we have the chance to get him. call me crazy but thats what i think.

YardRat
09-19-2007, 06:59 PM
1. I'd be more open to criticism of the coaching and play selection on offense if JP were playing better. Fans don't know what plays are called, and with Losman's indecisiveness and happy feet it's difficult to be positive what the problem really is. The only thing that is obvious, is JP isn't performing anywhere near adequately, and until he does the coaches need to be given the benefit of the doubt.

We KNOW JP is stinking up the joint, whether or not the coaches are is merely speculation.

2. Spread out the WR's all you want, and put as many on the field as possible...the QB still has to drop, read, and throw.

3. I think the running game will improve as the year wears on, and I agree center should be a priority in the off season. Lynch is going to be good...real good.

4. I'm not worried about the defense, although the litany of injuries sure doesn't help matters.

5. I like McGee full time on KO's...it's the only time in the game I expect something good to happen anymore. Please don't take that away also :D

JP-If his play continues at this level, I'd be stunned to see him starting after the bye. There will be no competition, and Edwards will be given his shot. JP's had enough turns at the helm.

Evans-He won't extend now, if he's smart, and the only thing that will keep him here is a quality QB. Hopefully we have one on the roster.

Price-Somebody currently not on the roster should be our #2 next year, and I don't care if it's a FA or a rookie. I tend to think that part of Price's lack of production stems from the QB play, but even if JP was playing at a pro bowl level the team could upgrade this position.

FA-We definitely need to bring in quality over quantity this off-season and at least attempt to make a major upgrade at a few positions.

Coaching-I'll give Marv and Dick until the end of this season, and then re-evaluate.

Draft-I'm not locked on to any position, but we have enough room in spots where our first two picks should be in the starting line-up on opening day, similar to Lynch and Poz.

im4bflo
09-19-2007, 07:05 PM
My plan: shorterm- watch BILLS, drink BEER. longterm- repeat shorterm :snicker2:

Confused
09-19-2007, 07:21 PM
god forbid we finish last in the league ,but do you think edwards is the next jim kelly, i know we just got him but i think we got to go after brian brohm if we have the chance to get him. call me crazy but thats what i think.
I learned my lesson about putting my faith in an unproven QB with Losman and Johnson. Brohm may be an option.

jamze132
09-20-2007, 09:58 AM
I learned my lesson about putting my faith in an unproven QB with Losman and Johnson. Brohm may be an option.
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't Brohm be an unproven QB in the NFL?

I would rather just stick wth Edwards if JP stnks it up. No point in using ANOTHER day 1 pick on a QB. I would go strictly defense on Day 1. DT/CB/LB

Oaf
09-20-2007, 11:38 AM
I love how the entire offseason consisted of homeristic articles from Chris Brown and gang @ buffalobills.com talking about how Steve Fairchild was going to double his use of the 4-WR set, utilize the TEs in the recieving game, and designate plays to use Lynch's recieving ability.

What a load of ****. :bs:

So far all I've seen consistently thus far is the 2 wide set with Price, Royal as TE, and a fake FB in Whittle or Neufeld in the backfield with Lynch. That's as vanilla as it gets.

G. Host
09-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Even if we dont bomb him the ball every time, our recievers are sooo poorly regarded by opposing defenses that with Lee doubled and running for the endzone.

Sounds like the Patriots' defense is a fan are Bills fans or at least act like them.

churchinski
09-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Never put all your eggs in one basket case

They should have taken Cutler in Levy's 1st draft.

Oaf
09-21-2007, 07:20 PM
My plan: shorterm, longterm

shorterm: Beat Patriots

longterm: use largest upset in NFL 2007 season to propel team to playoffs

Al the Bills Fan
09-21-2007, 07:33 PM
I agree with everything that you listed except for one thing. You said that the playcalling needed to be gutsier. I do not agree, I think that the offense has been pretty gutsy up to this point in the season.

example #1 - the Evans deep ball on 3rd and 5 against the Broncos which agruably lost us the game.

example #2 - 3rd and 1 against the Steelers, we throw the ball instead of run and end up punting the ball.

example #3 - 3rd and short again against the Steelers, instead of the run we see the pass - results in a fourth down.

example #4 - 4th and short (a result of the failure 3rd down above) we pass again - Turnover on downs.

I think our playcalling needs to be smarter (which I believe you also said) not gutsier! Fairchild has guts, I question his brains!