PDA

View Full Version : Calling Josh Reed... now or never

OpIv37
10-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Reed is in the 2nd year of a backloaded 4 year contract that makes him expensive to keep next year.

Since coming to Buffalo, Reed has had his ups and downs and he's never really lived up to his potential. He's been more consistent in recent years, but can't seem to take it to the next level.

Well, with Price out, it will open some opportunities for him. It's now or never. This is Reed's chance to shine and prove his worth. I really hope he makes the most of it.

Either way, it looks like we're in the market for one and maybe 2 (depending on Reed's performance) WR's in the off-season. Price's contract is also heavily backloaded and I don't think we'll see him in a Bills uni again, unless he restructures for a serious pay cut.

RockStar36
10-05-2007, 12:23 PM
I agree that Price is most likely done as a Bill.

I'm also looking forward to Reed and seeing what he can do now. I've been down on him for the most part since his rookie year but so far this year I've liked what I've seen when he gets the chance so now I'd like to see him make the most of it.

Mitchy moo
I hope Josh steps up!!

Philagape
We've been in need of WRs for two years now :ill:

The Answer
10-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Antonio Bryant anybody?

~The Answer

raphael120
10-05-2007, 12:31 PM
I dont knwo about anyone else, but Ive seen Reed make bigger plays than Price over the past two years, minus the TD at Houston, I think Reed is better over the middle and will actually get catches consistantly instead of a couple every other game like Price.

Reed is a tough SOB and he's a poor mans Hinds Ward, we need to get him the ball and let him power his way tot he second level.

OpIv37
10-05-2007, 12:34 PM
I dont knwo about anyone else, but Ive seen Reed make bigger plays than Price over the past two years, minus the TD at Houston, I think Reed is better over the middle and will actually get catches consistantly instead of a couple every other game like Price.

Reed is a tough SOB and he's a poor mans Hinds Ward, we need to get him the ball and let him power his way tot he second level.

I've never been a big fan of Reed but I'll admit he's been better than Price.

BTW Price hasn't been on our team for two years- he re-joined before 06 so this is his 2nd year back.

raphael120
10-05-2007, 12:37 PM
I've never been a big fan of Reed but I'll admit he's been better than Price.

BTW Price hasn't been on our team for two years- he re-joined before 06 so this is his 2nd year back.

Right, i meant this year plus last year, so year and a month or so.

But you can argue Reed put up better stats than Price is the past 5 years when price was on different teams. haha

historypete
10-05-2007, 12:37 PM
I think Reed will do okay. He can't be any worse than Price was catching that 1 ball a game.

The one thing I like about Reed is that he will make the tough catch over the middle. Although he is not fast, he seems to be quick and very difficult to cover on those crossing patterns. I would hope Fairchild still lines him up in the slot when they go 3 wide, and let Roscoe use his speed on the outside to get separation. This is a huge opportunity for both of them, and they better grab this chance. The question is who do we use as the 4th WR? Aiken? He hasn't shown anything in his limited opportunities. Who is available in Free Agency, I don't even know. I just hope this isn't an excuse to cut back the playbook, and start going back to 2TE offense more because last week showed what this offense can do when they decide to spread things out.

Night Train
10-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Gutless is a seperate issue, as he lines up as the wide #2.

Reed is always a #3 in the slot. Plus his blocking is exceptional. I'm suprised I've seen Parrish wide, considering he could get killed with one hit.

Reed is open short quite often and Edwards showed the quick reads to him and Evans last Sunday. Always a good thing.

We need a true #2 to put next to Evans and Reed/Parrish.

OpIv37
10-05-2007, 12:48 PM
I think Reed will do okay. He can't be any worse than Price was catching that 1 ball a game.

The one thing I like about Reed is that he will make the tough catch over the middle. Although he is not fast, he seems to be quick and very difficult to cover on those crossing patterns. I would hope Fairchild still lines him up in the slot when they go 3 wide, and let Roscoe use his speed on the outside to get separation. This is a huge opportunity for both of them, and they better grab this chance. The question is who do we use as the 4th WR? Aiken? He hasn't shown anything in his limited opportunities. Who is available in Free Agency, I don't even know. I just hope this isn't an excuse to cut back the playbook, and start going back to 2TE offense more because last week showed what this offense can do when they decide to spread things out.

A two- TE offense doesn't have to be conservative if there is at least one TE who can run routes and catch, but we don't have that.

justasportsfan
10-05-2007, 01:13 PM
If anything the wrs and the TE are gonna be more important to the passing game because we have Evans + 2 slot recievers (parrish and Reed) where the better teams can easily account for.

madness
10-05-2007, 01:21 PM
This thread should actually be... calling Roscoe Parrish...

Reed is most likely staying in the slot with Parrish moving outside. Reed is very effective lining up in the slot (especially on 3rd downs) and won't be moved out of there too much.

This is Parrish's time to shine. I hope he's up to it.

justasportsfan
10-05-2007, 01:22 PM
This thread should actually be... calling Roscoe Parrish...

Reed is most likely staying in the slot with Parrish moving outside. Reed is very effective lining up in the slot (especially on 3rd downs) and won't be moved out of there too much.

This is Parrish's time to shine. I hope he's up to it.

I agree 100%

justasportsfan
10-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 1:56 PM ET | Link

IMPACT OF PRICE INJURY: The loss of Peerless Price for the season certainly strips the receiving corps of some valuable experience, but Roscoe Parrish has been steadily emerging as a more consistent weapon in the passing game. Still the staff remains concerned about using Parrish too much knowing he's not the biggest receiver in the world. I don't know that they have a choice now. They need Parrish out there more often now to make plays on the outside. Josh Reed will likely be the full time slot receiver with Parrish out wide more. In four wide sets Sam Aiken I believe will be the other outside wideout and Parrish will be back in the slot on one side with Reed on the other. We see what kind of difference it makes. ---

madness
10-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Crap, I'm starting to sound like CB. :doh:

HHURRICANE
10-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Reed is in the 2nd year of a backloaded 4 year contract that makes him expensive to keep next year.

Since coming to Buffalo, Reed has had his ups and downs and he's never really lived up to his potential. He's been more consistent in recent years, but can't seem to take it to the next level.

Well, with Price out, it will open some opportunities for him. It's now or never. This is Reed's chance to shine and prove his worth. I really hope he makes the most of it.

Either way, it looks like we're in the market for one and maybe 2 (depending on Reed's performance) WR's in the off-season. Price's contract is also heavily backloaded and I don't think we'll see him in a Bills uni again, unless he restructures for a serious pay cut.

Josh Reed does what he is supposed to do. He's not and will never be a #2 on this team.

Your asking him to do what we are not paying him to do. Time to get a #2.

trapezeus
10-05-2007, 01:45 PM
i was once a big reed basher. mostly because he dropped the flea flicker in the 31-0 drubbing of the pats. and that entire season his head was somewhere else. but he's fought the dropsies very well.

Now he just seems to be forgotten, but when the ball comes to him, he fights for it. and even though i never thought of him as fast, he's wily when and if he can run after the catch. Recall the pats game at home last year or the year before.

Anyways, i have faith in him now that he catches stuff. if he can be on the field more, i think his production will increase. and that in turn will increase evans and parrish's numbers. And we somehow have a couple TEs now. so i think it can work out.

like everything, it all depends on the game on monday to be sold.

historypete
10-05-2007, 01:49 PM
A two- TE offense doesn't have to be conservative if there is at least one TE who can run routes and catch, but we don't have that.

I completely agree that a 2-TE offense can be open. Indy uses that all the time with Clark. But the reason I placed it in the context of us running a conservative 2-TE offense is for the exact reason you cited. We don't have any athletic TE's who can stretch the field. They either stay close to the line as an emergency reciever or to help block, or they run a five yard out pattern. We have no playmaker at that spot, or at least the gameplan is devised so they aren't allowed to make plays.

justasportsfan
10-05-2007, 01:51 PM
both Royal and Gaines were on the field in Edwards 1st td.

OpIv37
10-05-2007, 01:54 PM
both Royal and Gaines were on the field in Edwards 1st td.

it was a goal-line situation though. Usually that's a jumbo set, run or pass.

OpIv37
10-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Josh Reed does what he is supposed to do. He's not and will never be a #2 on this team.

Your asking him to do what we are not paying him to do. Time to get a #2.

I hear ya on that but it's the middle of a season. Either Reed or Parrish will have to step up as a #2 for the next 12 games and then we'll worry about it in the off season. For the moment, we're stuck with what we have.

justasportsfan
10-05-2007, 01:59 PM
it was a goal-line situation though. Usually that's a jumbo set, run or pass.
I was merely saying. Our ability to use the TE's is still under review until we play better teams.

Mitchy moo
10-05-2007, 02:53 PM
I was merely saying. Our ability to use the TE's is still under review until we play better teams.

We haven't used them in years & lord knows we played some worse teams between then and now.

Nighthawk
10-05-2007, 05:55 PM

I agree. IMO, Reed should've been the starter on this team already and losing Price isn't really losing anything anyways. Price was useless, but this wonderful coaching staff didn't see a reason to take him out of the lineup. That should say enough about how clueless this coaching staff is.

jamze132
10-06-2007, 08:06 AM
We should put both Reed and Parish in the slot at the same time while leaving the WR2 position vacant. That should make the Cowboy DC laugh.

Yasgur's Farm
10-06-2007, 08:22 AM
Reed is equally effective for run and pass plays... That will keep D's guessing.

Roscoe from the slot will stretch the field and make room for Evans.

Look for more of a Lynch/Jackson 2 RB set... Either can get open from the edge while the other stays in to pick up the blitz.

Hell... If the coaching staff can't bring something innovative to the game, then we got the wrong coaches.

Yasgur's Farm
10-06-2007, 08:28 AM
Josh is the sarter according to the depth chart.

http://www.buffalobills.com/depth_chart/index.html

henrybacker
10-06-2007, 02:06 PM
arguing over price vs reed is like arguing over which smells worse, a terd or a crap.

churchinski
10-06-2007, 02:41 PM

He's not going to develope into much more of a receiver than he is now.

I think he'll get more catches with Edwards in there.

But Reed is a run-of-the-mill player who never lived up to how high he was drafted

YardRat
10-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Neither Reed or Parrish are legit #2's...I'd rather see the coaching staff not mess around with those two playing the slot and promote Aiken to the spot opposite Evans. Time to put up or plan on packing at the end of the year.