PDA

View Full Version : What is it about Edwards?

jpdex12
10-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Anticipation? That is the buzz word for this Monday's game. Not because it's our first Monday night game in 13 years but because of what could happen to the direction of our team.

A 23 year old kid, a 3rd round pick from 3,000 miles away who has the gleaming endorsement from one of the brightest and most liked men in the land of football. Walsh left Stanford in 1979 for the 49ers as Elway was just entering Stanford. He scouted Elway. Walsh coached Montana in San Fran. Walsh kept close tabs with Stanford teaching in their graduate school of business while eaves dropping in on the football program. He knew Elway, he knew Montana and he knew Edwards.

I think that there are a lot of us fans that don't dislike JP, but have strong hidden feelings that he just doesn't seem like a fit with us. Lack of consistancy, sometimes jittery feet, lack of accuracy and not the strongest interview. On the same hand we are starving for solid QB play.

I don't know what it is but there is just something about Edwards that gets the mind churning. This is premature with so little that we have seen of him but listen to his 7 minute and 31 second PC on BB.com and tell me he doesn't sound like a friggin 4 year vet. Every answer is right on point. He never studders or grasps for words. He knows exactly what he wants to say and he says it. He uses terminology not of a rookie. His answers are detailed and he even has a sense of humor. Honest, believable, non-arrogant characteristics.

I have hardly ever seen poise in a rookie like he showed on the field against the Jets. There wasn't one bit of nervousness that you could see in him and after he threw that TD pass his giddy dance afterward on his way to Gaines in the endzone showed his passion and excitement for the moment. Not to mention the confidence that the coaches have in him for the type of play calling in the game.

We are all kidding ourselves if we don't believe that this kid is the Bill's future. I wish we had stability at the QB position. I thought we were on our way to stability with JP, but I have serious doubts and I think that the coaches do as well.

Do you remember thinking how poised JP looked in his first NFL start? I don't because I didn't. Hold onto your seats!

BILLSROCK1212
10-03-2007, 10:23 PM
he did go to Stanford....not only is that a good college but that bad football team made him a better player

jpdex12
10-03-2007, 10:33 PM
It might turn out to be a blessing that he had lousy players around him because Walsh said that he was very solid mechanically and mentally. The bad team that he was on may have caused many teams to over look him.

I don't think that we are going to be disappointed!

Tony Romo
10-03-2007, 10:54 PM
its great to see you guys happy with your young quarterback.

just fair warning, when he does work out.. all the teams with no young talented QB will hate you for it..

trust me.

jpdex12
10-03-2007, 11:07 PM

just fair warning, when he does work out.. all the teams with no young talented QB will hate you for it..

trust me.

Like Jerry Jones is hating that double edged sword?

The Answer
10-04-2007, 12:39 AM
Anticipation? That is the buzz word for this Monday's game. Not because it's our first Monday night game in 13 years but because of what could happen to the direction of our team.

A 23 year old kid, a 3rd round pick from 3,000 miles away who has the gleaming endorsement from one of the brightest and most liked men in the land of football. Walsh left Stanford in 1979 for the 49ers as Elway was just entering Stanford. He scouted Elway. Walsh coached Montana in San Fran. Walsh kept close tabs with Stanford teaching in their graduate school of business while eaves dropping in on the football program. He knew Elway, he knew Montana and he knew Edwards.

I think that there are a lot of us fans that don't dislike JP, but have strong hidden feelings that he just doesn't seem like a fit with us. Lack of consistancy, sometimes jittery feet, lack of accuracy and not the strongest interview. On the same hand we are starving for solid QB play.

I don't know what it is but there is just something about Edwards that gets the mind churning. This is premature with so little that we have seen of him but listen to his 7 minute and 31 second PC on BB.com and tell me he doesn't sound like a friggin 4 year vet. Every answer is right on point. He never studders or grasps for words. He knows exactly what he wants to say and he says it. He uses terminology not of a rookie. His answers are detailed and he even has a sense of humor. Honest, believable, non-arrogant characteristics.

I have hardly ever seen poise in a rookie like he showed on the field against the Jets. There wasn't one bit of nervousness that you could see in him and after he threw that TD pass his giddy dance afterward on his way to Gaines in the endzone showed his passion and excitement for the moment. Not to mention the confidence that the coaches have in him for the type of play calling in the game.

We are all kidding ourselves if we don't believe that this kid is the Bill's future. I wish we had stability at the QB position. I thought we were on our way to stability with JP, but I have serious doubts and I think that the coaches do as well.

Do you remember thinking how poised JP looked in his first NFL start? I don't because I didn't. Hold onto your seats!

The Young Gun just 'has it' - an intangible you really can't put into words. Also don't forget he is 23 years old (soon to be 24 later this month), most rookie QB's nowadays leave college early and enter the league at 20/21 - so it takes a few years for them to develop. Also who cares about where he was picked - granted he was rated as high as a 1st rounder by a lot of scouts - but we all know the failure rate of 1st round picks anyway in recent years. Let's also consider he was on a very bad team in college and being under constant duress behind a bad line enabled him to fine tune his game, hence the quick release and precision passing.

But you hit the nail right on the head - this kid has the poise and football intelligence of a 5 year veteran and is going to be something special. And The Answer honestly believes he will be the best QB to come out of this draft class when it's all said and done.

It's about time something finally goes our way!

~The Answer

TacklingDummy
10-04-2007, 05:23 AM
Trent Edwards is the only chance the Bills have.

X-Era
10-04-2007, 06:14 AM

I remember seeing poise like that from a youngster before in their first game....Ryan Fitzpatrick for St Louis. Where is he now?

Mitchy moo
10-04-2007, 06:29 AM

trust me.

We have some of our own people on here that hate us for being happy with Trent, it's pretty sad actually. They hold onto a dream that JP might actually be somebody and he will, somebody's backup.

mybills
10-04-2007, 06:33 AM
We have some of our own people on here that hate us for being happy with Trent, it's pretty sad actually. They hold onto a dream that JP might actually be somebody and he will, somebody's backup.
What a stupid post. Nobody here "hates" Trent. You're confusing HATE with PATIENCE. Would you dive into a pond without knowing how shallow the water is? :shakeno:

The King
10-04-2007, 06:37 AM
What a stupid post. Nobody here "hates" Trent. You're confusing HATE with PATIENCE. Would you dive into a pond without knowing how shallow the water is? :shakeno:

Cause I am an awesome diver?

Mitchy moo
10-04-2007, 06:44 AM

Pond no but we swam with Trent already, he played great. I personally need things to look forward to and I cannot bear to think about seeing JP play another game. I am sick of losing and Trent seems like the closest thing we have had to Kelly since. Maybe some of you like abuse and want to hang on for a better day with JP but it's not going to come, he's as lost as all who follow him.

mybills
10-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Pond no but we swam with Trent already, he played great. I personally need things to look forward to and I cannot bear to think about seeing JP play another game. I am sick of losing and Trent seems like the closest thing we have had to Kelly since. Maybe some of you like abuse and want to hang on for a better day with JP but it's not going to come, he's as lost as all who follow him.
That's a half stupid post. We are all sick of losing. Again, nobody said they "hate" Trent. I don't even see anyone saying they "love" JP. It is just a stupid thing that some people use as an argument for supporting Trent. IMO, JP isn't as bad as people keep saying, and Trent seems to be excelling as good as people keep saying. But the fact still remains, that we only beat the Jets. Patience comes from the week leading up to playing a better team than the Jets. Anticipation is for a MNF game, a rookie QB, Hargrove most likely being back, etc. I'm looking forward to watching the whole team play, not just Trent. I believe that makes me a Bills fan. :up:

mybills
10-04-2007, 07:23 AM
Cause I am an awesome diver?
Against a crappy pond? Yes.

Historian
10-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Would you dive into a pond without knowing how shallow the water is? :shakeno:

If productivity is the water in this little false analogy, then JP's pond never really had any water in it.

And define patience.

Isn't four seasons enough?

If he doesn't have it by now....

Tony Romo
10-04-2007, 07:43 AM

lol that made me laugh in RL..

who dives into ponds anyway?

mybills
10-04-2007, 07:47 AM
If productivity is the water in this little false analogy, then JP's pond never really had any water in it.

And define patience.

Isn't four seasons enough?

If he doesn't have it by now....
Why aren't you bothered by the fact that we only beat a crappy team? JP beat crappy teams, too. That proves the argument, doesn't it? :dizzy:

mybills
10-04-2007, 07:49 AM

Maybe Dallas doesn't have ponds, or divable ones, but RI does. They're everywhere.

jpdex12
10-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Why aren't you bothered by the fact that we only beat a crappy team? JP beat crappy teams, too. That proves the argument, doesn't it? :dizzy:

JP didn't beat crappy teams in his first year...

jpdex12
10-04-2007, 02:45 PM

Frogs and rednecks!

jpdex12
10-04-2007, 02:46 PM

Is this like some kind of sewage treatment pool or something?

jpdex12
10-04-2007, 02:48 PM
I remember seeing poise like that from a youngster before in their first game....Ryan Fitzpatrick for St Louis. Where is he now?
We shouldn't compare TE to Ryan. Everyone is different. Did you think that same way about Ben Rothlisberger before he ripped off 15 wins in a row or something like that after his first rookie start?

Philagape
10-04-2007, 02:49 PM
JP didn't beat crappy teams in his first year...

JP beat a crappy team in his first start

Mitchy moo
10-04-2007, 02:49 PM

Carl Spackler??

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPH/170973~Bill-Murray-Posters.jpg

Mitchy moo
10-04-2007, 02:50 PM
We shouldn't compare TE to Ryan. Everyone is different. Did you think that same way about Ben Rothlisberger before he ripped off 15 wins in a row or something like that after his first rookie start?

But he had a huge offensive line and a great RB...... oh wait so do we.

X-Era
10-05-2007, 07:05 AM

You say to not compare him and then you do it too.

Look the point is only that we can take very little from this game on his long term success. He has to go and prove it every damn week. He will have ups and downs but its really simple:

If he cant go head to head with and beat the leagues best, we need to keep looking or we wont ever go where we gotta go.

JP hasnt done enough to be our hands down starter, Trent looked better. Hes gonna start again against a great opponent, if he can capitalize, keep him in. If not, we have a real tough predicament on our hands.

I will always root for either Losman or Trent if they are starting. I want Trent to succeed. Id love for him to become our star. But we cant turbocharge the bandwagon just yet... Many of us made that mistake before with JP (including me).

jpdex12
10-05-2007, 07:28 AM
You say to not compare him and then you do it too.

Look the point is only that we can take very little from this game on his long term success. He has to go and prove it every damn week. He will have ups and downs but its really simple:

If he cant go head to head with and beat the leagues best, we need to keep looking or we wont ever go where we gotta go.

JP hasnt done enough to be our hands down starter, Trent looked better. Hes gonna start again against a great opponent, if he can capitalize, keep him in. If not, we have a real tough predicament on our hands.

I will always root for either Losman or Trent if they are starting. I want Trent to succeed. Id love for him to become our star. But we cant turbocharge the bandwagon just yet... Many of us made that mistake before with JP (including me).

100% agreed.