PDA

View Full Version : Trent Edwards...

jamze132
09-24-2007, 08:13 AM
If Trent starts and wins the next two games, and has the offense looking good in the process, I don't see any reason for him to hit the pine when JP is healthy.

If something isn't broken, leave it alone. It's the NFL, there is no time to flip flop back and forth. Simply put, if he plays better than JP has, leave him alone and let him continue, IMO.

HHURRICANE
09-24-2007, 08:15 AM
If Trent starts and wins the next two games, and has the offense looking good in the process, I don't see any reason for him to hit the pine when JP is healthy.

If something isn't broken, leave it alone. It's the NFL, there is no time to flip flop back and forth. Simply put, if he plays better than JP has, leave him alone and let him continue, IMO.

This is very optimistic. You realize that Fairchild is calling the plays?

Michael82
This is very optimistic. You realize that Fairchild is calling the plays?
EXACTLY! :rofl:

hydro
I totally agree! Now if JP was actually lighting the field on fire before he was injured and Trent was doing good i might still want JP back. But the way Losman has played there would be no reason to ruin a good thing. Now lets just hope Trent shows us something!

Elminster
09-24-2007, 08:17 AM
Judging by his play yesterday, that's wishful thinking. He's a 3rd-round pick with zero experience, and he must cope with the worst offensive game plan in the NFL. It ain't happening...

HHURRICANE
09-24-2007, 08:18 AM
I totally agree! Now if JP was actually lighting the field on fire before he was injured and Trent was doing good i might still want JP back. But the way Losman has played there would be no reason to ruin a good thing. Now lets just hope Trent shows us something!

Love the avatar. Levy should have stayed in Chicago. He's going to look like a lucky chump that had Polian "the genius" behind him.

Actually...

Easy E-Lass
09-24-2007, 08:20 AM
God himself would look bad at QB with our playcalling.

Gunzlingr
09-24-2007, 08:21 AM
The Young Dud will not save the season.

TacklingDummy
09-24-2007, 08:22 AM
Judging by his play yesterday, that's wishful thinking. He's a 3rd-round pick with zero experience, and he must cope with the worst offensive game plan in the NFL. It ain't happening...

The only way he is going to get experience is by playing.

Mahdi
09-24-2007, 08:23 AM
If he plays well I dont think anyone will have a problem with him continuing even if JP is healthy.

DraftBoy
09-24-2007, 08:24 AM
aside from him 1 TD drive Edwards left alot to be desired yesterday.

RockStar36
09-24-2007, 08:28 AM
I agree with most of you.

Edwards looked very blah yesterday, besides the one drive. I suppose I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though. First game, on the road, against the best team.

However, I think we can all agree Fairchild sucks. I don't think JP was as much of the problem as some made him out to be.

DraftBoy
09-24-2007, 08:31 AM
I agree with most of you.

Edwards looked very blah yesterday, besides the one drive. I suppose I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though. First game, on the road, against the best team.

However, I think we can all agree Fairchild sucks. I don't think JP was as much of the problem as some made him out to be.

I disagree I think JP was/is still a big part of the problem. Play calling is only a problem to so far, we still lacked execution on even the vanilla plays, thats not all JP but he's certainly not off the hook by any means.

TacklingDummy
09-24-2007, 08:34 AM
Sounds like you people have been effected with WYSism. Take away Edwards best drive and he sucked.

Philagape
09-24-2007, 08:39 AM
This is Edwards' audition. If he can move the offense, give him the reins. I've never believed one can't lose his job because of injury. If JP had any entitlement before this season, his first two games lost it.
However, this team needs a change at OC before it does at QB.

RockStar36
09-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Sounds like you people have been effected with WYSism. Take away Edwards best drive and he sucked.

Sounds like you with every JP argument.

"Take away the games he played well and he sucked."

TacklingDummy
09-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Sounds like you with every JP argument.

"Take away the games he played well and he sucked."

:snicker:

Yep, im glad you found the hypocrisy in it also.

Gunzlingr
09-24-2007, 08:51 AM

Sounds like a TDism. If it would have been JP on that drive you would have said it was all Lynch's doing, but since it isn't it was the QBs drive.

RockStar36
09-24-2007, 08:54 AM
:snicker:

Yep, im glad you found the hypocrisy in it also.

Edwards will get the full week to prepare but honestly I don't think he'll be all that great with this coaching staff calling the plays.

TacklingDummy
09-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Sounds like a TDism. If it would have been JP on that drive you would have said it was all Lynch's doing, but since it isn't it was the QBs drive.

The TD was all Lynch. The drive was mostly Edwards converting on 3rd down.

historypete
09-24-2007, 09:06 AM
I still can't believe people are pounding Edwards. Jesus, this unbelivable. I don't care who are QB is, Edwards or Losman, I just want one of them to show some consistancy.

With that said I don't know how people can start hammering on Edwards and the way he played yesterday. First of all he was thrown into one of the worst situations any rookie can be thrown into. With that said I think he performed pretty well, overall. Especially considering our offensive coordinator, who thinks creativity is shifting two TE's, scraps the whole gameplan to go back to this wonderful crap we call a ball control offense. I gotta stop before I hit a full-fledged rant about this idiot.

Back to Edwards. I don't know what people expect out of him. Do you want 25-30 for 310 yards and 4 TD's. I know his stat line wasn't great, but jesus he wasn't even given any weapons to work with. Again, it goes back to Fairchild. He is out there running his I-formation, H-Back crap when he should just Trent throw the ball from a spread formation.

I just don't get how people can start banging on Edwards. This is the same thing that happened to JP. People for some reason seem willing to toss him (Edwards) on the trash heap. "Get rid of him." "Draft Brohm." Okay, say we draft Brohm, how long do some people around here give him, two weeks maybe three, and if he doesn't show improvement do we start to label him a bust.

Edwards needs time. If he is in to stay then I hope people cut him some slack, because he most likely won't set the world on fire. Especially with the brilliant coaching staff he has who devise these awe-inspiring gameplans.

Saratoga Slim
09-24-2007, 09:53 AM

I agree. A few weeks back there were some posts that I agreed with about how it is so hard to accurately assess JP's performance b/c so many other issues seem to be facing the offense.

Trent's 10-20, 97 yard performance makes me feel a little more confident that JP's probably not as bad as he's looked over the first couple games.

Elminster
09-24-2007, 09:58 AM
I agree. A few weeks back there were some posts that I agreed with about how it is so hard to accurately assess JP's performance b/c so many other issues seem to be facing the offense.

Trent's 10-20, 97 yard performance makes me feel a little more confident that JP's probably not as bad as he's looked over the first couple games.
I think the most telling stat is the one you didn't mention....his 4.9 yards/attempt, which is absolutely pathetic. Losman's wasn't much better the past two weeks, IIRC. That tells me that our QBs are having trouble getting anything except the checkdown, because you simply shouldn't be getting little more than a decent run's worth of yards per pass...

churchinski
09-24-2007, 10:03 AM

Trent's 10-20, 97 yard performance makes me feel a little more confident that JP's probably not as bad as he's looked over the first couple games.well then your skills of obvervation are lacking
to compare the stats of a rookie QB coming in to the 3rd game of the season in relief of the starter ?

all this amounts to is a JP fan trying to rationalize JP's lack of ability.

Losman IS A BUST

MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT

I'll repeat:
LOSMAN IS A BUST

Edwards will be the future QB , no doubt in my mind
He showed several things in this game that demonstrate potential.

churchinski
09-24-2007, 10:04 AM
I think the most telling stat is the one you didn't mention....his 4.9 yards/attempt, which is absolutely pathetic. Losman's wasn't much better the past two weeks, IIRC. That tells me that our QBs are having trouble getting anything except the checkdown, because you simply shouldn't be getting little more than a decent run's worth of yards per pass...In case you weren't aware JP LOSSMAN is in his 4TH YEAR !

LOL

djjimkelly
09-24-2007, 10:05 AM
people are also forgetting one the one good edwards drive he found josh reed so wide open over the middle it was like the pats said ok kid heres one total freebie.

EDWARDS LOOKED LIKE **** but then again its not his fault fairchild is the OC or that DICK is the COACH just like JP wasnt allowed to try and be a qb it will be worse for edwards becuz he cant throw the deep ball.

Saratoga Slim
09-24-2007, 10:15 AM
well then your skills of obvervation are lacking
to compare the stats of a rookie QB coming in to the 3rd game of the season in relieve of the starter ?

Losman IS A BUST

MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT

I'll repeat:
LOSMAN IS A BUST

Edwards will be the future QB , no doubt in my mind
He showed several things in this game that demonstrate potential.

allcaps is an intimidating debate technique. are you yelling? or is it just easier for you to read the letters when they are bigger.

My point was that the offense's problems are far deeper than poor performance at the QB spot, and that we can't really expect either JP or Trent to look good until whatever the hell is wrong gets fixed. I'm concerned about JP too, and you may very well be right that Trent will be the future of the franchise. But at this point, I think we all better be a little careful about calling for either JP or Trent's walking papers.

The last buffalo fan
09-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Crap fans, wrong team.

It is clearly that the first three games, were against three of the best defenses in the league. That our coaches are not game day coaches (like Opi has been telling us), and our pass blocking has a long way to go. Losman was part of our problems, but never was the only one to blame there. I'm 100% a JP fan, but if Edwards can make us a better/winning team, I'm 100% behind and supporting him. That bomb to Evans is still on my mind (the kid has a decent arm), and I can't believe it, why Evans never tried or made a bigger effort to kept that damn ball.

One more thing. Our next two games, are against two average defenses. That's it.

TacklingDummy
09-24-2007, 10:18 AM
well then your skills of obvervation are lacking
to compare the stats of a rookie QB coming in to the 3rd game of the season in relieve of the starter ?

:clap:

I sure would hope a QB with 26 games started under his belt would out perform a QB who hasn't played a down in the NFL.

churchinski
09-24-2007, 10:19 AM
allcaps is an intimidating debate technique. are you yelling? or is it just easier for you to read the letters when they are bigger.

My point was that the offense's problems are far deeper than poor performance at the QB spot, and that we can't really expect either JP or Trent to look good until whatever the hell is wrong gets fixed. I'm concerned about JP too, and you may very well be right that Trent will be the future of the franchise. But at this point, I think we all better be a little careful about calling for either JP or Trent's walking papers.Are you asking me those question because you lack the comprehension to understand my post.

I made it very simple .

Do I need to take it down a few levels more ?

TedMock
09-24-2007, 10:21 AM
One of the big positives I saw with Edwards was the time in which the ball left his hand. He gets rid of the ball quickly. There were a couple of "hold the ball too long" moments - one resulting in a sack, but overall he goes through the progressions pretty well.

Negative is that he had zero zip on the ball which almost resulted in 3 more interceptions. I don't know if he actually has the arm of a 12-year old girl like Holcomb, or if it's just the rookie not completely commanding his throws yet. Remember Tom Brady's first couple of games? That's what he was like. Of course by the 3rd or 4th game he was a legit QB.

Overall, Edwards sucked. If he plays this week we really do have to display patience as he is a rookie. However, we also need smarter decisions and more zip on the ball.

Again, the offensive playcalling was terrible. The defense certainly wasn't stellar, but they were on the field way to long and they got worse as the game went on.

The QB's have to be allowed to audible. This whole "the players have to execute" mentality is disgusting. We had 6 blockers, they had 8 guys in the box. Somebody is blitzing and it's pretty obvious. It's not the o-line's fault and it's not the RB's / TE's fault. Everybody accounted for somebody. We just flat out didn't counter with audibles.

A minute and a half left in the first half and we all but knelt down on the ball. Talk about waving the white flag. Last week Losman commented that we can't just go out and run, run, pass every series. He was 100% right. That's exactly what we did most of the game yesterday. Disgusting. The quitting by the coaching staff is just gross sportsmanship. It's just as bad as playing dirty. Worse, actually. At least dirty players are trying to win.

JP hasn't played well, Edwards didn't look good either. Maybe Fairchild needs to stop coaching scared and let these kids play. Lynch is a bright spot, but eventually people catch on. All the speed we have at WR and none of them can get open - ever? Impossible. Hey, Coach Fairchild, you have to help put them in positions to be able to execute! Otherwise, why even bother having coaches?

churchinski
09-24-2007, 10:22 AM
:clap:

I sure would hope a QB with 26 games started under his belt would out perform a QB who hasn't played a down in the NFL.I agree.
The point we make is obvious.
These are the same Losman fans that insisted he was still a rookie last year.
And now they are comparing Edward's 1st game when he comes in as a backup to Losman's stats as a 4th year QB.

What happened to all the excuses?
Do they only apply to thier darling Losman ?

It really is desperate and pathetic.

MInd boggling to hear these same fools who used those idiotic excuses for Losman all of a sudden compare this QBs 1st game stats on an equal basis to a 4th year QB.

PcA125
09-24-2007, 11:02 AM
I agree.
And now they are comparing Edward's 1st game when he comes in as a backup to Losman's stats as a 4th year QB.

MInd boggling to hear these same fools who used those idiotic excuses for Losman all of a sudden compare this QBs 1st game stats on an equal basis to a 4th year QB.

couldnt have said it better myself. :bf1:

dolphan117
09-24-2007, 11:11 AM
This is very optimistic. You realize that Fairchild is calling the plays?We will send you Mike Mularkey. He is a longtime OC and even comes with Head Coaching Experience!!!!

Mahdi
09-24-2007, 11:16 AM
I think whether anyone wants to admit it or not if Edwards is given the nod as the starter then we are looking at another 2 year QB development process if he struggles early and he will be given the same excuses Losman was, young and inexperienced. And that is what everyone is afraid of, by the time Edwards comes around (if he does struggle early on) guys like Lee Evans will be moving on and suddenly were left looking for players to fill voids again.

churchinski
09-24-2007, 11:25 AM
I think whether anyone wants to admit it or not if Edwards is given the nod as the starter then we are looking at another 2 year QB development process if he struggles early and he will be given the same excuses Losman was, young and inexperienced. And that is what everyone is afraid of, by the time Edwards comes around (if he does struggle early on) guys like Lee Evans will be moving on and suddenly were left looking for players to fill voids again.You have to be aware of the fact that not all QBs progress as slowly as Losman

That crap was put out there by guess who.....Losman groupies.

I can't believe
1. that people buy into that crap
2. that Losman groupies really think they are putting it over as a viable excuse to keep Losman in as the starter

All you need to do is look at QBs like Romo to see how full of crap these Losman groupies who spew this slop are.

Mahdi
09-24-2007, 11:33 AM
You have to be aware of the fact that not all QBs progress as slowly as Losman

That crap was put out there by guess who.....Losman groupies.

I can't believe
1. that people buy into that crap
2. that Losman groupies really think they are putting it over as a viable excuse to keep Losman in as the starter

All you need to do is look at QBs like Romo to see how full of crap these Losman groupies who spew this slop are.
Theres always going to be guys like Romo who come right in and play well and then you have the guys who take longer but eventually play well. Losman is one of those guys but that doesnt mean he's going to struggle the rest of his career. I think Losman would be a better fit in a system that will take advantage of his abilities. I have yet to see a game where Losman is rolling out, using play action consistently, designed runs etc. He's being asked to play like Manning or Bulger or Brady and thats not him. Maybe its Edwards. We'll see I guess.

Inetpub
09-24-2007, 11:35 AM
I agree.

Just wanted to bold that statement. Best statement of the day!

The only other statement better than that is "bring back Rob Johnson!" but I think that came from a Losman fan because thats the only way they can show us that Losman is an actual QB. or so the roster sheet says he is.

LtBillsFan66
09-24-2007, 11:37 AM
I agree.

:bf1:

mchurchfie
09-24-2007, 11:39 AM
I think whether anyone wants to admit it or not if Edwards is given the nod as the starter then we are looking at another 2 year QB development process if he struggles early and he will be given the same excuses Losman was, young and inexperienced. And that is what everyone is afraid of, by the time Edwards comes around (if he does struggle early on) guys like Lee Evans will be moving on and suddenly were left looking for players to fill voids again.
After seeing Edwards first drive, I am already convinced that he is at least up to JP's level. What do we have to lose?? That sack that JP took yesterday was vintage JP. He doesn't have a clue in the pocket.

churchinski
09-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Just wanted to bold that statement. Best statement of the day!

The only other statement better than that is "bring back Rob Johnson!" but I think that came from a Losman fan because thats the only way they can show us that Losman is an actual QB. or so the roster sheet says he is.More bizzarre than that is the fact that these ARE the very same people that were the Rob Johnson fans.

These are people that watch football but have no ability to distinguish good players from busts.

They can turn the TV on like you or I can , but that is where it ends.

churchinski
09-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Theres always going to be guys like Romo who come right in and play well and then you have the guys who take longer but eventually play well. Losman is one of those guys but that doesnt mean he's going to struggle the rest of his career. I think Losman would be a better fit in a system that will take advantage of his abilities. I have yet to see a game where Losman is rolling out, using play action consistently, designed runs etc. He's being asked to play like Manning or Bulger or Brady and thats not him. Maybe its Edwards. We'll see I guess.Listen you said it will take two years or something like that.

I'd like to know where you get that idea from.

Getting a QB as good as Romo isn't the issue.

The first goal is to get one better than Losman , and that isn't saying much.

It definitely won't take years to get a good draft pick to exceed Losman's level of play.

You might get there in 4 or 5 weeks , maybe less.

Mahdi
09-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Listen you said it will take two years or something like that.

I'd like to know where you get that idea from.

Getting a QB as good as Romo isn't the issue.

The first goal is to get one better than Losman , and that isn't saying much.

It definitely won't take years to get a good draft pick to exceed Losman's level of play.

You might get there in 4 or 5 weeks , maybe less.
Im not saying it will take 2 years... if you read the post I said if he struggles early it could take 2 years before a coach would decide that he is not capable. He could also tear it up in the next 4-5 weeks as you said. Im just saying the possibility is there that this could turn into anohter lengthy waiting game.

churchinski
09-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Im not saying it will take 2 years... if you read the post I said if he struggles early it could take 2 years before a coach would decide that he is not capable. He could also tear it up in the next 4-5 weeks as you said. Im just saying the possibility is there that this could turn into anohter lengthy waiting game.Yeah but I'm saying that although that could happen , what is there to lose at this point ?

It is not like you're losing anything from Losman because he has nothing, even after 3+ years he has nothing as a starter.

He is nowhere.

Mahdi
09-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Yeah but I'm saying that although that could happen , what is there to lose at this point ?

It is not like you're losing anything from Losman because he has nothing, even after 3+ years he has nothing as a starter.

He is nowhere.
I have no problem with Edwards starting now that Losman is injured. However for him to keep the job he has to show something. He doesnt have to go out and light the place up but at least show some promise. Otherwise finish the year off with Losman and let him finish what he started. That way we know what we need to do come draft day. Either Booty or Dorsey.

Michael82
09-24-2007, 01:29 PM
I have no problem with Edwards starting now that Losman is injured. However for him to keep the job he has to show something. He doesnt have to go out and light the place up but at least show some promise. Otherwise finish the year off with Losman and let him finish what he started. That way we know what we need to do come draft day. Either Booty or Dorsey.
Excellent post! :bf1:

Inetpub
09-24-2007, 02:04 PM

Why? Why finish the year off with Losman? We know what he can and cant do. Why finish it off with a deadbeat? Its not like he all of the sudden will learn the game from the sidelines. They already tried that. in his rookie year.

Why not see what we have in Trent Edwards now? See if he is comfortable in the pocket. See if we can build a team around him? The thing about TE's is, hes a rookie. let him make rookie mistakes this year and at the end of the year, if he hasnt progressed, then look at another qb.

Saratoga Slim
09-24-2007, 03:26 PM

What's mind-boggling is how you were able to interpret my original post as comparing JP's stats to Trent Edwards'. My point was that Trent went 10-20 for 97 yards, like JP frequently does, and that it looks to me like BOTH (allcaps!) our QBs are going to have a very difficult time for the foreseable future. thus, while our QBs may struggle, you've got to give them some slack due to the havoc around them. I sure didn't compare JP's stats "on an equal basis" to Trent's as a means of weighing the respective merits of the two QBs. Reread it if you need to.

frankly, I'm looking forward to see what Trent can do over the next few weeks.

SquishDaFish
09-24-2007, 03:39 PM
We still have fairchild so it wont matter.

shelby
09-24-2007, 03:46 PM
i don't care who our QB is. i just want to win a :curse:ing game or two.

Saratoga Slim
09-24-2007, 03:55 PM

thatta girl. I'd be happy to see us score twenty points on offense. that'd be a start.

The last buffalo fan
09-24-2007, 05:38 PM

**** with the QB controversy, **** with the coaches, I'm a ****ing buffalo bills die hard fan, let's win some games, let's win them NOW!!!! :gobills:

Elminster
09-24-2007, 05:45 PM
**** with the QB controversy, **** with the coaches, I'm a ****ing buffalo bills die hard fan, let's win some games, let's win them NOW!!!! :gobills:
I'm going to be watching the game next weekend....I don't want to see another Wrecks Grossman performance...:pray:

jamze132
09-25-2007, 01:26 AM
All I hope for at the end of the day is a team that can move the chains and prevent the other team from moving the chains. I am honestly beginning to believe that the coaches we have assembled suck. Obviously we have been completely decimated with injuries but to run such a basic offense is inexcuseable. And I know Jauron has heard the grumbles, but who knows what is being done behind the scenes. Reguardless, it's Jauron's responsibility.

Having said that, I would like to see what Edwards can do with this inept gameplan we seem to run each and every week. Even if Edwards stinks it up, much like JP has so far, we will all know that the coaches are probably the root of the problem and not poorQB play. Obviously, you can't judge a rookie on 2 games but I am fairly confident that we will all know how inept the coaching staff really is.

SABURZFAN
09-25-2007, 02:32 AM
The only way he is going to get experience is by playing.

it's killing the Lickers too.now they're twisting words and jumping to their own conclusions.they're pathetic. :shakeno: