PDA

View Full Version : Jets ticket holder sues Patriots, Belichick

Mitchy moo
09-28-2007, 11:51 PM
NEW YORK - A New York Jets season-ticket holder filed a class-action lawsuit Friday against the New England Patriots and coach Bill Belichick (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21038123/#) for “deceiving customers.”
The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Newark, N.J., by Carl Mayer of Princeton Township, N.J., stems from the Patriots being caught illegally videotaping signals from Jets coaches in New England’s 38-14 season-opening win Sept. 9.
“They violated the integrity of the game,” Mayer’s attorney, Bruce Afran, told The Associated Press. “This is a way of punishing Belichick and the Patriots.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21038123/

OpIv37
09-28-2007, 11:53 PM
well that's a long-shot lawsuit, but if it causes a headache for the Patriots and Bellicheck, good.

Typ0
09-29-2007, 12:05 AM
this is funny. I had an interesting thought a little while ago. The TV networks own all the cameras. Video footage is solely provided by the networks and their mission is to make dollars with all the [network] analysis going on of the video.

The news is really starting to provide a lot because of cable and there is much more information floating around today compared to even ten years ago. So I had the thought that perhaps the whole NE cheating scandal is due to the fact that they are pioneers in this new territory.

They had no other way to gain an advantage information wise other than to collect competitive information on their own that rivaled the most effective competitive information being collected on them by the league via the networks. This would be a logical progession of the media blitz surrounding the NFL.

And interestingly enough the NFL would be a better target in this lawsuit because they allowed it to happen and they have the deeper pockets. People keep saying how the NFL is the example of how a league should be ran maybe they can set the example of how a league can faulter.

mybills
09-29-2007, 06:59 AM
They'd have a better case if they didn't destroy the audio tapes.

don137
09-29-2007, 09:34 AM

I think this is why they destroyed the tapes. I think their was a lot of evidence and if word got out that they cheated for years and it helped contribute to them winning/ cheating their way to the championship the NFL would take a serious blow to the integrity of the game.

jamze132
09-29-2007, 09:38 AM
Touche', but a copy is out there.

I don't think they will be needed that bad since it was public that Goodell punished the Pats and Belichick. To add onto that, Belichick admitted what he did was wrong.

However when the lawyers start demanding the NFL hand over the evidence, they will come up empty since they claimed to destroy the evidence. Goodell isn't going to support any lawsuit against the Patriots. It's more bad press for a league that has it's hands full with Vick's stupid ass.