PDA

View Full Version : Hockey Related Question

gr8slayer
10-04-2007, 03:45 PM
What the hell are the lines on the ice for? Obviously they serve a purpose but I couldn't seem to figure it out last night... :idunno:

Philagape
10-04-2007, 03:51 PM
What the hell are the lines on the ice for? Obviously they serve a purpose but I couldn't seem to figure it out last night... :idunno:

A player can't cross the other team's blue line before the puck does (offsides)

A player can't shoot the puck from his side of the center red line past the other team's goal line (icing, although in the NHL it's nullified if a player on the same team touches the puck before a player on the other team does)

gr8slayer
10-04-2007, 03:53 PM
A player can't cross the other team's blue line before the puck does (offsides)

A player can't shoot the puck from his side of the center red line past the other team's goal line (icing)
So how do they differentiate a pass from a shot?

OpIv37
10-04-2007, 03:56 PM

if you shoot from your side of the red line, it isn't going in anyway.

But if the goalie touches it, the icing is waived off.

gr8slayer
10-04-2007, 03:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/gr8slayer/IceHockeyRink.gif

gr8slayer
10-04-2007, 03:57 PM
So what are the red lines by the goalie called and what's their purpose?

Philagape
10-04-2007, 04:02 PM

Usually it's not a "shot" as we think of it .... usually it's a missed pass. If the last player to touch it is from the team that's defending the other end, it's icing. But the idea is to prevent players from shooting it that far, or else it would be like a game of bubble hockey.

Oh and during a penalty, the shorthanded team can legally ice the puck.

Philagape
10-04-2007, 04:03 PM
So what are the red lines by the goalie called and what's their purpose?

You mean the goal lines? That's what the puck has to cross to be a goal, and it's part of the icing rule.

gr8slayer
10-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Usually it's not a "shot" as we think of it .... usually it's a missed pass. But the idea is to prevent players from shooting it that far, or else it would be like a game of bubble hockey.

Oh and during a penalty, the shorthanded team can legally ice the puck.
Ah ok, thank you very much for explaining all of that.

Now will a mod delete/lock this thread before the flaming begins? Thanks.....

gr8slayer
10-04-2007, 04:04 PM
You mean the goal lines? That's what the puck has to cross to be a goal, and it's part of the icing rule.
Yeah, I noticed last night that behind the goalie is where all the action is.

Philagape
10-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Plus, there's a rule that was instituted just last season that says the goalie can't handle the puck in the corners behind the goal line.

gr8slayer
10-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Plus, there's a rule that was instituted just last season that says the goalie can't handle the puck in the corners behind the goal line.
Very interesting. Was that an issue before?

Philagape
10-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I noticed last night that behind the goalie is where all the action is.

Yeah one of the cooler plays is when a puck is sliding down the ice and there's a race to see which team touches it first to determine whether it's icing or not.

Philagape
10-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Very interesting. Was that an issue before?

The league thought that goalies were getting too good at playing the puck, that it was like having an extra skater. Personally I think it's a stupid rule.

gr8slayer
10-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Yeah one of the cooler plays is when a puck is sliding down the ice and there's a race to see which team touches it first to determine whether it's icing or not.
Yeah! I saw one of the guys with the Stars get ROCKED behind the goalie net last night. Freaking ugly.

gr8slayer
10-04-2007, 04:12 PM
The league thought that goalies were getting too good at playing the puck, that it was like having an extra skater. Personally I think it's a stupid rule.
Interesting. I do wish there was more scoring though, the game got a bit boring at times.

BlackMetalNinja
10-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Read, Learn, Love :up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey

http://www.phantomshockey.com/kids/rulesofhockey.asp

JD
10-04-2007, 05:37 PM
The only thing they should do to have more goals in the game is SMALLER GOALIE PADS.

The goalies look like members of a ****ing bomb squad!

JD
10-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Gr8, so when you going to add a sabres icon to your sig? :D

BlackMetalNinja
10-04-2007, 06:37 PM
The only thing they should do to have more goals in the game is SMALLER GOALIE PADS.

The goalies look like members of a ****ing bomb squad!

Actually, there has been much talk of widening the goal in response to the increased size of pads. Goalies aren't afraid of any shots anymore, they don't have any places left without padding really, unlike 20 years ago.

hydro
10-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Actually, there has been much talk of widening the goal in response to the increased size of pads. Goalies aren't afraid of any shots anymore, they don't have any places left without padding really, unlike 20 years ago.

Funny thing is Luongo threatened to retire if the NHL instituted bigger nets. Too me that seems like going to far to make a point.

Valerie
10-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Are you new to learing the rules of hockey, Gr8slayer? I'm fairly new too! :buddies: I have a piece of paper showing the layout of the ice and I write things I need to know on it. I also went to a hockey seminar for women only at the Verizon Center where the Caps play and I learned even more! Although I still get confused. But, when I do, I call Ticat and he helps me out.

Always remember, no question is dumb! :)

JD
10-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Yeah I've heard this.. but I feel it WILL lead to more injuries. Make the shoulder pads smaller, leg pads as well and SMALLER JERSEY so it doesnt look like a robe!

Question.. have you guys ever seen bostons small goalie? His helmet has curves going outward on each side, probably has stopped a goal or two... the NHL should put restrictions to stuff like that.

I'll try and find a pic.