PDA

View Full Version : Vic Carucci on Edwards

deepslant
10-03-2007, 12:36 AM
There are three reasons to believe Trent Edwards has a good chance of keeping the Bills' starting quarterback job for the rest of the season.One is that the Bills' coaching staff has a tremendous amount of trust in his skills and intelligence. Steve Fairchild, Buffalo's offensive coordinator, demonstrated as much by using a spread formation for about half of the Bills' Week 4 victory against the New York Jets during which Edwards made his first NFL start. Edwards deftly ran the offense, patiently finding open receivers and keeping mistakes to a minimum. He showed superb poise, command and accuracy.
But the defining moment of Fairchild’s faith in the rookie came late in the fourth quarter when coach Dick Jauron pulled off the field goal unit on fourth-and-goal from the Jets 1 and sent in Edwards to run the play-fake, rollout pass that he calmly executed in connecting with Michael Gaines for the winning touchdown.
Reason Two: Team owner Ralph Wilson has loved Edwards since the Bills made him their third-round draft pick from Stanford, and became even more enamored with him during minicamp, training camp and the preseason. Now, Wilson is even more convinced that the Bills might have finally hit on the top-notch replacement they have been seeking since Jim Kelly's retirement 10 years ago.
Reason Three: J.P. Losman's knee injury, which opened the door for Edwards in Week 3, could take longer than the originally projected two weeks to heal. However, by the time Losman is healthy enough to play, Edwards could very well have permanently taken the job he once owned.

jamze132
10-03-2007, 02:36 AM
I can't wait to see how he manages the offense Monday night. And I REALLY hope that Roy Williams get's to guard Roscoe Parrish when we spead the field.

Don't Panic
10-03-2007, 07:37 AM
In some ways, I hate to see all the blame fall back on Losman, but it does seem as though things have opened up tremendously in the last week and one can safely assume its because of the confidence that Fairchild has in Edwrads. Still... does that mean Losman was really that bad? Is it all on him? I mean, I'm open to the possibility, but at first, it seems like a pretty harsh judgement on the guy. All in all, I feel really bad for JP. He had become very likeable (unlike Rob Johnson) and it would have been great to see him succeed here. So it goes... turn the page.

STAMPY
10-03-2007, 07:43 AM
he's had 3 freaking years

Kal-El
10-03-2007, 08:37 AM
I love Trent, and I think he is the QB of the future, but I hope we're not putting too much pressure on him with unrealistic expectations.

Edwards can run an offense, spot a receiver, and throw a quick-release ball, but he can't stuff the run, break up a pass, or make the other team go three-and-out.

Luisito23
10-03-2007, 08:39 AM
he's had 3 freaking years

But he's basically a rookie....:coocoo:.....

GO BILLS!!!!!!

carybillsfan
10-03-2007, 08:44 AM
One other note about Edwards that I liked, is he got into camp early. I believe he was one of our first draft picks signed. I know he was a third round pick but he wasn't holding out trying to squeeze ever dime out of Ralph, he got in learned the system and it shows.

Jan Reimers
10-03-2007, 08:59 AM
I have a lot of respect for Carucci, and think he may be right. While I've always supported JP, as a Bills' fan, I simply want to win.

acehole
10-03-2007, 09:09 AM
In some ways, I hate to see all the blame fall back on Losman, but it does seem as though things have opened up tremendously in the last week and one can safely assume its because of the confidence that Fairchild has in Edwrads. Still... does that mean Losman was really that bad? Is it all on him? I mean, I'm open to the possibility, but at first, it seems like a pretty harsh judgement on the guy. All in all, I feel really bad for JP. He had become very likeable (unlike Rob Johnson) and it would have been great to see him succeed here. So it goes... turn the page.

This is my feeling as well. I cant help but wonder if farchild opened it up for JP what would the outcome have been.....

I still think somehow he gets another shot to prove either way...

justasportsfan
10-03-2007, 09:16 AM
reason 2 blows. When Ralphy starts to meddle , it blows up in our face. He should just shut his trap.

justasportsfan
10-03-2007, 09:17 AM
This is my feeling as well. I cant help but wonder if farchild opened it up for JP what would the outcome have been.....

This is where I stand.

gr8slayer
10-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Talk to me again on Tuesday, till he beats a real team we're no better off with with him over Losman.

bigbub2352
10-03-2007, 09:21 AM
JP will get another shot at being the QB for this team after the bye week, it is the perfect time to reinsert him, especially if we lose to DALLAS, but i do believe that will be his final chance, and Yes Fairchild has to open up the offense for JP, no limits, i think Vic never liked JP and i started threads about this over the last 3 years, and i think he is defintly in favor of Trent gettin the starts, he was one of JP's biggest critics, and i hate to say it but so far he has been right!

acehole
10-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Indeed and think about this.....

Even if they are sold on T Edwards...they will have to showcase JP one more time as they will want to get a pick or two for the trouble. My gut says T Edwards will be the one that they get multiple picks for as his value (As of Today) is very high.....if they can get #1 + another first day pick They will have alot of ammo next year to build a team....

JP will get another shot at being the QB for this team after the bye week, it is the perfect time to reinsert him, especially if we lose to DALLAS, but i do believe that will be his final chance, and Yes Fairchild has to open up the offense for JP, no limits, i think Vic never liked JP and i started threads about this over the last 3 years, and i think he is defintly in favor of Trent gettin the starts, he was one of JP's biggest critics, and i hate to say it but so far he has been right!

trapezeus
10-03-2007, 11:01 AM
trading trent just speaks volumes of this team not wanting to win. they said they like this guy. Stick with him. Stick with someone somewhere. if they don't like JP, and he doesn't want to be a number 2, then get rid of him. but getting rid of trent for picks puts us back at the beginning yet again.

i don't doubt that you are right that trent could be worth more picks, btu it's not abuot getting great drafts, its about winning games. if trent wins games, we stay with him.

raphael120
10-03-2007, 11:18 AM
If Edwards even comes close to leading us to a win against a juggernaut team like the Cowboys, I'll be sold. Not once has JP ever kept us in a game against a high calibre opponent. Last year against San Diego and Indy, the defense kept us in the game, and JP had opportunities to win the game with his arm and he failed. In fact, he failed right out the gate. In that Indy, and in many others...the coaching staff didn't trust JP to do anything. Look at how much the coaches trusted Edwards.

Has JP EVER converted a 4th down through the air for a TD??? Have the coaches ever trusted him to?

I think not.

TigerJ
10-03-2007, 11:26 AM
JP has had some pretty hard luck as a Bills QB. An injury as a rookie, weak head coaches and too many offensive coordinators and systems. When it comes to the game of football, hard luck really does not win you very many points in the competition to succeed. If Edwards continues to play well, the teamdoesn't have a whole lot of choice. They have to go with the youngster. JP is going to eventually move to another team, and he may have success, but I think the Bills are going to say sooner or later, "This is Trent's team."

deepslant
10-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Even if they are sold on T Edwards...they will have to showcase JP one more time as they will want to get a pick or two for the trouble. My gut says T Edwards will be the one that they get multiple picks for as his value (As of Today) is very high.....if they can get #1 + another first day pick
Ace, it makes no sense at all. Would Jones trade Romo and install Brad Johnson because Romo garners a high first rounder and additional picks? No way. NFL-caliber difference makers are hard to come by. We may have one at the most important position on the team and certainly we don't want to get rid of Trent for a lottery pick.

Oaf
10-03-2007, 12:15 PM

Indeed. Losman proved he could be sucessful in the spread attack last year. Why did Fairchild limit him so much in the first two games only to open it up for the Rook?

Seems like he was almost set up to fail so "their" guy could take over. :ontome:

If there's any shred of truth to that, what a sad day for the Bills FO and JP Losman. :(

Oaf
10-03-2007, 12:16 PM

Even if they are sold on T Edwards...they will have to showcase JP one more time as they will want to get a pick or two for the trouble. My gut says T Edwards will be the one that they get multiple picks for as his value (As of Today) is very high.....if they can get #1 + another first day pick They will have alot of ammo next year to build a team....
I could see that happening, a la Matt Shaub. That is, if JP returns and plays well.

Mitchy moo
10-03-2007, 01:20 PM

Even if we got the #1 pick in the draft it wouldn't be of enough value to assure the value Trent has displayed thus far. Just having a guy that can come off the bench as a rookie and put up great numbers can mean the difference between a winning and losing season because of injuries. We also do not know the long term effects if any on JP this injury may have, so JP himself becomes even more of a question mark for a long term solution.

Charlieguide
10-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Remember that the J-E-T-S had an abysmally stupid gameplan going in. They didn't blitz a rookie QB in week 4 on his first start, and they didn't run Thomas Jones on a defense with more holes in its roster than a butterfly net used for target practice.

Trent's real test will be Monday when he faces ol' Wade and his agressively blitzing defense. The OL must come together right now and gel as a unit; they must provide Trent with the protection our QB's have been lacking since Kent Hull retired.

Mitchy moo
10-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Remember that the J-E-T-S had an abysmally stupid gameplan going in. They didn't blitz a rookie QB in week 4 on his first start, and they didn't run Thomas Jones on a defense with more holes in its roster than a butterfly net used for target practice.

Trent's real test will be Monday when he faces ol' Wade and his agressively blitzing defense. The OL must come together right now and gel as a unit; they must provide Trent with the protection our QB's have been lacking since Kent Hull retired.

Easier for the O-line to protect a pocket passer.

TedMock
10-03-2007, 02:40 PM
I love Trent, and I think he is the QB of the future, but I hope we're not putting too much pressure on him with unrealistic expectations.

Edwards can run an offense, spot a receiver, and throw a quick-release ball, but he can't stuff the run, break up a pass, or make the other team go three-and-out.

I just want a win and for Edwards not to buckle. 180 yards, 1 - 2 TD, and zero turnovers would be fine in a victory. Hopefully the RB, defense, kicker, and special teams all do their part to help.

HHURRICANE
10-03-2007, 04:18 PM

What are you talking about?!

churchinski
10-03-2007, 04:31 PM

yeah maybe with that and another 5 years we could make a fair evaluation

churchinski
10-03-2007, 04:33 PM
reason 2 blows. When Ralphy starts to meddle , it blows up in our face. He should just shut his trap.I think history shows that the more Ralph gets involved in decisions the better the team gets.

Lynch and Bruce Smith are just two of the first rounders that Ralph made the call on

The mans knows the game.

As far as Edwards goes it looks like he has that pegged right.
Do you agree ?

acehole
10-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Ace, it makes no sense at all. Would Jones trade Romo and install Brad Johnson because Romo garners a high first rounder and additional picks? No way. NFL-caliber difference makers are hard to come by. We may have one at the most important position on the team and certainly we don't want to get rid of Trent for a lottery pick.

Thanks for the response.

I dont feel that is a good comparison. A better one is Bledosoe coming in for an injured Brady...and Bledsoe preforming enough to get the Bills interested. On your scenario you are comparing Romo to Edwards and you really dont know (AT this Point) if he (Edwards)is that good or JP is as bad as a washed up vet. Lets face it the Bills are cheap......they will want to get somthing for sombody. I have to think they were thinking one of 4 things when they drafted edwards. #1. He is great value here lets develop him and trade him later for more then we paid(IE Rob Johnson). #2. If this team is not as far along as we think we have a young groom to take over when are.
#3. (Remember up until this pick JP was playing well) If Jp has a great year and either wants big bucks or want out or gets hurt....we have insurance. #4 All of the above.

This team has squandered alot of picks over the last few year on QB's.

They will want somthing for sombody....

acehole
10-03-2007, 06:00 PM
What are you talking about?!

I am talking about the outside chance JP starts after the Bye and plays well enough to keep his job...if your Marv...and you get a call for T Edwards for a #1 and #2...you have to think long and hard about that. Especially a team with so many need like the bills. If JP plays well thats great also...Marv gets what he wanted a good starter a capable back up....and value for a 3rd rounder.

acehole
10-03-2007, 06:01 PM

Amen Amen amen!

ublinkwescore
10-03-2007, 06:39 PM
If the O looks more alive against the Cowboys, then we gotta go with Edwards.

I wanted to see JP succeed so bad, but I want to win even more.

JP doesn't have any room to talk about being a starter because he's been given every opportunity. I just hope the staff hasn't been trying to set him up to fail.

Mitchy moo
10-03-2007, 07:01 PM
If the O looks more alive against the Cowboys, then we gotta go with Edwards.

I wanted to see JP succeed so bad, but I want to win even more.

JP doesn't have any room to talk about being a starter because he's been given every opportunity. I just hope the staff hasn't been trying to set him up to fail.

He's handled that all on his own.

G. Host
10-03-2007, 07:53 PM
One other note about Edwards that I liked, is he got into camp early. I believe he was one of our first draft picks signed. I know he was a third round pick but he wasn't holding out trying to squeeze ever dime out of Ralph, he got in learned the system and it shows.

He signed on 7/10 before Lynch, Poz, Wright & even Wendling!

ParanoidAndroid
10-03-2007, 08:32 PM
I became convinced that Edwards is better than JP when he put a pass just over the heads of a linebacker and the CB and dropped it into Evans' hands where the FS playing deep couldn't get to it or get a clean hit. JP either would not have thrown that ball (most likely) or would have put it up high for Evans to get his clock cleaned. It was a very Bulgeresque throw.

Mad Bomber
10-03-2007, 08:42 PM
I became convinced that Edwards is better than JP when he put a pass just over the heads of a linebacker and the CB and dropped it into Evans' hands where the FS playing deep couldn't get to it or get a clean hit. JP either would not have thrown that ball (most likely) or would have put it up high for Evans to get his clock cleaned. It was a very Bulgeresque throw.
I too am very impressed with TE. I love his mastery of the short game. This is something that JP is sorely lacking in...

Bulgeresque..LOL

I love it... :up:

The Answer
10-04-2007, 12:52 AM
There are three reasons to believe Trent Edwards has a good chance of keeping the Bills' starting quarterback job for the rest of the season.One is that the Bills' coaching staff has a tremendous amount of trust in his skills and intelligence. Steve Fairchild, Buffalo's offensive coordinator, demonstrated as much by using a spread formation for about half of the Bills' Week 4 victory against the New York Jets during which Edwards made his first NFL start. Edwards deftly ran the offense, patiently finding open receivers and keeping mistakes to a minimum. He showed superb poise, command and accuracy.
But the defining moment of Fairchild’s faith in the rookie came late in the fourth quarter when coach Dick Jauron pulled off the field goal unit on fourth-and-goal from the Jets 1 and sent in Edwards to run the play-fake, rollout pass that he calmly executed in connecting with Michael Gaines for the winning touchdown.
Reason Two: Team owner Ralph Wilson has loved Edwards since the Bills made him their third-round draft pick from Stanford, and became even more enamored with him during minicamp, training camp and the preseason. Now, Wilson is even more convinced that the Bills might have finally hit on the top-notch replacement they have been seeking since Jim Kelly's retirement 10 years ago.
Reason Three: J.P. Losman's knee injury, which opened the door for Edwards in Week 3, could take longer than the originally projected two weeks to heal. However, by the time Losman is healthy enough to play, Edwards could very well have permanently taken the job he once owned.

The Answer completely agrees with this assessment.:bow:

~The Answer

Kerr
10-04-2007, 06:47 AM
I am really glad that Edwards can hit the outlet receiver without a problem because I think the cowboys will try to blitz the hell out of him. I think Edwards will have a good game and gain a chunk of yardage from his outlets receivers because of the blitzes.

HHURRICANE
10-04-2007, 07:18 AM
I am talking about the outside chance JP starts after the Bye and plays well enough to keep his job...if your Marv...and you get a call for T Edwards for a #1 and #2...you have to think long and hard about that. Especially a team with so many need like the bills. If JP plays well thats great also...Marv gets what he wanted a good starter a capable back up....and value for a 3rd rounder.

Marv didn't want value for a 3rd rounder. He picked up a player that could start for us. If you haven't figured it out yet Marv is not a big JP fan.

MTBillsFan
10-04-2007, 07:27 AM
We've cleaned up most of TD's mistakes in just under two years...was JP the final one? Could the coaching staff just have been waiting for this to happen?

justasportsfan
10-04-2007, 09:18 AM
I think history shows that the more Ralph gets involved in decisions the better the team gets.

Lynch and Bruce Smith are just two of the first rounders that Ralph made the call on

The mans knows the game.Are you on drugs? That was all Polian . Ralphy got rid of Polian. He made the call to go with Robosack over Flutie .
Lynch was Modrak and MArv.

As far as Edwards goes it looks like he has that pegged right.
Do you agree ?
It's looking good so far but we shall see in time.

acehole
10-04-2007, 03:28 PM
He's handled that all on his own.

You got alot riding on this Skoob. I remember...(Probably before you were born) A GUY BY The name of Tod Collins who lit up Dallas one night on his first start. Guys like you were around to call him the next Joe Montana. Carful....hes handled it all on his own comment after one game is a little bit much...even for the wetest lickers and the homiest homers...

acehole
10-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Easier for the O-line to protect a pocket passer.

hahahaha. Your so wrong...ask d Bledsoe and B Farve that question.

Mitchy moo
10-04-2007, 03:41 PM
You got alot riding on this Skoob. I remember...(Probably before you were born) A GUY BY The name of Tod Collins who lit up Dallas one night on his first start. Guys like you were around to call him the next Joe Montana. Carful....hes handled it all on his own comment after one game is a little bit much...even for the wetest lickers and the homiest homers...

The Bills got alot riding on this as well.