PDA

View Full Version : would cowher help?

trapezeus
09-20-2007, 09:25 AM
ralph's cheapness seems to be with coaches and GM's. More or less he seems to be willing to pay the players, and for the wall of fame guys, he seems to really take care of them.

but he's never gone out and spent big money on a big name coach. I wonder why he's so afraid of getting someone with experience who could grow the bills brand instead of taking the lowest lying fruit and have the same fanbase.

cowher probably will be looking to get back into the league next year. if so, can buffalo go get him? is he a good fit?

LtBillsFan66
09-20-2007, 09:31 AM
I'd love him here.

RockStar36
09-20-2007, 09:41 AM
I would absolutely want him as the coach.

raphael120
09-20-2007, 09:42 AM
It's never going to happen.

OpIv37
09-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Would he help? Yes.

Would he ever be caught dead coaching in Buffalo? Hell no.

patmoran2006
09-20-2007, 09:51 AM
I think wilson has ALWAYS undervalued the importance of top GM and head coaches.. well, at least in last 15 years for sure

patmoran2006
09-20-2007, 09:52 AM
btw
if cowher coaches again(he will)
there will be plenty of teams paying MUCH more than we would for him, for his services.

Clev, Giants, Carolina off top of my head.

zone
09-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Cowher would never go to Giants or Carolina. He is a blue collar guy Clev or Buffalo would be perfect fits.

trapezeus
09-20-2007, 10:04 AM
when you become successful, often times you want to try harder things. what's harder than trying to coach this mess of a team and bring it to its glory. That's why motivated people do.

Losers, get excited that they'll get a check and hope they can hold on for a long time. Sound like any coaches you may know?

jamze132
09-20-2007, 10:12 AM
You guys are wrong.

I would love nothing more than for Cowher to coach the Bills but it is never going to happen. This is what is going to happen, according to my sources inside my brain.

John Fox of the Carolina Panthers is going to be fired and Bill Cowher will be hired as GM/coach. He didn't just build a home right there for the hell of it? He and his family love the area and it is the perfect place for him to continue with football while spending max amount of time at home with the family.

What this does is make John Fox available if Jauron is still ******ed at the end of the season. Fox would be a much better candidate than Jauron, IMO. But I would also like to see Bobby April interviewed if this is the case.

But I am really against bringing in an entire new crew to "rebuild" the Bills. If Fox or April can take over and not make major changes, then I am all for it.

Of course this is all dependent on Jauron and Fox being fired... which I believe will happen.

justasportsfan
09-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Why does the steelers look better now than when Cowher was there? Even Ben is playing like a qb who was drafted high.

The interesting aprt is that Tomlin is of the Dungy Tampa 2 breed.

I have no doubt in my mind that Lebeau was responsible for our top D. Gray was clueless.

RockStar36
09-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Why does the steelers look better now than when Cowher was there? Even Ben is playing like a qb who was drafted high.

The Steelers "look better" because they have played to bad teams. Not to mention Cowher left a very good team for Tomlin to take over.

Don't forget, Big Ben looked like crap last year in part because of his early season troubles.

jamze132
09-20-2007, 10:18 AM

The interesting aprt is that Tomlin is of the Dungy Tampa 2 breed.

I have no doubt in my mind that Lebeau was responsible for our top D. Gray was clueless.
I don't think Bill leaving has anything at all to do with Ben Roth. playing good so far. He did win what 13 games in a row and the Super Bowl as a rookie, didn't he?

TacklingDummy
09-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Carolina is just looking for an excuse to fire Fox. Cowher will be the next coach of the Panthers.

justasportsfan
09-20-2007, 10:20 AM
He did win what 13 games in a row and the Super Bowl as a rookie, didn't he?
he was average at best. Their running game with Bettis was what carried him.

RockStar36
09-20-2007, 10:24 AM
I don't think Bill leaving has anything at all to do with Ben Roth. playing good so far. He did win what 13 games in a row and the Super Bowl as a rookie, didn't he?

He didn't look great as a rookie winning all those games in a row. Justa is right, the running game carried that team.

He won the SB his second season and even then he didn't look really great.

Like I said, he looks good so far this year because he has gone up against Buffalo and Cleveland.

don137
09-20-2007, 10:30 AM
If the Panthers do not make it to the post season I could see Fox getting fired by Carolina even though the GM has to take a lot of the blame especially even though Fox is building a very nice house here in Charlotte with the intentions of not going anywhere. There are rumblings about Cowher taking over but at this time I think its more of 2 and 2 making sense (Cowher likes North Carolina and lives in North Carolina plus Cowher wanting to coach) than a reality. IMO I do not see Cowher coming back next season unless a team offers huge amounts of cash (eliminate Buffalo). I think he wants a hiatus from coaching to enjoy the family a little more. Charlotte (where the Panthers play) and Raleigh (where Cowher lives) is three hours away so it's not exactly right around the corner.

RockStar36
09-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Regardless of where he goes, it's going to be tough to see him coach another team. Bill Cowher is synonymous with Pittsburgh Steelers football. I can't imagine him wearing another team's logo and coaching them. Amazing what money can do sometimes.

don137
09-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Regardless of where he goes, it's going to be tough to see him coach another team. Bill Cowher is synonymous with Pittsburgh Steelers football. I can't imagine him wearing another team's logo and coaching them. Amazing what money can do sometimes.
The same could of been said for Parcells after he left the Giants..The power of money is powerful.

BlackMetalNinja
09-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Would he help... certainly

Would everybody crap all over him when the turnaround wasn't instant... certainly

Will he ever end up coaching the Bills... certainly not

Mr. Pink
09-20-2007, 11:33 AM
1985-86 Special Teams coach in Cleveland
1987-88 Defensive Backs coach in Cleveland
1989-91 Defensive Coordinator in KC.

Shoulda been the Cleveland Browns HC in 1989...damn Art Modell.

Mudflap1
09-20-2007, 11:34 AM
I don't think Cowher will be back until all of the kids are out of high school in college. That would eliminate this year and next year. Carolina, NYG, and Washington would make the most sense for money and location sake.

And he's not coming to Buffalo. We should really stop starting threads about it. It's so ridiculous. What's next? We're going to trade for Peyton Manning and LaDainian Tomlinson? Stop the crazy talk...

Jon

Wys Guy
09-20-2007, 11:39 AM
ralph's cheapness seems to be with coaches and GM's. More or less he seems to be willing to pay the players, and for the wall of fame guys, he seems to really take care of them.

but he's never gone out and spent big money on a big name coach. I wonder why he's so afraid of getting someone with experience who could grow the bills brand instead of taking the lowest lying fruit and have the same fanbase.

cowher probably will be looking to get back into the league next year. if so, can buffalo go get him? is he a good fit?

I wonder why he's so afraid of getting someone with experience who could grow the bills brand instead of taking the lowest lying fruit and have the same fanbase.

Maybe it's not fear. Maybe it's incompetence.

Everyone assumes that because Wilson's rich that he's some sort of great business man. Other than "winning the lottery" with a 25K team "back in the day," then having that team go along for the ride throughout an era where it was utterly impossible to not grow such an investment into a multi-hundred million dollar asset, what has he done actively to suggest that he's some bright businessman or even NFL owner?

Polian was an accident, not a planned installation by Wilson. Even then, Wilson's daughter's inability to take a little heat in an office environment that used to be a "boy's club" type of environment, and really still is, cost us one of the league's best GMs. Bright move on Wilson's part? Astute even?

I don't think that Wilson truly knows as much about football, other than from the administrative side of things purely, as many people seem to assume or think that he does.

10-win seasons outside of Polian influenced teams are few and far between on Wilson's own team in the NFL and can almost be counted on one hand, and even on one hand depending upon how one counts "Polian influenced teams" which I'm being somewhat conservative on in favor of Wilson here.

In other words, it doesn't even sound to me as if he would hire someone like Cowher for any reasons.

trapezeus
09-20-2007, 12:28 PM
I don't think Cowher will be back until all of the kids are out of high school in college. That would eliminate this year and next year. Carolina, NYG, and Washington would make the most sense for money and location sake.

And he's not coming to Buffalo. We should really stop starting threads about it. It's so ridiculous. What's next? We're going to trade for Peyton Manning and LaDainian Tomlinson? Stop the crazy talk...

Jon

threads like this start because it's looking like a reality. this team is going to have to start over again if it keeps making weak coaching errors.

We've gone through several years of taking the lower rated coach. We know the results. No one is asking for player trades because we know of the contracts and cap issue. For coaches, you have to pour the money in because there is no cap, and ther eis no history of success or willingness to succeed.

Mudflap1
09-20-2007, 12:35 PM
threads like this start because it's looking like a reality. this team is going to have to start over again if it keeps making weak coaching errors.

We've gone through several years of taking the lower rated coach. We know the results. No one is asking for player trades because we know of the contracts and cap issue. For coaches, you have to pour the money in because there is no cap, and ther eis no history of success or willingness to succeed.

Bill Cowher and Buffalo in the same sentence is not reality.

Can we worry about the final FOURTEEN GAMES this season before we start firing people left and right? I'm as unhappy and disenchanted with the team, players, coaches, as everyone else. But we still have a whole freakin' season before we worry about that stuff.

Jon

raphael120
09-20-2007, 12:35 PM
I love how Marv is an awesome coach and knows nothing about managing a whole entire organization, yet everyone is baffled at the fact everything is run so poorly here.

Just because you can coach a football team doesnt mean you know spit about running an organization. In the history of football, has a coach ever become a GM?

trapezeus
09-20-2007, 01:27 PM
i'm not sure, but more successful coaches usually push to get some sort of GM duties. holmgren, dennis green etc. Their theory is that they know the coaching and the talent. and they want to make their decisions without a middle man. Many teams have given that up. I think Denver gives shanny the major decision making abilities. it normally doesn't work out. teams are scucessful, but i don't think it's ever produced a super bowl winner.

don137
09-20-2007, 02:00 PM
I love how Marv is an awesome coach and knows nothing about managing a whole entire organization, yet everyone is baffled at the fact everything is run so poorly here.

Just because you can coach a football team doesnt mean you know spit about running an organization. In the history of football, has a coach ever become a GM?
I think this cash to cap is what hurts the Bills more than Levy's General Manager abilities. The guy is working with a salary cap about 20-25% below what everyone else is working with. Imagine if Buffalo actually spent the same as everyone else. I think they would be a lot better off except for the part that JP is regressing. Levy is basically has no margin of error with his salary situation and he is far from perfect.

G Wolly
09-20-2007, 02:44 PM
IF he still has the same fire now as he did when he coached Pittsburgh.

Jauron is a big softee. When Evans got the Unsportsmanlike conduct penalty last week and showed him walk to the sidelines Dick kinda just put his hand on him and I'm sure told him to "take it easy"

We need a coach who's gonna grab players by the facemask and yell at them until their face is covered in spit.

Some of the most winning coaches ever were tough coaches.

Yasgur's Farm
09-20-2007, 06:45 PM
I love Marv.

Dick... Not so much.

That said... I'd love Cowher as GM/coach.

BlackMetalNinja
09-20-2007, 06:59 PM
I love Marv.

Dick... Not so much.

That said... I'd love Cowher as GM/coach.

Yeah right, everybody knows you love Dick! :rofl:

Just kidding man... you left yourself wide open!

gr8slayer
09-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Wilson would never pay him what he would command and deserve. He'll end up coaching the Cowboys or Redskins.

jamze132
09-21-2007, 06:19 AM
he was average at best. Their running game with Bettis was what carried him.

He didn't look great as a rookie winning all those games in a row. Justa is right, the running game carried that team.

He won the SB his second season and even then he didn't look really great.

Like I said, he looks good so far this year because he has gone up against Buffalo and Cleveland.
If they had JP and he played like he is this year, they wouldn't have won the Super Bowl.