PDA

View Full Version : Bob DiCesare: The day of judgment looms for J.P.

HHURRICANE
09-21-2007, 07:54 AM
The retooled offensive line has provided ample time for him to solve the defensive clutter. He’s still yet to prove, this year or any other, that he can spot and throw the seam pass vital to sustaining drives and keeping defenses off balance. It’s no good to the Bills if Losman can throw the long ball like Daryle Lamonica. The pre-eminent quarterbacks of today operate with surgical efficiency and unflappable poise. They dictate what transpires through the skill of recognition. Only fleetingly has Losman operated with that same sense of conviction. And belief.
Losman must do more than stand up and yell, “Charge!” He has to demonstrate that he’s the one capable of leading the onslaught. He’s a quarterback, after all. It’s part of the job description.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/167435.html

patmoran2006
09-21-2007, 07:58 AM
I agree with this line the most:

"If Losman feels the game plans have been beneath him, are under-utilizing his talents, then it’s on him to put substance to the argument by executing the simplicities. Only after he again demonstrates a knack for reading defenses and delivering passes on target should he expect his laments to be given any credence. Because for now it appears that what’s being asked of him is commensurate with his abilities"

HHURRICANE
09-21-2007, 08:06 AM

"If Losman feels the game plans have been beneath him, are under-utilizing his talents, then it’s on him to put substance to the argument by executing the simplicities. Only after he again demonstrates a knack for reading defenses and delivering passes on target should he expect his laments to be given any credence. Because for now it appears that what’s being asked of him is commensurate with his abilities"

Yep, my favorite as well. It really makes you rethink the "is it Fairchild or JP?" argument.

Mitchy moo
09-21-2007, 08:06 AM
JP needs to stand in there and deliver the ball as asked of him. If he takes afew shots or makes a few mistakes it's ok because we need him to be ready to deliver when asked.

CSFAN
09-21-2007, 08:09 AM
New England is a PERFECT game to let JP loose & see what he can do. We are NOT going to pull the biggest upset of the year w/ what we tried at Pittsburgh (few risks, use JP only when necessary, run on 1st, 2nd & 3rd, etc.)

We really have almost nothing to lose at this point. Draw up a wide open gameplan, w/ JP throwing the ball 35+ times and see how he handles a great defense. If the Bills really are planning on giving him only a few more games (as they probably should), they have to give him a fair tryout...

HHURRICANE
09-21-2007, 08:10 AM
JP needs to stand in there and deliver the ball as asked of him. If he takes afew shots or makes a few mistakes it's ok because we need him to be ready to deliver when asked.

Skoob, I'm going to give you kudos for this post. I watched the Redskins game the other night and watched Cambell stand and deliver knowing he was going to take a massive hit. The kid played with a lot of poise.

The first thing I thought to myself was that JP would have definately struggled on the same play. JP is tough but he has way too much confidence in his legs.

Wraith
09-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Yep, my favorite as well. It really makes you rethink the "is it Fairchild or JP?" argument.

Yes and no. DiCesare seems to be making the assumption that our conservative gameplan automatically equates to "easier" for the quarterback. It may be simpler, but it also seems incredibly predictable and that is not a good thing for a quarterback.

HHURRICANE
09-21-2007, 08:16 AM
Yes and no. DiCesare seems to be making the assumption that our conservative gameplan automatically equates to "easier" for the quarterback. It may be simpler, but it also seems incredibly predictable and that is not a good thing for a quarterback.

I think he's saying that if you make the throws you are supposed than you can ***** about the gameplan.

patmoran2006
09-21-2007, 08:18 AM
our coaching tends to get overly conservative against good teams.
Lets see if they've learned anything.

Earthquake Enyart
09-21-2007, 08:18 AM
I think he's saying that if you make the throws you are supposed than you can ***** about the gameplan.
Exactly.

Wraith
09-21-2007, 08:19 AM

I agree with your summary, and I agree that if the throws Losman is being asked to make truly are easier and he's failing, then he has no room to *****.

What I'm stuck on is the assumption that Losman's throws are easy. The assumption seems to be that conservative equals easy, but we all know that conservative could mean limited receivers down field and no dump off because everyone stayed into block...which isn't exactly condusive to a passing game.

Mahdi
09-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Skoob, I'm going to give you kudos for this post. I watched the Redskins game the other night and watched Cambell stand and deliver knowing he was going to take a massive hit. The kid played with a lot of poise.

The first thing I thought to myself was that JP would have definately struggled on the same play. JP is tough but he has way too much confidence in his legs.
Yer talking about Campbells throw to the sideline to his right with the LB about to him him right? I was thinking the exact same thing to myself when I saw it. I hope the answer is yes.

shelby
09-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Valid point raised here:

Buffalo Bills quarterback J.P. Losman fails to make the list. It’s commendable that Losman is striving to show leadership qualities by preaching the importance of attitude heading into Sunday’s game against the New England Patriots. That’s all well and good — it certainly beats sulking in the corner — but of little impact unless he backs his words with something more substantial than the slop he’s been serving.
If Losman feels the game plans have been beneath him, are under-utilizing his talents, then it’s on him to put substance to the argument by executing the simplicities. Only after he again demonstrates a knack for reading defenses and delivering passes on target should he expect his laments to be given any credence. Because for now it appears that what’s being asked of him is commensurate with his abilities.

:sadwalk:

full story (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/167435.html)

HHURRICANE
09-21-2007, 02:47 PM
I posted the exact same thread 8 hours ago.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=135006

SABURZFAN
09-21-2007, 02:49 PM
:spam:

:snicker:

shelby
09-21-2007, 02:50 PM
My apologies, hurricane.

Earthquake Enyart
09-21-2007, 02:52 PM
:shakeno:

shelby
09-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Hey, i merged the threads.
i'm only human! i am not a machine!

HHURRICANE
09-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Hey, i merged the threads.
i'm only human! i am not a machine!

Wow, I wouldn't have said anything if I knew you were going to get this much crap. See what happens when you are almost perfect?

shelby
09-21-2007, 03:04 PM
:rofl:

Earthquake Enyart
09-21-2007, 03:05 PM
shelby is very tense today.

Mitchy moo
09-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Shelby is defending our freedom!!:cheers:

Earthquake Enyart
09-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Shelby is defending our freedom!!:cheers:
Just the opposite, my friend.

HHURRICANE
09-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Yer talking about Campbells throw to the sideline to his right with the LB about to him him right? I was thinking the exact same thing to myself when I saw it. I hope the answer is yes.

Yep!!!!

churchinski
09-21-2007, 04:28 PM
true

DynaPaul
09-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Great article. Just the fact that we are debating this whole thing is bad news.

Billzz
09-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Problem is Shelby lives in Tampa and has to deal with the stress's of traffic/idiots on a daily basis.

shelby
09-22-2007, 08:06 AM
Just the opposite, my friend.
:rofl:

jaybo_05
09-22-2007, 09:13 AM
I agree with your summary, and I agree that if the throws Losman is being asked to make truly are easier and he's failing, then he has no room to *****.

What I'm stuck on is the assumption that Losman's throws are easy. The assumption seems to be that conservative equals easy, but we all know that conservative could mean limited receivers down field and no dump off because everyone stayed into block...which isn't exactly condusive to a passing game.

I agree and think this is an assumption that DiCesare has overlooked in his argument. While a simple game plan is the easiest to execute on its own (without facing a defense) a more complicated game plan, which Losman was arguing for, could very well make his job easier.

As Wraith mentioned, when a defense has a very good idea of what they're going to see they have a HUGE advantage.

It is beyond me why they haven't opened this offense up even a little. The whole purpose of getting a new offensive line was to allow our offense to do things they simply weren't capable of doing last year. We were handcuffed because we needed TE's and RB's to stay home and block, but that was supposed to change. I expected more spread sets and empty backfields, but the offensive calls have looked oddly similar to early last season.

Granted, the coaching staff might feel that Losman is still learning and unlikely to thrive in a wide open offense just yet. That's fine, I can understand that, but they seem to have gone extreme and robbed him of the most simple offensive tricks.

How many times have you seen us use play action this year? Maybe a couple of times? As I watched Marshawn run over the Steelers defense early in the third quarter last week it seemed so obvious to me that that was the time for some play action, but much to my dismay it was the same old run, run, easy pass.

This is the NFL, it isn't as simple as running and executing basic plays, the game is much more complex and if you're not willing to play that complex game you're going to get beat up by a team that is.

If they do open the offense up they might realize that it does in fact play to Losman's strengths and we'll start to move the ball. On the other hand, if they open it up and we still fall flat then Losman is clearly incapable of playing at this level.

Regardless, at this point the worst reaction they can have is to change nothing, because CLEARLY what they are doing is not working.

Here's to some 4 wide sets, Marshawn spliting out, and some play action this week against NE. :cheers:

djjimkelly
09-22-2007, 09:20 AM

the ****ing game plan is beneath me and i played defense when i played football. we dont throw god damn slant patterns. and believe me they arent called and that as easy as it gets for a qb. its just not part of our play book.