Don't blame coaching or QBs, blame the receivers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Don't blame coaching or QBs, blame the receivers.

With all of the frustration around here let's not forget that TD has most of the blame for the crappy state of affairs. His eagerness to hit homeruns left this team in complete disarray.

Our receiving corps is downright awful. I think Evans is a Pro-bowl receiver in this league. However, the dropoff after him is so bad that why would any team leave Evans alone. Everbody on this site predicted this would happen and now people are shocked that it is coming true?

Parrish is too small people. Watch how bad he is taken out of plays. Reed plays WR like a tight-end so he's not getting open unless he's completely left alone.

Which leaves our #2 guy to discuss. A teams #2 guy is almost as important as the number one guy. After watching Moulds this past weekend I would allow him to spit in my face if it meant him coming back to Buffalo as our #2.

Price is lazy. All the glory none of the guts. He's the same guy that got run out of Atlanta for the same exact kind of play. Nothing has changed, nothing.

Until we get some talent in the receiving corps don't expect much and ask yourself this question. Would Parrish, Reed, or Price make another roster as a receiver?
    Last edited by HHURRICANE; 09-26-2007, 08:34 AM.
  • TacklingDummy
    Unreachable Douche
    • Jul 2002

Re: Don't blame coaching or QBs, blame the receivers.

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
    . Everbody on this site predicted this would happen and now people are shocked that it is coming true?
    Not shocked. JP looked pretty bad without his 1 trick.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
      Not shocked. JP looked pretty bad without his 1 trick.
      In fairness, I watched Brady struggle last year without having the receiving corps he was used to.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
        Unreachable Douche
        • Jul 2002

In fairness, I watched Brady struggle last year without having the receiving corps he was used to.
        Did Brady even have 1 star WR last year? JP had Lee.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

I'm going to post a very unpopular opinion on this subject.

You hit the nail on the head with blame the receivers and it starts with the guy who's allegedly "great." Personally I think Evans is an average receiver who put up big numbers because he was the only guy in this offense. This happens plenty of times in the league. Kevin Johnson for the 99-01 Browns put up similiar numbers to what Evans has done....once Cleveland got receivers who were average, they dumped KJ. Quincy Morgan, Dropcutt, Andre Davis. Ok average doesn't describe that trio. Wack does. Eddie Kennison is a very similiar player to Lee Evans, imo. A good complimentary guy but not someone who is suited to be the number 1.

But in all seriousness, this year is a testament to the fact that he's nothing more than a guy who can run deep. He's been completely eliminated so far this year and has put up numbers that someone with his rep around town should be ashamed of. Teams have learned he's the only viable option in our pass offense so they key on him. After Evans we got nothing, and I mean literally nothing. Price is a chump, Parrish is a gimmick guy, Reed blocks better than he does catching. Obviously, we all know Lee is JPs main target, he locks on to him most of the time...which leads to the obvious answer. Lee simply isn't getting open. Whether that's due to poor route running, running himself out of plays, the other teams corners are just that awesome or laziness, who knows. Good to great WRs can make plays on their own in this league, look at Steve Smith, T.O. in Frisco, Moss without Carter in Minnie, Joe Horn in his day back in N.O., Andre Johnson..etc.

To answer your question...Parrish would make another roster, as a returnman. Price? No chance. Reed? probably not, but there's a chance. Here's another question, on how many other teams would Lee Evans be the number 1? I'm trying to think of a team that would put him as the 1. I can only think of 4. Miami, Minnesota, ATL and KC.

Comment

• Wraith
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
            But in all seriousness, this year is a testament to the fact that he's nothing more than a guy who can run deep.
            71 of Evans' 82 catches last season were thrown 20 yards or less. He has the ability, it's just not being used.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

I think people have been a little too tough on Evans. I watched him play last year and he's not just a fast guy that catches the long ball.

Teams keyed on JP thinking that he couldn't burn them. The second half of last year he found Evans and teams paid for it.

This year, teams realize that JP has some ability to burn them so their coverages aren't all based on loading the line. Instead, their confident that by eliminating Evans, JP can't burn them with anybody else. So far so good.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                • Apr 2003

brady still had 2 pro bowl level TE's we have bag your groceries level TE's on this roster

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

I don't believe that we possess the same running attack or TE play that the Pats have.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

I think people have been a little too tough on Evans. I watched him play last year and he's not just a fast guy that catches the long ball.

Teams keyed on JP thinking that he couldn't burn them. The second half of last year he found Evans and teams paid for it.

This year, teams realize that JP has some ability to burn them so their coverages aren't all based on loading the line. Instead, their confident that by eliminating Evans, JP can't burn them with anybody else. So far so good.
                    or the coverage on him has just tightened up because he's the only viable option in our offense and he doesn't have the skill to compensate for it.

Star WRs in this league after 3 games don't have 5 catches and 27 yards. Period. Hell even mediocre WRs can put up those numbers.

Surprisingly enough, JP isn't the worst starting QB in the NFL...Even Grossman has hit his main target more than 5 times..Berrian has 16 catches for 221 yards. Joey Harrington has hit Roddy White 15 times for 237 yards. Damon Huard has hit Dwayne Bowe 10 times for 135 yards. I could go further to illustrate my point, but I can't think of any other starting QBs as bad as Losman.

On the whole catch argument, Mike Furrey had 98 catches last year....he's the third WR in Det now. Catches don't make you a number 1 receiver.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                      or the coverage on him has just tightened up because he's the only viable option in our offense and he doesn't have the skill to compensate for it.

Star WRs in this league after 3 games don't have 5 catches and 27 yards. Period. Hell even mediocre WRs can put up those numbers.

Surprisingly enough, JP isn't the worst starting QB in the NFL...Even Grossman has hit his main target more than 5 times..Berrian has 16 catches for 221 yards. Joey Harrington has hit Roddy White 15 times for 237 yards. Damon Huard has hit Dwayne Bowe 10 times for 135 yards. I could go further to illustrate my point, but I can't think of any other starting QBs as bad as Losman.

On the whole catch argument, Mike Furrey had 98 catches last year....he's the third WR in Det now. Catches don't make you a number 1 receiver.
                      I'm not sure what your point is here?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

With all of the frustration around here let's not forget that TD has most of the blame for the crappy state of affairs. His eagerness to hit homeruns left this team in complete disarray.

Our receiving corps is downright awful. I think Evans is a Pro-bowl receiver in this league. However, the dropoff after him is so bad that why would any team leave Evans alone. Everbody on this site predicted this would happen and now people are shocked that it is coming true?

Parrish is too small people. Watch how bad he is taken out of plays. Reed plays WR like a tight-end so he's not getting open unless he's completely left alone.

Which leaves our #2 guy to discuss. A teams #2 guy is almost as important as the number one guy. After watching Moulds this past weekend I would allow him to spit in my face if it meant him coming back to Buffalo as our #2.

Price is lazy. All the glory none of the guts. He's the same guy that got run out of Atlanta for the same exact kind of play. Nothing has changed, nothing.

Until we get some talent in the receiving corps don't expect much and ask yourself this question. Would Parrish, Reed, or Price make another roster as a receiver?
                        This is absurd .It's everybody. From the coaches down to the janitor. Sheez.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Philagape
                          WIN NOW
                          • Jul 2002

It was Marv who brought in Price and re-signed Reed. Around the same time, and for the same deal. It was like saying, "We'll go cheap here and start whoever sucks less."
                          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                            Defies all logic
                            • Oct 2006

Parrish would make another team as a WR/PR/KR. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Parrish's true value to this team is as a PR, not a WR. In other words, I can't disagree with your post at all. We have absolutely ZERO big targets to throw to. Do we even have a WR that is over 6ft?

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Philagape
                              It was Marv who brought in Price and re-signed Reed. Around the same time, and for the same deal. It was like saying, "We'll go cheap here and start whoever sucks less."
                              TD drafted Reed and Parrish. Randy Moss wasn't coming to Buffalo so you have to tell me what marquee WR we didn't sign in FA?

In addition we had/have holes everywhere. The O-line had been ignored since Jonas Jennings left.

You can only address so many issues at once. I do believe that the Bills should have addressed the #2 receiver in some way this year but what draft choice were we giving up to get one? What FA did we not sign?

Comment

Working...
                              X