X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deepslant
    • May 2007

Vic Carucci on Edwards

There are three reasons to believe Trent Edwards has a good chance of keeping the Bills' starting quarterback job for the rest of the season.One is that the Bills' coaching staff has a tremendous amount of trust in his skills and intelligence. Steve Fairchild, Buffalo's offensive coordinator, demonstrated as much by using a spread formation for about half of the Bills' Week 4 victory against the New York Jets during which Edwards made his first NFL start. Edwards deftly ran the offense, patiently finding open receivers and keeping mistakes to a minimum. He showed superb poise, command and accuracy.
    But the defining moment of Fairchild’s faith in the rookie came late in the fourth quarter when coach Dick Jauron pulled off the field goal unit on fourth-and-goal from the Jets 1 and sent in Edwards to run the play-fake, rollout pass that he calmly executed in connecting with Michael Gaines for the winning touchdown.
    Reason Two: Team owner Ralph Wilson has loved Edwards since the Bills made him their third-round draft pick from Stanford, and became even more enamored with him during minicamp, training camp and the preseason. Now, Wilson is even more convinced that the Bills might have finally hit on the top-notch replacement they have been seeking since Jim Kelly's retirement 10 years ago.
    Reason Three: J.P. Losman's knee injury, which opened the door for Edwards in Week 3, could take longer than the originally projected two weeks to heal. However, by the time Losman is healthy enough to play, Edwards could very well have permanently taken the job he once owned.
    *********The Kid**********
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Re: Vic Carucci on Edwards

I can't wait to see how he manages the offense Monday night. And I REALLY hope that Roy Williams get's to guard Roscoe Parrish when we spead the field.

Comment

• Don't Panic
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Dec 2005

In some ways, I hate to see all the blame fall back on Losman, but it does seem as though things have opened up tremendously in the last week and one can safely assume its because of the confidence that Fairchild has in Edwrads. Still... does that mean Losman was really that bad? Is it all on him? I mean, I'm open to the possibility, but at first, it seems like a pretty harsh judgement on the guy. All in all, I feel really bad for JP. He had become very likeable (unlike Rob Johnson) and it would have been great to see him succeed here. So it goes... turn the page.

Comment

• STAMPY
        Hall of Fame Zoner
        • Sep 2003

he's had 3 freaking years

Comment

• Kal-El
          Eeek! It's Rob!
          • Jun 2005

I love Trent, and I think he is the QB of the future, but I hope we're not putting too much pressure on him with unrealistic expectations.

Edwards can run an offense, spot a receiver, and throw a quick-release ball, but he can't stuff the run, break up a pass, or make the other team go three-and-out.

You don't HAVE a soul. You ARE a soul. You HAVE a body.
          -- C.S. Lewis

BARACK OBAMA '08
          Better than you --
          and he knows it

Comment

• Luisito23
            Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by STAMPY
            he's had 3 freaking years

But he's basically a rookie.........

GO BILLS!!!!!!
            "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
            ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
            ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
            ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• carybillsfan
              • Aug 2003

One other note about Edwards that I liked, is he got into camp early. I believe he was one of our first draft picks signed. I know he was a third round pick but he wasn't holding out trying to squeeze ever dime out of Ralph, he got in learned the system and it shows.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

I have a lot of respect for Carucci, and think he may be right. While I've always supported JP, as a Bills' fan, I simply want to win.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• acehole
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bwbrenton
                  In some ways, I hate to see all the blame fall back on Losman, but it does seem as though things have opened up tremendously in the last week and one can safely assume its because of the confidence that Fairchild has in Edwrads. Still... does that mean Losman was really that bad? Is it all on him? I mean, I'm open to the possibility, but at first, it seems like a pretty harsh judgement on the guy. All in all, I feel really bad for JP. He had become very likeable (unlike Rob Johnson) and it would have been great to see him succeed here. So it goes... turn the page.
                  This is my feeling as well. I cant help but wonder if farchild opened it up for JP what would the outcome have been.....

I still think somehow he gets another shot to prove either way...
                  Hated by the stupid..
                  Loved by their moms.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

reason 2 blows. When Ralphy starts to meddle , it blows up in our face. He should just shut his trap.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by acehole
                      This is my feeling as well. I cant help but wonder if farchild opened it up for JP what would the outcome have been.....

I still think somehow he gets another shot to prove either way...
                      This is where I stand.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• gr8slayer
                        • Feb 2005

Talk to me again on Tuesday, till he beats a real team we're no better off with with him over Losman.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                          • Feb 2005

JP will get another shot at being the QB for this team after the bye week, it is the perfect time to reinsert him, especially if we lose to DALLAS, but i do believe that will be his final chance, and Yes Fairchild has to open up the offense for JP, no limits, i think Vic never liked JP and i started threads about this over the last 3 years, and i think he is defintly in favor of Trent gettin the starts, he was one of JP's biggest critics, and i hate to say it but so far he has been right!
                          XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• acehole
                            • Jan 2006

Indeed and think about this.....

Even if they are sold on T Edwards...they will have to showcase JP one more time as they will want to get a pick or two for the trouble. My gut says T Edwards will be the one that they get multiple picks for as his value (As of Today) is very high.....if they can get #1 + another first day pick They will have alot of ammo next year to build a team....

Originally posted by bigbub2352
                            JP will get another shot at being the QB for this team after the bye week, it is the perfect time to reinsert him, especially if we lose to DALLAS, but i do believe that will be his final chance, and Yes Fairchild has to open up the offense for JP, no limits, i think Vic never liked JP and i started threads about this over the last 3 years, and i think he is defintly in favor of Trent gettin the starts, he was one of JP's biggest critics, and i hate to say it but so far he has been right!
                            Hated by the stupid..
                            Loved by their moms.

Comment

• trapezeus
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Oct 2004

trading trent just speaks volumes of this team not wanting to win. they said they like this guy. Stick with him. Stick with someone somewhere. if they don't like JP, and he doesn't want to be a number 2, then get rid of him. but getting rid of trent for picks puts us back at the beginning yet again.

i don't doubt that you are right that trent could be worth more picks, btu it's not abuot getting great drafts, its about winning games. if trent wins games, we stay with him.

Comment

Working...
                              X