X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

My Top-5 Bills MNF Games Remembered

The Buffalo Bills have played a total of 37 games on Monday Night Football since the NFL began the tradition of the primetime matchup. Their first MNF game was played the same year I was born (1973), which means I obviously don't remember most of them. So, to be fair, I'm only going to include games played since the 1988 season as I compile my Top-5 Bills Monday Night Football games remembered. Any games played before that time were played at a time I was either too young to remember or not old enough to understand the implications of what I was witnessing.

So, here they are. My Top-5, counting down to #1. After reading them, post your best Bills Monday Night Memories in this thread.

Let the debates begin:

#5) 10/2/95 at Cleveland; Bills 22 Browns 19
    -This game was more memorable because of what it signified to Cleveland Browns fans and not because of anything the Bills did, other than win the game. It was announced just a few days before this matchup that Browns owner Art Modell was moving his team out of Cleveland and to Baltimore, where they would become the Ravens. Of course the city of Cleveland had another team granted to them by the NFL, but it was without football for four years. I remember watching that game, seeing the anger and despair on Browns' fans faces and realizing at that very moment just how truly awful it would be if the Bills ever left Buffalo.

#4) 10/4/99 at Miami; Bills 23 Dolphins 18
    -Living in Florida at the time of his game, I attended with several other Bills fans and friends. It was a night in which the Bills were more prepared to play a football game than I had seen in a very long time. Part of the reason for that was the team was beaten by these same Dolphins in this same stadium in the previous season's playoffs and they were determined to avenge that loss. Doug Flutie was the quarterback, the defense played tremendous, and the game wasn't as close as the score indicated. After the game, we walked out of the stadium with our chests out and our Bills gear worn proudly.

#3) 10/16/89 home vs. LA Rams; Bills 23 Rams 20
    -Jim Kelly was injured. Backup Frank Reich was to make his first of many memorable starts for the Bills. The Rams came to town undefeated at 5-0. The deck seemed stacked against the Bills. But in front of over 76,000 fans at Rich Stadium (now Ralph Wilson Stadium), Reich rallied the Bills in the fourth quarter for a 23-20 victory. Reich also started the next two Bills games, beating both the Dolphins and Jets in front of the home crowd.

#2) 9/24/90 at NYJ; Bills 30 Jets 7
    -No one knew it at the time, but the Bills had just begun a season in which they would reach the Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history. The Dolphins drubbed Buffalo 30-7 in week two, setting the stage for an angry Bills team playing on MNF in New York the following week. Thurman Thomas ran for a career high 214 yards in a 30-7 victory over the Jets, and kick-started the Bills on an eight-game winning streak. Thomas' night still remains third on the all-time Monday Night Football rushing yardage performance list.

#1) 10/17/88 at NYJ; Bills 37 Jets 14
    -The Bills had not appeared on MNF in four years. They were a bad and boring football team during that span and didn't warrant any prime time exposure. But all that changed when Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett, and others arrived. Thomas was only a rookie, and "Biscuit" Bennett had arrived only a year earlier. Personally, I was a 15 year-old diehard fan who went to my older brother's dorm at Buffalo State College to watch the game with him and his roommates. The Bills exploded on the Jets early. Kelly threw for 261 yards and three TDs...........in the first half! He finished the game with 302 yards passing and the Bills ripped the Jets 37-14 at the Meadowlands. It was the first of two MNF appearances for the Bills that 1988 season. They trashed the Dolphins in Miami less than a month later, 31-6, setting a club record for the fewest points allowed in a Monday Night contest (since tied on 10/20/97 at Indianapolis).

The victory over the Jets was the catalyst that put the Bills on the national radar of NFL fans and television networks. Counting that contest, the team went on to appear in 25 MNF games over the next 13 seasons. Since then, it has been almost seven seasons since the Bills kicked off on Monday Night Football.

Will the game against the Dallas Cowboys on Monday Night, October 8, 2007, serve as another springboard for Bills appearances on the league's most recognizable night? Will it find its way into a future "top-5" Bills MNF games column? Hopefully, we won't have to wait another seven years to find out.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • mchurchfie
    • Jul 2002

Re: My Top-5 Bills MNF Games Remembered

The 90' Jets game was great. Bruce Smith had a field day that night. He put so many moves the the guy blocking him he almost forced him into retirement.
    My Band
    daveviterna.com

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Coach Sal
      Living in Florida at the time of his game, I attended with several other Bills fans and friends. It was a night in which the Bills were more prepared to play a football game than I had seen in a very long time. Part of the reason for that was the team was beaten by these same Dolphins in this same stadium in the previous season's playoffs and they were determined to avenge that loss. Doug Flutie was the quarterback, the defense played tremendous, and the game wasn't as close as the score indicated. After the game, we walked out of the stadium with our chests out and our Bills gear worn proudly.
      During this game I was a server at Shula's steakhouse in Fla. I was atually serving Don . He really didn't care much for the fins at this time because of his huge dislike for Jimmy Johnson. He did however get a trip out of me cheering everytime the bills made a play. I was the only one in the dining area cheering for the bills. You shoulda sen the faces on the peoplein the entire place . they obviously weren't happy with me

While you go to walk out with your chest out, I got utensils thrown at me by the kitchen employess who were finfans. I think one of them was a butcher knife . Good times.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Beating the Raiders with Ahmad Rashad to break Oakland's perfect record on Monday night.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• John Doe
          Florida Man
          • Jul 2002

October 29, 1973.

Bills 23 Kansas City 14

An up and coming Bills team led by a running back who was setting the league on fire for 2003 yards beats an old nemisis convincingly.

You want atmosphere? It was a cross between a Beatles concert and a WWF match.

Comment

• Coach Sal
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by John Doe
            You want atmosphere? It was a cross between a Beatles concert and a WWF match.
            That's a great analogy.

And a great visual.
            Click to listen:

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Comment

• MTBillsFan
              • May 2003

93 or 94 against Houston I just remember it being 28-7 us at some point like at half time? Also, a game against Miami around then give or take a coupe of years... by the end of the game, the only fans left at Joe Robbie were chanting "lets go Buffalo!"

Help me on those dates!
              Send me some wings!

Comment

• Patrick76777
                • Jul 2002

-This game was more memorable because of what it signified to Cleveland Browns fans and not because of anything the Bills did, other than win the game. It was announced just a few days before this matchup that Browns owner Art Modell was moving his team out of Cleveland and to Baltimore, where they would become the Ravens. Of course the city of Cleveland had another team granted to them by the NFL, but it was without football for four years. I remember watching that game, seeing the anger and despair on Browns' fans faces and realizing at that very moment just how truly awful it would be if the Bills ever left Buffalo.

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][B]

I was at this one in Cleveland. It was the night before the OJ verdict. Crazy.

Only I seem to remember that Modell announed the move about a week later.
                Resign our own guys!

Comment

• madness
                  • Apr 2003

-Jim Kelly was injured. Backup Frank Reich was to make his first of many memorable starts for the Bills. The Rams came to town undefeated at 5-0. The deck seemed stacked against the Bills. But in front of over 76,000 fans at Rich Stadium (now Ralph Wilson Stadium), Reich rallied the Bills in the fourth quarter for a 23-20 victory. Reich also started the next two Bills games, beating both the Dolphins and Jets in front of the home crowd.
                  10/8/07 home vs. Dallas Cowboys; Bills 23 Cowboys 20
                  -JP Losman was injured. Backup Trent Edwards was to make his second of many memorable starts for the Bills. The Cowboys came to town undefeated at 4-0. The deck seemed stacked against the Bills. But in front of over 76,000 fans at Ralph Wilson Stadium, Edwards rallied the Bills in the fourth quarter for a 23-20 victory. Edwards also started the next Bills game after their bye week, beating the Ravens in front of the home crowd.

Comment

• Coach Sal
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Patrick76777

I was at this one in Cleveland. It was the night before the OJ verdict. Crazy.

Only I seem to remember that Modell announed the move about a week later.
                    You're right. The official announcement did not come until November.

But my memory of that game was that it was already "out there," and widely speculated that the team was moving. The Browns fans were not the same that night.
                    Click to listen:

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

The Buffalo Bills have played a total of 37 games on Monday Night Football since the NFL began the tradition of the primetime matchup. Their first MNF game was played the same year I was born (1973), which means I obviously don't remember most of them. So, to be fair, I'm only going to include games played since the 1988 season as I compile my Top-5 Bills Monday Night Football games remembered. Any games played before that time were played at a time I was either too young to remember or not old enough to understand the implications of what I was witnessing.

So, here they are. My Top-5, counting down to #1. After reading them, post your best Bills Monday Night Memories in this thread.

Let the debates begin:

#4) 10/4/99 at Miami; Bills 23 Dolphins 18
                      -Living in Florida at the time of his game, I attended with several other Bills fans and friends. It was a night in which the Bills were more prepared to play a football game than I had seen in a very long time. Part of the reason for that was the team was beaten by these same Dolphins in this same stadium in the previous season's playoffs and they were determined to avenge that loss. Doug Flutie was the quarterback, the defense played tremendous, and the game wasn't as close as the score indicated. After the game, we walked out of the stadium with our chests out and our Bills gear worn proudly.

#2) 9/24/90 at NYJ; Bills 30 Jets 7
                      -No one knew it at the time, but the Bills had just begun a season in which they would reach the Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history. The Dolphins drubbed Buffalo 30-7 in week two, setting the stage for an angry Bills team playing on MNF in New York the following week. Thurman Thomas ran for a career high 214 yards in a 30-7 victory over the Jets, and kick-started the Bills on an eight-game winning streak. Thomas' night still remains third on the all-time Monday Night Football rushing yardage performance list.

#1) 10/17/88 at NYJ; Bills 37 Jets 14
                      -The Bills had not appeared on MNF in four years. They were a bad and boring football team during that span and didn't warrant any prime time exposure. But all that changed when Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett, and others arrived. Thomas was only a rookie, and "Biscuit" Bennett had arrived only a year earlier. Personally, I was a 15 year-old diehard fan who went to my older brother's dorm at Buffalo State College to watch the game with him and his roommates. The Bills exploded on the Jets early. Kelly threw for 261 yards and three TDs...........in the first half! He finished the game with 302 yards passing and the Bills ripped the Jets 37-14 at the Meadowlands. It was the first of two MNF appearances for the Bills that 1988 season. They trashed the Dolphins in Miami less than a month later, 31-6, setting a club record for the fewest points allowed in a Monday Night contest (since tied on 10/20/97 at Indianapolis).

The victory over the Jets was the catalyst that put the Bills on the national radar of NFL fans and television networks. Counting that contest, the team went on to appear in 25 MNF games over the next 13 seasons. Since then, it has been almost seven seasons since the Bills kicked off on Monday Night Football.

Will the game against the Dallas Cowboys on Monday Night, October 8, 2007, serve as another springboard for Bills appearances on the league's most recognizable night? Will it find its way into a future "top-5" Bills MNF games column? Hopefully, we won't have to wait another seven years to find out.
                      Coach Sal, fantastic post. good times down memory lane.

That Reich game was awesome. i was too young to stay up the whole night. i remember the next morning i went down to breakfast and my dad was like, "they won." and i was just stunned. going to school was impossible becaus ei just wanted to come home and see the highlights.

Your post draws a lot of parallels to previous years of excellence. i hope those are all telling signs of playing the jets, getting on monday night and beating a better team with our backups. i'm really looking forward to monday night, win or lose.

Comment

• evol4276
                        • Oct 2005

i dont remember any games really.. with the exception of 99 i was freakin young as hell haha

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                          • Jul 2002

Mine was October 26, 1992: Buffalo Bills 24, New York Jets 20. Kelly to Beebe to set up Kelly to Thurman in the last seconds of the game for the win. I was there at the Meadowlands with 50 yardline seats first row on the second level (probably the best seats in the stadium) to witness.

Comment

• RedEyE
                            • Jul 2002

I don't remember the exact date, but it was early 90s and the Bills were penalized at least 3 times for excessive crowd noise. It was so bad at one point that they had to cut to commercial. The entire stadium was chanting B U L L S H * T in unison. Rich stadium packed it 80+ thousand then. That place was going nuts. I even remember Bruce Smith actually trying to calm the crowd down to avoid any further penalties!! What a great time to be a Bills fan

That was a great memorable game and I believe the Bills were playing the Raiders.

Comment

• JD
                              Sabres Zone
                              • Sep 2003

#3) 10/7/07 home vs. Cowboys; Bills 23 Cowboys 20
                              -JP Losman was injured. Backup Trent Edwards was to make his second of many memorable starts for the Bills. The Cowboys came to town undefeated at 4-0. The deck seemed stacked against the Bills. But in front of over 76,000 fans at Ralph Wilson Stadium, Edwards rallied the Bills in the fourth quarter for a 23-20 victory.

*fixed
                              “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

Working...
                              X