PDA

View Full Version : OK this is the stupidist thing I've ever heard of electric hockey skates LOL!

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Wayne Gretzky heated up hockey during his Hall of Fame NHL career. Now, he’s heating up the ice.
Gretzky is plugging a new, battery-warmed skate blade that melts ice to give its wearer — so the endorsements contend — more speed with less work and overall, a better hockey experience.

Hey, is it too late for the Leafs to place an order?

The Thermablade inventor, Calgarian Tory Weber, says the steamy steel is not a novelty item, like Cooperalls, nasal strips or pyramid power. The 43-year-old, who spent more than $5 million over five years to bring his idea to market, believes the “fairly simple physics” behind the electronic blade will revolutionize hockey for competitive players.

“I had a basic understanding that if you put something hot on ice, it’s going to melt and be slippery,’’ said the former steam engineer at the Banff Springs Hotel.

“It’s not super technical. We heat the blade and it creates a thin film of water between the skate blade and the ice and gives the user substantial performance benefits.”

Weber contacted Gretzky and delivered a prototype to him at the 2004 NHL all-star game in Minnesota. Number 99 tried them, was impressed and agreed to endorse the product.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/260714

“I had a basic understanding that if you put something hot on ice, it’s going to melt and be slippery,’’
Well :duh: that's what happens when hot meets cold it melts! idiots :laughing: I can see it now players have all their gear on and have their skates plugged into a plug outlet :roflmao:

THATHURMANATOR
09-28-2007, 12:37 AM
It seems like a good idea.

SkateZilla
09-28-2007, 07:47 AM
errm, didnt someone try this before?

mchurchfie
09-28-2007, 07:56 AM
The NHL will make it illegal unless they can make some money from it.

RockStar36
09-28-2007, 09:31 AM
So what would the effect on the ice be after a 20 minute period of all the players wearing heated skates?

JD
09-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Yeah exactly.. 10 players skating around at a constant with heated blades. They'll be swimming before intermission.

JD
09-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Also.. how are they going to stop themselves in the corners when they're going 10,000 miles per hour?? If this goes through I'm going to laugh and send hate mail to Gretzkys house everytime another player tears his groin or bounces his head off the boards because he slips. What a ******ed idea!

:lmao:

RockStar36
09-28-2007, 10:16 AM
After the 1st intermission the players will be getting around like this

http://www.lakelaurie.com/images/lake1-05.jpg

JD
09-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Roy will have an excuse to dive.. :roflmao: