• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

It's amazing what happens when vets make plays

Evans finally came up with some receptions.
    Reed got involved in the offense.

On the last drive alone, Tripplett tipped a pass, Whitner made the huge stop on the swing pass, and Schobel got pressure, forcing the McGee interception (I believe McGee had another pass broken up as well). End result: we shut them down and we win.

(Ok, calling Whitner a vet is a stretch, but he was an early pick and he's one of the better players on this D, and he's in a similar position in the sense that he makes plays).

This team is very young and lacks vet leadership. Thus far in the season, the vets have been very quiet. In fact, some of them were very quiet through most of the Jets game. Tripplett was mostly ineffective against the run and got no pressure. Schobel drew one hold but other than that, over-ran pretty much every play. Same with Kelsay. On that stupid fake spike, Tripplett and Kelsay were just standing there- it pissed me off so bad. (Greer actually held position on his man and got a hand on the ball, unfortunately the receiver got two hands on it). McGee didn't do too bad but did give up some passes in front of him. Crowell had the big hit but also over-ran running plays and was out of position against the pass a few times.

But when the vets came in and made the plays, we were able to shut them down and win the game. These guys need to be more consistent in order for us to win. And it doesn't take much- just avoiding mental mistakes and making 1-2 plays a game. For what they're being paid, they should be able to handle it.

Marv seems to think the answer is to get younger, but our young guys have their weaknesses as well. I think the answer is to mix vets who earn their paycheck with youth. Vets who don't earn their paycheck make us the Redskins.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: It's amazing what happens when vets make plays

Originally posted by OpIv37
    Marv seems to think the answer is to get younger, but our young guys have their weaknesses as well. I think the answer is to mix vets who earn their paycheck with youth. .
    Easier said then done when other teams are competing for their services and BTW, we're doing that already. Dockery, Walker ,etc.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
      Easier said then done when other teams are competing for their services and BTW, we're doing that already. Dockery, Walker ,etc.
      funny how you mention Dockery and Walker but not Price or Royal...

The mix worked well on the offense yesterday and seems to be working on the OL. It isn't really working anywhere else on the team, because the vets we have aren't showing up and the young guys are showing their inexperience.

We have way too much money invested in the DE's for the production we're getting.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

funny how you mention Dockery and Walker but not Price or Royal... .
        "etc" I thought even Royal showed up yesterday.

The mix worked well on the offense yesterday and seems to be working on the OL. It isn't really working anywhere else on the team, because the vets we have aren't showing up and the young guys are showing their inexperience.

We have way too much money invested in the DE's for the production we're getting.
        It can be anything from JP ,to the coaches, to playing a crappy jets team. We will know in time.

One things for sure, even vets get tired when they constantly have to bo on the field. Our success on O helped the vets to show up yesterday because they were able to rest.

In the previous games the vets on D were able to hold teams from making it to the endzone until they finally got tired.

I am confident that it this team wasn't decimated with injuries, we'd be playing better.
        sacrifice1

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
          "etc" I thought even Royal showed up yesterday.

It can be anything from JP ,to the coaches, to playing a crappy jets team.

One things for sure, even vets get tired when they constantly have to bo on the field. Our success on O helped the vets to show up yesterday because they were able to rest.

In the previous games the vets on D were able to hols teams from making it to the endzone until they finally got tired.
          Royal's been better in run blocking- thats' for sure- but he still makes bonehead plays. I believe he got a false start yesterday. He's one of those guys who will do something well and I'll think "maybe he's coming around", then he'll immediately follow it up with something stupid.

Yeah, I agree this was how the team was supposed to look- the "bend but don't break" D leaning on a consistent O that took the pressure off. It certainly wasn't perfect but it was much better and good enough to get the win.

I don't think this is going to be the start of some miraculous playoff run, but I'm hoping it can turn this season back into what it was supposed to be: a bunch of young guys learning the game and a team that gels and gets better as the season goes on.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Royal's been better in run blocking- thats' for sure- but he still makes bonehead plays. I believe he got a false start yesterday. He's one of those guys who will do something well and I'll think "maybe he's coming around", then he'll immediately follow it up with something stupid.

Yeah, I agree this was how the team was supposed to look- the "bend but don't break" D leaning on a consistent O that took the pressure off. It certainly wasn't perfect but it was much better and good enough to get the win.

I don't think this is going to be the start of some miraculous playoff run, but I'm hoping it can turn this season back into what it was supposed to be: a bunch of young guys learning the game and a team that gels and gets better as the season goes on.
            Unfortunately I am starting to think it could be JP looking for a big play instead of taking what's given to him or Fairchild really screwed things up by tightening up the calls on JP in the first 2 games. we will know in time.

How does both Gaines and Royals show up together with the wrs all at the same time?
            sacrifice1

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

Evans finally came up with some receptions.
              Reed got involved in the offense.

On the last drive alone, Tripplett tipped a pass, Whitner made the huge stop on the swing pass, and Schobel got pressure, forcing the McGee interception (I believe McGee had another pass broken up as well). End result: we shut them down and we win.

(Ok, calling Whitner a vet is a stretch, but he was an early pick and he's one of the better players on this D, and he's in a similar position in the sense that he makes plays).

This team is very young and lacks vet leadership. Thus far in the season, the vets have been very quiet. In fact, some of them were very quiet through most of the Jets game. Tripplett was mostly ineffective against the run and got no pressure. Schobel drew one hold but other than that, over-ran pretty much every play. Same with Kelsay. On that stupid fake spike, Tripplett and Kelsay were just standing there- it pissed me off so bad. (Greer actually held position on his man and got a hand on the ball, unfortunately the receiver got two hands on it). McGee didn't do too bad but did give up some passes in front of him. Crowell had the big hit but also over-ran running plays and was out of position against the pass a few times.

But when the vets came in and made the plays, we were able to shut them down and win the game. These guys need to be more consistent in order for us to win. And it doesn't take much- just avoiding mental mistakes and making 1-2 plays a game. For what they're being paid, they should be able to handle it.

Marv seems to think the answer is to get younger, but our young guys have their weaknesses as well. I think the answer is to mix vets who earn their paycheck with youth. Vets who don't earn their paycheck make us the Redskins.
              One of the best posts I have seen in a long time, honest and positive. Thanks for writing it!!

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                • Jul 2002

This team is very young and lacks vet leadership. Thus far in the season, the vets have been very quiet.
                I'll take talent over leadership, as one leads to the other.

Comment

• Elminster
                  #1 Kelsay Fan
                  • Oct 2006

Yeah, Royal is pretty bad as far receiving bad. That fumble yesterday was pretty bad. I mean, I know he's not a runningback, but shouldn't he know better by now that you need to protect it better? I for one must admit I'm not willing to believe the "nightmare" is over...the Jests aren't a very good football, after all. I was happy to see a roll-out and a lot of multi-receiver sets....where were those the past three weeks? Our defense played fairly well...at least when it was playing aggressively. McGee made plays...alot of guys who've been MIA did well. Also...Michael Gaines seems like a good pick-up: half-way decent receiver, which is more than I can say for Royal.

I must say I wasn't impressed with Edwards. He put up a pretty stat-line, but I was there. And he looked like what I thought he'd be: a 3rd-round rookie. He stared down receivers a lot. He has a quick release, but that's mostly because he's decided where to go before the snap. His worst play was definitely that pick. He was real late to recognize Lee was open(I was on the 10-yardline, my whole section was yelling Lee was open before Edwards turned his head and realized it!). He threw it far too late, and, to make it worse, he underthrew it. Lee didn't even have a chance on that.

Oh, and that no-call on PI in the first half was total BS. How that wasn't called is beyond comprehension. I didn't know you could hit a receiver before the ball got there.

In any case, let's see what he does against the Cowboys before we crown him savior of the franchise. If I saw what I saw(and my Dad agreed with me), he's in for a rough game next week...
                  Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by gameboy
                    I'll take talent over leadership, as one leads to the other.
                    well it's tough to tell if we have any of that, either- between the playcalling on O and the injuries on D, no one has the chance to use any talent they may have.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                    X