Remember when Bills football used to be fun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Remember when Bills football used to be fun?

Remember when we had a chance in every game? Remember when we had reason for hope?

Of course, there were always the Super Bowl days, when "how much will we win by?" was a much more appropriate question that "will we win?".

More recently, there were some short stints, like the first two games of '03, when the team showed some issues but was generally clicking and soundly beat two strong opponents. There was the great run at the end of '04. There was even the opener in '05 when we beat Houston and JP had a decent game for his first start.

Now. I approach the game with trepidation. I have no confidence that we can win, and we play teams like Pitt and NE, I just hope we can keep it close but realistically expect a blowout.

And it's not bad enough that we're losing. Our QB of the future may be a bust. We have a slew of injuries so the bleeding is getting worse. We still have to suffer through NE kicking everyone's ass. And then there's Everett- a situation that transcends football into real life. At least the recent news on that front has been good, but it still always seems to go from bad to worse for Buffalo. We're supposed to be rebuilding, but so far there is more regression than improvement.

We don't even have any players who seem to inject life into the fans and the team. Guys like Bruce, Paup, Spielman, Spikes, Kelly, Talley, Kelso, etc. This may improve slightly when Hargrove gets back, but he doesn't have the talent of any of those other guys.

I want to get excited about this team. I want to find some reason for hope. I see the Skins fans around here getting all excited after their 2-0 start and I seriously envy them- not just for their record but for the way they feel about their team. At the moment, though, I can't find any reason for hope for this team. We have some youth, but no proven vets. We have a mediocre coach and an inexperienced GM. The pieces of our team that we thought were set- like Schobel, Evans and Losman- have yet to perform this season.

I still watch every second of every game- I just can't look forward to them or get excited about them the way I used to, and that's extremely disappointing.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • BlackMetalNinja
    I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
    • May 2005

Re: Remember when Bills football used to be fun?

I've found myself seriously debating whether or not to even go to the bar on Sunday... It might be less painful and certainly cheaper to just stay home.

Comment

• Mad Bomber
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
      Remember when we had a chance in every game? Remember when we had reason for hope?
      Yes, I do.

But as one who has been a Bills fan for WAY longer than you have (since before you were born)...45 years I've also seen years where we didn't stand a chance in just about any game we played.

Unfortunately, that happened more often than not in the scenario you put forth.

However, I still bleed red, white and blue. The Bills are MY team, as long as they stay in Buffalo.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
        • Jul 2002

I feel like I'm turning into Randy Quaid's character in Major League.

Comment

• Mad Bomber
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by billsfanone
          I feel like I'm turning into Randy Quaid's character in Major League.
          Ummmm....I don't believe he was even in that movie...

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mad Bomber
            That fan who is always negative.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

Just go ahead and ask for the money Eddie, lol.

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                • Jul 2002

That fan who is always negative.
                That wasn't the original Major League movie, but I hear where you're coming from.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                  • Jul 2002

That wasn't the original Major League movie, but I hear where you're coming from.
                  Looked it up. It was Major League II.

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                    • Jul 2002

Looked it up. It was Major League II.
                    That movie sucked, but you're right about his character.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

It really hit me during the Denver game because even though we had the lead, I suspected we would blow it and I knew we would blow it when JP missed that pass.

It's not like Brady or Manning. If they were in that situation, fans of their teams just know they'll find a way to ice the game, and fans of other teams just sit there and brace themselves for the knockout blow.

We don't have any players who can inspire confidence like that. Our players just leave us watching close games with our hearts in our throats.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                        Roways rooking ahread!
                        • Sep 2005

It really hit me during the Denver game because even though we had the lead, I suspected we would blow it and I knew we would blow it when JP missed that pass.

It's not like Brady or Manning. If they were in that situation, fans of their teams just know they'll find a way to ice the game, and fans of other teams just sit there and brace themselves for the knockout blow.

We don't have any players who can inspire confidence like that. Our players just leave us watching close games with our hearts in our throats.
                        He comes through w/ that pass & we are all talking SB, now we are talking toilet bowl.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
                          He comes through w/ that pass & we are all talking SB, now we are talking toilet bowl.
                          nah, because we still played like **** that game and we still would have been killed by Pitt. But at least we'd be 1-1 and two of our key players- Losman and Evans- would have made the play to win the game and we'd have a little more reason for hope.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                            Roways rooking ahread!
                            • Sep 2005

nah, because we still played like **** that game and we still would have been killed by Pitt. But at least we'd be 1-1 and two of our key players- Losman and Evans- would have made the play to win the game and we'd have a little more reason for hope.
                            Presence. Confidence. Poise.

What position on a football team most needs all those attributes to succeed?

Comment

• MTBillsFan
                              • May 2003

Winning is mostly mental. Look at Tiger Woods, people are afraid of him and buckle under the pressure. Lefty.
                              Until we restore the mental edge ala those cheatin bastards in NE, we'll probably struggle.
                              The Kelly led teams of the Late 80's and Early 90's had that edge and pretty sweet O and D lines...
                              Send me some wings!

Comment

Working...
                              X