PDA

View Full Version : Pulling out all the stops

Throne Logic
09-28-2007, 12:22 AM
I'm really quite sick and tired of all this coach speak regarding the need to dumb down our game plans. For starters, I really don't see how much more vanilla they can be.

It's pretty obvious that this has the potential to be an extremely long and demoralizing season in which every talking head across America will be chuckling at the mere mention of the Bills. If we're already a laughing stock, why not at least have some fun?

I suggest that we randomly pull stunts that might actually catch teams staring dumbly across the field. Not intentially designed to loose, mind you, but nothing I would consider doing if we were actually a good team.

For example, when the offense finds themselves in the next 3rd and forever, consider punting on 3rd down. Gives more of a positive feeling when you are the one delivering the joke instead of being the joke after launching an interception or fumbling on a sack.

Seriously though, here are a few things I'd love to see to make things a bit more enjoyable for players and fans alike. Even if they don't work, at least it'll be more fun.

Right off the bat, they should just do away with the huddle. We've actually had some limited success with this. JP is better from the Shotgun. It screws up defensive rotations and adjustments. Besides, it's more fun to watch. It's not like we're controlling the clock with the current philosophy.

Our third string QB is apparently our 4th string RB. Why not put him in a couple times and use the half-back option? If nothing else, it will make defenses think just a little bit instead of beating us down while running on autopilot.

How about this one. Our Left Tackle has some pretty damned soft hands. Why not use the Tackle Eligable play on occasion? I would just love to see a screen pass to the LT.

Do some flee flickers here and there. Everyone expects us to run up the middle at least once between first and second down. Let's use that to our advantage.

Hell, why don't we do something really crazy and run a simple screen pass to Lynch. That would really have the Jet's scratching their heads this Sunday.

Perhaps and on-sides kick at some random spot during the game (assuming we score of course).

Fake punts might be nice. Heck, let April design up any damned thing he can think of. His unit is the only one that has had any real success in the past couple years. Live or die by the Special Teams.

There is always that super sneaky play action pass. Technically, you need a running game to have success with it. However, defenses are so keyed in to us running on first and second down that they just might bite. Even if they don't, what exactly have we lost in trying?

At some point in the 4th quarter, when down by say 30 some-odd points to the Pats, we should line up all our DB's on the line and have the DL out in the secondary. Or, better yet, have the offense play defense and vice verca.

Oh, this is a good one! When the opposing team's offense drops back to pass, we should send our defensive linemen into the backfield to tackle him before he can actually throw the ball! Man, that would be a hoot, wouldn't it?

Just for ha ha's, line up our QB in the slot with a completely empty backfield. Have him go into motion to move over, set, and take the snap. No real reason - just for fun.

Draw straws from all non-starting offensive personnel to see who will play in the #2 WR spot for a while. What harm could it do? Whomever wins couldn't possibly be any more invisible than Peerless. I almost forgot he was even on the team. I'm quietly giving Evans the benefit of the doubt for another week - then it's straws for his spot, too.

I haven't seen the fumbleroosky for some time . . .

If the offense finds itself in a 4th and long situation on the opponent's 45-ish yard line, we should have the QB take off and run in the opposite direction after the snap and kneel around the 20 yard line, or so. This will give Moorman plenty of room to keep up his average on the quest for that vaunted 40 yards net punting average.

Well, you guys get the general idea.

After all, this is a game. They might as well have some fun. Who knows, they might even baffle their way into a victory or two.

:couch:

- TL

Oaf
09-28-2007, 12:48 AM
I'm down. That would be a hell of a time. It'd be a good timewaster till we field a decent team.

shelby
09-28-2007, 04:11 AM
i would submit that the punt fake would be a great option.

i don't think TE is ready to go no huddle yet....but i like your ideas.

Night Train
09-28-2007, 04:29 AM
This beats Jaurons' idea, which is to honor Canada by punting on 3rd down.

HendersonD06
09-28-2007, 06:37 AM
I love the Pennington-Coles, Pennington/Cotchery play-action pass... That is a MUST for all teams... The play action pass, a reverse here and there, and I love when I see the Jets use Brad Smith as the QB... But to many trick plays in a game can get players hurt.

Turf
09-28-2007, 07:28 AM
It amazes me how this coaching staff plays scares and conservative, and plots a timid game plan all game long, then at the end of a game they suddenly get real bold at the wrong time and make a real stupid aggressive call. Like scared school girls they save up the bravity for one dumb call that makes them feel normal and not outclassed.
This is possibly the worst team dating back to the Kay Stevenson era I've ever seen, coaching included with Bobby April being the only exception.
Blame Ralph, it's all his fault.

mchurchfie
09-28-2007, 07:51 AM
France never surrendered as quick as this coaching staff has.:ill:

mybills
09-28-2007, 08:04 AM
Good post, Throne! :up:

I disagree that we're the laughing stock...only turds would laugh at our injured team. :cynic: Turds don't count. :down:

unpaid_bills
09-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Agree. The thng is like you say why not try something different? What they are doing is not working - at least make an effort to establish this teams identity. To me its not that hard but the coaches obviously have some different line of thinking. Heck if I can coach my sons 8-9 year old team and actually make plays work I would think a group of so called professionals should be able to put in something that works some of time. I think they should do these -- keep it simple

1 - RB screen to Lynch they need to see what this OL can do in the open field run it to the left with Peters/Dockery they are the best and biggest we have lets see what they can do.

2-TE Royal can catch he simply does not get enough touches we need to get the TE involved down the field -- whoever is in there. If Kyle Brady from NE can catch a pass you cant tell me the guys we have arent any better. Also love the idea of Peters at TE. He played there in college and scored some TD's there in the past.

3 - Double reverse or end around ot Evans-Parrish or Price. There strength is speed we must get them the ball in the open field.

4 - Slant to a WR. I think Reed is our best 'hands' receiver he can work the middle with Price let Roscoe and Lee use their speed to stretch the field.

I know this sounds awfully simple but these are basic plays that other teams have used for years with with success. My personal opinion is the coaches are afraid or have egos to big to try other plays. Fans are always going to second guess the playcalling especially when they are struggling - but they need to switch it up and at least give these guys and opportunity suceed.

Thats my $0.02 for what its worth - i am optomistic but deep down really do not expect much different this week they will run the ball and stay very conservative with Edwards.

RockStar36
09-28-2007, 09:44 AM
There is no way for the team do go down in style when the coaches are coaching not to lose. As if it were even possible, they are going to scale down the offense even more than it has been in the first three weeks.

raphael120
09-28-2007, 09:49 AM
LOL

We can't even execute a screen well let alone any of the crap everyone listed here.

If they had a playcall that involved counting to ten, I think half our offense would **** that up too.

Throne Logic
09-28-2007, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE=raphael120]LOL

We can't even execute a screen well let alone any of the crap everyone listed here.

If they had a playcall that involved counting to ten, I think half our offense would **** that up too.[/QUOTE

There is always punting on first down. . .

Throne Logic
09-28-2007, 10:01 AM
. . . 3 - Double reverse or end around ot Evans-Parrish or Price. There strength is speed we must get them the ball in the open field. . .

They've tried this a couple times. Can't seem to execute it fast enough. Granted, they tried it against a couple of the quickest D's in the NFL. I agree, though. Try it again.

How about a reverse flee flicker . . . now that would shut up those Conservative Dicky naysayers, eh?

Dont drink the water
09-28-2007, 06:17 PM
It's pretty obvious that this has the potential to be an extremely long and demoralizing season in which every talking head across America will be chuckling at the mere mention of the Bills. If we're already a laughing stock, why not at least have some fun?

- TL

The purpose of losing seasons is to spend time learning to overcome problems not just play stunts for fun which do not help development of players. Let front office worry about "entertainment" and ticket sales.

Throne Logic
09-29-2007, 10:27 AM
The purpose of losing seasons is to spend time learning to overcome problems not just play stunts for fun which do not help development of players. Let front office worry about "entertainment" and ticket sales.

I respectfully disagree. A completely underrated part of player development is the mental side. If our young rookies come in and experience tedious loss after tedious loss, how do you think their moral and confidence level is going to be going into the long off-season?

Now, I'm sure you picked up on the random "example" or two where I was being completely sarcastic. I really don't ever want to see offense and defensive swapping, just in case it came out as anything short of sarcastic.

I did not say make a complete farce out of games. Even when running the "stunts", players still need to execute and be where they are supposed to be. There is plenty of time in the game to work on the fundamental plays. Which brings up another point. How much development are rookies going to get going three-and-out every single time the step onto the field? The coaches don't even play Lynch on 3rd down.

My point is, if they spice things up a bit, at least the players (and fans) might have some fun. It is extremely clear to the entire football world that everyone with anything to do with the Buffalo Bills has looked pretty damned miserable, if not defeated, after every game they've played this year. The wild plays tend to add some excitement to both players and fans, much like the long ball (which they currently can't seem to work into their gameplans unless it's 3rd and 5, with the lead, at the end of a tight game and the smart thing to do would be running down the clock - ack). If done constructively, these plays can be productive as well as morale building.

Scumbag College
09-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Three words for tomorrow's game:

Brad Butler fumblerooski.