What's up with these opening the offense for JP comments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpdex12
    • Jan 2005

What's up with these opening the offense for JP comments?

There is a lot of griping about Fairchild not opening the offense up for JP. Well, when you look at the box scores from each of our games so far it doesn't look like Fairchild opened up the defense against the Jets any differently then he did the previous three games. Yes the tempo of the games were different in that we were playing catch up against Pitt and NE but the Den game was close and we held the lead.

Jets Game
    28 rushes for 86 yards
    22 for 28 passing with 218 yards

NE Game
    27 rushes for 110 yards
    11 for 21 passing for 83 yards

Pitt Game
    22 rushes for 102 yards
    15 for 25 passing for 121 yards

Den Game
    26 rushes for 112 yards
    14 for 21 passing for 72 yards.

So the media is claiming that the Bills opened things up by passing 3 more attempts than the Pitt game or 7 more attempts in the Den game? That isn't what I would call opening things up. Denver's defense isn't great either and JP struggled. I think that the short passes that TE was hitting were no different than the short passes that JP was attempting unsuccessfully in all of the previous games. TE threw that long ball into the endzone that was picked off and that was the only LONG ball I saw other than a few 20-25 yard completions.
    I wonder if this open things up stuff from JP was really some kind of scape goat trick to take the heat off of him? TE's dink and dunked it against the Jets.

I like JP and I was rooting for him to get a fair chance, but as far as I am concerned...let the best QB win! If his injury plays him out of Buffalo and TE shows that he has "IT", then so be "IT".

Just win baby! Win with scrubs on this team and get it done with heart so this group of die hard Bill's fans can revive themselves. Who is to say that this isn't the opportune time to show the nation that you can dump water on us but you can't put the fire out. Imagine this kid #5 playing a mistake-free game and a group of fill ins that just want to play their hearts out on defense and we stun the Cowboys in the national spotlight in front of Al Michaels, Big Man Madden and 30 million viewers?

Let the 12th man yell and give them Bills as much help as possible!

If not now, when? Come Monday night, where else would you rather be then right there and then?

If it is meant to be #5's team then we will see come Monday night.

Let's go Buffalo! (clap, clap, clap, clap, clap)
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: What's up with these opening the offense for JP comments?

you might wanna take that up with the players including the wrs who questioned the playcalling after the 2nd game. Not that Jp nor the wrs are without fault.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Philagape
      WIN NOW
      • Jul 2002

So what did the Bills mean when they said they would open up the offense before the Pats game?
      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• jpdex12
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Philagape
        So what did the Bills mean when they said they would open up the offense before the Pats game?
        Honestly, I don't know. JP mentioned it, Evans mentioned it, even DJ hinted at it, but when you look at the stats that I placed in the opening thread nothing pops out to me that leads you to believe that we threw the ball 50 times in the game and only ran it 18 times. That to me is opening up the offense. No huddles, two minute offense, constant 4 wide sets, yada, yada...

We did throw a few more times on certain downs that we might have ran it before, but this wasn't an opened up Indy style offense.

What does this tell you as a fan? I'd say that players were grasping at excuses for their play on offense. Either they started to click against a weak Jets defense or TE sparked the offense with his poise, command and accuracy.

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jpdex12
          Honestly, I don't know. JP mentioned it, Evans mentioned it, even DJ hinted at it, but when you look at the stats that I placed in the opening thread nothing pops out to me that leads you to believe that we threw the ball 50 times in the game and only ran it 18 times. That to me is opening up the offense. No huddles, two minute offense, constant 4 wide sets, yada, yada...

We did throw a few more times on certain downs that we might have ran it before, but this wasn't an opened up Indy style offense.

What does this tell you as a fan? I'd say that players were grasping at excuses for their play on offense. Either they started to click against a weak Jets defense or TE sparked the offense with his poise, command and accuracy.
          Then you indeed have a different definition
          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• jpdex12
            • Jan 2005

None of you birds thinks that this whole open the offense thing is wierd? From those stats we saw...no indication. TE didn't throw 40 passes in that game.

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

Nine of his first 12 plays were passes. They used the spread formation more. More called rollouts the past 2 weeks.

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• jpdex12
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Philagape
                Nine of his first 12 plays were passes. They used the spread formation more. More called rollouts the past 2 weeks.
                Good point, but in the end the offense stayed on the filed longer than the three and outs and the passes to run plays weren't much different.
                They may have opened it up but not too much. How can our staf allow a friggin rookie to throw his first nine plays and not JP in previous games? Is it because TE completed the passes and avoided the three and outs?

It makes you wonder why our offense has sputtered up until then. The more I talk and think about this the more I think that they are nervous about JP.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                  • Apr 2003

Good point, but in the end the offense stayed on the filed longer than the three and outs and the passes to run plays weren't much different.
                  They may have opened it up but not too much. How can our staf allow a friggin rookie to throw his first nine plays and not JP in previous games? Is it because TE completed the passes and avoided the three and outs?

It makes you wonder why our offense has sputtered up until then. The more I talk and think about this the more I think that they are nervous about JP.

im a JP supporter but if bills brass on any level had reservations about JP and are nervous then cut him loose. playing scared with JP was comical the first couple games.

and the point of run pass to me comes down to situational play. i wouldnt expect many throws if winning by 2-3 scores wait the bills havent done that lol. but in seriousness i have no clue about scheme or gameplan the first couple weeks. regardless if people want to buy it or not we was very lucky to win last week. even with the 22 for 28 we only scored 17 and if not for a few big plays on D we would have been in trouble. FAIRCHILD STILL HAS ALOT OF QUESTIONS TO ANSWER REGARDLESS OF WHO THE QB IS!!!!!!!

Comment

• The Answer
                    The Plagiarist
                    • Mar 2007

There is a lot of griping about Fairchild not opening the offense up for JP. Well, when you look at the box scores from each of our games so far it doesn't look like Fairchild opened up the defense against the Jets any differently then he did the previous three games. Yes the tempo of the games were different in that we were playing catch up against Pitt and NE but the Den game was close and we held the lead.

Jets Game
                    28 rushes for 86 yards
                    22 for 28 passing with 218 yards

NE Game
                    27 rushes for 110 yards
                    11 for 21 passing for 83 yards

Pitt Game
                    22 rushes for 102 yards
                    15 for 25 passing for 121 yards

Den Game
                    26 rushes for 112 yards
                    14 for 21 passing for 72 yards.

So the media is claiming that the Bills opened things up by passing 3 more attempts than the Pitt game or 7 more attempts in the Den game? That isn't what I would call opening things up. Denver's defense isn't great either and JP struggled. I think that the short passes that TE was hitting were no different than the short passes that JP was attempting unsuccessfully in all of the previous games. TE threw that long ball into the endzone that was picked off and that was the only LONG ball I saw other than a few 20-25 yard completions.
                    I wonder if this open things up stuff from JP was really some kind of scape goat trick to take the heat off of him? TE's dink and dunked it against the Jets.

I like JP and I was rooting for him to get a fair chance, but as far as I am concerned...let the best QB win! If his injury plays him out of Buffalo and TE shows that he has "IT", then so be "IT".

Just win baby! Win with scrubs on this team and get it done with heart so this group of die hard Bill's fans can revive themselves. Who is to say that this isn't the opportune time to show the nation that you can dump water on us but you can't put the fire out. Imagine this kid #5 playing a mistake-free game and a group of fill ins that just want to play their hearts out on defense and we stun the Cowboys in the national spotlight in front of Al Michaels, Big Man Madden and 30 million viewers?

Let the 12th man yell and give them Bills as much help as possible!

If not now, when? Come Monday night, where else would you rather be then right there and then?

If it is meant to be #5's team then we will see come Monday night.

Let's go Buffalo! (clap, clap, clap, clap, clap)
                    The whole 'opening up the offense' is just another pointless excuse for the Losman lovers - bottom line, you can't open up an offense for a QB that doesn't have the skill and ability to take advantage of that.

Yes Losman can throw it deep - but The Answer has seen way too many erratic throws and one hoppers to know Losman can't make the intermediate/short throws consistently - The Young Gun however has been doing this with authority since preseason.

~The Answer

Comment

• Philagape
                      WIN NOW
                      • Jul 2002

They said they were going to open up before the Pats game, so they intended it for JP too.

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

People want to ignore one simple fact. Edwards made some small completions that kept the line of scrimmage moving forward. That in turn opens up things for other plays.

How many times do we need to watch JP have a hard time completing the 5 yarder?

If you go to every fan site where a team is struggling with QB the conversation always leads to the poor job that the OC is doing opening up the playbook.

Comment

• raphael120
                          Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                          • Oct 2005

The short to mid passes make everything else open up for you. If you give no reason for the defense to respect the pass, they're going to hurt you in the run game, what Edwards did was say, ok, you can put 7,8 guys in the box, and im going to throw over your heads, and youll have to adjust, and you know what, we're going to give the ball to Lynch then and make him bust off big gains because at that point...the OFFENSE is dictating to the defense because you have so many options of what youre going to do with the ball because you SHOW the defense that we WILL throw on you and you WILL get burned. Not once did JP show that he could be dangerous...what the defense did was dictate to our offense, they said, "were taking away lee evans, now what are you going to do?" the answer? absolutely nothing...we couldnt move the ball once evans was covered, JP didnt even attempt to use the tight ends, he underthrew, overthrew...etc... We were one dimensional, and at times, we had no dimensions...our running game stunk because the defense knew that JP was no threat. the knock on JP was his accuracy in short to mid range...and it's shown in every single game he's played, and TE coming in and playing his way and being accurate and consistantly moving the chains is such a big change of scenery, it's like...whoa...I'm not familiar with THESE Bills...so...I hope we do more of the same vs. the Cowboys because as much as people think the Cowboys are good, it's offense is the only part of the ball that is really dominating, their defense is good, but it's no New England, Steelers, or Denver (as far as CB's go)...

I think Edwards should be able to move the ball just as well, and I think with his feet wet, he'll improve upon the Jets game, and I think the playcalling and the way we use Lynch will change also, because the coaches have seen what Edwards is capable of, and I think you'll see the playbook open up even more this week, and weeks following as long as Edwards keeps digesting the new information and keeps executing. Im very excited about this game and I hope it's entertaining no matter the outcome, but I can only imagine how Bills nation will feel if we win again...all of a sudden, we wont be talking about draft picks anymore and we'll be talking about actually doing something this season.

Comment

• DarbyTheDinosaur
                            • Dec 2004

1. There is more to playcalling than "pass" or "run".

2. People tend to criticize the OC and Head Coach because they run the show...the buck stops there...yadda yadda yadda. It just like the media will go after a president of a country for something somebody on his staff did or you complain to a manager for poor customer service. If the guys in charge are not finding success, they are doing something wrong...

3. Trent is the QB this week, Fairlchild is the OC, so who cares? Let's see how the Dallas game goes. Why finger point after a win (and only one game)?
                            You people are depressing me...try this out so my doctor can take me off my meds!!!

op·ti·mism

1.a disposition or tendency to look on the more favorable side of events or conditions and to expect the most favorable outcome.

2.the belief that goodness pervades reality.

Comment

• Elminster
                              #1 Kelsay Fan
                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by DarbyTheDinosaur
                              1. There is more to playcalling than "pass" or "run".

2. People tend to criticize the OC and Head Coach because they run the show...the buck stops there...yadda yadda yadda. It just like the media will go after a president of a country for something somebody on his staff did or you complain to a manager for poor customer service. If the guys in charge are not finding success, they are doing something wrong...

3. Trent is the QB this week, Fairlchild is the OC, so who cares? Let's see how the Dallas game goes. Why finger point after a win (and only one game)?
                              A game against the Jets, at that. The Cowgirls are in a different league entirely.

One thing that was apparent to me: we ran a lot more "quick" passes against the Jets. It seems to me that early on, we ran a lot of "slow" patterns. Our receivers tend to be fast and have a quick initial burst, and are more likely to achieve seperating quickly than if they run something that takes a while to develop. It also helped that the Jets seemed to be in a zone and we actually attacked the gaps in it. The difference is that we ATTACKED, and ran aggressive routes, whereas when JP was in there we seemed to sit back and wait for something to happen. Whether that is a difference of faith, a product of us playing a weaker team(relative past competition), or god knows what else, it worked. I hope we stick with it, but I have a sinking feeling we'll revert to the conservative BS now that we're playing a good team....
                              Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

Working...
                              X