PDA

View Full Version : Miffed Wilfork appeals low-hit fine

Ickybaluky
10-03-2007, 10:15 AM
From today's Boston Herald (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1035707):

Vince Wilfork decided to take on the NFL’s disciplinary wing, as he is appealing the $12,500 fine he incurred for the low hit on Buffalo Bills quarterback J.P. Losman on Sept. 23.

Wilfork revealed his intention to appeal the fine during his regular appearance on WEEI’s “Dale & Holley” show yesterday. The Pats nose tackle still believes he’s being unjustly portrayed as a dirty player because of the hit. He contends his elbow flung into Losman’s knee because he was pushed from behind and he had no control. He also believes he was dealt with too harshly by the NFL.

“I’ve sent it back to the league and I’m going to appeal it, hands down, I’m going to appeal it,” Wilfork said during the show. “The only thing people have against me is they question my arm. A lot of people want to question why my arm went out. I tell them the same thing. If I sit here and push you from behind, see what your arms do?

“But I’m moving forward with it. I’m very positive. My fans understand me. My wife understands me. I could care less what critics say about me. When you win, they love you. When you lose, they can make a name for themselves. I know that roller coaster ride. I have a valid reason out there (for an appeal). It all depends on how they look at it.”

Can't say I blame him. I thought it kind of severe considering he was shoved and off-balance when he fell into Losman.

Whaler53
10-03-2007, 10:48 AM
I agree NE39, 100%

good for him, he should appeal the fine, it was a silly fine anyhow. especcially since the thing that caused him to go into Lossman was an illegal block anyhow.

The King
10-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Its actually kind of silly that his fine was only 7K more than Dockerys for wearing the wrong color underwear.

mybills
10-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Me thinks thou doth protest too much. STILL!

mybills
10-03-2007, 12:57 PM
For those who have their sigs turned off..check out this pic. Freeze frames from the video. JP's feet are in the same spot. If he didn't jutt his elbow out further into JP's knee, it should've come down between JP's feet. http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o198/mybills/elbow.jpg
He threw his elbow out beyond the safe landing position, which turned his whole body (ass facing camera in the right pic) and now he's crying about being fined? What a loser. :cynic:

OpIv37
10-03-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm with mybills on this one- instead of trying to pull his arm close to his body (to avoid a wrist or shoulder injury) he extended it STRAIGHT towards Losman's knee.

Also, if he was pushed, where's the guy that pushed him? Seems to me he had a good 3 yards to try to fall away from Losman but made no effort to do that despite the ball being long gone. Initially, I didn't think it was that late, but when I watched the replay, it was clear that Losman had thrown the ball and even took a half step back and moved his upper body after the throw.

He was way late and extended his elbow RIGHT at the knee.

The appeal is just to save face and play the "I got screwed" card to avoid a reputation as a dirty player.

MikeInRoch
10-03-2007, 01:06 PM
The only people I hear indicating that it wasn't dirty are New England fans. I think that's telling.

DraftBoy
10-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Ive said numerous times its not dirty, so has FTY and Devin

mybills
10-03-2007, 01:35 PM
None of you have good perspective. :up:

DraftBoy
10-03-2007, 01:37 PM
None of you have good perspective. :up:

:rofl: thanks for the compliment

mybills
10-03-2007, 01:41 PM
:rofl: thanks for the compliment
:rofl: Thanks for the laugh

DraftBoy
10-03-2007, 01:50 PM
:rofl: Thanks for the laugh

anytime

justasportsfan
10-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Vince Wilfork decided to take on the NFL’s disciplinary wing, as he is appealing the $12,500 fine he incurred for the low hit on Buffalo Bills quarterback J.P. Losman on Sept. 23.

Wilfork revealed his intention to appeal the fine during his regular appearance on WEEI’s “Dale & Holley” show yesterday. The Pats nose tackle still believes he’s being unjustly portrayed as a dirty player because of the hit. He contends his elbow flung into Losman’s knee because he was pushed from behind and he had no control. He also believes he was dealt with too harshly by the NFL.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1035707

he's an idiot.

PromoTheRobot
10-03-2007, 02:28 PM
This guy is starting to believe his own BS. So he was just breaking his fall by sticking his arm out? I'd say maybe...if he was extending his hand out at the time. But instead he pulled his hand in so he would lead with his elbow. I ask you: How many people would break a fall by sticking their elbow out? That's why I know this a$$clown is lying.

Of course WEEI sports radio was reporting that Wilfork was fined for an "accidental hit" on Losman. No editorial bias there, eh?

PTR

Mitchy moo
10-03-2007, 02:29 PM
WTF is wrong with him?

Patrick76777
10-03-2007, 02:31 PM
I say they let him slide on it. Either that or we start a fund at the stadium. If it wasn't for him, we'd still be suffering with the loser at QB.

trapezeus
10-03-2007, 03:56 PM
is it possible for the NFL to get ticked at a stupid challenge and say, "oh by the way, you owe an additional $100,000 for the annoyance."? Could this happen?

The Spaz
10-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Yeah because you know when you fall you stick your elbow out?!

Billzz
10-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Give him the benefit of the doubt, he does like Buffalo as a team and wanted to come here..............

Ok BS aside fine him double for whining and triple for being on the patriots.

casdhf
10-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Marv wil give him an additional $12,500 bonus when he comes here as a FA.

im4bflo
10-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Cheap shot Wilfolk is a Class A - Ahole.
from a proven cheater team.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Hey Vince, nobody is saying you are a dirty player (yet) but that was a dirty hit. I am not a dog killer, but if I hit one with my car, I killed a dog.

Jan Reimers
10-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Wilfork doesn't have an elbow to stand on.

Billzz
10-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Hey Vince, nobody is saying you are a dirty player (yet) but that was a dirty hit. I am not a dog killer, but if I hit one with my car, I killed a dog.

Im a cat killa! I'm gonna burn n hell

mybills
10-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Wilfork doesn't have an elbow to stand on.
:rofl:

justa, this was posted in the nfl zone. For those who don't have their sigs turned on, I posted mine there.

YardRat
10-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Just pay the fine and quit whining like a little *****. He got off easy, IMO, considering the amount others get fined for piddly **** like uniform infractions, etc.

justasportsfan
10-03-2007, 04:55 PM
:rofl:

justa, this was posted in the nfl zone. For those who don't have their sigs turned on, I posted mine there.
sorry I barely go there and since it involves a bills player and Wilfork has "friends" on the team thought it wouldn't be a problem posting it here.

mybills
10-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Not a problem. I was just directing people to the pic. :;

raphael120
10-03-2007, 05:08 PM
What a duesche.

chernobylwraiths
10-03-2007, 05:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3POT8n2Qk3g

How anyone can call this not a cheap shot is beyond me.

LtFinFan66
10-03-2007, 05:40 PM
From today's Boston Herald (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1035707):

Can't say I blame him. I thought it kind of severe considering he was shoved and off-balance when he fell into Losman.but he clearly threw his elbow out into the knee. If someone shoves me from behind, I throw my arms straight out to break my fall. He will lose the appeal IMO

and I am a Fin Fan so I am unbiased

BAM
10-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Amazing. What a tool.

DynaPaul
10-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Wilfork didn't mean it and OJ didn't do it. Yeah right!

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-04-2007, 04:53 AM
Im a cat killa! I'm gonna burn n hell

I hear the h’orderves are good.

SquishDaFish
10-04-2007, 05:58 AM
GUILTY should be suspended

gr8slayer
10-04-2007, 06:00 AM
I hope that fat **** breaks his jaw eating a freaking Twinkie.

mybills
10-04-2007, 06:02 AM
but he clearly threw his elbow out into the knee. If someone shoves me from behind, I throw my arms straight out to break my fall. He will lose the appeal IMO

and I am a Fin Fan so I am unbiased
I don't know about him being shoved, but somebody did grab him by his feet. You can even see their hands on the ground in the picture on the right. I agree about him losing the appeal. They'll prolly have to watch the video again, which will make them laugh him right out of the room.

Ickybaluky
10-04-2007, 06:56 AM
I think if they watch the video the fine gets cut to $7,500. It is pretty obviously just a bad play, not any intention to injure.

STAMPY
10-04-2007, 07:02 AM
I think if they watch the video the fine gets cut to $7,500. It is pretty obviously just a bad play, not any intention to injure.

Says the patriots defendant. Shocking! Let me guess Bill Bellicheck also was confused by a misinterpretation of the rules.

DarbyTheDinosaur
10-04-2007, 07:02 AM
I say they let him slide on it. Either that or we start a fund at the stadium. If it wasn't for him, we'd still be suffering with the loser at QB.

Classless.

STAMPY
10-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Patrick i'm happy Trent is QB and this is the way we found out. But based on principle, it was a cheap shot. It is blatant. Grab my legs as i fall i'm not extending my elbows that way. It isn't natural and u'd hurt urself more if you are trying to break fall with your elbows.

BUT YES TE=STARTER. JP = NO LONGER A BILL NEXT YEAR!

don137
10-04-2007, 07:10 AM
Its not like this is the first time Wilfork played dirty against the Bills...Lets face it Wilfork is a dirty player...If it looks like a fish, smells like a fish maybe its a fish...

Mahdi
10-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Ok if the freeze frame pics arent enough for you then I dont know what is.... Theres no point in arguing with someone who has a biased view.

mybills
10-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Ok if the freeze frame pics arent enough for you then I dont know what is.... Theres no point in arguing with someone who has a biased view.
The gravity of those pictures tells you he's bias. :snicker:

Ickybaluky
10-04-2007, 08:00 AM

It think people who take a full speed NFL play and watch it in super slo-mo and try to analyze intent are just as biased, not to mention silly. You are looking for something, and thus your interpretation is biased.

The game isn't played in Super Slo-mo. Wilfork was trying to hit the QB and was knocked off balance. He wasn't even looking at him because he was knocked sideways. He didn't have time to think, he just reacted by trying to hit him. He ended up hitting him in the knee, which was a bad play, but it isn't like he had time to think about it. That isn't dirty, it is part of the game.

This play happens all the time, it is just that guys aren't always hurt. You people are so looking for something where there is nothing. Sometimes guys are going to get hurt, but that doesn't make it intentional. There was a flag thrown and he was fined (rather severely for a first-time offense). End of story.

Tony Romo
10-04-2007, 08:18 AM
your team has no credability to me, and most other fans across americe.
you've been caught cheating,
you have the dirtiest player in the game, and love him.
your coach is a dick who never even apologized to the fans for cheating.
if you polled america on if they would be suprised if you were cheating now, im sure many would say they wouldn't.
wan't there talk about funny things happening with headsets too in that jets game? but alas the NFL quickly destroyed all evidence and slapped the wrist of its favorite team.

in my opinion, the fact that the NFL destroyed the evidance so quickly, is because it showed that they cheated in either, a whole lot of games, like since belicheat arrived, or they're superbowls.(or both) and goodell didn't want what the NBA are going through times 100.

and alot of the player might not have known about the cheating.. but brady did. he was the coaches connection to the players.

and people wonder why goodell gave wade wilson a 5 game suspension for trying to improve his quality of life, after diabetes. and merely slapped the pats on the wrist?? well it was kraft that was one of the main owners pulling for goodell for comish.. don't bite the hand that feeds you, no matter how biased it is.

mybills
10-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Actually, Tony, he DID apologize to the Pats fans. They accepted.

He wasn't even looking at him because he was knocked sideways.

um, the left pic shows him looking. JP put his hand on his helmet (which you would do too, if it meant helping him go to the ground and not into you) then in the right pic (after the elbow comes up) his head is turned away. Do you not know anything about perspective angles?

Ickybaluky
10-04-2007, 08:42 AM
um, the left pic shows him looking. JP put his hand on his helmet (which you would do too, if it meant helping him go to the ground and not into you) then in the right pic (after the elbow comes up) his head is turned away. Do you not know anything about perspective angles?

I'm sure in the little fantasy world you live in that all makes sense. I'm not sure how you draw all that from that picture.

If you watch the play he gets knocked sideways and sticks his arm out. He isn't even looking.

As for JP putting his hand on his helmet, that never happened. If you watch the play live JP was looking to see if the ball is caught. He never saw Vince coming and didn't get to brace himself in any way.

You really have to watch the play live to get a sense for what happened. You can try to analyze it to find the guy on the grassy knoll, but at the end of the day it was a simple football play. It was a bad play by Wilfork, but not an intentional effort to injure anyone.

mybills
10-04-2007, 08:52 AM
As for JP putting his hand on his helmet, that never happened.

Take off the rose colored glasses, click on, and look at this picture. I don't have photoshop, so it isn't altered.

justasportsfan
10-04-2007, 09:01 AM
No matter how you spin or dice it, it was dirty.

Mahdi
10-04-2007, 09:20 AM
It think people who take a full speed NFL play and watch it in super slo-mo and try to analyze intent are just as biased, not to mention silly. You are looking for something, and thus your interpretation is biased.

The game isn't played in Super Slo-mo. Wilfork was trying to hit the QB and was knocked off balance. He wasn't even looking at him because he was knocked sideways. He didn't have time to think, he just reacted by trying to hit him. He ended up hitting him in the knee, which was a bad play, but it isn't like he had time to think about it. That isn't dirty, it is part of the game.

This play happens all the time, it is just that guys aren't always hurt. You people are so looking for something where there is nothing. Sometimes guys are going to get hurt, but that doesn't make it intentional. There was a flag thrown and he was fined (rather severely for a first-time offense). End of story.
Full speed or not doesnt matter, the fact is in the 2nd shot his arm is higher. Why would it be higher? AND once again, why is his arm in the protruding elbow position to begin with? No one chicken wings a fall! If I want to protect myself while landing I land on the face of my shoulder flat on the ground not extending my arm or elbow. The fact is you cant answer those questions yourself but at least we have evidence. What possible explanation can you give? How can Wilfork deny that his elbow was positionned the way it was? HE CANT and niether can you. And the full speed explanation means nothing because even when I fall at full speed I dont stick out my arm that way. In fact the full speed explanation only proves our point more. If he was moving as fast and innocent as you claim then why didnt he land more naturally? Seems to me he knew he was going down and he intentionally stuck out his elbow. This is the NFL my friend players can accomplish all kinds of things while falling, such as sticking a ball out for a TD, making a circus catch, making a shoe-lace tackle OR a last second cheap shot at a QB.

justasportsfan
10-04-2007, 09:27 AM
I was watching inside NFl last night. Farve was still getting hit over and over again as he released the ball. No flags. Defenders were either pushed into him or whatever you wanna call it. They eithr tackled or pushed him but none of them hit Farve with their elbows on the knee.

Ickybaluky
10-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Full speed or not doesnt matter, the fact is in the 2nd shot his arm is higher. Why would it be higher?

Because he was trying to hit him, which was the point of rushing the passer. He was off balance and falling, so the hit landed on the knee, but it wasn't intentional.

It was a bad play by Wilfork, because the play was late and low. However, with the intensity of inside play it isn't easy to stop and think.

The bottom line is he didn't have time to think, he was just reacting after getting shoved and losing his balance. There is nothing more to it.

Ickybaluky
10-04-2007, 09:42 AM
I was watching inside NFl last night. Farve was still getting hit over and over again as he released the ball. No flags. Defenders were either pushed into him or whatever you wanna call it. They eithr tackled or pushed him but none of them hit Farve with their elbows on the knee.

QBs get hit low all the time. That is why they made it a penalty.

justasportsfan
10-04-2007, 09:44 AM
QBs get hit low all the time. That is why they made it a penalty.
and none of them stuck their arm out into the knee. Thanks for making my point.... again :D .

Ickybaluky
10-04-2007, 09:50 AM
and none of them stuck their arm out into the knee. Thanks for making my point.

He his him with his arm because he was falling sideways after getting shoved.

Bottom line is this type of play happens. The Kiko Von Hofelman play where Carson Palmer was hurt was similar. That wasn't a dirty hit either, just an unfortunate one. It wasn't a case of trying to hurt someone, but because it happened low the QB got hurt in the knee.

The problem is that plays like this are part of the game. Guys are going to be off-balance and land on people awkwardly. There is a difference between that and intentionally going after someone's knees. If Wilfork wasn't shoved off-balance and just intentionally dove at his knees you would have a point, but that wasn't the case.

MikeInRoch
10-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Because he was trying to hit him, which was the point of rushing the passer.

This alone would be a reason for a fine. The ball was LONG gone, and he was still trying to hit him.

justasportsfan
10-04-2007, 10:05 AM
He his him with his arm because he was falling sideways after getting shoved.

Bottom line is this type of play happens. The Kiko Von Hofelman play where Carson Palmer was hurt was similar. That wasn't a dirty hit either, just an unfortunate one. It wasn't a case of trying to hurt someone, but because it happened low the QB got hurt in the knee.

The problem is that plays like this are part of the game. Guys are going to be off-balance and land on people awkwardly. There is a difference between that and intentionally going after someone's knees. If Wilfork wasn't shoved off-balance and just intentionally dove at his knees you would have a point, but that wasn't the case.
the Dl had his arm wrapped around him that isn't shoving.. The video doesn't lie. and again I'm sure Wilfork has fallen humerous times to know you don't let your elbow break your fall. Stick your elbow out in basketball game on any player it turns into a boxing match.

Mahdi
10-04-2007, 10:12 AM
The Kiko Von Hofelman play where Carson Palmer was hurt was similar. That wasn't a dirty hit either, just an unfortunate one.

Ok those 2 hits are not similar at all. Kimo wrapped his arms around Carson's leg to try and wrap him up but since he only managed to get one leg so all of Kimo's weight was on that one leg which caused it to bend hard. Wilfork just plain threw out an elbow at the side of Losman's knee. And for for the Millionth time you dont sack a QB with your elbow, you use your hands and arms so its pointless to insist that he was just making a last second effort to hit Losman legally.

Whaler53
10-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Because he was trying to hit him, which was the point of rushing the passer. He was off balance and falling, so the hit landed on the knee, but it wasn't intentional.

It was a bad play by Wilfork, because the play was late and low. However, with the intensity of inside play it isn't easy to stop and think.

The bottom line is he didn't have time to think, he was just reacting after getting shoved and losing his balance. There is nothing more to it.

Exactly.
The thing is, I agree with you 100 %, but at the same time I can see the Bills fans' reactions to it as well. If it had been Brady who had that happen to him, we'd be crying foul as well, IMO. But at the end of the day, it wouldn't be a dirty hit. It would be a bad play, but not a dirty one.