X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Wade discusses his "tenure" with the Bills

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

This is a pretty interesting video that actually highlights Wade Phillips time in Buffalo. I like the guy. Always have and always will. I think that when he was fired in Buffalo it was a mistake that Ralph made based on Wade's respect and loyalty to his coaching staff.

The other one big thing that sticks out that season is Flutie being benched on the last game of the season becasue Rob Johnson had a 4 TD day against the Colts in a game that meant nothing to the Bills. I always thought that was complete and utter BS. Even though Rob played well and nearly won the game against the Titans (See Music City Miracle). Flutie had won 10 or 11 games that season and was stabbed in the back IMO.
  • mchurchfie
    • Jul 2002

Re: Wade discusses his "tenure" with the Bills

Wade was a good coach but he handled the Qb situation horribly.
    My Band
    daveviterna.com

Comment

• Dont drink the water
      • Oct 2005

His signing of his buddy with no special teams experience is what cost him his job. He could have created an assistant job if that was all he wanted to do was find him employment. Notice how Jones did not allow him bring him on Dallasss Cowpokes staff - it is the job of the GM to reject poor coaches from being hired by head coach.

Ronnie Jones even lost his job in college because he started a multi-level marketing scheme from his office. Talk about embarrassing.

Comment

• Cntrygal
        Visually stunning but camera-shy.
        • Jul 2002

In an article posted on the front page, Wade said that he didn't know "he quit" (per RW)... if he had known that sooner - he'd still be in Buffalo.
        Originally posted by notacon
        The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• DynaPaul
          • Sep 2003

What else could Ralphie have done? He told Wade to fire the guy and he said no. You don't just tell your boss no. Ralph would have been viewed as soft if he had allowed that. Yes, it was a tough situation but when you got an incompetent coach, the owner recognizes it, and tells you to tell that coach to beat it you better do it. Sometimes you have to know which battles to fight. For Wade, that wasn't one of them. Really it kind of falls on Phillips. I liked Phillips as a coach but he pretty much lined himself in front of the firing squad and dared them to pull the trigger. Yeah, we lost out on the coaching end and Wade found success elsewhere but let's not view this past situation as some colossal blunder.

Comment

• RedEyE
            • Jul 2002

I want a coach with a big brass set on this team. Who do you have more respect for? Mularkey or Phillips? I don't know about the rest of you but I'll go with the guy that's willing to stand up for himself and what he believes in each and every time. Not the guy that runs out of town with his tail between his legs.

Then Ralph trys to cheap out by saying that Wade quit. If Ralph was such a great guy why twist the knife? Just let him go and pay out his contract.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by RedEyE
              I want a coach with a big brass set on this team. Who do you have more respect for? Mularkey or Phillips? I don't know about the rest of you but I'll go with the guy that's willing to stand up for himself and what he believes in each and every time. Not the guy that runs out of town with his tail between his legs.

Then Ralph trys to cheap out by saying that Wade quit. If Ralph was such a great guy why twist the knife? Just let him go and pay out his contract.
              It should never gotten to that point. Both are to blame for it and RW should of sat down with him during the offseason and talked it all out. It wasn't like we weren't doing OK at the time and the titans ended up losing to a very good team in St. louis in the SB by one score (or foot depending on who you are asking).

Comment

• lordofgun
                in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

WADE WAS HORRIBLE!!!!!!

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Stewie
                  Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                  • Aug 2002

Wade won 30 games over three years in Buffalo. If 11 guys could cover a kick, he'd have been here a lot longer. I'd have taken that over Donahoe Williams and Mularkey anyday.
                  Originally posted by Topdog
                  Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                  Originally posted by mercyrule
                  I love Weiner.
                  Originally posted by mercyrule
                  also cheese

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
                    The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dont drink the water
                    \

Ronnie Jones even lost his job in college because he started a multi-level marketing scheme from his office. Talk about embarrassing.
                    DDTW- do you have a link to that story? I'd like to read more about it

Thanks!
                    In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• realdealryan
                      realdealrex
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mchurchfie
                      Wade was a good coach but he handled the Qb situation horribly.
                      Yeah

But then again, we haven't had a quarterback make the position "unquestionable" since Jim Kelly...

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                        Maybe?
                        • Oct 2003

Ralph's biggest f'ups in Bills history:

3. Firing Wade
                        2. Hiring TD
                        1. Firing Polian

Had he not fired Polian, we'd have an SB win by now. Had he not fired Wade I think we'd have at least been in the playoffs for a bunch of years and considered a respectable team, not a joke.

Comment

• lordofgun
                          in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

Wade is clueless.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

I'm waiting for TO and Homo to get into a pissing match, see how Wade eff's up handling the situation, and watching the Cowboy's season go down the toilet.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• northernbillfan
                              Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
                              I'm waiting for TO and Homo to get into a pissing match, see how Wade eff's up handling the situation, and watching the Cowboy's season go down the toilet.
                              I'd like to see that on Prime Time football!. Hmmm, how about Monday night?
                              When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X