PDA

View Full Version : Does this concern anyone else?

DraftBoy
10-05-2007, 10:38 AM
I know its not Sabres related directly but the news from two days ago was that Detroit failed to sell out their home opener for the first time in 13 years I think. Does that concern anyone else that if Hockeytown cant sell out is the sport in trouble? Now I love the Sabres and go to every game when they come to Atlanta, but to me the sports ratings suck, and the attendance apparently is down. Is there a real problem?

Dude
10-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Buffalo is Hockeytown, not Detroit.

DraftBoy
10-05-2007, 10:44 AM
But its written on their ice!!

Dude
10-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Whatever helps them sleep at night, I guess.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-05-2007, 11:11 AM
I have to think that league believes they are past just being in trouble. After the past two years of free agency it was clear that their lockout did nothing but give false hope. It is without a doubt the worst run league in the "major" sports, if you can call it major. I hate to say it but the league is going to be in the same lines as Arena Football soon.

OpIv37
10-05-2007, 12:26 PM
the NHL didn't learn from the lockout mistakes and they're going to get themselves in trouble with big salaries and poor marketing again.

However, there could be other causes. I didn't follow Detroit in the off-season but their fans have high expectations and it could be a situation where the fans don't think the team will live up to their standards. Also, Detroit isn't exactly an area that's swimming with discretionary income, so that could be a factor as well.

RockStar36
10-05-2007, 12:54 PM
It doesn't really worry me personally but it doesn't look good for the NHL.

I still think the NHL needs to cut about 4-6 teams and focus on the big hockey markets instead of just expanding to areas and trying to make it work.

User Manuel
10-05-2007, 01:04 PM
This isn't a bitter shot at him, but this is what you get when a guy like Drury gets 7m per. Great player, but not a superstar getting superstar money.

Detroit fans are finally starting to get stuck with the bill for their large payroll all these years. Plus the Wings have effectively choked consistently the last few years.

It certainly doesnt help their cause that the Pistons, Tigers and Lions are all very good and contenders at the same time. It is just further proof that when the pedal is to the metal the NFL just brushes the NHL aside.

Michael82
10-05-2007, 02:35 PM
This isn't a bitter shot at him, but this is what you get when a guy like Drury gets 7m per. Great player, but not a superstar getting superstar money.

Detroit fans are finally starting to get stuck with the bill for their large payroll all these years. Plus the Wings have effectively choked consistently the last few years.

It certainly doesnt help their cause that the Pistons, Tigers and Lions are all very good and contenders at the same time. It is just further proof that when the pedal is to the metal the NFL just brushes the NHL aside.
this is what happens when a guy like Vanek gets $10 million too. :ill:

JD
10-05-2007, 03:21 PM
If I was a detroit fan I would feel weird as well about games, especially games that are not playoff games.

They have had GREAT records for YEARS throughout the season, only to suck royally in the playoffs. Maybe they too are tired of the let downs?? They've won championships, to where we havnt... they've seen the highest excitement possible, how could you be excited for a misley home opener.

Dont get me wrong, I love hockey but if the Sabres had a bunch of cups under their belt, then had some great seasons but sucked early in the playoffs.. I wouldnt be all too excited to see a home opener.