PDA

View Full Version : We should be prepared for getting the #1 pick.

HHURRICANE
09-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Based on how many injuries we already have, and the alarming rate at which we are getting them, I think we have a very good shot at the first overall pick. I'm being dead serious.

Do you realize that Preston and Kirk Chambers are the only backups for the entire O-line?

If DiGorgio, Crowell, or Haggan go down? Than what?

D-line, same thing.

Guys,we are already playing with the backups for the backups and we haven't even played our 4th game yet. With the exception of Hargrove, the guys that are coming back aren't exactly going change things dramatically either.

No it's extremely possible that we will get the number one pick. especially if we lose to the Jets this weekend, because we are not beating Dallas, Ravens, or Bengals coming up.

MikeInRoch
09-26-2007, 09:06 AM
I'd much prefer having 3 or 4. But you could be right.

So what position will we be drafting?

HHURRICANE
09-26-2007, 09:08 AM

The question is who will we be drafting?

djjimkelly
09-26-2007, 09:10 AM
we wont get #1 pick just wont happen 2nd half of the schedule is very light compared to the first 3 weeks of the season. dont get me wrong id love to draft in top 3 but it wont happen we gonna draft like 9th overall

HHURRICANE
09-26-2007, 09:10 AM

Better yet, nothing would be better than the fact that cheap-ass Ralph Wilson will either have to sign the number 1 pick or have to explain why he gave it away.

I think he needs to get exposed for the cheap SOB that he is.

HHURRICANE
09-26-2007, 09:11 AM
we wont get #1 pick just wont happen 2nd half of the schedule is very light compared to the first 3 weeks of the season. dont get me wrong id love to draft in top 3 but it wont happen we gonna draft like 9th overall

9th overall, no way.

OpIv37
09-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Anything higher than #5 should be a TRADE DOWN. This team needs help at so many positions that the more picks, the better. Plus, taking anyone that high results in having to give insane money to a completely unproven player, and a bad pick hoses the team and the cap for years (see Mike Williams). It's too much pressure to pick the right guy.

hydro
09-26-2007, 09:13 AM

That would require at least a 5-6 wins season. You seriously think we can do that at this point? I could definitely see that if we weren't decimated with injurires. But the point we are at now, its just a pipe dream.

HHURRICANE
09-26-2007, 09:13 AM

Jets
Cowboys
Ravens
Jets
Bengals
Dolphins
Pats
Jaguars
Redskins
Dolphins
Browns
Giants
Eagles

Which games are lock wins?

STAMPY
09-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Jets, Phins, Phins, Browns, Giants, Jags

6-10 season

NorthCarBills
09-26-2007, 09:31 AM
I am and will remain a very supportive fan this year, yet this is a very possible situation that I've fully accepted. Your reasons to justify this possibility are on target.

My hope is that if we do land the first pick, we trade it for at least someone else's first, second, and third round picks, and possibly more. We would need to milk that as much as possible.

My fear? We trade the pick, and the player that will most immediately benefit this team in 2008 (e.g. stud DT, WR, CB) slips by. But good grief, we have so many needs this is probably an irrelevant point.

HHURRICANE
09-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Jets, Phins, Phins, Browns, Giants, Jags

6-10 season

Have you watched the Giants or Jags play? The Jags beat Denver, in Denver. The Giants have an offense and a defense.

Browns, Jets, Phins (once). 3 wins.

TacklingDummy
09-26-2007, 09:46 AM
DT
CB
WR
DE
LB
TE
RB
WR

justasportsfan
09-26-2007, 09:54 AM
So what position will we be drafting? safety :couch:

PECKERWOOD
09-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Anything higher than #5 should be a TRADE DOWN. This team needs help at so many positions that the more picks, the better. Plus, taking anyone that high results in having to give insane money to a completely unproven player, and a bad pick hoses the team and the cap for years (see Mike Williams). It's too much pressure to pick the right guy.

Even if a Vince Young or Mario Williams is there? Or even a Calvin Johnson? It all depends who is available, imo. Some players are too good to pass up.

Mahdi
09-26-2007, 09:59 AM
First of all we already have 10 picks in the draft that we can work with elsewhere. Its not often that you get a shot at a top 5 pick, unless the talent is weak up there then you have to get that one impact player that can make all the difference. Vince Young, Mario, Carson, Bush, Roy Williams (WR), Larry Fitz, Kellen Winslow, Manning, Manning, Tomlinson, Vick, Samuels(LT), Peppers etc etc. Of course there are busts but the chance at getting a player like that is too good to pass up and its not often you get it. Plus you pick first again in the second round which is another shot at a great player.

Mahdi
09-26-2007, 10:01 AM
DT
CB
WR
DE
LB
TE
RB
WR
I would put WR ahead of CB. We should be ok with McGee and Youboty. We need a big play-making WR. OR a big-play TE.

PECKERWOOD
09-26-2007, 10:01 AM
First of all we already have 10 picks in the draft that we can work with elsewhere. Its not often that you get a shot at a top 5 pick, unless the talent is weak up there then you have to get that one impact player that can make all the difference. Vince Young, Mario, Carson, Bush, Roy Williams (WR), Larry Fitz, Kellen Winslow, Manning, Manning, Tomlinson, Vick, Samuels(LT), Peppers etc etc. Of course there are busts but the chance at getting a player like that is too good to pass up and its not often you get it. Plus you pick first again in the second round which is another shot at a great player.

:bf1:

My thoughts, exactly.

PECKERWOOD
09-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Dorsey might be an option but also, last I checked, Albert Haynesworth will be a FA next season. It would be interesting if the Bills brought him in.

TacklingDummy
09-26-2007, 10:12 AM
I would put WR ahead of CB. We should be ok with McGee and Youboty. We need a big play-making WR. OR a big-play TE.

That's true. Depending on how Youboty does the rest of the year, the CB position may go down the draft board.

I'd love to draft a game changing DE. But I doubt the Bills will be drafting a DE high since they just gave Schobel and Kelsay a boat load of money.

My revised draft by position.

1st pick: DT
2nd pick: WR
3rd pick: TE
4th pick: LB
5th Pick: CB
6th Pick: DE
7th Pick: LB

PECKERWOOD
09-26-2007, 10:16 AM
BPA

BigDaddyMac
09-26-2007, 10:23 AM
I hope we draft a QB with teh top pick, or at least take a look at michael vick when he's out of jail.

As long as he don't drop the soap he should still be able to play.

mikemac2001
09-26-2007, 10:24 AM
I hope we draft a QB with teh top pick, or at least take a look at michael vick when he's out of jail.

HAaha this guy why do ii get yelled at for bashing gr8 and this guy just comes on with all this spam

:bow: Holy Grail

OpIv37
09-26-2007, 10:42 AM
BPA

Good teams can go BPA. The Bills are not a good team. We have way too many holes to be messing around with BPA.

TacklingDummy
09-26-2007, 11:08 AM
BPA

BPA at a position of need.

As of right now the only positions the Bills don't need is RB, P, and QB (If Trent works out).

Night Train
09-26-2007, 11:11 AM
After DT, C may be priority #2.

STAMPY
09-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Have you watched the Giants or Jags play? The Jags beat Denver, in Denver. The Giants have an offense and a defense.

Browns, Jets, Phins (once). 3 wins.
A DEFENSE? Giants gave up 80 pts first 2 weeks. Almost lost again this week. Skins were on goaline. Jags haven't had much offense.

HHURRICANE
09-26-2007, 11:29 AM
DT, DE, WR, LB.

Philagape
09-26-2007, 11:30 AM

What is it about this board that brings out bad comedians?

Mahdi
09-26-2007, 11:39 AM
After DT, C may be priority #2.
You really think C is more of a priority than WR, TE or CB? Fowler is good. Not great, just good. Pass protects well, and run blocks well. Acutally he pulls very well. So I wouldnt say C is #2.

churchinski
09-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Better yet, nothing would be better than the fact that cheap-ass Ralph Wilson will either have to sign the number 1 pick or have to explain why he gave it away.

I think he needs to get exposed for the cheap SOB that he is.

If Ralph Wilson was cheap you wouldn't have an NFL team in Buffalo

This guy could make an absolute fortune if he moved this team.

He could turn a profit of $100 million + overnight ,that is conservatively speaking, by moving his team.

This team valued at $800 million would be worth significantly more in a city like Toronto.

Through expansions Wilson sat back watching new owners awarded franchises in more profitable markets and foregoing the money he kept this team in Buffalo.

Would you do the same for a city you weren't raised in and don't reside in ?

HHURRICANE
09-26-2007, 12:01 PM
If Ralph Wilson was cheap you wouldn't have an NFL team in Buffalo

This guy could make an absolute fortune if he moved this team.

He could turn a profit of $100 million + overnight ,that is conservatively speaking, by moving his team.

This team valued at $800 million would be worth significantly more in a city like Toronto.

Through expansions Wilson sat back watching new owners awarded franchises in more profitable markets and foregoing the money he kept this team in Buffalo.

Would you do the same for a city you weren't raised in and don't reside in ?

He makes more by not selling.

Ingtar33
09-26-2007, 02:42 PM
1) no dt in this draft is a Harris quality. DTs will take a few years, to "arrive", and i can't name one currently in the league worth a no.1 overall. If we go DT in the draft, in the first round, we can't be drafting in the top 5.

2) there will be two franchise quality QBs in this draft, Colt Brennan, and Brian Brohm, if we end this year with terrible quarterbacking, i can't see us passing on one of them. Any team without a franchise QB who passes on a franchise qb, deserves to pick no.1 year after year.

Mitchy moo
09-26-2007, 03:44 PM
1) Any team without a franchise QB who passes on a franchise qb, deserves to pick no.1 year after year.

Or #2 like Miami's going to be next year in the draft.

Bufftp
09-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Marshawn is gonna have a heck of a day Sunday and we are goig to wi. Besides if we get the first round pick we will only trade it.

churchinski
09-26-2007, 09:15 PM
He makes more by not selling.He doesn't have to sell the team to move it

DraftBoy
09-26-2007, 09:20 PM
1) no dt in this draft is a Harris quality. DTs will take a few years, to "arrive", and i can't name one currently in the league worth a no.1 overall. If we go DT in the draft, in the first round, we can't be drafting in the top 5.

2) there will be two franchise quality QBs in this draft, Colt Brennan, and Brian Brohm, if we end this year with terrible quarterbacking, i can't see us passing on one of them. Any team without a franchise QB who passes on a franchise qb, deserves to pick no.1 year after year.

Really? You dont see Dorsey as a dominant DT? What about Woodson from Kentucky?

Typ0
09-26-2007, 09:25 PM
I thought we'd get the top pick before the injuries...not going to change my tune now.

Typ0
09-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Good teams can go BPA. The Bills are not a good team. We have way too many holes to be messing around with BPA.

teams that don't use this strategy deplete the quality of their roster in the long run. it has nothing to do with being a good team. It has to do with trying to get the most value from your picks because the team that does that is going to build a solid future.

Confused
09-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Limas sweede.

Confused
09-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Limas sweede.

OpIv37
09-26-2007, 09:49 PM
teams that don't use this strategy deplete the quality of their roster in the long run. it has nothing to do with being a good team. It has to do with trying to get the most value from your picks because the team that does that is going to build a solid future.

the flaw in that argument: how do you build a solid future with glaring holes? We can draft all the LB's and CB's we want but they're still gonna look like **** if we can't get production from the DL.

Elminster
09-26-2007, 09:52 PM
I think our first pick should go to picking Dorsey, should we be high enough(and I hate to say we probably will be.) Then we gun for a big WR or receiving TE. We might even want to go those 2-3. Then you concentrate on adding depth. Definitely a center, preferably one we can develop to replace Fowler. He's good, sure...but we should try and shoot for great. If Greer and Youboty keep playing like they are, CB should be no problem, especially since Dorsey would presumably help our pass rush by collapsing the pocket(which isn't happening. our DEs are allowed the outside rush precisely because it gives the QB plenty of time and the pocket remains undented). If we get a pass rush(like a real Tampa-2 is supposed to) the rest will improve by association. Hopefully, Ellison will continue to show he can play once he gets back, because, IMO, we really don't have room for drafting LBs. If Ellison struggles, I'm all for bringing in a veteran guy(though....not TOO veteran, if you get my drift).

Of course, Dorsey will also help the run defense and allow our linebackers to operate without interior linemen in their faces. McCargo looks like he should be starting right now....

Bill Brasky
09-26-2007, 09:59 PM
QB
DL
CB
WR
TE

in that order.

if we have the #1 pick, i see two things happening

1 - trading it away. no way in hell would they pay a #1 pick the money he wants. ralph won't even sign free agents because they cost too much under his bs cash to the cap garbage.
2 - blowing it on a bust with 'character'.

i would say DL/CB at the #1 pick, but I have no faith in Edwards or JP being the type of QB to take us to a Super Bowl. Edwards won a total of 11 games at Stanford.

Ingtar33
09-27-2007, 01:19 AM
Really? You dont see Dorsey as a dominant DT? What about Woodson from Kentucky?

i didn't say he'd not be good. i said he's not harris good.

he'll likely be picked between 4 and 7, i just am saying if we're taking no.1, or i supose even as late as no.3 taking Dorsey will be a waste. Especially since either Brohm or Brennan will still be on the board.

and neither of our QBs are in either of their class.

Ebenezer
09-27-2007, 01:23 AM

he'll likely be picked between 4 and 7, i just am saying if we're taking no.1, or i supose even as late as no.3 taking Dorsey will be a waste. Especially since either Brohm or Brennan will still be on the board.

you think Brennan could go in the top 5? Won't he be hurt by being in the "Hawaii System"?

Ingtar33
09-27-2007, 01:30 AM
find your way to watching him (though this week might be a bad one. he has a high ankle sprain he'll be playing through)

The man is an amazing quarterback.

Ebenezer
09-27-2007, 01:32 AM
find your way to watching him (though this week might be a bad one. he has a high ankle sprain he'll be playing through)

The man is an amazing quarterback.
I have seen him and I like him. I just didn't think he was a top 5 pick.

Ingtar33
09-27-2007, 01:40 AM
he might be, he might not.

I know a lot of people are high on ryan, but i don't see it.

Brohm is hands down the best QB in the draft, my money is on Brennan rounding out as the next best pro in the class.

Night Train
09-27-2007, 05:37 AM
Edwards won a total of 11 games at Stanford.

Brad Johnson won a total of Zero games at Florida St, riding the bench behind Charlie Ward.

I saw him win a SB MVP trophy about 3 years back.

Let's give Edwards a chance before throwing him overboard.

Typ0
09-27-2007, 07:25 AM
the flaw in that argument: how do you build a solid future with glaring holes? We can draft all the LB's and CB's we want but they're still gonna look like **** if we can't get production from the DL.

it is not flawed. You understand but accept you have holes to fill. You take the best players you can get to improve your team the most you can. You do this over time. You aren't just trying to fill all your holes every year. Over time, you have ample opportunities to get good players at the positions you need by drafting the people your scouting department and staff things are the best players to draft. You fill in your weaknesses through free agency.

If you think about it...by taking this strategy you end up with more overall value from your roster. If you start drafting positionally you end up with a watered down roster that doesn't provide as much overall value because you compromised on that value right up front.

OpIv37
09-27-2007, 08:07 AM
it is not flawed. You understand but accept you have holes to fill. You take the best players you can get to improve your team the most you can. You do this over time. You aren't just trying to fill all your holes every year. Over time, you have ample opportunities to get good players at the positions you need by drafting the people your scouting department and staff things are the best players to draft. You fill in your weaknesses through free agency.

If you think about it...by taking this strategy you end up with more overall value from your roster. If you start drafting positionally you end up with a watered down roster that doesn't provide as much overall value because you compromised on that value right up front.

at some point, you have to fill the holes somehow. We're going on our 3rd straight year with a ****ty DL and there is no excuse for that. And with FA, time is a factor. You cant' take the better part of a decade to wait until the BPA's at your pick can actually fill your holes because by that time you have new holes due to players getting old and FA.

Akhippo
09-27-2007, 12:11 PM
You can use BPA, but you also have to filter by position. You take BPA if its a C Johnson or A Peterson. Outright studs. But if you have to choose between the two, I would take Johnson based on need. Same goes for second tier and third tier guys. You see who is the best group and you pick your need from there.

Mahdi
09-27-2007, 01:14 PM

You mean Orien Harris Right! :jam:

Mahdi
09-27-2007, 01:16 PM
he might be, he might not.

I know a lot of people are high on ryan, but i don't see it.

Brohm is hands down the best QB in the draft, my money is on Brennan rounding out as the next best pro in the class.
I actually like John David Booty out of all the QBs. He looks like a Palmer clone.

HHURRICANE
09-27-2007, 01:38 PM
He doesn't have to sell the team to move it

I really hate dumb posts.

Do you know where the Bills rank as far as Operating Income?

13th!!!!!! 13th out of 32 teams.

Why would Ralph move the team? He's making more than enough by leaving the team here in Buffalo.

Typ0
09-27-2007, 05:48 PM
I really hate dumb posts.

Do you know where the Bills rank as far as Operating Income?

13th!!!!!! 13th out of 32 teams.

Why would Ralph move the team? He's making more than enough by leaving the team here in Buffalo.

I just don't understand how a simple concept like opportunity cost is so difficult to understand.

Wally The Barber
09-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Wait till Ralph finds out how much money a #1 overall gets!!!!

If that doesn't give him a heart attack the signing bonus will.

SABURZFAN
09-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Wait till Ralph finds out how much money a #1 overall gets!!!!

If that doesn't give him a heart attack the signing bonus will.

:rofl:

i think the guaranteed money would do him in.

X-Era
09-28-2007, 05:59 AM
Based on how many injuries we already have, and the alarming rate at which we are getting them, I think we have a very good shot at the first overall pick. I'm being dead serious.

Do you realize that Preston and Kirk Chambers are the only backups for the entire O-line?

If DiGorgio, Crowell, or Haggan go down? Than what?

D-line, same thing.

Guys,we are already playing with the backups for the backups and we haven't even played our 4th game yet. With the exception of Hargrove, the guys that are coming back aren't exactly going change things dramatically either.

No it's extremely possible that we will get the number one pick. especially if we lose to the Jets this weekend, because we are not beating Dallas, Ravens, or Bengals coming up.

If we end up getting the number one pick, and Losman is back in a week or so.....

Can you say Brian Brohm? The other guys worthy of that pick are Darren McFadden (dont need him), Steve Slaton (dont need him), or possibly DeSean Jackson (we would only take him if we were still convinced Losman is the answer). I dont see Calais Campbell ending up worthy of the #1 overall.

X-Era
09-28-2007, 06:01 AM
you think Brennan could go in the top 5? Won't he be hurt by being in the "Hawaii System"?

I dont see Brennan making that jump up. You cant get around the conference hes in, especially when Brohm is so damn good.

Typ0
09-28-2007, 09:20 PM

they passed on Cutler after having terrible quarterbacking too. The sad thing if we take a QB is that will be three QBs with first day draft picks we have squandered in five years. Very sad. I thought this team started to suck with the Mike Williams pick and their stubborness to believe he could work out after it was apparent his heart wasn't in it. I have no idea how our scouting dept is still here. I understand these things sometimes don't work out...but it's time for a change if for nothing else than to shake things up. Maybe we have just suffered from bad luck.