PDA

View Full Version : Who saw this one coming?

OpIv37
10-08-2007, 08:33 AM
The Sabres beat the Islanders 4-1 in the playoffs.

Then the off-season occurs. The Sabres lose two key players to free agency and add ZERO free agents (okay, fine, one- a back up goalie). The Islanders go out and get enough FA's to create an entire new line.

Finally, the next season starts. What happens? The Islanders win the first two games against the Sabres, due largely to the play of that "FA line" on the Islanders.
The competition got better and we got worse.

There eventually comes a point where expensive, veteran talent needs to be replaced. However, I have two things to say about that: First, you can't lose players the quality of Drury and Briere in exchange for guys like Stafford and Ryan because there will be growing pains. Second, the time to get younger is NOT right after back to back trips to the Cup finals- that's indicative of a team that is missing one or two pieces to win it all, not a team that needs to get younger and rebuild.

The most disappointing thing, though, is the lack of attention paid to defense. I think with Vanek, Afineganov, Roy, Connolly, Stafford, etc, this team still has speed and offensive firepower. However, they still lack that physical presence on D and there is no one who can play the point on the PP, and the PK unit isn't physical enough. These are the exact same problems the team had last year and nothing was done to address it.

I know, someone's gonna jump in and say "you've said all this before". Well, before it was just conjecture. Now, its' actually manifesting itself on the ice. The FO botched the off-season and now we're stuck with the effects.

BlackMetalNinja
10-08-2007, 09:17 AM
It's 2 games... That mean's there are 80 left... let's talk about it when it becomes an extended trend huh?

OpIv37
10-08-2007, 09:20 AM
It's 2 games... That mean's there are 80 left... let's talk about it when it becomes an extended trend huh?

does it matter? It's already clear that at least one team that wasn't better than us last year is better than us now- you think they're the only one? I highly doubt it.

BlackMetalNinja
10-08-2007, 09:21 AM
does it matter? It's already clear that at least one team that wasn't better than us last year is better than us now- you think they're the only one? I highly doubt it.

Christ, you don't quit man...

Sports in Op's view:

http://www.biblelife.org/bigbang-blackhole.gif

And for those of you that don't get it... it's a black hole.

OpIv37
10-08-2007, 09:22 AM
also it's pretty clear that the problems we had last year are still problems even after two games:

The team had problems with defense and physical play last year.
The team did nothing to to address those problems.
Through two games, the team has shown that the two problems still exist.

What logical reason is there to think it's somehow going to change? There is none.

RockStar36
10-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Sometimes I also wonder why you even watch sports.

OpIv37
10-08-2007, 10:08 AM
anyone care to talk about hockey or are you guys that obsessed with my attitude?

RockStar36
10-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Both are tired topics. Talking hockey and complaining about the off-season again are two different things.

One thing I do find funny though. Many of the people who rip the Sabres FO are the same people who are Bills homers. Ironic.

BlackMetalNinja
10-08-2007, 10:19 AM
anyone care to talk about hockey or are you guys that obsessed with my attitude?

I'd love to talk about hockey, it's just too bad that the only way some seem interested in doing so is to ***** and complain the entire time about things that are done and over with.

OpIv37
10-08-2007, 10:34 AM
I'd love to talk about hockey, it's just too bad that the only way some seem interested in doing so is to ***** and complain the entire time about things that are done and over with.

that's the thing though- they're not over and done with. The results of the off season, so far, are 0-2. It's not over and done with until the season is.

JD
10-08-2007, 11:14 AM
You cannot look past the issues with its team just because its early in the season. It's nothing new with the Sabres.

mchurchfie
10-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Even though they beat us, I don't think the Islanders are a better team than us. The Sabres just need to quit going into a shell and sleepwalking through the second period like they have made a habit of doing and play a full 60 minutes. The last period of the last game they pretty much dominated NY because they started playing hard again.

RockStar36
10-08-2007, 04:18 PM
I think it's all the logos fault

chernobylwraiths
10-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Well, I know Nighthawk and myself were railing last year about our loss of toughness after LAST offseason with the losses of McKee, Griere and Dumont. Now, I wasn't that sad to see them go, especially at the salaries they got, but they did the same thing LAST offseason as they did this one. They let other teams dictate the market price for players. At that point, either they walked from the player or the players walked away from the money to take the other offer.

Yes, I think this team will be fine and make it to the playoffs again this year, but what then? Even in the "new" NHL, it has been proven that the Stanley Cup winner has to have some toughness to win. They didn't necessarily lose much toughness with Briere, but Drury was willing to do whatever it took. Zubris is another matter and though he played tough at the end of last year, over his career he was fairly soft. I think Paille and Paetch will eventually fill a bit of a hitting role with the team, but that is far off. Even Peca would have helped. Right now, outside of Gaustad and Mair, they have nobody that can hit with consistancy and nobody of an upper tier level.

YardRat
10-08-2007, 06:51 PM
It's way too early, but there is no denying that the toughness needed to get to the next level, especially on the blue line, wasn't addressed in the off-season.

Hopefully over the course of the season it will manifest from players already on the roster or in Rochester. If not, we still have plenty of time before the trade deadline to rightfully expect the management to do something about it.

Nighthawk
10-08-2007, 07:05 PM

Then the off-season occurs. The Sabres lose two key players to free agency and add ZERO free agents (okay, fine, one- a back up goalie). The Islanders go out and get enough FA's to create an entire new line.

Finally, the next season starts. What happens? The Islanders win the first two games against the Sabres, due largely to the play of that "FA line" on the Islanders.

There eventually comes a point where expensive, veteran talent needs to be replaced. However, I have two things to say about that: First, you can't lose players the quality of Drury and Briere in exchange for guys like Stafford and Ryan because there will be growing pains. Second, the time to get younger is NOT right after back to back trips to the Cup finals- that's indicative of a team that is missing one or two pieces to win it all, not a team that needs to get younger and rebuild.

The most disappointing thing, though, is the lack of attention paid to defense. I think with Vanek, Afineganov, Roy, Connolly, Stafford, etc, this team still has speed and offensive firepower. However, they still lack that physical presence on D and there is no one who can play the point on the PP, and the PK unit isn't physical enough. These are the exact same problems the team had last year and nothing was done to address it.

I know, someone's gonna jump in and say "you've said all this before". Well, before it was just conjecture. Now, its' actually manifesting itself on the ice. The FO botched the off-season and now we're stuck with the effects.

OP, yes, I saw this coming and it pisses me off. This organization sits back and does nothing to improve the team from last year, let alone replace the Drury & Briere. It's too bad, considering we had built something pretty special the last few years. Leave it to a Buffalo organization to totally screw up a good thing.

churchinski
10-09-2007, 03:50 AM

The one part of this post I want to comment on is the point on the PP

Where is Campbell ?

This coaching staff and front office have to learn some common sense

It boils down to this ....***** or get off the pot

They weren't able to reach an agreement with Campbell in the offseason ( not that I'm suprised being that it's the Sabres) and now he is in his final year.

So the point is make up your mind what you are going to do with this player.
If you are going to pay him a huge contract when he nears free agency then use him like he is that type of player .

Otherwise trade him.

This reminds me of the Zubrus/Vanek fiasco in the playoffs.
You have one of the league's top forwards playing on the 2nd unit PP in favor of a bum like Zubrus.
Then when the season ends you match a $10 million offer sheet on Vanek.
If you felt Vanek was on that $10 million level then why in hell was he on the bench watching a hack like Zubrus playing on the 1st unit PP ?

It made no sense and still doesn't.

Now they'll do the same with Campbell.

This player will command a top price, so if you intend to resign him , then use him like he is a player worth that kind of $.
Otherwise trade him.