PDA

View Full Version : Great Article by Nick Bakay, who is from Buffalo.

raphael120
10-09-2007, 05:33 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8031d987&template=with-video&confirm=true

Long may Bills owner Ralph Wilson ride. Though hale and hearty at 89 years old, he is 20 years past the point in life when an owner makes sure his team lands right upon his demise. Yet he refuses to make a plan of succession that will allow local ownership to at least try to keep the team in Buffalo. I don't think that's right. For all the great things Wilson has done for Bills fans over the years, I believe the 80,000 people who still sell out the Bills home games -- ten years since the last whiff of a playoff birth -- are worthy of being protected.
If this team lands elsewhere, including L.A., then the magic is gone. The genie is out of the bottle. You toss out decades of blood, sweat, tailgates and local identity so you can make sure you get bigger companies to buy corporate boxes, and it's over.
I'll close with one more naïve thought, one that I admit is totally oblivious to a world of wealth management I admit I don't fathom: Ralph, your $25,000 initial AFL investment has grown into $850 million -- how can you lose?
It's also a league issue. Anyone who saw those fans tonight can't sleep well if they don't help make the right thing happen.
Ralph is a great owner. He has always done right in the past. It says here he does right in the future.
To quote the great Lou Saban: "If we die, we die together. You can get it done, and what's more ... ya' gotta get it done."
There, I said it ...

justasportsfan
10-09-2007, 05:39 PM
the only ones who didn't choke last night was the 12th man. They represented . The entire NFL saw the passion of bills fans.
:bf1:

Historian
10-09-2007, 05:39 PM
:bf1:

raphael120
10-09-2007, 05:44 PM
I love the part where he says "The Noise. Tell me there is a louder stadium, thats right I said it Seattle."

So true. Wish I was at the game last night, but i definitly felt it in the packed Bills bar I was at. Man....that wouldve been the best game Ive ever seen since The Comeback if we won...

hydro
10-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Great article! :up:

AG75
10-09-2007, 06:49 PM
I think the saddest thing for me last night(aside from the agonizing loss) was the talk of how the Bills in Buffalo seemed to be over. The commentators sounded like they were reading a eulogy every time the issue was brought up. Then the camera panning to the very elderly Ralph Wilson. Ugh :(

Oaf
10-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Keep the Bills in Buffalo! :cry:

He nailed it. The magic, the 12th man, everything intangible that goes into being a Bills gone would be gone.

Captain gameboy
10-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Last night, Buffalo won.

JayWood
10-09-2007, 07:47 PM
As much as the loss hurt, everytime they paused to let the sound of the Ralph stand out on tv, everytime they showed the 70,000+ 12th man, every time they talked about the heart of our team.....THATS WHY I AM SO PROUD TO BE A FAN OF THE BUFFALO BILLS!!

churchinski
10-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Listen Ralph wilson had several opportunities to move this team and cash in.

He has been an owner for decades longer than some of the owners with far more profitable franchises.

He sacrifices his personal interests in the interest of western new york fans

No matter what has decided will happen after he is gone this man deserves some respect.

My money says that he has made arrangements to ensure that this team stays in Buffalo.

dannyek71
10-09-2007, 09:11 PM
My money says that he has made arrangements to ensure that this team stays in Buffalo.

If he did make these arrangements, atleast let us know that he made them so I can stop giving myself ulcers worrying about when this team is going to move

Michael82
10-09-2007, 09:18 PM
If he did make these arrangements, atleast let us know that he made them so I can stop giving myself ulcers worrying about when this team is going to move
Exactly! Great post. :bf1:

churchinski
10-09-2007, 10:10 PM

hey after decades of keeping his team in buffalo and foregoing the huge profit of moving this team , I don't need to see it in writing

when a person is loyal for decades he deserves the benefit of people trusting his intentions

CAbills
10-09-2007, 10:19 PM
It was the most awesome game I have ever attended till the last minute. The whole crowd was up the WHOLE game never had a sporting experience like that in my life, especially when I have been to playoff games in other sports this trumped them all.

Throne Logic
10-09-2007, 10:20 PM
hey after decades of keeping his team in buffalo and foregoing the huge profit of moving this team , I don't need to see it in writing

when a person is loyal for decades he deserves the benefit of people trusting his intentions

Now that is an excellent point.

Michael82
10-10-2007, 12:59 AM
It was the most awesome game I have ever attended till the last minute. The whole crowd was up the WHOLE game never had a sporting experience like that in my life, especially when I have been to playoff games in other sports this trumped them all.
Great post. I agree with you on all fronts. :bf1:

dannyek71
10-10-2007, 06:53 AM

I understand where you are coming from, and hope you are right. But what indications has he given us that he has made plans? (Thats me asking not questioning your statement.)