PDA

View Full Version : OFFSEAONS PREDICTION UPDATE part duece

Tatonka
03-24-2003, 12:12 AM
I TRIMMED IT DOWN SO YOU CAN READ IT!:calm:

ok.. so the only thing i was right about was the price tag and trade..

things actually turned out better than i could have hoped.. i wanted to update this and look at where we need to go now..

as far as the rest of free agency goes... there are NO signings that are absolutely needed.. we could fill any of the following needs via FA, but the draft will serve the same purpose, because we wont have to depend on any of the following to start.. just backups incase of injuries and breathers.

going over every position -

QB - I like AVP, and so do the coaches. he is a good back up and brown is still good 3rd with potential.

RB - everyone seems to think that we need a massive upgrade here.. sammy morris was productive for the 5 games (5 right?) he was the starter before getting injured. he can catch. he can block, and he is a decent runner.. draft someone to compete with Burns.. Musa Smith comes to mind from UG.. ps.. he ran a 4.4 at his workout.

WR - need a speedster.. jenkins would be nice, but looks like he is out of the picture.. although i read that he was looking for 3.5 mill over 2 years now.. and wants a 1.5mill signing bonus.. i dont think that is TOO much to ask.. high? yes.. overboard? not really.. dont ask for a link.. i cant find it. the draft is full of fast wrs... big fast wrs too.. bryant johnson of penn state is my favorite here.. Kareem Kelly from USC would not be a bad pick either.

OL - we need a back up guard and center.. preferably someone to compete wth Teague, although i doubt they will sit him.. the Center from ND would be a nice fit, but is he worth a 1st rounder? na.. other guys i like, Todd Williams (G) from FSU, Jon Stinchcomb (T, but could play G) from UG, Vince Manuwai (G) from hawaii, and Al Johnson (C) from Wisconsin.

TE - we need a pass catcher... i dont care who.. dallas clark and witten will be gone quick.. use a late pick.. remember .. randy mcmichael was a late round pick for miami.. 5th rounder?

FB - crosby will be fine for the power running game.. he is turning into a devastating blocker. we really dont know if he can catch, but dont think there is a big enough emphasis on the fullback to warrant freaking out about little depth here..

defense-

DE - i am under the impression that unless we are cutting either Denny (wont happen yet), Irons (he has performed well when asked to), Jones (not if he is healthy), mckenzie (not if he is healthY) and Schobel (only proven DE) that we DONT have room for a DE draft pick. we go with what we got. if they dont look healthy by minicamp, put the hurt calf down and go grab brackens or someone after june 1st.

DT - if a big name falls early, grab him. pat is under contract for 2 more year, sam is under for 4. pat will resign here most likely, but both are 30 or soon to be. could easily play to chester mcglocklins age at 34-35, but grab a guy to give them a breather, keep bannan, and cut edwards. i like him, but he will never be a stud.

LB - spoon and polk are good depth.. draft someone to compete with denman and whoever else is there currently.

Secondary - wini, clements, thomas are good for 3 cb combo - maybe draft a CB high because we may lose wini.. i just have a feeling he wont be back.. i hope i am wrong. kevin thomas may be ready to step in if we need him if wini leaves, but draft cb for security.. unless they feel good about bostic too.

move PP back to SS behind wire.. reese starts at FS.. i REALLY believe we need to draft a FS within the first 2 rounds.. mathis and hamlin are the best there are in that FS group... i will be disappointed if we dont get either of them. Holt and Battle are less attractive options, and both remind me of Driver.. who needs to be cut btw..

thats all you get.. and thats all you need. :snicker:

:date: :yankee: :squish: :cheers: :spank:

lordofgun
03-24-2003, 09:54 AM
Good stuff. ;)

I think at the very least, we'll franchise or transition Winfield. I think he stays, but they need to get an extension DONE.

lunatic_bills_fan
03-24-2003, 09:57 AM
I agree log, it would be nice to get him under contract and keep those TAGS available, plus its always good to have a player on your team under their own conditions, not tagged

Tatonka
03-24-2003, 11:15 AM
well, i think this draft will be a good indicator on if TD thinks he will be retaining wini...

the writing was on the wall when he drafted reed..

if we take a CB early.. will be the same deal.