X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Steve Fairchild's hidden message

I also explain this in my Bills/Pats preview show (thread at top of this forum). So, if you are more of an audio learner you can skip this and listen instead.

Steve Fairchild made the following comment this week:
    "We're getting pressured, and that exposes you. When you play a pressure defense, which we have the first two weeks, you have to make plays in the passing game. When you do you usually have big days. We just haven't made enough of them."

At first glance, it appears he's calling out the offensive line for not being able to handle the pass rush, causing JP not to have enough time to get rid of the football. But he's not. He's actually indirectly pointing a finger at either Losman, the WRs, or both. He's saying they aren't handling the "hot reads" well enough. Not making quick enough adjustments to the blitzes they are seeing.

Let me explain how a "hot read" normally works, and you'll understand what I mean. It's actually quite easy.

A wide receiver splits out wide. He has to take a look at the very first defender to his inside (other than a DL). If that defender blitzes when the ball is snapped, it is the WRs responsibility to go directly to that vacated area and look for the football. It's also the QBs responsibility to see the blitzer and dump the ball to that spot.

Of course, the QB can't do it blindly. He has to take a quick peak at the area the blitzer came from and make sure the WR is there before he throws. So, if the WR doesn't make the adjustment, neither can the QB. And the reverse is true. If the QB doesn't see and make the adjustment, the WR is left standing in a spot other than where the intended route was designed. That will cause the QB to look for him, hold the ball, and most likely be sacked.

It's basic rules: First defender to your inside blitzes, you go and REPLACE him at that spot. QB sees blitzer, he throws to where he came from at pre-snap.

The Bills did this perfectly last year in their home opener against the Jets. Remember Roscoe's TD on the 2nd play of the game? He did a great job of dumping down into the vacated zone after the blitz. Here's the video link: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_i...2006&week=REG3

Unfortunately, you can't see the blitzer before and during the snap, but you can see him trailing the play after Roscoe catches the ball and figure out what happened (but I remember it at the time as being a terrific hot read pick-up). JP took all of maybe one second to look and throw it to the right spot on that play, too.

Do defenses know this and counter by rolling another player to that spot sometimes? Of course (a zone blitz is a perfect example). But remember, for every defender they do that with, they leave another area exposed. So, usually, DCs will just take their chances at the offense not recognizing the blitz (maybe be disguising it) and/or getting to the QB before he gets rid of it. The fewer areas they have to roll to, and fewer players they have to move after the snap, the better off they are. So, they usually just call it and go with it.

All of this adds up to Steve Fairchild's hidden message: The QB and/or the WRs re not doing a good enough job of either blitz recognition and/or getting to their spots and getting the ball to them when they do recognize it.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: Steve Fairchild's hidden message

Nice Analysis coach.

I did notice a few sacks in the Pitt game it looked like JP was looking to pass the ball, but pumped and brought it back in.

Not sure what that means, but he did so.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

a traditional hot read usually involved the QB calling the adjustment out to the wideout so that both players are on the same page not just the wide out seeing the blitzer and the QB seeing him. They have to communicate somehow on that, like Peyton does for the Colts.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Can't always be done DB. Sometimes the adjustment has to come Post-snap.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Can't always be done DB. Sometimes the adjustment has to come Post-snap.
          No doubt but right now we are seeing neither happen
          COMING SOON...
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Coach Sal
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by DraftBoy
            a traditional hot read usually involved the QB calling the adjustment out to the wideout so that both players are on the same page not just the wide out seeing the blitzer and the QB seeing him. They have to communicate somehow on that, like Peyton does for the Colts.
            Good point.

But in today's world of zone blitzes and disguised coverages, the blitz is often not sen pre-snap.

But yes, if it is, that has to be communicated somehow as you said.

Jim Kelly was good at that.....but the no-huddle allowed him much more pre-snap time to see the field and read the what was coming and make the adjustments.

The Colts don't huddle a lot, either, which gives Manning the same advantages.

But Kelly and Manning were/are both very smart QBs. JP is no where near that level right now.
            Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
            And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
              Zero for Zero!
              • Mar 2003

One thing I got from the different PC's is that JP is still not allowed to audible or it is limited. While realizing the coaches might be saying he can't handle it, leaving the guy in an impossible situation (i.e. the pass to Peerless on 3rd down from the 5) is also pointless and will not allow the team to win.

If he can't do that, he is not good enough. Let him try and see what happens.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

If I remember correctly, wasn't it the same type of problem that stifled Kevin Gilbride's offense? His system depended on the QB and the WR making the same read at the LOS to determine the route- and that's why so many of Bledsoe's passes went to a vacant spot on the field (or into the waiting arms of a defender). Either the WR or Bledsoe made the wrong read- the whole system was too complex.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

Well if JP is not making the read early enough, he has the stuff needed to break contain and get another second or so. I have no idea why Jauron and Co. want to keep him in the pocket and take away another dimension to JP's game. Not to mention the fact that just about every defense has trouble defending a QB that liked to exit the pocket. Now, in no way am I advocating that JP plays like Vick or Young, but making him stay in the pocket is plain stupid. Let him make **** happen.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                    Dances With Buffaloes
                    • Sep 2002

Gilbride's system used multiple routs per passing play, depending on both the blitz and coverages.

it was a degree more complex then a simply hot rout.

Sal nailed the explanation pretty much perfectly, though, at the nfl level, oftentimes the QB has to throw it to the area of the blitz without checking if the WR ran a hot rout.

I've seen jp, double clutch while looking in the direction of the blitz, so he's checking for the WR and either, they're zone blitzing (likely with Pittsburgh) or the WR is covered/not running the hot rout.

Though of course i also remember the first sack of the pit game, and i was screaming for him to throw the ball. he held it WAY too long even for a deep pass.

the offense has a lot of things wrong with it, from QB and WR, to defense.
                    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• RedEyE
                      • Jul 2002

It's not a complex system though. It just requires decisive throws and the QB has to trust his instincts a little as well. JP has only thrown 1 int. That' great, and I'm not condoning giving up the ball, but you can't be afraid to turn it over either. You have to gamble time and time again to beat the blitz and by beating the blitz you will in turn keep them honest. JP has got to get better at making decisions. And yes, the WR need to make better reads on the blitz, but the trust factor starts behind center.

This is high school stuff though. He's learned all of this years ago and shouldn't be working on this his 4th year in the NFL.

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                        If I remember correctly, wasn't it the same type of problem that stifled Kevin Gilbride's offense? His system depended on the QB and the WR making the same read at the LOS to determine the route- and that's why so many of Bledsoe's passes went to a vacant spot on the field (or into the waiting arms of a defender). Either the WR or Bledsoe made the wrong read- the whole system was too complex.
                        That is essentially true. However, I think Gilbride's offense took to an extreme the necessity of both WR and QB making multiple reads. It sounds to me as if all offenses have to have some means of allowing QB and WR to make a hot read. All offenses have some mechanism built in to tell the WR and QB, "if the DB does this, you do that." It's just a matter of degree.
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Sal
                          All of this adds up to Steve Fairchild's hidden message: The QB and/or the WRs re not doing a good enough job of either blitz recognition and/or getting to their spots and getting the ball to them when they do recognize it.
                          Perhaps. But where's the analysis of Losman's inaccuracy when he does fire it off in time?

Where's the analysis of his stretching out our WRs destining them for IR?

Where's the analysis of our line blocking so horridly that they can rarely, not even sometimes, get good blocking even just with their particular man on blitzes? It seems as if no one's directly in front of them to block they don't know what to do like German field troops in WWII w/o specific orders.

Fairchild doesn't know what he's doing. He too like Levy and Fewell, are OJT coordinators. Jauron's just a loser.

Lastly, the reasons why with a year's worth of film already, now clinic films on how to not merely beat us, but dust us, other coaches, at least the mediocre to better ones won't do the same exact things is why now?

Also, while preseason is meaningless to many, we didn't play any teams that can even moderately be considered "pressure teams" yet our performances there was identical.

I appreciate your desire to find a one-sy or two-sy "reason" as to why we suck Coach, but let's be real, these guys are somewhere between entirely unqualified, incompetent, poorly led at all levels, do not have the talent to begin with, and in general just lousy overall.

The reasons for why this team stinks permeates the entire organization from top to bottom although I will lift my hat to Brandon and the marketing department who are selling tubes of rat crap as toothpaste.

And how about Jim McNally. Sweet mother of mercy when is that guy going to get canned. He puts a new meaning to the word "teflon."

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                            • Jul 2003

Fairchild's system doesn't call for audibles because that is the philosophy. You run the play. It is the same system that Mike Martz/Ernie Zampese have used with the Rams with great success. It goes all the way back to Sid Gillman and the high-scoring San Diego teams.

Not being able to call audibles isn't the issue, because it is part of the philosophy. It has nothing to do with J.P. being able to handle it or not, rather it has to do with executing the offense.

A lot of offenses use option routes that require the WR to adjust their routes based on a read of the defense. The Patriots use that philosophy as much as anyone today, requiring the WR to cut their routes off based on a blitz read (or perhaps a different read) and Brady to make the same read. Sometimes Brady calls an audible pre-snap that changes the WR's route, but more often he is just setting protection and requiring the WR to make the proper read on his own.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                              I've seen jp, double clutch while looking in the direction of the blitz, so he's checking for the WR and either, they're zone blitzing (likely with Pittsburgh) or the WR is covered/not running the hot rout.
                              You are a great poster but I'm not sure I agree on why JP is not getting rid of the ball.

I actually think that JP is having a problem that he'll never get past. I think he is indecisive and can't see the field very well. He misses the play called and than panics to fin a solution.

Comment

Working...
                              X