PDA

View Full Version : Heartache in Buffalo

Throne Logic
10-09-2007, 02:14 AM
I am a stronger human being that I was two decades ago when I pledged my football allegiance to The Buffalo Bills. I no longer get too high or too low for any of the variety of events life throws at me. I have become numb to the pain that life deals out to all of us. Indifferent to the joys that are bestowed upon us. I am a Bills fan. I am an emotional shell.

For decades, two in my experience, this team has functioned as an emotional drill sergeant. They build you up then tear you down, only to build you up higher and tear you down further. Each time my heart is ripped violently from my chest, I swear it couldn’t ever possibly get worse. Each time I am horribly wrong.

For a number of years, starting the season after the Music City Debacle, I have entered games in an emotionally guarded state. I quietly sit and watch, hoping for the best, but expecting what has become the inevitable; that huge “other shoe” of Fate that always seems to land in the middle of the Bills’ huddle. However, somehow, in some insidious way, this team slowly sucks you in. They are like sirens (if you look beyond the big, hairy, sweaty, male part) in that they quietly lure you into lowering your defenses. At some point in the third quarter I am alarmed to find that hope has begun to show its ugly head. By the fourth quarter, I can no longer resist its temptations. I find that, despite my carefully laid defenses, I have embraced hope and have begun to touch upon real excitement. “Maybe this once”, I think to myself. “We have to turn the corner at some point, don’t we?” Every Bills fan knows how this ends.

Each Sunday my defenses are stronger than the previous week; built up with the experience of yet another heart-wrenching blow. Yet, this team – this evil force of emotional turmoil – finds new and ingenious ways to compromise my defense mechanisms, build me up, and yank the life out of me, time and time again. Talk about your case of bad karma.

Somebody once compared being a Bills fan to being in an emotionally abusive relationship with someone you love. I have been fortunate to never experience a relationship of this sort. But I imagine that this analogy is, on a somewhat lesser degree, on the right track. I’m learning to distrust “hope” and that is not good.

It’s far too late to “cut my losses” and find another team to root for. I currently live in New England, so it would be an easy choice and no one would likely challenge me. But I’ve committed far too much so far. I’ve invested so much emotionally that I have to see it through. I have to make it through to the other side. There will come a day when victory will be that much sweeter for the heartache we have endured. Or is that the sweet song of distrustful hope calling to me once again?

Mitchy moo
10-09-2007, 02:18 AM
Somebody once compared being a Bills fan to being in an emotionally abusive relationship with someone you love. I have been fortunate to never experience a relationship of this sort.

I had weird ass chicks do worse stuff to me than this team does, it makes it real hard to go forward. I feel violated and lost, very sad.

Throne Logic
10-09-2007, 02:32 AM
There are a bunch of lost soles tonight. Look how many of us are hanging around this board at 3 AM. . .

SABuffalo786
10-09-2007, 02:32 AM
I'll never give up on Buffalo or our teams but I really am thinking about taking a bit of a hiatus from sports.

The Sabres are headed back to the purgatory of mediocrity and the Bills insist on finding the most heart wrenching ways to lose...it has just become too much.

I put in so much but get so little back. It really just isn't rational anymore.

I know it sounds fair weather but I've been putting up with this since I was 5 (Norwood). On the way home from the game I was just thinking that my life would probably be a lot better/happier if I didn't have to invest financially/emotionaly and time wise with sports.

I never thought I'd say this but we really are getting to the point of throwing my hands up in exasperation and seriously asking "Why bother?"

hammerbillsfan
10-09-2007, 02:33 AM
we are vultures circling the carcass

Throne Logic
10-09-2007, 02:42 AM
You have to give Dick some credit, I guess. Somehow he finds ways to motivate these guys into giving spectactular efforts that serve to build up our collective hope. Perhaps he needs a better half-time speech. . .

LtFinFan66
10-09-2007, 02:54 AM
Well said Throne

jamze132
10-09-2007, 03:12 AM
You have to give Dick some credit, I guess. Somehow he finds ways to motivate these guys into giving spectactular efforts that serve to build up our collective hope. Perhaps he needs a better half-time speech. . .
I think Dick needs to stay the **** out of the locker room at halftime. What he needs to do is read the idiots guide to controlling the clock and the lead. Why did he attempt a 53 yrd FG 30 sec. before the half ended? Of course, Lindel missed and gave the Cowboys and EXTRA 7 yrds, which BTW, they needed every yard to get the field goal before half time. And why the **** were we passing the ball all over the field with 6 min to go, with the lead, well inside MY fieldgoal range??? If Lynch runs the ball for 1 yard, Lindell kicks the field goal, and we go up 27-16. Instead the idiots calling the plays put Edwards, who I do not blame, in a crappy situation to begin with.

We do not have the right person calling offensive plays nor do we have the right person deciding whether or not to punt, go for it, kick a FG, or fake a kick.

Throne Logic
10-09-2007, 09:21 AM
There were some definite parallels between the last 5 minutes of the Denver game and this one. If nothing else this coaching staff really needs to re-evaluate their philosophy on how to finish a game with the lead.

Mahdi
10-09-2007, 09:27 AM
I think Dick needs to stay the **** out of the locker room at halftime. What he needs to do is read the idiots guide to controlling the clock and the lead. Why did he attempt a 53 yrd FG 30 sec. before the half ended? Of course, Lindel missed and gave the Cowboys and EXTRA 7 yrds, which BTW, they needed every yard to get the field goal before half time. And why the **** were we passing the ball all over the field with 6 min to go, with the lead, well inside MY fieldgoal range??? If Lynch runs the ball for 1 yard, Lindell kicks the field goal, and we go up 27-16. Instead the idiots calling the plays put Edwards, who I do not blame, in a crappy situation to begin with.

We do not have the right person calling offensive plays nor do we have the right person deciding whether or not to punt, go for it, kick a FG, or fake a kick.
I think Dick was trying to do everything opposite today that he would noramlly do ala George Costanza. 4th and 1-- go for it... 53 yard field goal-- lets do it! Go for the kill in the redzone rather than field goal-- YES SIR! Give the guy credit he was Ballsy and wanted to win... Didnt we all ask for that?

DynaPaul
10-09-2007, 09:37 AM
That game was bull****. Once again we play them tough only to lose in the last 5 seconds. Dallas should have been blown out had we actually had some receivers open. Like I said after the Denver game, I'd rather get blown out ANY night then lose in the last 5 seconds.

jamze132
10-10-2007, 03:58 AM
I think Dick was trying to do everything opposite today that he would noramlly do ala George Costanza. 4th and 1-- go for it... 53 yard field goal-- lets do it! Go for the kill in the redzone rather than field goal-- YES SIR! Give the guy credit he was Ballsy and wanted to win... Didnt we all ask for that?
There is a time to be aggressive and a time to be conservative. Any half decent NFL coach knows the difference between the two.

You make it sound like Jauron did what the fans wanted but you are wrong. The fans want someone smart, not a complete idiot.

Pride
10-10-2007, 07:56 AM
Beautiful post man.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Somebody once compared being a Bills fan to being in an emotionally abusive relationship with someone you love.

I wish it was that easy.