PDA

View Full Version : Bills want Lynch in on the passing game

YardRat
10-05-2007, 05:23 AM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071005/SPORTS03/710050337/1007/SPORTS

The Buffalo Bills took a step in the right direction offensively last week when quarterback Trent Edwards was able to get the tight ends more involved in the passing game.

Robert Royal and Michael Gaines combined to catch seven balls, production unmatched since Sept. 29, 2002 when Buffalo beat Chicago 33-27 in overtime and Jay Riemersma and Dave Moore teamed up to snare seven passes.

Next on the plate of offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild is finding a way to integrate the pass-catching talents of rookie running back Marshawn Lynch.

"Anytime we can get the ball in Marshawn's hands, whether he's running the ball or catching it, it's great for the team," Royal said. "He's one of our best threats on the team, so whenever we can get the chance to get the ball in his hands we should do it."

Through the first quarter of the season, the Bills haven't done a very good job of that. Lynch, who came to Buffalo with a reputation as an excellent receiver out of the backfield, has just five receptions for 36 yards. He was blanked against the Jets.

"There's no question we've been working on it, it just hasn't happened," Fairchild said. "We probably haven't given him enough opportunities, and sometimes coverage dictates it. But he certainly has abilities and we're trying to grow in that direction."

There are a number of things factoring into Lynch's lack of a passing game role.

First of all, Fairchild said, the offense as a whole has struggled to do anything as it ranks 31st in total yards, passing yards and scoring.
"Up until last week we hadn't been functioning in any aspect, it's not just Marshawn in the passing game," Fairchild said.

Night Train
10-05-2007, 05:26 AM
"Up until last week we hadn't been functioning in any aspect, it's not just Marshawn in the passing game," Fairchild said.

I wonder what changed ? The QB perhaps ?

mybills
10-05-2007, 05:59 AM
Maybe what JP & the WR's said, is finally sinking in.

casdhf
10-05-2007, 06:16 AM
Having a QB that will actually throw to a check down has something to do with it.

mybills
10-05-2007, 06:18 AM
I think it's both. :up:

Mitchy moo
10-05-2007, 06:21 AM
I wonder what changed ?

The coaches faith.

Historian
10-05-2007, 06:34 AM
TE is a WCO QB. (I can't believe I just typed that)

Makes perfect sense to me.

:ontome:

Romes
10-05-2007, 07:03 AM
Having a QB that can actually throw to a check down has something to do with it.

fixed :up:

Cntrygal
10-05-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm happy when the gameplan is to "play to win" - let's utilize every weapon.

justasportsfan
10-05-2007, 01:41 PM
whats more important than Lynch getting involved in the passing game is his ability to block when the the cowboys constantly blitz Edwards on Monday. We're not playing the jets D and Fairchild better come up with a better plan than what we had against the jets.

historypete
10-05-2007, 01:46 PM
We've heard this ever since Lynch has been drafted. At this point I'll believe it when I see it.

Fairchild seems incapable of getting Marshawn in matchups against LB's or Safties. In training camp they ran a number of plays where Marshawn would line up in the slot or run a wheel route out of the backfield, but they haven't done it yet, and that falls on the coordinator to scripts plays where he has Marshawn running specifically designed routes to create mismatches.

Now since we seem to be taking baby-steps in the right direction on offense maybe he'll get more opportunities as a reciever this week. We did finally get the TE's involved last week and they had been talking about that for months also.

justasportsfan
10-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Lynch is gonna have his hands full just trying to run against the leagues 7th ranked rush D.

HHURRICANE
10-05-2007, 01:52 PM
We've heard this ever since Lynch has been drafted. At this point I'll believe it when I see it.

Be careful. You'll be called a "Bills Basher" for being 100% accurate.

This team is all about "what you say" and not "what you do."

Until I see it on the field it's all cheap talk.

B-DON
10-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Be careful. You'll be called a "Bills Basher" for being 100% accurate.

This team is all about "what you say" and not "what you do."

Until I see it on the field it's all cheap talk.

It's usually this way with every head coach or front office. You will never get the truth.

Goobylal
10-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Fairchild blows. I've tired of him after just a little over a year.

acehole
10-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the good read. However why did it take 4 weeks to get a clue.....
on spreading the ball around and opening the offense up....poor JP.

Steve Fairchild is a shoe maker finding his way in the dark...

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071005/SPORTS03/710050337/1007/SPORTS

The Buffalo Bills took a step in the right direction offensively last week when quarterback Trent Edwards was able to get the tight ends more involved in the passing game.

Robert Royal and Michael Gaines combined to catch seven balls, production unmatched since Sept. 29, 2002 when Buffalo beat Chicago 33-27 in overtime and Jay Riemersma and Dave Moore teamed up to snare seven passes.

Next on the plate of offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild is finding a way to integrate the pass-catching talents of rookie running back Marshawn Lynch.

"Anytime we can get the ball in Marshawn's hands, whether he's running the ball or catching it, it's great for the team," Royal said. "He's one of our best threats on the team, so whenever we can get the chance to get the ball in his hands we should do it."

Through the first quarter of the season, the Bills haven't done a very good job of that. Lynch, who came to Buffalo with a reputation as an excellent receiver out of the backfield, has just five receptions for 36 yards. He was blanked against the Jets.

"There's no question we've been working on it, it just hasn't happened," Fairchild said. "We probably haven't given him enough opportunities, and sometimes coverage dictates it. But he certainly has abilities and we're trying to grow in that direction."

There are a number of things factoring into Lynch's lack of a passing game role.

First of all, Fairchild said, the offense as a whole has struggled to do anything as it ranks 31st in total yards, passingIt isds yards and scoring.

Nighthawk
10-05-2007, 08:13 PM

First of all, Fairchild said, the offense as a whole has struggled to do anything as it ranks 31st in total yards, passing yards and scoring.

How about keeping him on the field for 3rd downs and not letting that pile of crap Thomas in the game? That would be a huge start! But then again, this is the Bills coaching staff, so nothing surprises me.

Mad Bomber
10-05-2007, 09:37 PM
whats more important than Lynch getting involved in the passing game is his ability to block when the the cowboys constantly blitz Edwards on Monday. We're not playing the jets D and Fairchild better come up with a better plan than what we had against the jets.
Lynch has not shown himself to be good at picking up blitzes. I'd just as soon see him chip a blitzing LB and peel off for a screen pass. That's something that the Bills have NOT done this year, and could get some serious positive yardage.

raphael120
10-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Minnesota can get AP the ball in the passing game, with a lesser Oline and a lesser QB throwing him the ball.

With Lynch being toted as such a recieving threat...uh...we're still waiting.

Mad Bomber
10-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Dammit, they had BETTER get Lynch into the passing game.

Jim Kelly got Thurman into the passing game. That didn't suck....

Marshawn can be a real asset to the passing game not only as a screen/safety valve receiver, but as a wide receiver, split out and going either downfield or underneath. He has serious YAC potential.

PECKERWOOD
10-05-2007, 10:30 PM
I think they should develope Lynch first as a runner and then second as a reciever. I want him to master running the ball inbetween the tackles before we start calling fancy passing plays.

Mad Bomber
10-05-2007, 11:55 PM
I think they should develope Lynch first as a runner and then second as a reciever. I want him to master running the ball inbetween the tackles before we start calling fancy passing plays.
There is nothing "fancy" about a screen pass. 31 out of 32 teams in the NFL do it (except for us). There are also about 180 college football teams that do it on a regular basis. And about 20,000 high school teams.

It's a really good weapon when teams are blitzing against you.

You see, their linebackers and defensive linemen are in your backfield. (you know, you kind of let them think they're getting a free run at your QB)...if you can get the ball over their heads to your stud running back behind them, it sometimes turns into a positive gain. Once you do that a few times, it sort of tempers their enthusiasm towards all-out blitzes.

It's really quite simple. Nothing fancy.

Spiderweb
10-06-2007, 04:19 AM
I wonder what changed ? The QB perhaps ?

Maybe, or maybe it was the Jets defense......

Historian
10-06-2007, 06:30 AM
It seems to me that the Bills are running a west coast offense with Edwards, because it takes better advantage of his skill set.

Keep in mind Wash's endorsement of TE to Levy.

Why do you think Walsh liked him?

Because his skills reminded him of Montana, the master of the WCO. They threw a lot to the rbs too.

When JP is in there, they go to a vertical passing game, ala the Raiders, because his best asset, is the deep ball.

I think more will be revealed this Monday, but it does show one thing...that the coaches are trying to build a scheme to match the skills of the QB, as opposed to the other way around.

I gotta give them credit for that at least.

jamze132
10-06-2007, 06:57 AM
I don't think Thurman Thomas lit it up his first season either.

I wouldn stop taking Lynch out of the game and substituting Thomas whenever we are going to throw the ball. Lynch is never going to get any better if he isn't on the field. This entire season needs to be dedicated to Lynch getting better so next year, barring any significant injuries, the RB spot will be the least of our worries.

mybills
10-06-2007, 09:19 AM
It's really quite simple. Nothing fancy.
Yeah, just ask Tom Brady. :snicker:

Buckets
10-06-2007, 10:22 AM

[/I]

He's the OC I hope he is capable of comming up with something. They (Marve, DJ and Fairchild) have only known about his pass catching abilities since before the draft.

YardRat
10-06-2007, 11:39 AM
I don't think Thurman Thomas lit it up his first season either.

I wouldn stop taking Lynch out of the game and substituting Thomas whenever we are going to throw the ball. Lynch is never going to get any better if he isn't on the field. This entire season needs to be dedicated to Lynch getting better so next year, barring any significant injuries, the RB spot will be the least of our worries.

RB already is the least of our worries. QB may be added to that list by the end of the year.

jamze132
10-08-2007, 07:01 AM
RB already is the least of our worries. QB may be added to that list by the end of the year.
Is it? So you don't worry when A-Train come into the game? I do. It seems like whenever he comes in and touches the ball, we end up punting on the next play. I would rather cut him and run Lynch and Wright for the rest of the season. It would be nice for those two to form a nice tandem.