PDA

View Full Version : Passing Developments

justasportsfan
09-20-2007, 10:07 AM
We've got to be precise," said offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild who admitted the passing game has been out of sync. "You've got to time drops up with routes and protection and it's just something we were making strides in. I thought we were a little farther along than we are now. We're getting better and as long as we put our nose down and work hard it's going to work itself out."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5276

justasportsfan
09-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Going over the middle
Unanimously Losman and the receiving corps agree that utilizing the middle of the field more in the passing game is a way to create more opportunities outside and deep downfield.

"Yes it would help," said Evans. "You have to be able to spread it around. You've got to have options all over. It's just not going deep and spreading it out and going outside. You have to be able to do some crossing routes and get to the middle of the field and mix it up and spread it around."

Looks like the wr's are on the same page as JP wanting different looks and opening up the O

TacklingDummy
09-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Maybe they should have played more then a couple of series in each pre-season game?

I could see playing a couple of series if they were Manning, Harrison, Addai, and Wayne. But they are not.

justasportsfan
09-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Maybe they should have played more then a couple of series in each pre-season game?

I think Dick realized this late into preseason which is why he said he wished they had more time.

OpIv37
09-20-2007, 10:26 AM

I could see playing a couple of series if they were Manning, Harrison, Addai, and Wayne. But they are not.

the D really hosed us in that regard in pre season. They couldnt' get off the field and limited the offense's opportunity. When the offense only touches the ball once in the first quarter and the coaches still have to evaluate some of the 2nd and 3rd string guys to iron out the depth chart, it doesn't leave a whole lot of options.

LtBillsFan66
09-20-2007, 10:28 AM

Agreed. Screw the rule of thumb. They should have stayed in until they demonstrated consistent execution.

justasportsfan
09-20-2007, 10:28 AM
the D really hosed us in that regard in pre season. They couldnt' get off the field and limited the offense's opportunity. When the offense only touches the ball once in the first quarter and the coaches still have to evaluate some of the 2nd and 3rd string guys to iron out the depth chart, it doesn't leave a whole lot of options.
the D would tell you the same thing. The O couldn't keep them off the field.

mybills
09-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Looks like the wr's are on the same page as JP wanting different looks and opening up the O
YUP! :punk:

:lolpoint: everyone who said it wasn't the coaching, it was all JP's fault.

OpIv37
09-20-2007, 10:31 AM
the D would tell you the same thing. The O couldn't keep them off the field.

well, in the first preseason game, we kicked off and the offense didn't get the ball til halfway through the first quarter. They had the ball for about 3 minutes, then the D came back on the field and remained on the field for the rest of the quarter.

Blame the O for not making the most of the opportunity, but blame the D for only giving them one opportunity in an entire quarter.

OpIv37
09-20-2007, 10:33 AM
YUP! :punk:

:lolpoint: everyone who said it wasn't the coaching, it was all JP's fault.

it was both. JP has sucked in both games.

justasportsfan
09-20-2007, 10:34 AM
well, in the first preseason game, we kicked off and the offense didn't get the ball til halfway through the first quarter. They had the ball for about 3 minutes, then the D came back on the field and remained on the field for the rest of the quarter.

Blame the O for not making the most of the opportunity, but blame the D for only giving them one opportunity in an entire quarter. both units had their fair share of not helping out the other.

TacklingDummy
09-20-2007, 10:34 AM
The problem with the offense is that they think they are great because in practice they are going up against the Bills defense.

mybills
09-20-2007, 10:39 AM
it was both.
DUH, Obviously.
hence the :lolpoint: those who said it was "all JP's fault".

LtBillsFan66
09-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Throw away realist vs. homer for a second. One thing I'm always adamant about is seeing execution in preseason. The homers always point to PS W/L records of the early 90s teams for justification that the PS "means nothing." I ALWAYS bring up that yes a W or L means nothing, but seeing the starting team play well or play like crap means everything. That's why I label myself a realistic homer.

Earthquake Enyart
09-20-2007, 11:09 AM
There is a reason why they gave Edwards all that time in the preseason.

Yasgur's Farm
09-20-2007, 11:16 AM
I read that article...

1) I thought it was great.
2) Reading between the lines... I think it's PR so both coaching and players can save face. IMO... Fairchild's been told to open it up.

THIS IS EXCELLENT NEWS!! Look for a more agressive gameplan rather than the "running scared" gameplan we've seen the past 2 games.

mybills
09-20-2007, 02:10 PM
I read that article...

2) Reading between the lines... I think it's PR so both coaching and players can save face. IMO... Fairchild's been told to open it up.

THIS IS EXCELLENT NEWS!! Look for a more agressive gameplan rather than the "running scared" gameplan we've seen the past 2 games.
:cheers:

HHURRICANE
09-20-2007, 02:18 PM
I read that article...

Where did you get that? The way I read it was that JP missed passes that would have setup other parts of the gameplan.

The way I see it is that JP better play well or they'll put somebody in that can execute.

billsburgh
09-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Agreed. Screw the rule of thumb. They should have stayed in until they demonstrated consistent execution.
and when there were more injuries in preseason, everyone would be saying why are they playing them so much? dammed if you do, damned if you dont.

Yasgur's Farm
09-20-2007, 06:21 PM
Where did you get that? The way I read it was that JP missed passes that would have setup other parts of the gameplan.

The way I see it is that JP better play well or they'll put somebody in that can execute.That's the saving face part... He was allowed to give an excuse for the "running scared" gameplan.

How would it look if they simply opened it up this Sunday without addressing it? I'll tell you how it'd look... It would look like Fairchild gave into the wishes of JP, Lee, Robert Royal etc.