PDA

View Full Version : This about sums it up...

Kerr
10-09-2007, 03:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/071009&sportCat=nfl

"You've probably heard that Tony Romo threw five interceptions despite facing Buffalo's injury-depleted secondary -- the Bills' secondary has so many injuries it should be called a tertiary -- but Dallas rallied to win on a long field goal on the game's final snap. Buffalo was plus-5 in takeaways, and had three touchdowns on returns, yet still managed to lose. You have to work very hard to blow a game when you're plus-5 in the takeaway column and score three times on interceptions and kickoffs. Work hard to lose Buffalo did, and central to the collapse was coaching error, not player error.

Leading 24-16, the Bills faced third-and-8 on the Cowboys' 11 with 6:21 remaining. Buffalo had been using a simplistic, high-school-style offense of runs up the middle and hitch passes. The Bills threw down the field exactly once while throwing sideways or ultrashort 30 times, and ran outside twice (for a 5.5-yard average) while running straight up the middle 22 times (for a 3.1-yard average). Owing to turnovers, Buffalo took possession in Dallas territory three times on the night, but owing to the Bills' predictable offensive game plan, they netted only one field goal. Nevertheless, the Bills found themselves with an eight-point lead and deep in Cowboys' territory with 6:21 remaining.

Had Buffalo simply run up the middle for no gain, then kicked a field goal, the Bills almost certainly would have won -- they would have held an 11-point lead and kept the clock moving, and Dallas didn't score to pull within an onside kick of victory until 20 ticks remained on the clock. Instead, Buffalo offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild called a pass that was intercepted, ending the team's chance for a secure lead -- and it wasn't even a decent gamble because the Bills' ultrashort passes to that point were netting 4.6 yards per attempt. There were at least 20 coaches on the Buffalo sideline and in the press box. Somebody is supposed to stay on top of evolving stats like net passing -- on well-coached teams such as New England and Indianapolis, you'd better believe the guy making the calls gets evolving stats during the game. But with a secure lead just one snap away, Buffalo needlessly put the ball into the air, and needless to say, it was intercepted.

Then the Bills got possession again, still leading 24-16, and faced third-and-7 near midfield with 3:58 remaining. Again they threw -- incompletion -- again stopping the clock. Dallas didn't score its touchdown until 20 seconds were left: Had Buffalo simply run up the middle for no gain on either one of its late-fourth-quarter third downs, keeping the clock moving, the Cowboys would have run out of time and the home team would have won. In Week 1 -- when the Bills also lost on a field goal on the final play -- on a third down with about two minutes to go, the Bills also threw incomplete and stopped the clock; the Broncos kicked the winning field goal as time expired. TMQ's Law of the Obvious holds: Sometimes all a team needs to do is run up the middle for no gain, and things will be fine. Buffalo, 1-4, would be 3-2 today -- and talking about its monster upset of the Cowboys on "Monday Night Football" -- if the Bills' coaches had simply kept the clock moving with runs when holding late leads against Denver and Dallas. You have to work really hard to lose a game in which you were plus-5 on turnovers, but the Buffalo coaching staff was equal to this challenge."

How anyone can defend dick and his coaching staff(except april) is beyond me. They did everything remotely possible to lose this game. I thought I was watching an episode of the three stooges on the sideline. Martyball couldn't come any sooner. Martyball in '08.

JD
10-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Perfect column, PERFECT.

Jauron, Fairchild.. be gone!

Mitchy moo
10-09-2007, 04:01 PM
If Edwards makes that throw and gets a TD then the game is over, so we took a chance to secure a victory. It's fairly obvious as well that an 11 point lead would not of been insurmountable as the cowboys got 9 points in 20 seconds. So with 6:00 left the game was not over. We also got drilled with the fact that the cowboys do horrible to start and then ring up points near the end of their games on offense. So please cut the BS that any lead was a safe lead, especially with that much time left.

BILLSROCK1212
10-09-2007, 04:04 PM
100% correct and I hope that Marv reads this....I would love Steve Mariucci to be our HC actually....install the West Coast offense and we may just have something going here......

Gunzlingr
10-09-2007, 04:23 PM
If Norwoods kick would have been true, The Bills would have won a superbowl. IF if if.

Don't Panic
10-09-2007, 04:31 PM
If Edwards makes that throw and gets a TD then the game is over, so we took a chance to secure a victory. It's fairly obvious as well that an 11 point lead would not of been insurmountable as the cowboys got 9 points in 20 seconds.

Skoob... that pass call was one of the most short-sighted calls I have seen in a very long time. It makes no sense getting into a debtae about this, but I must at least say that had we run the ball on that play, it would have taken a second miracle for the Cowboys to win. First off, you milk 30 more seconds... secondly, you get 3 more points. Up 8 with 6:30 to go in the 4th and on your opponents 12, you run on 3rd down and take the points on 4th down (making it a 2 possession game). No brainer.

ParanoidAndroid
10-09-2007, 04:35 PM
The writers of columns like this have not grasped the concept of cumulative events. One event effects another. Who is to say what Dallas would have done differently if we had knocked another 30 seconds off the clock? Maybe they would have hit a deep pass among various options.

Mitchy moo
10-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Skoob... that pass call was one of the most short-sighted calls I have seen in a very long time. It makes no sense getting into a debtae about this, but I must at least say that had we run the ball on that play, it would have taken a second miracle for the Cowboys to win. First off, you milk 30 more seconds... secondly, you get 3 more points. Up 8 with 6:30 to go in the 4th and on your opponents 12, you run on 3rd down and take the points on 4th down (making it a 2 possession game). No brainer.

We watched a two possession game after that boys TD with :20 seconds to go and the TO drop on the 2 pt conversion, find something else as a no brainer. It would also have been a safe bet that we would not have pressured Romo even if we did kick the FG, so either way he most likely would of had some sort of shot at beating us. Remember the gutless coaching story?

HHURRICANE
10-09-2007, 05:02 PM
If Edwards makes that throw and gets a TD then the game is over, so we took a chance to secure a victory. It's fairly obvious as well that an 11 point lead would not of been insurmountable as the cowboys got 9 points in 20 seconds. So with 6:00 left the game was not over. We also got drilled with the fact that the cowboys do horrible to start and then ring up points near the end of their games on offense. So please cut the BS that any lead was a safe lead, especially with that much time left.

Skooby, you are wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. We run the ball, kick the field goal, make it an 11 point game, let them start at their own 20-30 and force them to score twice with under 6 minutes left.

DynaPaul
10-09-2007, 06:00 PM
We shoulda kicked the field goal. End of story. That pass play was just a bad call. If we HAD to pass we could have at least made a short safe dumpoff pass or a play action.

Oaf
10-09-2007, 07:27 PM
It really hurts for fans when you win despite coaches. I'm sure it's 10x worse for the players.

Lexwhat
10-09-2007, 08:47 PM
The writers of columns like this have not grasped the concept of cumulative events. One event effects another. Who is to say what Dallas would have done differently if we had knocked another 30 seconds off the clock? Maybe they would have hit a deep pass among various options.

Exactly!

There's a lot of people on this board that haven't grasped that concept. It seems simple enough?

YardRat
10-09-2007, 08:57 PM
This is the first time this year where I think the fans have a truly legitimate ***** about the coaching staff.

The long FG attempt near the end of the first half was stupid.

The third down pass that was picked was a terrible call, although Edward's shoulders some of the blame there.

The special teams fubared the onside kick, and a lot of that has to do with those chosen to be on the 'hands' team.

The defense MUST protect the sideline late in the game when the clock is your ally.

If I were a player, I'd be pissed too.

SABURZFAN
10-09-2007, 08:59 PM
This is the first time this year where I think the fans have a truly legitimate ***** about the coaching staff.

The long FG attempt near the end of the first half was stupid.

The third down pass that was picked was a terrible call, although Edward's shoulders some of the blame there.

The special teams fubared the onside kick, and a lot of that has to do with those chosen to be on the 'hands' team.

The defense MUST protect the sideline late in the game when the clock is your ally.

If I were a player, I'd be pissed too.

:bf1:

YardRat
10-09-2007, 08:59 PM

One of the ironic things is that if Greer doesn't knock the ball out of TO's hands on the two-pointer, the kick-off would have been deep, or at least a squib, and we still would have had a chance on a return or in OT.

Cleve
10-09-2007, 09:31 PM
100% correct and I hope that Marv reads this....

Why? If Marv can't figure it out, without a sports-journalist spoon-feeding it to him, should he even hold the job he does?

Throne Logic
10-09-2007, 09:38 PM

Your statement is just as rediculous. What's to say that Lynch doesn't pick up a first down on that run and the drive continues?

Besides, the point is that this coaching staff has been extremely bad with clock management. They were bad last year, too. Remember Dick's timeout challenge where he managed to loose 2 time outs in the second half on what was a rediculous challenge to begin with?

It's not so much that they called deep pass on third down with the lead in the waning moments of the game. It's that they didn't consider to utilize the clock as an ally. What's worse is that they didn't learn their lesson in the Denver game. The Monday night game presented them with about as exact of a duplicate situation as you ever will see. Furthermore, it presented that situation only a month after the initial occurance. What sort of stubborn fools make the mistake twice in barely over a month?

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice . . .

I am not one to call for heads to roll with each bump in the road. I've been trying to support Dick and company; hoping they'ed learn and evolve with time and more experience. But after last night, I'm no longer sure they are willing or even able to learn from their earlier judgement errors. I'm starting to believe that we should cut loose Dick and Fairchild. Elevate Bobby April to the head spot. That would maintain some continuity. It's not like the offense or game day decision making is going to somehow get worse.

tat2dmike77
10-09-2007, 09:43 PM
The pass by the goalline was just as stupid as the Henry half back pass against miami a couple of seasons ago.