• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

kicking the fG on 4th and goal

Just out of curiosity, do you think Jauron would have been moved to the front of "coaches who are going to get fired" had he elected to kick the field goal from the 1 yard line?

It was a spectacularly weak call, specifically after having a close game with denver. How he came to his senses in time is besides me. i hope his decision to do the right thing is contagious and we see more risk taking and better calls from him for the rest of the season.
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Re: kicking the fG on 4th and goal

Dick actually suprised me with that call. But I still say it's sad that he had to call a timeout to figure it out. I say 90% of the time, whenever you are inside the 5 yd line and leading, you go for it.

He isn't out of the doghouse yet, though.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

yeah...i actually was surprised that he said he didn't know where the ball was as his excuse. i thought maybe, just maybe, that it was designed to play headgames with the jets. Get them ready for a kick, call the Timeout, then bring in the offense and maybe get the wrong D package out there.

I was shocked at the time that they went with a passing play. but edwards looked very calm executing. in the future, i'd still like to see a running play in that situation.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus
        Just out of curiosity, do you think Jauron would have been moved to the front of "coaches who are going to get fired" had he elected to kick the field goal from the 1 yard line?

It was a spectacularly weak call, specifically after having a close game with denver. How he came to his senses in time is besides me. i hope his decision to do the right thing is contagious and we see more risk taking and better calls from him for the rest of the season.
        he's always taken risks. Remember going for it on 4th against the Pats last year when we had the lead when Willis was our rb?
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• mikemac2001
          is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
          • Mar 2003

if we kicked the fg we were gonna lose...even if we went for it and got stopped i felt we would win....kicking fg there is just pussy

MUCK
          FIAMI

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
            • Jul 2002

Did Moorman have anything to do with the call? It seemed he took the time out on his own. Unless it was part of a trick.

Comment

• mikemac2001
              is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by billsfanone
              Did Moorman have anything to do with the call? It seemed he took the time out on his own. Unless it was part of a trick.

Be even better if moorman called TO and was like im not gonna hold the kick were going for it Dick

MUCK
              FIAMI

Comment

• casdhf
                • Jul 2002

0-3, at home, with a defense that gives up alot of yardage and 4th quarter points. They had to go for it.
                Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

His excuse was the guys in the headphones told him initially the spot was at the 2, instead of the 2 foot line.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by billsfanone
                    actually, it was said after the game that Moorman was one of the biggest ones rooting for them to go for it. I think he purposely delayed getting on field and then took the timeout to drill it into Jauron's head to go for it. At least I hope so.

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

mikey, that would elevate moorman in my eyes. is it possible if jauron has to go that the bills go with the unheard of "player/coach" :-)

Comment

• Elminster
                        #1 Kelsay Fan
                        • Oct 2006

Moorman IS the man. But I'd be all for Bobby April being HC. At the very least, there is no question in my mind that he is a great motivator.

I'm still very much of the opinion we need to sell Dick. We can't take a quarter of the season to formulate our first effective game-plan every year and expect to be any good...
                        Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• Typ0
                          honey pie
                          • Jul 2002

I thought it was silly to go for it. I know it's more exciting for everyone but it's a lot harder to get a TD than a FG. At that point in the game and being at home I really thought he should have taken the 3 points and kicked it away to the JESTS. This way, we were a field goal away from making it a two score game for the JETS and it's a lot easier to get another field goal than a TD. Had we not converted the JETS had plenty of time to go down and score and make us have to get a TD to win instead of a field goal.

Comment

• Meathead
                            Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                            • Jul 2002

ok lets look at this like forty plus year old men instead of dopey thirty something less dorkmeisters

first of all its fourth from the half yard line. for accuracy purposes lets remember jauron said himself he first thought it was fourth and two based on the far sideline marker, which would be a pretty ez fg call, but when he was told by the upstairs coaches it was only a half he changed his call. im a bit concerned he didnt have that info faster but the key point is that once he knew he changed his call

now lets consider the situation. if youre leading on the road against a favored or probably even opponent you take the fg even if youre on the half yard line. why? because if you dont make it you now give the home team all the momentum and confidence in the world. they have their fans screaming bloody murder and suddenly have the strength of atlas and its a strong likelihood they take the ball down the field and get at least a fg if not a td. case in point - last years seasons opener which should have been a fg instead of the failed 4th d that lost the game for them. i stated then that now and forever i will ALWAYS call for the fg in that spot and remain steadfastly convinced of that

now if youre home and leading against a favored or even opponent on the half yard line you go for it on fourth down. why? because youve got the psychological advantage at that point. you still have the lead. if you dont make it you pin them back and your fans will go freaking nuts when they try to run a play. and they have what looks like a hunnerd and fitty miles to drive for a score. makes all the difference in the world

just to show you im not fos (this time) just ask doc lec. i was standing next to him when the fg unit came on and i immediately told him that was a mistake and i would go for it there. we were sitting just about on the five yard line or so and could see clearly it was only a pubic hair from the ez which made it an ez call, at least for a forty year old

hey getting older kinda sucks in a bunch o ways but at least we get to pwn bonehead punks like youse on stuff like this

respeck my authoritah
                            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

According to post-game reports, the call was to go for it all along if the ball was at the one or closer...Jauron didn't realize it was that close and got the FG unit on the field while the play clock was running, Moorman saw the spot of the ball, called TO and went to the sideline and told Dick about the spot and he changed the call.

Take it for what it's worth.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X