PDA

View Full Version : Pats' tapes are gone, but questions remain

shelby
09-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Forked from: Losman should be suspended (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=2133478)

For some reason, I haven't been able to start new threads. I've been trying to post this for 2 days and for some reason it won't work and is only related to this in how disgusting the Pats are. If it could be forked into a new thread, I'd appreciate it:

Cheatriots get away w/ SB cheating?

Awesome article by Easterbrook on how the NFL is sweeping the cheatriots scandal under the rug...

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Reader Abhijit Kumbare of San Jose, Calif., writes, "It is very fishy that the NFL immediately destroyed all the evidence submitted by the Patriots." Steve Libenson of New York writes, "Consider what the press reaction would have been if David Stern had collected all the evidence about the ref altering games, then immediately destroyed that evidence without saying what it showed, and did so four days after going on national television and promising to get to the bottom of things."
Fishy, indeed. On Sunday, Sept. 16, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell went on national TV and promised he would get to the bottom of the Patriots' sign-stealing. Four days later, the NFL announced all videotapes and other spying materials compiled by the Patriots had been obtained by the league and destroyed. Goodell, who until then had been very upfront in addressing the Beli-Cheat scandal, didn't go back on television to say what the tapes contained; the commissioner has been in radio silence about the Patriots since the files arrived at the NFL's Park Avenue headquarters. The league acted in a hurry to dispose of damning documents, but has not revealed what was in the tapes and notes, nor said why there was a rush to get rid of them.
The lack of answers leaves several questions hanging out there. Chief among them: Is it possible the Patriots' tapes showed some evidence of New England cheating in a Super Bowl?
This weekend, in an e-mail exchange with NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, I asked twice whether the Patriots' documents contained evidence of cheating in the Super Bowl, and Aiello twice declined to either confirm or deny the existence of such evidence. The first time, he changed the subject with a detailed response about the original penalty; and the second time, after I protested he hadn't answered my questions, he replied, "I did answer your questions to the extent I'm going to answer them."
As a matter of logic, refusing to deny something is not the same as admitting it. But if the Patriots' tapes and documents contained no indication of cheating in the Super Bowl, it would be strongly in the NFL's interest to publicize this. Instead, the New England documents were shredded within roughly 48 hours of the NFL receiving them -- see timeline below. The rapid shredding occurred although Goodell said nothing about plans to destroy the materials when he was on national TV vowing his purpose was "maintaining the integrity of the NFL." </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

See the entire article here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/070925

To me this is evidence that there was foul play in the winning of those SBs!

Michael82
09-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Good thread topic, Jeff! I was actually wondering myself why the NFL destroyed all the tapes and why they never explained what was on them. If they did contain Super Bowl info, that definitely explains why they won't tell us. It would make this a bigger scandal than before and people would definitely be clamoring for the Patriots to get disciplined and maybe even lose their titles or at least be banned from the playoffs from a couple years. By destroying them, they won't fall into the hands of the media and Goodell effectively buries the whole thing before it gets any uglier. :ill:

Jeff1220
09-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks Shelby. Until I read this article, I wasn't even aware that RG got his hands on the tapes, nor did I know they were destroyed. I don't think it's a coincidence that a guy like Easterbrook is the one at espn to bring this out and not on of ESPN's marquee writers (who have a lot more to lose if they upset the NFL).

Michael82
09-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks Shelby. Until I read this article, I wasn't even aware that RG got his hands on the tapes, nor did I know they were destroyed. I don't think it's a coincidence that a guy like Easterbrook is the one at espn to bring this out and not on of ESPN's marquee writers (who have a lot more to lose if they upset the NFL).
Good point. The NFL probably warned the rest of ESPN ahead of time. :ill:

PECKERWOOD
09-27-2007, 04:05 PM
What happened, happened. It's all over now. The Patriots won and we still suck, let's move on. I'm sure the last thing Goodell wants is a conspiracy.