• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

The problem with keeping guys for ST ability

is that with a couple of injuries, you're forced to abandon the base D and play nickel the entire game.

Which might not be a big deal, except that we already had two CB's and a S injured, and this was after losing our best CB to FA in the off-season.

So, even with 3 injuries, our DB situation was STILL better than our LB situation and playing nickel as our base D was the best option.

AAAARRRRGGH! I don't know how anyone can deny that there are wholesale problems with how this organization is managed.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: The problem with keeping guys for ST ability

no thoughts on this?

I really thing we burned ourselves- anyone still think it was a good idea to trade Spikes?
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

I've been saying this for two years now and think it's been ignored. Special teams are a luxury that should never detract from offense and defense like it has on this team. Let's be real, how long are special teams on the field compared to the other two units. People rave about how good our special teams are but it doesn't mean squat in terms of wins and losses when you can't stop the run and put up points!

Comment

• Nighthawk
        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
        is that with a couple of injuries, you're forced to abandon the base D and play nickel the entire game.

Which might not be a big deal, except that we already had two CB's and a S injured, and this was after losing our best CB to FA in the off-season.

So, even with 3 injuries, our DB situation was STILL better than our LB situation and playing nickel as our base D was the best option.

AAAARRRRGGH! I don't know how anyone can deny that there are wholesale problems with how this organization is managed.
        I've been saying this for awhile. It just doesn't make sense to keep so many ST players who can't actually play football when called upon.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Bobby April is a great ST coach, but is it a possibility he has too much influence on the final make-up of the roster?
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• don137
            • Jul 2002

What makes no sense is you keep all these great special teamers but then you don't use your most electrofying return man in Parrish for kick off returns next to McGee when McGee is out injured.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by don137
              What makes no sense is you keep all these great special teamers but then you don't use your most electrofying return man in Parrish for kick off returns next to McGee when McGee is out injured.
              Scobey sucks. I would much rather have Parrish back there.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• gr8slayer
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                No doubt.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                  Scobey blows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Elminster
                    #1 Kelsay Fan
                    • Oct 2006

IMO, it's a good thing to keep some ST aces. Especially Wire, since he's a decent linebacker too, but we have certainly gone overboard in that regard....
                    Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

no thoughts on this?

I really thing we burned ourselves- anyone still think it was a good idea to trade Spikes?
                      yes. He wanted out. So he's gone. It's not like he's lighting the league on fire.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• gr8slayer
                        • Feb 2005

no thoughts on this?

Spikes sucks/sucked. I'm more pissed off about letting Fletcher go.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                          Spikes sucks/sucked. I'm more pissed off about letting Fletcher go.
                          Originally posted by justasportsfan
                          yes. He wanted out. So he's gone. It's not like he's lighting the league on fire.
                          but right now, we don't even have enough bodies to play LB. And we're going to end up signing someone else's reject.

Which would you rather have- a disgruntled, underachieving Spikes or another team's camp fodder? I'll take Spikes.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

but right now, we don't even have enough bodies to play LB. And we're going to end up signing someone else's reject.

Which would you rather have- a disgruntled, underachieving Spikes or another team's camp fodder? I'll take Spikes.
                            Op...I don't disagree with you often but I gotta disagree here.

We all know what Spikes has left which is a shade above nothing. Players tend to not come back anywhere near where they were with his type of injury. Going with what his payscale is, he's nowhere near worth it to be on the field. I know you'll argue that we didn't spend the money we saved by trading him which is a valid point but say Ellison, Haggan, Stamer, Wire, whoever went out and outproduced Spikes by a ton. We'd have issues with a guy who'd clearly not be good enough demanding a pay raise. It's good economic and business sense to dump Spikes in order not to upset the applecart. I hope I got that out the way I meant it and that it made sense.

I'd much rather take a chance on someone's camp fodder or a different LB to bring in and that was before the injuries. I'm still POd that we let Fletcher go, I wouldn't say give him a 5 year deal, we coulda gone 3 year 12 to 16 million and been fine. Played him in the middle and put Poz on the weak side to start the year.

All this being said, bring Al Wilson and Lavar Arrington in for physicals, if either can pass the physical, sign them. Neither should come with a high price tag at this point seeing obviously not too many teams are interested in either of them...and yes I know Wilson already failed a physical this year, but who knows...we gotta try something.

Comment

• SamAdamsFan
                              • Jun 2003

The best part about this defense after all these injuries is that we are almost assured the top draft pick, that is if they actually spend the money to sign him.
                              "'I get to come off the pill (the football) and destroy everything I touch,' Adams said Monday, a day after agreeing to a four-year contract. 'That's what I've got to do, come off the pill, seek and destroy. The last time I checked, I hadn't seen many guys who can do it better. In fact, I haven't seen any.' He has a point." - The Buffalo News

Comment

Working...
                              X