PDA

View Full Version : Trent Edwards

jmb1099
10-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Nice game yesterday by Trent. Just watched his press conference today and he said a few things that make me hopeful that we have finally found our QB
1) When he was asked about the Evans pick he didn't lay any blame on Lee, but even more impressive than that was that he saw he had an open Parrish in the flat and could have moved the chains. This means he's going through his progressions and knowing where his receivers are
2) When he was asked about the Jets d he recognized exactly what they were doing and was able to talk about it in technical terms. To me this says he's not only aware of what his receivers are doing, but also aware of how to utilize them given the defensive scheme he's looking at.
3) When a reporter tempted to goad him into a QB controversy he handled the question with class and poise and didn't take the bait.

One final thought about the patriots game:
I am in no way saying we would have one that game, but Edward's poor performance in that game could simply be that he wasn't prepared as the starting QB in that game. It makes a difference.

A thought regarding playcalling: It was better and I'm not even going to pretend to know why, but I can speculate. 1) Coach's didn't have the faith in Losman that they have in Edwards? 2) Coach's tired of being ripped by the media? 3) Players publically complaining about playcalling? 4) Another loss and Ralph would have told Marv to assume coaching responsibilities?
Again, its all speculation, but there were a number of new looks yesterday.
Good job Trent, good job Bills. On to next week.

Philagape
10-01-2007, 09:47 AM
He's got a head on his shoulders.

TigerJ
10-01-2007, 09:51 AM
I agree with most of what you said. I think the reason Edwards struggled versus New England is that the Bills coaching staff felt that he wasn't sufficiently prepared as a rookie backup to run a more wide open game plan which, if we are to believe Losman, the coaching staff had prepared for Losman last week. Instead of running a spread offense with lots of options for the QB (which team had worked on all week) they reverted to a close formation, max protect scheme. That had fewer options. When NE took away those fewer options, Edwards had nowhere to go. I think he probably had a few jitters too since it was his first regular season game and he had not gotten the reps in practice that he would have had as starter.

My guess is that Buffalo ran a game plan yesterday similar to what they would have run versus NE had Losman not been injured. We'll never know how Losman would have executed it though.

JD
10-01-2007, 09:58 AM
I think the play calling looks great when passes are completed and holes are made for Lynch. Other than going for it on fourth for the TD, I didnt notice that many differences in the play calling at all. JP just couldnt produce when called upon. Sure its only the Jets but for Edwards its one hell of a stepping stone. You could tell the players had confidence in this guy early on in the game, you better believe Evans is a Trent support lol. How many different players had receptions, anyone know? Seemed to be quite a bit.

Mad Bomber
10-01-2007, 10:16 AM
I How many different players had receptions, anyone know? Seemed to be quite a bit.

Six: Evans, Reed, Parrish, Royal, Gaines and Price.

I'm surprised that they haven't gotten Lynch involved in the passing game more. I thought that was in the big scheme of things.

Maybe we're just saving him for Dallas...

justasportsfan
10-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Where is wys and the rest who thought he was a wasted pick?

jmb1099
10-01-2007, 10:30 AM
There were quite a few different looks given yesterday. Maybe that's the direction the coaching staff wanted to head with Losman but could not, who knows. I agree that Edwards made nice plays all game long and execution always makes things look better.

Oaf
10-01-2007, 12:03 PM
As the spot on commentators said yesterday, "Edwards has simply elevated the play of his teammates."

Sure seemed like it too.

jmb1099
10-01-2007, 12:06 PM
As the spot on commentators said yesterday, "Edwards has simply elevated the play of his teammates."

Sure seemed like it too.
It seemed like it to me as well. I was watching the game with my brother in law and we both remarked how much better everyone seemed to play. Don't know if it was Edwards or not, but the two things that changed on the field were playcalling and the general leading the team.

The Answer
10-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Six: Evans, Reed, Parrish, Royal, Gaines and Price.

I'm surprised that they haven't gotten Lynch involved in the passing game more. I thought that was in the big scheme of things.

Maybe we're just saving him for Dallas...

The Answer has told you all for months that this kid is something special. And anybody that thinks it won't last or that Losman is still a better option needs to seek help immediately.

~The Answer

PECKERWOOD
10-01-2007, 12:34 PM

That was pretty much the whole fanbase at the time.

churchinski
10-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Nowhere to be found just like the Rob Johnson fans.

Soon 100% of these Losman groupies will change their tune , then comes the next step where suddenly you won't be able to find anyone who was a Losman fan.

Instead they will be off to the next debate being as obnoxious and wrong as they always are.

billsburgh
10-01-2007, 12:45 PM
I think the play calling looks great when passes are completed and holes are made for Lynch. Other than going for it on fourth for the TD, I didnt notice that many differences in the play calling at all. JP just couldnt produce when called upon. Sure its only the Jets but for Edwards its one hell of a stepping stone. You could tell the players had confidence in this guy early on in the game, you better believe Evans is a Trent support lol. How many different players had receptions, anyone know? Seemed to be quite a bit.
it's all about execution of the plays called.

justasportsfan
10-01-2007, 02:32 PM
That was pretty much the whole fanbase at the time.
not me. I knew something was cookin. If it wasn't JP , it was Nall that the coaches wasn't sold on.

I'm still not sold on Edwards. Let's see what he can do when teams have tape on him and start gameplaning around that.

casdhf
10-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Where is wys ? He's focusing on the int, I'm sure

Captain gameboy
10-01-2007, 02:43 PM
not me. I knew something was cookin. If it wasn't JP , it was Nall that the coaches wasn't sold on.

I'm still not sold on Edwards. Let's see what he can do when teams have tape on him and start gameplaning around that.

You know what they are going to see and you know what they are going to do.

They are going to see that if you give him time he can stick a football into a freakin' mailbox for 20 yards.

They are going to see that he is probably restricted in audibles, maybe not by his OC, but by his experience/confidence.

They are going to see that his team cannot run right.

They are going to see that, so far, he has not shown any interest in tucking it in and running.

So.....What Trent is going to see is pressure coverage on his wideouts to take away the short game, which cost the Jets the game yesterday.

Safety help on every play covering Evans in the medium to long game.

Disguised blitzes on nearly every single passing play.

Everyone keying on Marshawn, and drilling the TE at the line.

That all points to one thing.

Peerless needs to carry his part of the load.

justasportsfan
10-01-2007, 02:46 PM
You know what they are going to see and you know what they are going to do.

They are going to see that if you give him time he can stick a football into a freakin' mailbox for 20 yards.

They are going to see that he is probably restricted in audibles, maybe not by his OC, but by his experience/confidence.

They are going to see that his team cannot run right.

They are going to see that, so far, he has not shown any interest in tucking it in and running.

So.....What Trent is going to see is pressure coverage on his wideouts to take away the short game, which cost the Jets the game yesterday.

Safety help on every play covering Evans in the medium to long game.

Disguised blitzes on nearly every single passing play.

Everyone keying on Marshawn, and drilling the TE at the line.

I was thinking more about Bellicheat but that works. All I care about is a qb that takes what the D gives him. Something Jp has a hard time taking advantage of.

Captain gameboy
10-01-2007, 02:49 PM
I have been beating the drum all day.

The key to the rest of the season is having Peerless Price emerge as an actual member of the offense.

Mudflap1
10-01-2007, 02:51 PM
I will admit I was one who said I thought Trent Edwards was a wasted pick. I'm glad he played good yesterday, and obviously I hope he keeps it up.

However, can we stop saying we feel good about the young quarterbacks on this team because of what they say in interviews and press conferences? It means nothing. Everyone was saying the same thing about Losman the last couple years ("he's a good kid, he's smart, he's the next Jim Kelly" etc. etc.). Let the kid's playing do the talking. If he plays like yesterday, that'll be more than enough. I hate the "he's going to be a good quarterback because he said all the right things in his press conference" argument. It's worthless.

Jon

Mitchy moo
10-01-2007, 02:55 PM
I will admit I was one who said I thought Trent Edwards was a wasted pick. I'm glad he played good yesterday, and obviously I hope he keeps it up.

However, can we stop saying we feel good about the young quarterbacks on this team because of what they say in interviews and press conferences? It means nothing. Everyone was saying the same thing about Losman the last couple years ("he's a good kid, he's smart, he's the next Jim Kelly" etc. etc.). Let the kid's playing do the talking. If he plays like yesterday, that'll be more than enough. I hate the "he's going to be a good quarterback because he said all the right things in his press conference" argument. It's worthless.

Jon

Press conferences are alot easier after wins, so no problems yesterday. Let's hope they can ask TE the same questions after a win next monday.

deepslant
10-01-2007, 03:05 PM
With another week of practice under his belt, and the entire O believing he can deliver, they will come out and put points on the board. Cowpies will likely shred our D but on our O-side look for a steady dose of Lynch if they refuse to load the box and try to take the passing game away. The big question is can we effectively run and not go 3 and out because of it. Fairchild will call whatever Dallas gives us and Trent just has to execute.

We won't get embarrased on MNF: No Way!

jmb1099
10-01-2007, 03:59 PM

Jon
I think you're seriously underestimating the fact that Edwards was able to talk about specific defensive schemes by name, state the consequences of that particular scheme, and talk about how they played around it in order to beat it. I have yet to see a Losman interview where he says anything close to that. The point is Trent displayed knowledge of the game, just because he did so in a press conference doesn't make it worthless. Forget the forum, its the content that counts.

Mitchy moo
10-01-2007, 04:02 PM
I think you're seriously underestimating the fact that Edwards was able to talk about specific defensive schemes by name, state the consequences of that particular scheme, and talk about how they played around it in order to beat it. I have yet to see a Losman interview where he says anything close to that. The point is Trent displayed knowledge of the game, just because he did so in a press conference doesn't make it worthless. Forget the forum, its the content that counts.

He sounds like a 10 year vet.