Minus Super Bowl rings,is Tom Brady a better QB than Jim Kelly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blackonyx89
    HI I AM A FREAKING LIONS FAN
    • Mar 2005

Minus Super Bowl rings,is Tom Brady a better QB than Jim Kelly?

My brother and I had this debate last night. I said that Kelly was a better QB than Brady. What makes it even more amazing Kelly was a LB converted into a QB. Tom Brady is an overachiever blessed with great talent around him. Kelly didn't have superstars in the USFL and he dominated that league and continued that into his NFL career. Brady is in the right system and if he was anywhere else he wouldn't be as good.
    Let's Go Bills, make it happen!!!
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: Minus Rings is Tom Brady a better QB than Jim Kelly?

Yes.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
      • May 2003

Re: Minus Super Bowl rings,is Tom Brady a better QB than Jim Kelly?

Originally posted by blackonyx89
      Tom Brady is an overachiever blessed with great talent around him.
      I'm sorry, that is just not true.

To answer the question, maybe, but if I had a team and the draft choice came down to Brady and Jim, I would take Kelly.

Comment

• Pride
        • Jul 2002

A better QB? No
        A better QB when playing the position? Yes

What I mean by this is... Kelly was a leader, he could single handedly put a team on his back and will them to a win. He is a guy I want in a trench beside me when at war.

Brady is a hell of a player... but he's not the man, and leader that Jimbo was.

I also believe that players today and players of 15 years ago cannot be compared due to free agency. Parity in the league also means that there are no more powerhouses because the talent is distributed equally which makes for lesser quality defenses.

Comment

• blackonyx89
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Pride
          A better QB? No
          A better QB when playing the position? Yes

What I mean by this is... Kelly was a leader, he could single handedly put a team on his back and will them to a win. He is a guy I want in a trench beside me when at war.

Brady is a hell of a player... but he's not the man, and leader that Jimbo was.

I also believe that players today and players of 15 years ago cannot be compared due to free agency. Parity in the league also means that there are no more powerhouses because the talent is distributed equally which makes for lesser quality defenses.

Very astute observation!!!

Comment

• Mitchy moo
            Roways rooking ahread!
            • Sep 2005

Jimbo is the man.

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

Yes
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Meathead
                Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                • Jul 2002

a tough call

but one thing we know for sure is when things go bad for brady he turns into a whiney pussy. we know the exact opposite for kelly

thus give me my choice and id take jimbo
                One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                  • Jul 2002

Brady is better than Kelly.. Come on guys lets be real here!

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

Brady easily, and the Super Bowls are why. You can't leave that out, because that's what defines greatness. How on earth can anyone say that a QB with three rings isn't a leader? That's insane. He's better in talent, and he's better in intangibles. It's Brady who made those around him better. Until now, Brady has never had anyone the caliber of Reed and Thomas on his team.

This is why homers are ... homers.
                    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• blackonyx89
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Philagape
                      Brady easily, and the Super Bowls are why. You can't leave that out, because that's what defines greatness. How on earth can anyone say that a QB with three rings isn't a leader? That's insane. He's better in talent, and he's better in intangibles. It's Brady who made those around him better. Until now, Brady has never had anyone the caliber of Reed and Thomas on his team.

This is why homers are ... homers.
                      Probably cheated for those rings. Hmmmmmmmmm........

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Kelly was coach on the field calling the plays. One things for sure, Brady has a better coach than what Kelly had.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Pride
                          • Jul 2002

One could argue that all of the "greats" from the Bills in the early 90's were directly the affect of Jim Kelly as well!

Thurman Thomas a 2nd round RB
                          Andre Reed went to Kutztown State
                          The list goes on and on.

In fact, I believe that Bruce Smith got so many sacks, because teams were forced to play catch up and throw the ball so much in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Sacks come easier when your team is up by 21 points in the 2nd half!

I believe that Kelly made everyone else around him great, even moreso than Brady Did... because, in all honesty... the Bills Defenses from the 90's were NOT that good! Brady is a product of a solid offensive system, and an incredible defensive minded coach.

Comment

• Philagape
                            WIN NOW
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Pride
                            Thurman Thomas a 2nd round RB
                            Andre Reed went to Kutztown State
                            How is that relevant? Tell me that Thurman and Andre and Bruce weren't great players in their own right. And they were great with Reich too.

Brady won the SB with Antowain Smith as his RB. During their entire SB run, they've very rarely had any offensive player go to the Pro Bowl besides Brady. In the SB against the Panthers, it was him and his clutch drive that won it. He's carried the offense on his back.
                            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• RedEyE
                              • Jul 2002

Jimbo was his own offensive coordinator and called his plays from snap. He had a great head on his shoulders and some serious physical strength. Peyton is much like Kelly in that regards and one could argue that Manning is even better.

Brady is a good QB for his system and makes the right decisions on the field.

I think they are good in their own rights. You can't say you wouldn't want Brady on your team. The guy is a headsy QB that will beat you with the nickle and dime.
                              Last edited by RedEyE; 10-05-2007, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X