PDA

View Full Version : Rochester D & C jumping on the Cowher bandwagon

shelby
09-27-2007, 06:15 AM
If Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson genuinely hopes to see his team win a Super Bowl, he should aggressively pursue Bill Cowher as coach and whatever other titles the former Pittsburgh Steelers coach might demand.
Why should the Cowher Sweepstakes include the Cleveland Browns and New York Giants but exclude the Bills?

Winless and battered, Buffalo appears well on its way to an eighth straight season without making the playoffs. That's difficult to do in this age of parity. The only other NFL teams without a trip to the postseason in the past six seasons are Arizona and Detroit. The 6-year-old Houston Texans haven't been around long enough to join the futility list, but even they appear closer to making the playoffs than Buffalo.
Assuming Cowher wants to return to the NFL next year after sitting out the 2007 season and driving up his price, why shouldn't Wilson be in the bidding for his services? The best available football people aren't cheap. If you really care about upgrading your team, you pursue them and land them. Cowher has a career record of 161-99-1, including 12 playoff victories.
Just because Tom Donahoe was a bust doesn't mean Cowher would be.

The Bills figure to sell out every home game this season. But if this year's team wins only two or three games, there probably will be plenty of empty seats in 2008 unless some major moves upgrade the product on the field.
It is obvious to high-profile Bills observers "Coach" Chuck Dickerson and Fred Smerlas that Cowher could turn around this long-struggling franchise. I agree with them, and many of you probably do, too. But the only one who counts is Ralph Wilson.

I can't think of a move that would lift the spirits and hopes of Bills fans more than Cowher taking over to bring a struggling franchise back to respectability.

full story (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070927/SPORTS0101/709270345/1007/SPORTS)

Night Train
09-27-2007, 06:20 AM
I agree but it would have more credibility if Bob Matthews wasn't the author.

shelby
09-27-2007, 06:26 AM
Don't shoot the messenger...
:brace:

Night Train
09-27-2007, 06:29 AM
Don't molest the messenger...
:brace:

:(

chernobylwraiths
09-27-2007, 06:31 AM
I would love Cowher, Schottenheimer or Parcells as our coach, but not only do I think Ralph wouldn't do this, I don't think they would want the job.

Mentioning "Coach" Dickerson really takes away his credibility.

don137
09-27-2007, 06:54 AM
While I believe Cowher would be great to have as a coach I think Matthews answered why RW will not go after him. He states "The best available football people aren't cheap." Right there is a big reason why. RW does not want to spend the financial resources to win. He also states "If you really care about upgrading your team, you pursue them (the best available football people) and land them." I feel RW cares more about owning a team and making a few million dollars then upgrading the team to be competitive at the expense of breaking even or even losing a few million.
Now this is RW's team and who are we to tell him how to spend his money but let's face it Wilson made hundreds of millions of dollars over the years on owning the Bills would breaking even or losing a couple million at this juncture to field a winning team and bring pride back in western New York a little too much to ask?

YardRat
09-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Pipe dream.

Next...

BlackMetalNinja
09-27-2007, 07:00 AM
A. I don't believe it'll happen at all
B. Even if it did, when the turnaround wasn't immediate, half the people on this board would be calling for his head too.

RedEyE
09-27-2007, 07:01 AM
I like Cowher as well, but I remember a time not too long ago when Pittsburgh fans were calling for his head.

Consistency is the key in this league. Jauron might or might not be the guy to get the Bills back into playoff caliber mode, but one thing is for sure that we can't keep changing schemes and staff every 3 years. Rebuilding, rebuilding, rebuilding...gets you no where in this league and good FAs rarely want to be apart of the growing pain process.

I'm a firm believer that you establish a winning system first then inject the right players into that system. Free agency makes this difficult, but if you have the right people in the FO (GM, scouts etc) then finding the right young players and luring well established veterans becomes an easier process. They trust and believe in the system. They want to be a part of it.

I think Cowher has proven that he can do just that. I don't get the same feeling from Jauron.Perhaps that's based on the past...but then again maybe he just needs the time to solidify his system in Buffalo.

Ickybaluky
09-27-2007, 07:16 AM
I think Cowher would be an excellent choice. However, if he comes in Marv is gone. Cowher is going to want full control, and the ability to bring in his own people.

Shottenheimer makes sense as well. The guy may struggle come playoff time, but he has a track record of winning in the regular season and does a good job getting the most out of his talent.

eyedog
09-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Right. I can see Ralphie dishing out 7 mil a year for 5-6 years.

What's Jauron make ? I know whithout knowing it has to be near the bottom of the coaching payscale for NFL head coaches.
Any wonder we always get the crap bottom of the barrel coaches.

njsue
09-27-2007, 07:27 AM
I like Cowher as well, but I remember a time not too long ago when Pittsburgh fans were calling for his head.

Consistency is the key in this league. Jauron might or might not be the guy to get the Bills back into playoff caliber mode, but one thing is for sure that we can't keep changing schemes and staff every 3 years. Rebuilding, rebuilding, rebuilding...gets you no where in this league and good FAs rarely want to be apart of the growing pain process.

I'm a firm believer that you establish a winning system first then inject the right players into that system. Free agency makes this difficult, but if you have the right people in the FO (GM, scouts etc) then finding the right young players and luring well established veterans becomes an easier process. They trust and believe in the system. They want to be a part of it.

I think Cowher has proven that he can do just that. I don't get the same feeling from Jauron.Perhaps that's based on the past...but then again maybe he just needs the time to solidify his system in Buffalo.

Remember when Pittsburgh's GM was Tom Donahoe!

RedEyE
09-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Remember when Pittsburgh's GM was Tom Donahoe!

I do. And Donahoe was let go becasue of Cowher.

njsue
09-27-2007, 07:30 AM
I do. And Donahoe was let go becasue of Cowher.

I remember one of there battles was regarding QB/WR Slash.

RedEyE
09-27-2007, 07:39 AM
I think Cowher would be an excellent choice. However, if he comes in Marv is gone. Cowher is going to want full control, and the ability to bring in his own people.

I don't disagree with Cowher wanting absolute power, but Marv is a flexible guy. He's not power hungry and is currently running things in an open forum style. Everyone gets their say.

djjimkelly
09-27-2007, 08:09 AM
I don't disagree with Cowher wanting absolute power, but Marv is a flexible guy. He's not power hungry and is currently running things in an open forum style. Everyone gets their say.

maybe thats been marvs mistake

mybills
09-27-2007, 08:18 AM
I don't like Cowher's face. :puke:

patmoran2006
09-27-2007, 08:36 AM
TO have ANY PRAYER of hiring Cowher, we'd have to fire Marv and Cowher would get total control.

justasportsfan
09-27-2007, 10:06 AM
I would love Cowher, Schottenheimer or Parcells as our coach, but not only do I think Ralph wouldn't do this, I don't think they would want the job.

Mentioning "Coach" Dickerson really takes away his credibility.
No to Parcells.

Jan Reimers
09-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Spitman is not coming to Buffalo. He'd cost too much, and he's way too ugly to pace our sidelines.

justasportsfan
09-27-2007, 10:12 AM
I would love for Weiss to be our coach.

Philagape
09-27-2007, 10:12 AM
Fans can dream .....

Jan Reimers
09-27-2007, 10:16 AM
I don't like Cowher's face. :puke:
My wife always wants to punch him in that lantern jaw of his.

Coach Sal
09-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Bill Cowher is enjoying his time in the studio right now.

So much so that he may decide to sit out until 2009.

If he were to come back in 2008 (or sooner), unless an amazing offer was given to him from somewhere else, the only place he'd really consider right now is Carolina.

mybills
09-27-2007, 10:21 AM
My wife always wants to punch him in that lantern jaw of his.
LMAO! I can't even look at him. Time to put Pat Moran on ignore.

RockStar36
09-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Cowher could have total control and Marv could still hold his title.

You guys don't actually think Marv is really the GM, do you?

Stewie
09-27-2007, 10:41 AM
cowher is going to get $10 million a year. there is absolutely no way in hell we are going to get him.

Mitchy moo
09-27-2007, 11:01 AM
cowher is going to get $10 million a year. there is absolutely no way in hell we are going to get him.

Unless RW wins the lottery.