PDA

View Full Version : I need to vent

BillsFan19
10-09-2007, 10:26 AM
I am still in shock and anger that Fairchild called an out route pass play on 3rd and 7 inside the Dallas 15 yd line midway thru the 4th quarter. Just run it up the middle, take another 30 seconds off the clock and kick the chip shot FG and go up 27-16 making Dallas have to score a TD, a 2 pt conversion, and a FG just to tie.

Can anyone justify this? Especially a deep out route. The only pass that should have even been thought about attempting would be a shovel pass or screen.

Sorry, but this absolutely cost us the game. Thoughts?

JDSmith
10-09-2007, 10:34 AM
I thought the reverse on third and 1 was even worse. The Cowboys have a very fast D, but your running game had been doing OK running right at them. I would think that you run straight ahead for the yard rather than try to trick them and beat Demarcus Ware on a reverse, because Ware plays those great and always has.

BillsFan19
10-09-2007, 10:38 AM
good point JD. I forgot about that play. The other call that made absolutely no sense was kicking the long FG before the half instead of just punting. I think every Bills fan including myself knew Lindell would not make it.

scott51
10-09-2007, 10:42 AM
At the end of this game I had one thought only, Dick Jauron needs to be fired, along with all of his assistants. I was listening to WGR 55 and he said exactly what I did last night. The plays you have talked about were very bad calls, the very last play before the field goal had to be the absolute worst call EVER! Why in the hell would you not play the damn sidelines when the Cowboys have no timeouts and only :13 seconds on the clock? It is inexcusable that the WR was able to catch the ball and get out of bound so easily. Let him catch it and then tackle the idiot. Nope, not this defense. That right there says to me that Dick Jauron cannot coach this team and needs to be shown the door!

BillsFan19
10-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Scott, I had the same exact thought on the sideline throw with 13 seconds left. Just sit on the sidelines and force them to dare throw it in the middle or make Romo throw it out of bounds. Man there are just too many things that we did that cost us this game. And they are all on the coaching staff.

scott51
10-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Scott, I had the same exact thought on the sideline throw with 13 seconds left. Just sit on the sidelines and force them to dare throw it in the middle or make Romo throw it out of bounds. Man there are just too many things that we did that cost us this game. And they are all on the coaching staff.

Exactly! We already showed we can cover the deep ball so if he launches it, we should have it covered. I just can't come to grips with that game. I think it showed we have a team that could be reckoned with but we are being outcoached! In my opinion we should give Jauron the boot and see if we can lure Marty back. He wasn't very good in the post-season but as they say in Buffalo, "Hey, ya never know".

JDSmith
10-09-2007, 10:50 AM
I think they were playing the sidelines, just further up the field. They were willing to give up the 5 or 6 yard out, because they didn't want to give up the 20 yard out or the stop and go for the TD. In retrospect it was a bad decision, but don't forget it set up a rookie kicker for a 53 yard attempt. His longest in college was only 52 yards.

In Parcells first year with the Cowboys we won on a 51 yard FG after the Giants kicked the ball out of bounds with 11 seconds to play. Quincy Carter hit Antonio Bryant on a 26 yard out because Bryant ran to the spot between the zones. Our players now are much better than they were then. I think your coaches were just afraid that if they defend the short sideline, they're going to have to give up a gap further down along the sideline and risk giving an easier FG attempt. And I understand guys saying they could have left the middle uncovered, but would you really want a single safety or someone in the open field trying to make a stop when everyone else is on the sidelines playing the out? Because that's what it would have come down to, a long pass down the middle of the field with a chance for a 50 yard TD if your safety misses the tackle.

scott51
10-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Then put a linebacker in the middle with you down there who can make the tackle with the safety. There is just no excuse for how easily the WR got out of bounds.

JDSmith
10-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Then put a linebacker in the middle with you down there who can make the tackle with the safety. There is just no excuse for how easily the WR got out of bounds.

I really don't think that was all that bad because of where it took place on the field. How many rookie kickers are making a 53 yard field goal twice in a row? Especially when it's further than he's ever kicked in his career, even in college. I think your coaches just played the odds. Give them the short stuff as long as you don't give them the longer stuff. Because every yard you move them back you improve your chances that he's going to miss it. A 37 yarder would have been a gimme, a 53 yarder... IMO the odds are with you on that, and I think that's what your coaching staff was thinking.

trapezeus
10-09-2007, 11:17 AM

Yet, that guy would have made the kick from 60+ out. to lose on a TD run would have been even worse. they only gave up 8 yards. it's a tough kick for every other kicker, including fancy I Lindell.

HHURRICANE
10-09-2007, 11:20 AM
I am still in shock and anger that Fairchild called an out route pass play on 3rd and 7 inside the Dallas 15 yd line midway thru the 4th quarter. Just run it up the middle, take another 30 seconds off the clock and kick the chip shot FG and go up 27-16 making Dallas have to score a TD, a 2 pt conversion, and a FG just to tie.

Can anyone justify this? Especially a deep out route. The only pass that should have even been thought about attempting would be a shovel pass or screen.

Sorry, but this absolutely cost us the game. Thoughts?

Anybody who doesn't understand this call cost us the game shouldn't be posting here. I was shocked when I saw him drop back and said "I don't like this."

Akhippo
10-09-2007, 11:21 AM
TE interception was my head scratcher. I said it immediately when i saw the passing formation. Why, are you passing! Then to run an out pattern. You dont run away from your QB. That just puts more defenders between the QB and the WR.

HHURRICANE
10-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Exactly! We already showed we can cover the deep ball so if he launches it, we should have it covered. I just can't come to grips with that game. I think it showed we have a team that could be reckoned with but we are being outcoached! In my opinion we should give Jauron the boot and see if we can lure Marty back. He wasn't very good in the post-season but as they say in Buffalo, "Hey, ya never know".

Covering any pass in a prevent situation is tough. The fact that we were in that position started with the stupid call on 3rd and 7.

I'll give the D a pass on this one.