PDA

View Full Version : Whitner has to start doing something.

patmoran2006
09-28-2007, 10:15 AM
Talk about your <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">London</st1:place></st1:City> Fletcher-esque stats.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Donte Whitner has 28 tackles through three games. So what.<o:p></o:p>
Zero sacks. Zero interceptions. Zero tackles behind the line. Zero big pass break ups.<o:p></o:p>
This guy has to start making some big plays. So far, he looks like a very average safety in this league. With the exception of a few hard hits (more than 5 yards off the line mind you) I’ve yet to see him do anything game-impacting. <o:p></o:p>
This guy is the 8<SUP>th</SUP> overall pick in the draft; play like it. He was picked to be this team’s version of Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu or Bob Sanders. . He has to start doing SOMETHING that helps this defense get off the field.<o:p></o:p>

RockStar36
09-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Put his back-up in. He would obviously be better.

gr8slayer
09-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Put his back-up in. He would obviously be better.
:snicker2:

patmoran2006
09-28-2007, 10:19 AM
He's the 8th pick of the f'n draft and Levy thought enough of him to pass up Cutler or Ngata, who makes Balt's front four diesel right now.

You dont think its too much to ask for Whitner to start making some plays that actually matter?

RockStar36
09-28-2007, 10:20 AM
We've seen what he can offer. Time to move on.

patmoran2006
09-28-2007, 10:24 AM
now you're just being stupid... and whatever to avoid the factual subject matter

RockStar36
09-28-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm using your QB logic junior.

raphael120
09-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Pat has a point.

Thus far, McCargo, who missed most of last season, is making more impactful plays than Mr. 8th Pick. It is time to step up, it's time to play like it, it's not time to fall into the mediocrity that is the rest of our defense. If someone needs to step up in the backfield, it's him. He's the only first rounder back there. And if he doesnt start playing like it, I dont blame him, but I blame Marv for picking the second best safety in the draft so ****ing high.

Jan Reimers
09-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Jesus, I'm sick of these negative threads about everyone and everybody. The negativity here is absurd.

I'm getting off for a while, just to get my blood pressure down.

patmoran2006
09-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Say what you want.

The guy was the 8th overall pick in the draft, and its about time he started doing SOMETHING to make the defense any better.

He should start to become a difference-maker at this point.

raphael120
09-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Jesus, I'm sick of these negative threads about everyone and everybody. The negativity here is absurd.

Oh sorry, I'll go start a thread called "YIPPEEE!! We're 0-3, last in defense and offense, LETS BUY PARTY HATS!"

patmoran2006
09-28-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm using your QB logic junior.
Our backup QB is better than our "starter"

WHo's going to take Whitner's spot? George Wilson?

Turn it personal all you want. It's time to start EXPECTING some big plays from Whitner.

patmoran2006
09-28-2007, 10:39 AM

you have to think long and hard to find much positive about this team right now.

gr8slayer
09-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Our backup QB is better than our "starter"

WHo's going to take Whitner's spot? George Wilson?

Turn it personal all you want. It's time to start EXPECTING some big plays from Whitner.
You base this on what? One freaking game? Wow........

patmoran2006
09-28-2007, 10:41 AM
No, I base it on the 27 games Losman has started. But anyhow, Dont turn this into the 10,000th QB thread of the week. QB play is FAR from the only problem on this team.

This thread is about Donte Whitner. What is he doing to justify being the 8th overall pick? He looks just another starting safety to me thus far.

gr8slayer
09-28-2007, 10:43 AM
No, I base it on the 27 games Losman has started. But anyhow, Dont turn this into the 10,000th QB thread of the week. QB play is FAR from the only problem on this team.

This thread is about Donte Whitner. What is he doing to justify being the 8th overall pick? He looks just another starting safety to me thus far.
It's his second freaking year. All rookies, no matter the position deserve three years to show what they're worth. Instant gratification doesn't isn't always the norm.

patmoran2006
09-28-2007, 10:46 AM
I dont think he should be as good as Bob Sanders.

But I think after 19 starts he should be doing SOMETHING to show he's an impact player. If Donte Whitner's father came on this site right now, he'd have to admit himself that Whitner has been very average.

I want to see him pick a pass off, or knock someone's head off on the line.. Something, ANYTHING

TedMock
09-28-2007, 10:47 AM
What more could Whitner do? He's saved our defense from allowing several more points. He's been left out to dry by zero pass rush up front and constant pass completions underneath. I think he's done all he could do at this point. He's not going to get a ton of sack or picks to begin with because he's strong safety, but he's certainly hampered by circumstance and is still coming up and saving our defense even more embarrassment. If anything, I'd be pi$$ed if I were him. Fletcher is an inside linebacker. He's supposed to step up and make plays at the line. When your safety is making all these tackles, there is something else fundamentally wrong with the defense and it's not the safety.

gr8slayer
09-28-2007, 10:47 AM
I dont think he should be as good as Bob Sanders.

But I think after 19 starts he should be doing SOMETHING to show he's an impact player. If Donte Whitner's father came on this site right now, he'd have to admit himself that Whitner has been very average.

I want to see him pick a pass off, or knock someone's head off on the line.. Something, ANYTHING
And I want a new owner.

Mahdi
09-28-2007, 10:48 AM

How good do you think Ed Reed would be if the QBs he faced had all day to throw? It starts up front. Ed Reed is sitting back there while his front 7 wreak havoc on opposing QBs and he reaps the benefits, same with Polamalu and same with Bob Sanders. Whitner cant cover forever and BTW he has had tackles for loss. Whitner is one of the only consistent players on D.

Coach Sal
09-28-2007, 10:49 AM
At this point, it's hard to argue that Ngata wasn't the better choice for us. Of course, if we had taken him, we would've still had another hole to fill in the middle of the defense (SS).

I thought Whitner played well the first week against Denver. But after all these injuries to the guys around him, he hasn't been as effective.

patmoran2006
09-28-2007, 10:52 AM
And I want a new owner.
You are preaching to the choir my man. Dont you remember my "Is it wrong to hope our owner passes away" blog from early this past spring? and that was BEFORE his press conferences about not selling the team.

Dr. Lecter
09-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Whitner average??????????

C'mon Pat. You are smarter than that. 1st off, it is not easy to get interceptions when there is little or no pass rush or when the QB is not throwing the ball to the guy you are covering (If you are a QB are you throwing to the guy Leonard is covering or the guy Whitner is covering?) . 2nd, he has been a monster this year. An absolute monster. The comparison to Ed Reed is asinine, unless he has the same talent around him.

Ints are not the only mark of a safety, unless you consider Leonard a better player than Whitner.

bigbub2352
09-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Whitner is being keyed on by the other teams Defense Scheme not to throw the ball near him, he cant blitz cause out Dline sucks so bad, he is making playing on RBs that go thru our depleted LBs and even though he has no interceptions, 28 tackles in 3 games for a S is pretty damn good, You also have to remember who is playing next to him and how limited he is, there is a reason Leonard has 2 INTs they are throwing at him and his side all game long, that should tell u something, I am glad we got Whitner at 8, i thought at the time it was a little early, but still he has proven his worth
and it is one less ****ing whole we have to fill
Whitner once given some talent around him will be outstanding in this league
mark it down!

LtBillsFan66
09-28-2007, 11:58 AM
I think our scheme sucks. It has for years.

Pinkerton Security
09-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Is it really expected for our safety to be piling up tackles for loss. Im noit saying hes lighting the world on fire but as far as I am concerned he is doing an OK job.

schubbard
09-28-2007, 12:36 PM
How often do you see Whitner's guy catch the ball? That's an indicator that he's playing really well. He seems invisible because the camera is rarely on the secondary unless the ball goes there, and the ball doesn't get thrown near the safety who is doing a great job... He's not going to get any picks if they never throw the ball near him...

Jan Reimers
09-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Oh sorry, I'll go start a thread called "YIPPEEE!! We're 0-3, last in defense and offense, LETS BUY PARTY HATS!"
Cripes, I'm not happy, either. I've said it before, I'm probably one of the worst losers on this board.

But despite our crappy record, there are things to be optimistic about.

I just wish certain posters could find one of them once in a while.

Jan Reimers
09-28-2007, 04:15 PM
All the pissing and moaning just makes a bad situation worse.

Philagape
09-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Jesus, I'm sick of these negative threads

Will someone please explain to me why people who complain about negative threads open them up and read them when the title is clear?

And I'm sick of the Bills sucking. That's the bigger problem.

Typ0
09-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Whitner is the least of our worries. The guys back there are done before they even get started when the DL is horrible and there is no pass rush. Put it to rest.

PECKERWOOD
09-28-2007, 09:17 PM
Whitner is a stud, he will be fine, I'm sure of it.

Luisito23
09-28-2007, 10:08 PM
And I want a new owner.

Maybe Jerry Jones will buy the Bills......Then you'll have two teams....:usa:.....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!

YardRat
09-28-2007, 10:21 PM
I feel bad for Whitner...he's playing next to a bunch of guys he's not even on a first-name basis with yet. "Make up your damn mind...Is it Leon, or Joe?"

Elminster
09-28-2007, 10:35 PM
I feel bad for Whitner...he's playing next to a bunch of guys he's not even on a first-name basis with yet. "Make up your damn mind...Is it Leon, or Joe?"
LOL...."Hey, Scott Terrance!"

83evans
09-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Talk about your <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">London</st1:place></st1:City> Fletcher-esque stats.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Zero sacks. Zero interceptions. Zero tackles behind the line. Zero big pass break ups.<o:p></o:p>
This guy has to start making some big plays. So far, he looks like a very average safety in this league. With the exception of a few hard hits (more than 5 yards off the line mind you) I’ve yet to see him do anything game-impacting. <o:p></o:p>
This guy is the 8<SUP>th</SUP> overall pick in the draft; play like it. He was picked to be this team’s version of Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu or Bob Sanders. . He has to start doing SOMETHING that helps this defense get off the field.<o:p></o:p>

Wow this is dumb. A SS isnt expected to make stops behind the line or any sacks, expecially in our D. An average player in the secondary gets 2 int a seoson. If you havent realized SS are supposed to make tackles if the RB gets to the Secondary and there supposed to HELP the corner.

John Doe
09-29-2007, 08:15 AM

London Fletcher is gone, never to return. There is no need to start another thread defending him and his play at the expense of Whitner - one of the few bright spots on the defense.

With the injuries to the secondary the team is better served to have Whitner in coverage that to have him constantly blitzing the run and pass.

At this point he has proven his worth at #8.

jamze132
09-29-2007, 09:09 AM
I think the last thing we need to be worrying about on the defense is Whitner. He's been on the field probably longer than any other Bill this season so far, so saying that, by the 4th qtr, I'm sure he's exausted considering the offense can't get a 1st down.

He isn't exactly being put in a great position to roam the secondary either since our CBs are the worst in NFL.

Don't punk out Whitner and say he isn't playing up to his potential. He isn't being given the chance to.

Typ0
09-29-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm probably one of the worst losers on this board.

Jan;

Being a Bills fan has really gotten to you...you aren't a loser man so get that out of your mind.

churchinski
09-29-2007, 10:06 PM
This guy is the 8<SUP>th</SUP> overall pick in the draft; play like it. He was picked to be this team’s version of Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu or Bob Sanders. . He has to start doing SOMETHING that helps this defense get off the field.<o:p></o:p>he looks like an average safety because for the most part he is

like i said in another post ...there aren't many impact players from the safety position...a few but not many

the disparity between safeties in the nfl is not as great as it is at other positions...whitner is no ed reed

drafting him that high was a reach...as is the case for most safeties

djjimkelly
09-29-2007, 10:34 PM
i just rewatched the bills game from this afternoon and the first drive where we stopped the patriots for a FG whitner was the one to knock the ball down when the ball was thrown to moss what more is he to do.

hes been very solid IMO

Mitchy moo
09-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Donte is our man today!!!!

henrybacker
09-29-2007, 11:41 PM
I agree with Pat, I have seen zero game changing abilities from him thus far in his career. How much of this "Whitner is awesome" is just blind faith because he was picked so high. How much do you want to bet that if he was picked in the 6th round or picked up off the waiver wire, some of these same people would be saying, "we need an upgrade there, I haven't seen Whitner do much at all"?

Mitchy moo
09-30-2007, 12:13 AM
I agree with Pat, I have seen zero game changing abilities from him thus far in his career. How much of this "Whitner is awesome" is just blind faith because he was picked so high. How much do you want to bet that if he was picked in the 6th round or picked up off the waiver wire, some of these same people would be saying, "we need an upgrade there, I haven't seen Whitner do much at all"?

Nothing happens overnight but he looks the part.

acehole
09-30-2007, 09:01 AM
Yes and that Lee evans needs to be traded as well.....I would take a 5th rounder for him!

...ok have I made my piont?

HHURRICANE
09-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Whitner is not the problem. SS is only as good as the team D. Watch the games, he's doing his part.

Take out Whitner and insert Schobel, Trpplett, or Kelsay. It starts up front.

henrybacker
09-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Maybe Marv should have started up front then.....By the time the front 7 is good McGee and Whitner will be heading elsewhere