PDA

View Full Version : Should we still run the 4-6?

northernbillfan
03-25-2003, 04:15 AM
Well? we never did run it very well last year.

With all our new signings, are they used to the 4-6?

Is it easy to adapt to?

The Spaz
03-25-2003, 04:21 AM
Well with all of the 46 D coaches they have the players should learn quickly they have Gregg Williams, Jerry Gray and now Dick Lebeau hopefully there going over some of there playbooks now. Go Bills!

The_Philster
03-25-2003, 04:56 AM
The question is, were they ever suited to the 46?

northernbillfan
03-25-2003, 05:06 AM
:lol: Good point Phil. We never really pulled it off.

Throne Logic
03-25-2003, 07:21 AM
Well, I'd say that the defense was not originally suited for the 46. However, over the last 3 years, Donahoe has reconstructed the roster with players that do fit in the 46. They started to catch on toward the end of last season.

It'll be fine. Just might take a game or two for the new guys to get it straight. The important positions (knowledge wise) each have starters who have a year under their belt. PP will most likely start the season even if Reese is the better player, primarily because PP knows the system better. The two OLB's will need to adjust a bit, but the MLB is the one to make the calls. Sam just needs to stand in the middle and be large - little adjustment for him.

SABURZFAN
03-25-2003, 07:27 AM
i've always been a fan of the 3-4 defense.we had some good success with it but those were different times.i'll settle for the 4-3 but i wonder if we have the talent now to execute the 46.i guess we'll find out this year.

RedEyE
03-25-2003, 07:27 AM
First of all, Gray and Williams are not going to change their system. That would be an immediate admittance of failure to their defensive. Secondly, the 46 will work much better with a decent front 4 and a solid pass rush. I think you'll be pleasantly suprised with this seasons results.

Stewie
03-25-2003, 09:48 AM
The only difference between a 4-3 and a 4-6 is what you consistently do for with your safties, and what that difference enables you to do (and prevents you from doing) with your coverage and blitz schemes.
The coaches could make adjustments for certain opponents, and play a game with a "mostly" 4-3 style D, if they feel it would be better for that opponent.

Voltron
03-25-2003, 09:55 AM
With Lebeu on as a coach I am guessing that he will put some new twists into this D. It should be pretty impressive I think.

mush69
03-25-2003, 10:00 AM
With the players we have signed and they knew what defense was to be run before hand. They shouldn't have any trouble what so ever adapting to the system. Good point on the safety's though, their roll does have a few wrinkles in it. Reese will be on the field but probably after seeing a healthy dose of PP in the early season.

TedMock
03-25-2003, 10:23 AM
The 46 is a proven winner. GW knows it well and the players did start catching on the end of last season. It's supposedly a more complicated scheme but we didn't bring in inexperienced players, we brought in proven, intelligent on the field guys. Bringing Lebeau, the father of the zone blitz, can only help. GW is a good defensive coach, he's proven that before he came to Buffalo. Personell was the issue. Getting he and Lebeau together to come up with new wrinkles to use in a legitimately talented defense should result in a fun season.

TedMock
03-25-2003, 10:24 AM
I'd assume GW and Lebeau are licking their chops and giddy at this point.

northernbillfan
03-25-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
I'd assume GW and Lebeau are licking their chops and giddy at this point.

And you're not???

I know I'm licking my chops too!

TedMock
03-25-2003, 12:35 PM
Absolutely! I can't wait until September.

colin
03-25-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
The 46 is a proven winner. GW knows it well and the players did start catching on the end of last season. It's supposedly a more complicated scheme but we didn't bring in inexperienced players, we brought in proven, intelligent on the field guys. Bringing Lebeau, the father of the zone blitz, can only help. GW is a good defensive coach, he's proven that before he came to Buffalo. Personell was the issue. Getting he and Lebeau together to come up with new wrinkles to use in a legitimately talented defense should result in a fun season.

This post is correct.

The 3-4 and 46 are similar in terms of their mulitiple pass rushing positions, and their gap schemes. With our ability and athleticism in the front 8 (including the SS), we can do some things we could never do before. Pat (especialy now that Big Sam is gonna be the wreaking ball), Aaron, Spikes, Posey, Jones, and even London and Wire can all get right after you. Our D line now is a hard match up to block straight up, with the massive improvement in the LB core, especially with the super speed, Os will be covering up their blocking schemes instead of exploiting our obvious weaknesses all over the place.

You mix in some zone blitzing done right, and Os will have no idea what we are gonna do next, so if we fake a blitz on 3-13, they will have to respect it, and if we do blitz, the pressure will be so much more.

I really think our new talent and flexiblity on D is gonna be seen on little plays not getting jack, instead of getting big gains.
All the little screens from NE on us last year were very smart exploitations of our weakness up front and our slowness @ LB. That kind of crap is gonna result in Spikes destroying his assignment, and with London free to assasinate freely.

If we draft a passrusher, I am gonna walk around town and beat the hell out of anyone in a non Bills AFCE jersey, just because.

GO BILLS