PDA

View Full Version : McGee vs Greer

northernbillfan
10-04-2007, 12:33 PM
I just finished rewatching that game and McGee's a bum who's crappy play was saved by that last INT.

One play does not get him out of the doghouse. He had blown coverage all game and was ineffective for the most part.

Greer on the other hand had the best game of his career. He also had one INT but was in the face and deflecting passes all over the place. Oh and Greer's INT was more of a game saver than McGee's.

OpIv37
10-04-2007, 12:35 PM
I've never been thrilled with McGee at corner, but I didn't think he played particularly bad agains the Jets. He did give up some underneath stuff, but Pennington does that to everyone.

The Answer
10-04-2007, 12:36 PM
I just finished rewatching that game and McGee's a bum who's crappy play was saved by that last INT.

One play does not get him out of the doghouse. He had blown coverage all game and was ineffective for the most part.

Greer on the other hand had the best game of his career. He also had one INT but was in the face and deflecting passes all over the place. Oh and Greer's INT was more of a game saver than McGee's.

Agreed - McGee is garbage. Hi saving grace is ST play but even that has tailed off the last few years.

DB is definitely going to be a priortiy in the offseason, most likely via FA or in the 1st/2nd round.

~The Answer

northernbillfan
10-04-2007, 12:37 PM
I guess my point was that he's not the savior that people are making out to be. After rewatching the game he was more of a goat than a gamer.

im4bflo
10-04-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm very impressed with Greer, and McGee does get burned,
so I guess I agree with you 100%

streetkings01
10-04-2007, 12:39 PM
He's better suited as the nickle IMO! Hopefully Butler can regain his form and be a starter for us, while Greer and Youboty battle it out for the other side! Wow remember when we had Clements and Winfield on the same team???? Boy those were the days!

OpIv37
10-04-2007, 12:41 PM
I guess my point was that he's not the savior that people are making out to be. After rewatching the game he was more of a goat than a gamer.

yeah, like Schobel he made one big play at the end, although I'd say Schobel had a bad game until that play and McGee had a mediocre game until that play.

I don't think McGee is good enough at corner to be the #1 like he is now. Really, in 3 seasons, 2005 was his only decent year at corner. In 2004, he was the weak link in a D that was otherwise solid, and in 2006 he just sucked.

raphael120
10-04-2007, 12:50 PM
You pretty much suck as a starting CB when you have no INTs to show for yourself all last year and some guy who never started at CB in his life can get one.

northernbillfan
10-04-2007, 12:54 PM
yeah, like Schobel he made one big play at the end, although I'd say Schobel had a bad game until that play and McGee had a mediocre game until that play.
Crowell had a better game than Schobel

justasportsfan
10-04-2007, 12:56 PM
neither are no.1 cb's. Greer got burned against scrubs in the last couple of games in preseason which is why he got beat by Youboty when Webster went down.

Mahdi
10-04-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm very impressed with Greer, and McGee does get burned,
so I guess I agree with you 100%
Lets keep something in perspective here. When do any of our corners get beat deep? NEVER. Thats because they are coached to play off the receivers and allow the underneath stuff and thats what Coles was getting on McGee but he never made any big plays. The Jets are known for throwing short a lot with Pennington taking 1, 2 and 3 step drops. The Bills knew that and allowed it knowing that eventually a mistake is made and the drive ends, thats our philosophy on D. And it makes sense because not a lot of teams can go 12-14 plays mistake free. To summarize, McGee played well enough to win which is all we need, he had that big pass break-up on McCairens deep down the sideline and then the pick at the end. The rest was dink and dunk which is no big deal.

trapezeus
10-04-2007, 01:45 PM
mcgee did break up a nice pass near the endzone in the 4th quarter. he's spotty at best. also he was playing with bruised cartilidge in his ribs. that's why he wasn't particularly explosive on Kickoffs like he normally is.

i'm not against upgrading his spot, but he's definitely had worse games.

Oaf
10-04-2007, 02:41 PM

It's about time someone saw it my way. His "play" was because of Schobel anyways, and he was thoroughly abused the rest of the game.

As for Greer, anyone see that on the fake spike play, he was the only one moving? He actually had great coverage and a hand on the ball, but Coles made a spectacular catch above him.

LtBillsFan66
10-04-2007, 02:43 PM
McGee played fine. Looked to me like a lot of passes were completed over the middle.

mybills
10-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Greer & MaGee :up:
Youboty :down:

DraftBoy
10-04-2007, 02:45 PM
McGee is a great KR guy but an avg at best cover corner. Id be all for upgrading this posistion.

mchurchfie
10-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Greer & MaGee :up:
Youboty :down:
Youboty is still young and going through his growing pains, he will be better than both of them within the next few years. Greer has more natural instincts as a corner than McGee. I knew we were in trouble when they penciled Mcgee in as our number one corner right from the beginning. He has never impressed me as a corner.

don137
10-04-2007, 03:03 PM
I think McGee is a much better athlete than a cornerback...His athleticism lets him overcome many of his deficiencies at the DB position thus making him just an adequate DB.

mchurchfie
10-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Bingo.

mybills
10-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Youboty hasn't impressed me..yet..still..I'm waiting. I won't give him a thumbs up until he does. MaGee is only 5'9"..and shouldn't play CB with all of the tall receivers that are in the league. He still plays his heart out, and I can't fault him for that.

gr8slayer
10-04-2007, 03:48 PM
I've been wanting Greer over McGee for sometime now, I'm glad he's finally getting his chance!

gr8slayer
10-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Youboty hasn't impressed me..yet..still..I'm waiting. I won't give him a thumbs up until he does. MaGee is only 5'9"..and shouldn't play CB with all of the tall receivers that are in the league. He still plays his heart out, and I can't fault him for that.
Yeah, Youboty pretty much sucks so far, I sure hope he pulls his head out of his ass and gets it going soon.

mchurchfie
10-04-2007, 04:29 PM
You have remember that this is pretty much Youboty's rookie year as last year was a wash. I think he has all the tools to be a good one and he might excel more in a man to man scheme rather than all of this zone defense.

justasportsfan
10-04-2007, 04:32 PM
You have remember that this is pretty much Youboty's rookie year as last year was a wash. I think he has all the tools to be a good one .
it's almost like you're talking about Losman in his second year.

mchurchfie
10-04-2007, 04:33 PM
it's almost like you're talking about Losman in his second year.
Pretty much.:ill:

Hamilton Billsfan
10-04-2007, 05:11 PM
You pretty much suck as a starting CB when you have no INTs to show for yourself all last year and some guy who never started at CB in his life can get one.

If our D is going to get better then our newer, younger players need to step it up. I see that in Greer. He may not be a savior but if keeps playing with enthusiasm and takes care of his part of the field it's got to help the team in the long run.:popcorn:

Throne Logic
10-04-2007, 05:48 PM
In my eyes, Greer was clearly the best DB in preseason and in the first 4 games. No other DB was as consistently disruptive as he has been.

I do not understand why Greer was not starting when we opened the season. I'm further baffled as to why they keep trying to plug someone else in that spot. We've watch him step in and play very solid ball each time the "starter of the week" goes down. He is a playmaker and deserves his chance to start.

northernbillfan
10-05-2007, 08:12 AM
In my eyes, Greer was clearly the best DB in preseason and in the first 4 games. No other DB was as consistently disruptive as he has been.

I do not understand why Greer was not starting when we opened the season. I'm further baffled as to why they keep trying to plug someone else in that spot. We've watch him step in and play very solid ball each time the "starter of the week" goes down. He is a playmaker and deserves his chance to start.Good summary of the point I was trying to get across.

TigerJ
10-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Interestingly, when McGee came out of college the knock on him in scouting reports was that he couldn't backpedal. It appears he still has technique problems. I'm interested to see how Jerimetriuis Butler does. Youboty has potential and has done some good things. We need to see more out of him. I have been impressed by Greer. He definitely has the ability to stay with people. When he matched up on Randy Moss, his coverage was always good. The problem with receivers like Randy Moss is he presents such a physical missmatch against most DBs. We'll face something of the same thing versus Dallas in Terrell Owens.

mybills
10-05-2007, 09:40 AM
What "good" things?

Meathead
10-05-2007, 09:41 AM
what about mcgees breakup of the long sideline pass to mccariens. that was pretty key at the time

btw whats the status on yerbooty is he gonna play

JDSmith
10-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Question, do you assign a CB to a specific receiver or just line them up left and right? Will someone be given the job of shadowing TO, and if so who will it be?

Kal-El
10-05-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm prejudiced because Jabari is my favorite Bill, but ...

GREER HAD A SOLID GAME, especially considering the circumstances in which he was thrown into it. You don't get Conference Defensive Player of the Week honors for an average effort.

Will there be times when Greer gets beaten, as McGee did last Sunday? Sure, but I think Jabari will make a helluva lot more great plays than bad ones.

Throne Logic
10-05-2007, 10:24 AM
With our lack of a consistent pass rush, no DB currently playing in the league is going to make it through an entire game without giving up something.