PDA

View Full Version : Gameplan Against Buffalo...It's Simple

raphael120
09-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Here is what teams have done and executed almost to a tee (considering we havent scored a TD through the air or had any kind of production through the air).

To totally get the Bills offense to a grinding halt...take away the deep pass, and double cover Evans...

Well "JP has other recievers in man coverage then if Evans is double covered, that means someone else has to be open somewhere!" You'd think that makes sense, right? Well, it does. But the problem is, when your QB takes a look at Evans, locks onto Evans, sees he isn't open, he freaks out! How many times did JP hold onto the ball too long? How many times was it because-EVANS- not anyone else- was covered. Think about it. You have the safety always sitting back deep to prevent the deep pass, plus you have at least 2 defenders focused in on Lee...that means there HAS to be a mismatch SOMEWHERE! You're telling me, the fastest guy on the field at any given point, Roscoe, is not open somewhere, or going to be breaking away from his defender? Or Lynch is not open in the flat? I can buy that Price is covered because I'm sure he gives up after seeing he's not getting the ball after 2 seconds, or falls down half the time, disrupting the route and making him virtually useless in that play.

The problem with this offense is it relies too much on Evans. And defenses are going to take him out of the game EVERYTIME unless JP can prove to the defense that there is another guy out there that deserves the attention. Thus far, there isn't. JP can't complete passes to guys that are only manned up, even Evans. When you take away the main target, and your QB can't get the ball to anyone else because he wasted too much time waiting for Evans to get open, that is why you have no offense, that's why youre ranked 31rst in the league, sure to be 32nd after this Sunday.

Point blank...gameplanning against the Bills is almost too easy. Honestly. The Steelers even came right out and said it. We pass rush...on EVERY...DOWN. EVERY-SINGLE-DOWN. Whether it's a run or not, our ends pass rush. Yet with all those pass rushes, we have 1 sack to speak of. ONE. Leaving the sideline wide open for a running back, namely Willie Parker, to run up the edge of the field and up the sideline for at least a 8 yard gain. The DE's overpersue, and have since last season. They're always nuetralized, letting the opposing QB have all day to get the ball off. That and when we do create pressure, we don't finish the play and get the sack, we merely grab for jersey and then play tag with the QB, and the QB always gets away.

Our defensive gameplan sucks, our offensive gameplan sucks. Our QB sucks at getting the ball to the open man, reading defenses, and knowing where everyone is on the field, where a spot in coverage is going to be open to throw the ball to the receiver. Now if only Lynch could play QB and RB at the same time, then we will have somethin goin. When players blitz the QB, JP rarely throws the ball to where the blitz is coming, where (if the WR recognizes it) there should be a soft spot in the defense where the blitzer came from, yet this never is executed right.

Keep this in mind for the Pats game. Watch how if Evans is covered, JP won't know what to do. He'll look lost, and he'll panic. Watch on defense our ends will be pass rushing so far wide, they'll be knocked so far outside of the play it's almost humerous. They get pushed almost out of bounds. It's something that happens every game and it looks like it's not going to get fixed.

I'll be keepin track at this game at how much these 2 things actually happen.

TigerJ
09-21-2007, 09:01 AM
There's more to it than that. They are also blitzing a lot, forcing Losman to make quick decisions. Coach Sal's explanation of Steve Fairchild's comments was excellent. Between Losman and the receivers, someone, or more than one someone is not making the hot read adjustments quickly enough to beat the blitz. I think it would also help if Buffalo called more screens.

Bufftp
09-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Price has been great in getting seperation and open! It's all JP.

Mitchy moo
09-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Price has been great in getting seperation and open! It's all JP.

That's the most obvious thing in the world to me, the cat refuses to even look people off. How about a fake pump or a screen, please?

raphael120
09-21-2007, 09:09 AM
There's more to it than that. They are also blitzing a lot, forcing Losman to make quick decisions. Coach Sal's explanation of Steve Fairchild's comments was excellent. Between Losman and the receivers, someone, or more than one someone is not making the hot read adjustments quickly enough to beat the blitz. I think it would also help if Buffalo called more screens.

That's part of it. I think the other part is just JP not being able to read, make the adjustments prior to the snap. And maybe when we see that happen we need a dumpoff man, like you said, screens. And I swear to jeebus that if we call another screen on 3rd and long, I'm going to shoot myself.