• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Game Notes, Balls, Goats, Grades

Quarterback:
    Edwards was solidly spectacular. Some might bring comparisons to Holcomb, I would rather compare him to a earlier version on Montana: remarkably efficient and calm. Now please note that I am ONLY comparing their styles of play and absolutely nothing else.

The best thing about his performance yesterday was his flawless 3rd down passing. That's one thing I clearly noticed different b/w him and JP. Edwards just found a way to move the chains in passing situations time and time again, to several different targets. In a game where the Jets geared down on Lynch, Edwards did a LOT more than just manage the game, which is what we needed from JP but did not get thus far. I really don't put that pick on Edwards shoulders either, but it is the only mark on his performance.

Grade: A-
    Game Ball: Absolutely.

Running Back:
    Lynch turned another excellent job in terms on grinding it out against a Jets D focusing on him. Unfortunately, he still needs work on feeling where the bigger hole is opening up and he still seems to be a liability on blitz pickups. I watch him look and then bash it in for 2 or 3 when with a slight more patience and a small cut could break it outside for twice the gain. His TD run was amazing.

Why doesn't Atrain just drop the Subway sandwiches and convert to a FB? He's completely useless running it, and only is useful on blitz pickups. Take Neufeld's spot, and block it up. A dual back formation would be more of a pass threat anyways.

Speaking of passing, it'd be nice to see a few more passes to Lynch on the swing or crossing over the middle.

Why not get explosive Freddie Jackson a few carries as well?

Game Balls: None
    Grade: B

Wide Recievers:
    Josh Reed has slowly become a favorite of mine. He runs like a running back and is the best 3rd down target we have. His consistent conversions have really helped out both JP and Edwards. Parrish proved again why he should get more touches as well. Price chipped in just like a 4th wideout should. Evans finally made a few plays, but gets the goat because of that unexplicable lack of effort on the pick and the one awful drop off his hands. He didn't even fight for the incompletion; he wants his 1 v 1 chances? Edwards put it up, do something with it.

Game Goats: Evans
    Grade: B-

Tight Ends:
    Royal made another critical error on that fumble and again showed why he should not be counted on in vital situations. (Titans game last year anyone?)
    Gaines has been reliable, and for a big blocking man, (I think 270 lbs) he has developed into a smart safety valve. It would have been nice to see Everett in this position. Overall, the TEs contributed 7 catches for 50 yards and a TD, so good work.

Game Ball: Gaines
    Game Goat: Royal
    Grade: B+

Offensive Line:
    Peters looked relatively weak in run blocking, but held well in pass protection. Butler looked awful and was beat for at least one of the sacks. Fowler played solid and actually moved some people for Lynch. Dockery wasn't a factor it seemed which was fine. Walker played well all around.

Game Ball: None
    Goats: Butler
    Grade: C+

DLine:
    Schobel has the best game of the season forcing the final pick, causing pressure, and holding down the run game. McCargo looked good on the seemingly few plays he was in. Tripp had a few good stops and bad misses. Jefferson and Williams played hard. Anderson was awful again, missing on a few stops, one leading to the Jets last TD. Scobey was more useful than this bum.

Game Ball: Schobel
    Goats: Anderson
    Grade: B

Linebackers:
    Crowell looked a little better, Haggan made a big play, DiG looked overmatched. Allowed too much over the middle and did mediocre in the run game.

Game Ball and Goats: None
    Grade: C

DBacks:
    Whitner proved to be a game changer with solid run support and fine coverage. Leonard got hurt and left. Bryan Scott scares me. (Izell Reese??)
    McGee was picked on ALL day and it worked till one pass breakup and the last pick. Youboty played only decent till he got hurt. KT made several tackles and played well.

Greer was the obvious star in this unit with his vital pick. Has been our most consistent playmaker and it's a wonder why this kid has only started after Webster and Youboty went out. Great to see a UDFA fight his way to stick for 3 or 4 years and finally make it into the spotlight. Currently the favorite player of mine. Pennington's efficiency brings the grade down just a bit.

Game Balls: Whitner, Greer

Conclusion:
    Edwards, Lynch, and Reed stared on Offense, Schobel, Greer, and Whitner on defense. Marv looks like he's hit grand slams on his first 3 picks thus far. Gutsy coaching paid off on 4th and 1. It looks like this is what the FO envisioned when we picked this guy. Sucks for JP, but looks like the organization is really pulling for Trent.
    If Edwards can pull a win over Dallas, I'll be down for the
    controversy.

Question: How do we stop Romo?

• justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Game Notes, Balls, Goats, Grades

I disagree that Evans is a goat because of the pick. He was on his way to the corner of the endzone where only he could catch it which is where JP would've put it. Edwards didn't get the ball there like JP would've but that's neither here nor there because Edwards has yet to establish the long ball chemistry with Evans and that takes time.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
      I He was on his way to the corner of the endzone where only he could catch it which is where JP would've put it.
      We we're there week one with JP, he had his big shot and missed it.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
        We we're there week one with JP, he had his big shot and missed it.
        At least it wasn't thrown where only the cb could make a play on it, Mr. Flipflop.It was thrown where he can only catch it.
        sacrifice1

Comment

• Scumbag College
          • Oct 2002

I was incredibly impressed with A Train's pickups on third down blitzes, I think the pass protection is far and away the most improved part of this team from last year to this year.

I would keep A Train around just for that reason and give all the runs to Lynch and Wright.
          Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• G. Host
            Banned
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Oaf

Tight Ends:
            Royal made another critical error on that fumble and again showed why he should not be counted on in vital situations. (Titans game last year anyone?)
            Gaines has been reliable, and for a big blocking man, (I think 270 lbs) he has developed into a smart safety valve. It would have been nice to see Everett in this position. Overall, the TEs contributed 7 catches for 50 yards and a TD, so good work.

Game Ball: Gaines
            Game Goat: Royal

Disagree on Royal. He was down on ground before that ball came up and I am hoping to see it again on NFL Replay.

Otherwise agree and good job for an oaf.

Oh and what was Wright doing on first series? I saw the stats and still have no idea why he was on. I missed first few minutes of game taking my wife to lunch.

Comment

• deepslant
              • May 2007

At least it wasn't thrown where only the cb could make a play on it, Mr. Flipflop.It was thrown where he can only catch it.
              That was an easy TD if Trent would of pumped fake right and the turned left and gunned it. The DB had no chance if TE would of pump faked. Next time!
              *********The Kid**********

Comment

• raphael120
                Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                • Oct 2005

How many more chances are we going to give Royal by the way?

This fumble adds to the many MANY **** ups he's had, he has hurt this team way more than helped it.

Comment

• Oaf
                  Do you read what you write?
                  • Jun 2007

I disagree that Evans is a goat because of the pick. He was on his way to the corner of the endzone where only he could catch it which is where JP would've put it. Edwards didn't get the ball there like JP would've but that's neither here nor there because Edwards has yet to establish the long ball chemistry with Evans and that takes time.
                  A legitmate arguement. I thought it was close enough that he could have and should have fought for it.

What I think happened was that Evans did not realize Dyson was in that position to make a play on the ball, and was then surprised when he jumped from the side to make the pick. So if he would have known, and probably should have anyways, he likely would have held back and jumped for the ball.

Good point.

For Royal's fumble, G, CBS did a poor job of showing a replay of if he was down or not. I believed he fumbled for two reasons:

1. Later in the broadcast, at the end of the first Q perhaps, they montaged a bunch of the key plays in the quarter, including the fumble from an different angle. I had TiVo so I slowed it down, and from what I could see, it was a clear fumble.

2. DJ had a tv timeout to see if it was worth challenging, and apparently the booth upstairs said it was not. If it was close, I'm sure he would have given the situation.

About Atrain, keeping him in on 3rd down eliminates the threat of a draw or a RB catch. They will know Edwards will be passing from the shotgun with AT blocking. Jackson would be a good draw and catch threat if he could block.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Oaf
                    A legitmate arguement. I thought it was close enough that he could have and should have fought for it.

What I think happened was that Evans did not realize Dyson was in that position to make a play on the ball, and was then surprised when he jumped from the side to make the pick. So if he would have known, and probably should have anyways, he likely would have held back and jumped for the ball.

Good point.

I see what youre saying . just like when he came back to grab a TD when the wind floated a JP pass agains tthe fins@buff. He came back to make a play.

This time however when I rewatched the tape in slow mo , he was instride for the corner of the endzone where he most likely thought the ball would land. I could be wrong but IMO Edwards underthrew the ball. The ball floated higher than the way JP throws a deep ball. Had the ball been thrown to the corner of the endzone, only Evans could've caught that ball.
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• acehole
                      • Jan 2006

OMG.

This board has turned into twobillsdrive.

One game against the Jest folks.

[QUOTE=Oaf][FONT=Arial]Quarterback:
                      Edwards was solidly spectacular. Some might bring comparisons to Holcomb, I would rather compare him to a earlier version on Montana: remarkably efficient and calm. Now please note that I am ONLY comparing their styles of play and absolutely nothing else.
                      Hated by the stupid..
                      Loved by their moms.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                        Roways rooking ahread!
                        • Sep 2005

I see what youre saying . just like when he came back to grab a TD when the wind floated a JP pass agains tthe fins@buff. He came back to make a play.

This time however when I rewatched the tape in slow mo , he was instride for the corner of the endzone where he most likely thought the ball would land. I could be wrong but IMO Edwards underthrew the ball. The ball floated higher than the way JP throws a deep ball. Had the ball been thrown to the corner of the endzone, only Evans could've caught that ball.
                        It was a ball that either player could of caught in the endzone. Evans misjudged where it was coming down and didn't make a play on it. I say that because he normally breaks up a pass if there is a problem. It might of been a little underthrown but Evans may have overran the route as well, either way it backed the jets D up a little bit I assure you of that.

Comment

• G. Host
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
                          It was a ball that either player could of caught in the endzone. Evans misjudged where it was coming down and didn't make a play on it. I say that because he normally breaks up a pass if there is a problem. It might of been a little underthrown but Evans may have overran the route as well, either way it backed the jets D up a little bit I assure you of that.
                          That was a matter of timing and Lee and Trent have not had the same amount of time that JP and Evans had. That and I do not think Trent is as good with the long ball.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                            Roways rooking ahread!
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by G. Host
                            That was a matter of timing and Lee and Trent have not had the same amount of time that JP and Evans had. That and I do not think Trent is as good with the long ball.
                            That's yet to be seen but he's done well with almost everything that's been given to him.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by G. Host
                              That and I do not think Trent is as good with the long ball.
                              this remains to be seen but right now no ones has a spiral as tight as JP which means nothing of course if he can't make short passes. He's just another Drew if this is the case.
                              sacrifice1

Comment

Working...
                              X