PDA

View Full Version : Sold on Edwards?

ghz in pittsburgh
10-01-2007, 08:38 AM
I admit I was a Losman supporter (or more like the willing hoper), and I am completely sold on Edwards yet. But I do remember what Elway once said:

"Lots of guys can play quarterback in the NFL on first and second downs, but you get paid for converting third downs".

That's what sticks out to me yesterday. I almost expect him to convert them towards the end.

As a coach, especially a defensive coach, you'd love that. I have no doubt that Jauron had the best night of sleep last night since he came to Buffalo.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

CSFAN
10-01-2007, 08:40 AM
3rd down was not "JP time." In the 2nd half of yesterday's game, without even thinking about it, I was actually pretty confident on 3rd downs, and not nervous about mistakes or expecting us to not make the 1st....

unpaid_bills
10-01-2007, 08:59 AM
That is the difference, the really good QB's convert 3rd downs. The announcers said that yesterday also when they needed a score or drive to keep the defense off the field. Couple of things just to keep in mind not trying to be negative

1 - It was the Jets
2 - The entire team played well by far our best team effort. The D was unbelievable against the run. The OL was blocking.
3 - The playcalling was quite a bit different - was it because of Edwards?
4 - Edwards kind of caught them off guard i think they had no real film to study on him. I am exicted to see how he progresses. The one thing that stood out to me was his composure and leadership. He was fired up too it was contagious. He also got others involved. They seemed to rally around him. Even if it was because they were tired of losing. There is simply something missing with JP when it comes to this part.

HHURRICANE
10-01-2007, 09:01 AM
7 passes to a tight-end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FlyingDutchman
10-01-2007, 09:04 AM
One stat that is getting lost, is the fact that the Bills had 19 first downs. 19 FIRST DOWNS. Everytime JP was in there and we had a 3rd and 8 or something, i pretty much just conceded the drive. Not to mention Trent had only about 6 incomplete passes. 2 of which were throw aways, and 2 more which were dropped. I have been a JP supporter myself, and you should never lose your job to injury, but you cant argue with this production. We havent seen anything like it in a LONG time.

Historian
10-01-2007, 09:08 AM
1. A playoff team last year.
2. Granted. So why didn't they block in weeks 1, 2, and 3?
3. Edwards plays within himself. He's a WCO Quarterback. He doesn't want or need to throw the bomb on every play from scrimmage, ala Losman.
4. I agree about the rallying, disagree about the film. There's all last weeks game, as well as some preseason stuff.

I just think the coaches, when JP is in, want him to uncork his arm whever possible, whereas with Edwards in there, they call a more conservative game.
Which is probably better suited for a young team with a lot of new players.

Edwards just manages a game better.

Manages a press conference better too.

don137
10-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Yes it was against the Jets but his balls were very accurate no matter who the opponent was and he played with poise.

justasportsfan
10-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Well see how this board starts calling for his head after one bad game.

Meathead
10-01-2007, 09:54 AM
well if youre looking for a legit area of criticism for jp its late down conversions. since hes been here he has generally not been good enough at making plays when they needed to move the chains. im not saying it would continue that way but i cant deny the reality

JD
10-01-2007, 10:13 AM
2 - The entire team played well by far our best team effort. The D was unbelievable against the run.

When you convert those 3rd downs, you keep your D rested.. which is why I think we really improved on the run. Especially with the injuries we have, it was a great thing to see :angel:

ghz in pittsburgh
10-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Meathead hit it right on the head. Ever since Flutie is gone, RJ, Bledsoe, Losman, none of them are known for converting 3rd downs. Under Losman, if I'm not mistaken, almost all of his big plays came from 1st ort 2nd downs.

billsburgh
10-01-2007, 10:40 AM
We'll how this board starts calling for his head after one bad game.
or one bad series

dannyek71
10-01-2007, 11:01 AM
or one bad series

Or one bad practice pass

baalworship
10-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Edwards reminded me a lot of what Tom Brady looked like when he came in for Bledsoe. Very, poised accurate without making any throws that were in themselves extraordinary. But when you analyzed the entire game and he has two bad passes all game and the rest were so perfect it scared me.

I can't wait to see Edwards play MNF!

mybills
10-01-2007, 11:42 AM
One stat that is getting lost, is the fact that the Bills had 19 first downs. 19 FIRST DOWNS.

Both teams had 9 in the first half. Of course, it was because both teams aren't that good this year.

Captain gameboy
10-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Edwards reminded me a lot of what Tom Brady looked like when he came in for Bledsoe. Very, poised accurate without making any throws that were in themselves extraordinary. But when you analyzed the entire game and he has two bad passes all game and the rest were so perfect it scared me.

I can't wait to see Edwards play MNF!

Watch the Cowboys jam our wr's, respecting Edwards' short game, while ensuring that Evans does not roam free as the result, getting safety help on every play.

The Bills will expect this and that is why Peerless Price needs to show up.

PECKERWOOD
10-01-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm kinda nervous.. Do we actually have a QB again?