PDA

View Full Version : Coach has rough idea for opening-night lines

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Lines are starting to form in Lindy Ruff’s mind. The Buffalo Sabres’ coach shuffled his forwards around throughout the first few days of training camp, mixing veterans with junior players.

Two days before the preseason opener Friday night against the Columbus Blue Jackets in HSBC Arena, Ruff is beginning to draw up combinations he might use on opening night of the regular season in a little more than two weeks.

At practice Tuesday, at least two probable lines were assembled. The only line from last season that should stay intact — Derek Roy between Thomas Vanek and Maxim Afinogenov — skated together. Also, Tim Connolly centered Ales Kotalik and Jason Pominville.

“There’s been a little bit of a connection with Tim Connolly,” Ruff said. “He’s played well with whoever he’s played with in camp, but there’s always been a connection with him and Al from the past. If Tim can find Al, it’s a weapon I feel can be very dangerous.”

Ruff indicated another line would be constructed with Paul Gaustad or Jochen Hecht in the center, with the other on the left wing and Drew Stafford on the right wing. The fourth line likely would consist of Adam Mair in the middle with wingers Daniel Paille, Andrew Peters or Michael Ryan.

“There’s pieces in all of those top three we can move around,” Ruff said. “We know that Roy, Vanek and Stafford played well together and Kotalik and Connolly and Afinogenov at one time played really well together. We have options we can try.

“The scrimmages have all been high-scoring scrimmages. I don’t know whether it’s bad goaltending or good offense. Offensively, we do have a lot of talent on a lot of different lines. I think we’re going to be fine.”

Ruff said the training camp roster contains a misleading bit of info. Ryan is listed as a center, but he hasn’t been moved from the wing.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabresnhl/story/166056.html

Vanek - Roy - Afinogenov
Kotalik - Connoly - Pominville
Gaustad - Hecht - Stafford
Paille - Mair - Peters/Ryan

BlackMetalNinja
09-20-2007, 06:07 AM
About what I expected once they said that Hecht might move to center... I still think we can be a very explosive offensive team as long as we stay healthy. If Miller is on top of his game this year, I still think we're a 4th-6th place team in the East.

RockStar36
09-20-2007, 09:02 AM
Oh come on BMN. They can win the division again.

Philagape
09-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Cup or miserable colossal failure. This was a Cup contender before Black Sunday, and I'm not changing my standards because of the two stooges in the FO.

RockStar36
09-20-2007, 09:09 AM
They still have a really good team.

I think Miller is going to have to be the difference though. He has his moments when he is really good but he also lets in a few shaky goals.

He just had another full season of experience. I want to see him steal some games and have more shut-outs. I want to see him take that step that makes him an elite goalie.

camelcowboy
09-20-2007, 10:33 AM
sort of wasting stafford imo, I would like to see him with some fire power at center and wing.

Nighthawk
09-22-2007, 07:24 AM
It's early, but putting Stafford on that line would be very stupid. This kid can play and he won't be able to do it on that line. We'll see how things play out.

churchinski
10-02-2007, 07:33 PM
It's early, but putting Stafford on that line would be very stupid. This kid can play and he won't be able to do it on that line. We'll see how things play out.Yeah I don't want to see Stafford get stuck with plodders for his entire career.

I never liked the way Ruff denied Drury wingers that could score.
I think he vastly under ulitilized Drury's offensive ability.
He put Roy with Drury only when he was forced to in the ECF and suddenly we had some offensive spark.

I don't want to see him pigeon hole Stafford that way.

The other thing is that I want to see MacArthur in there because I think this lineup is shiftng too far in the other direction .

We need to preserve more of the skill element.

Kotalik Gaustad Hecht Paille Ryan Mair Peters , that is just too much lunchpail or semi lunchpail for me.

It's my bet that it won't stay in tact long term.

MacArthur is just too good to keep out of lineup.

But Ruff is slow to respond and I expect that he'll need to get hit over the head with it before he moves to put it back into balance.