PDA

View Full Version : So... You think the D is tired because of the O?

Yasgur's Farm
09-22-2007, 07:46 PM
The Bills O has had the ball 9 times for 54:06 compared to our opponents at 10 times for 65:54.

That number would be a lot closer if the da mn D could get off the field!!

Novacane
09-22-2007, 08:06 PM
The Bills O has had the ball 9 times for 54:06 compared to our opponents at 10 times for 65:54.

You're right. We'd probably have 13 offensive points instead of 10 if the damn D could get off the field and give our offense a chance.

LtBillsFan66
09-22-2007, 08:06 PM
The D doesn't help itself either.

TacklingDummy
09-22-2007, 08:07 PM
It's hard to blame one or the other when they both stink.

Goobylal
09-22-2007, 08:11 PM
It's hard to blame one or the other when they both stink.
Yep. There's no doubt the defense has no one to blame but themselves for failing to get off the field. Now even if the offense were to score every possession, which isn't realistic, they'd STILL be giving-up long drives.

Bottom line is the defense needs to get healthy and better, while the offense needs to get better. Even the ST's have been unimpressive.

LtBillsFan66
09-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Even the ST's have been unimpressive.

Are you nuts?

YardRat
09-22-2007, 08:13 PM
The defense didn't play that badly against Denver. They did suck it up, especially on third downs, against Pittsburgh.

Like it or not, the T2 defense is reliant on an offense that can put enough points on the board to win. If Buffalo's O was performing anywhere near mediocre, we'd be 1-1 right now, have the right to believe that we've got a shot against New England, and probably be looking forward to hitting the bye week at 3-2 instead of 1-4 or 0-5.

Yasgur's Farm
09-22-2007, 08:23 PM
Any way you wanna look at it... Our O is averaging 6 minutes per drive... While we allow our opponents an average of 6.6.

A little getting off the field (over 50% 3rd down conversions) would go a long way toward better field position and getting our O in a rythem.

YardRat
09-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Any way you wanna look at it... Our O is averaging 6 minutes per drive... While we allow our opponents an average of 6.6.

A little getting off the field (over 50% 3rd down conversions) would go a long way toward better field position and getting our O in a rythem.

A few points on the board would help put a little pressure on the other team's offense to try to score points also. It works both ways, but especially with the T2.

Lack of offense is what cost Dungy his job in Tampa.

A more productive offense is why Gruden won a Super Bowl with Tampa the year he replaced Dungy.

A more productive offense is why Dungy finally won a Super Bowl in Indy despite not having the defensive talent that he enjoyed in Tampa.

The T2 defense is why Manning and Harrison finally got their rings...They didn't have to outscore everybody 41-37 because the defense was able to keep the big plays from putting big points on the board.

We've got a serviceable defense, even despite all of the injuries, and they've played up to par for six of the eight quarters played this year. The offense needs to get with the program.

Meathead
09-22-2007, 08:38 PM
looking at the way this team was put together this year there clearly is an emphasis on ball control offense

the d is going to give up yards and long drives all season. however their superior speed becomes an advantage when the field is short and forces a lot of fg attempts

there is also a high emphasis on special teams with several players taking up roster spaces dedicated to that unit. the fact that they didnt even bother to start haggen or stamer shows they want to keep that unit intact as much as they can - and for good reason, they have been dominant are will likely continue to be so

thus it is up to the offense to contribute by helping the field position battle by getting a couple first downs and at the very least letting the kicking teams make the field as long as possible for the opposing o

so far the offense has failed in their modest assignment. not that they are the only ones to point a finger at, but they have been clearly the worst of the three main units and have been the primary factor in defeat

yes the d is basically waving third downs but they still are stopping drives at a fg most times. the o cant even generate enough to offset that, and have not taken advantage of spec teams giving them excellent field position

frankly i thing the o's suckitude is an anomoly and they will get it cranked here very shortly. im not sure the pats are going to play along but certainly theres too much talent on the o side to continue sucking ass out loud as they have beeen

theres still time to come together and make a desperate run for the playoffs. i expect they will be in contention right up to week fiteen at the least

and that s a helluva lot better than the prospect or sucking out loud the whole season

Meathead
09-22-2007, 08:39 PM
lmao we basically said the same exact thing owe me a coke

Goobylal
09-22-2007, 09:49 PM
The T2 is based on not giving-up the big play and forcing turnovers. Sure the offense scoring is a big help. But the defense should be GIVING the offense numerous opportunities. And there's no excuse for the defense giving-up a 3-minute and then a 6 minnute drive in the first quarter against the Broncos (in between Roscoe's punt return for a TD), and a 7-minute possession to open the Steelers game. Not to mention JP attempted just 6 passes in the first half against the Steelers, and they tried to go against the strength of the Steelers' defense by running it.

BTW YardRat, the Colts won a SB because of their defense. Recall that their offense sputtered in the playoff games, and really in the SB with the way the defense played, they didn't need to score a lot on offense, but did. Without the herculean effort from the defense, they don't REACH the SB. And the Bucs won their SB largely based on defense and knowing the Raiders' calls (since Gruden developed them and the Raiders never changed them when he left).

TacklingDummy
09-22-2007, 10:26 PM

I don't understand. Are you saying the offense only had the ball 9 times in 2 games?

Because I count 9 times they had the ball just in the Pittsburgh game and 9 times in Denver game, =18 times the O had the ball. For a total of 51:21. Less than 3 minutes per drive.

PECKERWOOD
09-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Yes, Draz. Our D is suffering greatly because of our O.

OpIv37
09-23-2007, 12:52 AM
Yes, Draz. Our D is suffering greatly because of our O.

I'd say that door swings both ways.

Against Pitt, they got the ball first and proceeded to take over 7 minutes off the clock. The offense then sputtered after a short drive, and then Pitt took over and had another 7+ minute drive.

So, now it's early in the 2nd quarter and the O has touched the ball exactly once. You can blame the O for squandering their ONLY opportunity, but you have to blame the D for not giving them more opportunities.

And keep in mind- both 7 minute drives were the FIRST TWO drives of the game, so the old excuse about the D being tired because the O can't stay on the field doesn't apply. The D was tired because they couldn't get off the field.

Michael82
09-23-2007, 12:57 AM
I'd say that door swings both ways.

Against Pitt, they got the ball first and proceeded to take over 7 minutes off the clock. The offense then sputtered after a short drive, and then Pitt took over and had another 7+ minute drive.

So, now it's early in the 2nd quarter and the O has touched the ball exactly once. You can blame the O for squandering their ONLY opportunity, but you have to blame the D for not giving them more opportunities.

And keep in mind- both 7 minute drives were the FIRST TWO drives of the game, so the old excuse about the D being tired because the O can't stay on the field doesn't apply. The D was tired because they couldn't get off the field.
Excellent post! :bf1:

YardRat
09-23-2007, 01:14 AM
The T2 is based on not giving-up the big play and forcing turnovers. Sure the offense scoring is a big help. But the defense should be GIVING the offense numerous opportunities. And there's no excuse for the defense giving-up a 3-minute and then a 6 minnute drive in the first quarter against the Broncos (in between Roscoe's punt return for a TD), and a 7-minute possession to open the Steelers game. Not to mention JP attempted just 6 passes in the first half against the Steelers, and they tried to go against the strength of the Steelers' defense by running it.

We won the TO battle against the Steelers. The ST gave the offense short fields. Disregarding the last play of the half when the Bills got the ball with just a few seconds left, they only ran 14 plays total and three of the first four drives were three-and-outs.

BTW YardRat, the Colts won a SB because of their defense. Recall that their offense sputtered in the playoff games, and really in the SB with the way the defense played, they didn't need to score a lot on offense, but did. Without the herculean effort from the defense, they don't REACH the SB. And the Bucs won their SB largely based on defense and knowing the Raiders' calls (since Gruden developed them and the Raiders never changed them when he left).

The Colt's offense sputtered, but that's part of my point. The T2 kept the game close, and when the offense got 'on track' they put enough points on the board to win. One offensive TD, or even a couple of field goals, against Denver and we win. The same against the Steelers in the first half, and it's still a game. Hell, it was still a game at 12-0, anyway. As for the TB-Oak SB, Dungy never even got to the big game in his tenure.

SABURZFAN
09-23-2007, 03:01 AM

check my signature and you'll see that you're wrong.

SABURZFAN
09-23-2007, 03:03 AM
Our O is averaging 6 minutes per drive...

:rofl:

i don't think so.

evol4276
09-23-2007, 03:29 AM
our team isn't good. how about that?

Yasgur's Farm
09-23-2007, 08:55 AM
check my signature and you'll see that you're wrong.You're right... The times are right for both games but the # of possessions were only from game 1.

I'm guilty of posting with a heavy vodka influence. :krusty:

Bills 17 possessions, 54:06 total, 3:11 each.

Opponent 19 possessions, 65:54, 3:28 each.

gr8slayer
09-23-2007, 09:02 AM
You're right. We'd probably have 13 offensive points instead of 10 if the damn D could get off the field and give our offense a chance.
Three more points would have meant a win vs. Denver.

TacklingDummy
09-23-2007, 09:36 AM
check my signature and you'll see that you're wrong.

Your sig. is wrong. The Bills had the ball 9 times in both games.

TacklingDummy
09-23-2007, 09:38 AM
You're right... The times are right for both games but the # of possessions were only from game 1.

I'm guilty of posting with a heavy vodka influence. :krusty:

Bills 17 possessions, 54:06 total, 3:11 each.

Wrong also.

Bills 18 possessions, 51:21 total Less than 3 Minutes each.

Yasgur's Farm
09-23-2007, 09:41 AM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/drivechart?game_id=29196&displayPage=tab_drive_chart&season=2007&week=REG1
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/drivechart?game_id=29215&displayPage=tab_drive_chart&season=2007&week=REG2

I'm too hungover to go any further than this.

TacklingDummy
09-23-2007, 09:46 AM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/drivechart?game_id=29196&displayPage=tab_drive_chart&season=2007&week=REG1
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/drivechart?game_id=29215&displayPage=tab_drive_chart&season=2007&week=REG2

I'm too hungover to go any further than this.

Thanks, for proving my point.

Pittsburgh

Bills 9 possessions: 26:48

Denver

Bills 9 possessions: 24:33

Add them together you come up with 18 possessions. For 51:21

18 drives divided by 51:21 is how many minutes per drive?

SABURZFAN
09-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Your sig. is wrong. The Bills had the ball 9 times in both games.

i didn't count the 15 second possession at the half.

gr8slayer
09-23-2007, 07:32 PM
i didn't count the 15 second possession at the half.
Well man you boy Edwards got more than ample playing time today. Let's see the new stats :up:

SABURZFAN
09-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Well man you boy Edwards got more than ample playing time today. Let's see the new stats :up:

he didn't do any better than Losman but i expect that out of a 1st year rookie instead of a 4th year rookie.

gr8slayer
09-23-2007, 07:57 PM
he didn't do any better than Losman but i expect that out of a 1st year rookie instead of a 4th year rookie.
So your not going to make a 3 and out chart for Edwards?

Michael82
09-24-2007, 12:47 AM
So your not going to make a 3 and out chart for Edwards?
Nope, because he is strictly a JP hater. He won't even blame the coaches. Everything is JP Losman's fault. Hell, the War is Iraq is even JP's fault! :ill: